As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i had no idea what was happening but i liked it way too much

I found a better copy with subtitles:

http://tumblokami.tumblr.com/post/143032991443/shinobukaka-best-show-of-the-season

Tl;dr the red panda works in as an accountant

All her coworkers are annoying

Her rage builds inside until she karaokes death metal

A tale everyone can relate to

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    At least I'm doing something right as a parent.
    Not funny when I say to ur son, ok James let's put on some music this morning and he screams METAL!!! and then ROCK!!!

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    My son says something similar. Although he's only 2.5 yrs, so he just gets in the car and asks to listen to 'daddy's big music'.

• TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    It's a good feeling, isn't it!?

Mostly Broken

try this
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Currently at the Soilwork/Fear Factory show. The guy from Spades and Blades is trying to get some audience participation, but most people don't give a shit. They're not doing much for me yet.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeee thanks thread <3

I'll grab some earplugs from work and probably take my steel toed work boots home with me just so I don't get my feet smooshed during crowd shenanigans.
    Speaking of concerts, I caught Ghost and Tribulation last night. Both bands were excellent; if they're coming your way it's well worth it to go. They both played sets pretty heavy on their latest albums so if you're like me and can't get enough of The Children of the Night and Meliora then you're in for a treat.

In other news, has anyone heard the Metallica remasters? I've heard they're pretty lackluster.

I am so massively jealous. I adore Ghost and am super hoping I can catch them in concert at some point.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Ah man, fun story if we're doing the kids and metal thing. My daughter only really likes female singers. So she loves stuff like Leave's Eyes, Xandria, The Gathering, Sister Sin, Siouxsie and The Banshees and the like. However, she also really loves King Diamond. Like, the entireThem album. If "Welcome Home" comes on for any reason she will run from wherever she is in the house to rock out with me. She also likes Judas Priest. But you try playing anything with a more "manly" singer and she just does not like it. It's kind of cute, but also kind of annoying in a "How can you not like this?" sort of way.

Now that I've slept after getting back from the show at 3:30 this morning, I can post a little more about last night's show.

I think that Soilwork did a much better job tonight than the two times I saw them perform on Barge to Hell back in 2012. Björn Strid's clean vocals in particular were greatly improved. I kind of wish they'd played less songs from Stabbing the Drama and The Panic Broadcast, which I've never really gotten into.

It was nice to see Fear Factory perform my favorite album of theirs, Demanufacture. The last time I saw them live was in 1997, and they played with the same energy. After they played that album, they played 7 other songs. I found it pretty funny that they played "Archetype" and leaned over to my wife and said "This song is about when they kicked their guitarist out of the band, who has now rejoined the band." I suppose it's now about how they think they're better off without Raymond Herrerra and Christian Wolbers?

Anyway, glad I went. I probably don't need to go out of my way to see Fear Factory again, though. I'd see them if they came to my town, but making the trip to/from Chicago in one night is kind of rough on us. Not that it's a long drive at about 2 hours one way, but it feels very long at 2 AM after a show.

I don't know what's going on with Vattnet Viskar, but it seems like they have changed their name to just Vattnet. That's how their accounts on Facebook and Twitter are listed now. They're not responding to anyone's questions about the name on Facebook.

Also, it looks like their website has been taken over by a squatter or something. Something about a law blog.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    So the lineup tonight is
    Amon Amarth, Entombed A.D., Exmortus

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Giggity

Someone threw their watch on stage.
    Johan wrote:
    I think this is a fuckin first, how the fuck are you gonna tell time?!

Oh, last night was a blast.

Take a wild guess what song ended the night.
    13087548_10154167624264516_4157420195270730433_n.jpg?oh=a48686ea8876aa44f94ce37db5cdca99&oe=57AE924A

I don't have a picture of the best part, where he came out dressed like Loki in the dark and the crowd started booing because seriously fuck that guy.

Bolthorn wrote: »
    Ah man, fun story if we're doing the kids and metal thing. My daughter only really likes female singers. So she loves stuff like Leave's Eyes, Xandria, The Gathering, Sister Sin, Siouxsie and The Banshees and the like. However, she also really loves King Diamond. Like, the entireThem album. If "Welcome Home" comes on for any reason she will run from wherever she is in the house to rock out with me. She also likes Judas Priest. But you try playing anything with a more "manly" singer and she just does not like it. It's kind of cute, but also kind of annoying in a "How can you not like this?" sort of way.

Hmm

Have you tried Bikini Kill / Julie Ruin / Bratmobile etc?

Maybe she was just born to riot

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    WHOAH. Leave it to these guys to write something which seems like it's going to be so lame and chuggy but then inject something totally unexpected and round it out into a poignant, emotional song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdC_3LR2AI

Some of my friends went to the Amon Amarth gig here after we left PAX EAST this evening, but I had to go home (one-year anniversary with wife).

autothrall on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    That's a pretty rad tune, don't know why everyone on the internet is shitting all over it.

My color is black to the blind
    edited April 2016
    desc wrote: »

http://tumblokami.tumblr.com/post/143032991443/shinobukaka-best-show-of-the-season

I got drunk in Tokyo and tried that with Blind Guardian.

I didn't have a voice the next day.

I'd better stick with Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin next time.

Cantido on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Cantido wrote: »

I got drunk in Tokyo and tried that with Blind Guardian.

I didn't have a voice the next day.

I'd better stick with Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin next time.

As someone whose tessitura straddles the line between normal and counter-tenor, I fear nothing when it comes to karaoke. The higher and shriller, the better, from Plant's most pointed screams, Rush's 2112, to the chorus of A-Ha's "Take On Me', to Helloween's "Ride the Sky", anything by Boston, I eat those notes for breakfast. On a really good night I can break out Freddie Mercury's A5 in Under Pressure perfectly, although I'll admit I have a tendency to go sharp on that one depending on drunkeness level.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    As someone whose tessitura straddles the line between normal and counter-tenor, I fear nothing when it comes to karaoke. The higher and shriller, the better, from Plant's most pointed screams, Rush's 2112, to the chorus of A-Ha's "Take On Me', to Helloween's "Ride the Sky", anything by Boston, I eat those notes for breakfast. On a really good night I can break out Freddie Mercury's A5 in Under Pressure perfectly, although I'll admit I have a tendency to go sharp on that one depending on drunkeness level.

Did you have any formal training? I'd love to learn to sing. I've embarrassed myself enough times trying to sing Springsteen in bars to know that I ned some kind of help.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Did you have any formal training? I'd love to learn to sing. I've embarrassed myself enough times trying to sing Springsteen in bars to know that I ned some kind of help.

3 years of choir in school, and an old boss that worked in regional opera companies. I haven't done a daily practice regimen in years and my overall range has narrowed overtime (surprisingly on the lower end, my highs haven't seen much degradation, although I do have to go full falsetto a little earlier than I used to), but I can still hit 2 and a half octaves without straining or risking injury.

IME of helping some friends get into singing, best advise I can give is record yourself and be brutally honest when you listen to it. A huge chunk of the population don't have a real good feel for what they sound like to others, as your sinus cavities and ear canals act as a resonance chamber that typically lowers the pitch you, yourself hear, so what you hear in your own head is nowhere close to what others perceive, i.e. you think you're Pavarotti, while the rest of the world hears William Hung.

Springsteen is easy though, you just have to capture the look of Bruce on stage. Simply look like you're about to stroke out taking the biggest shit of your entire life, and you're there :D

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Here are my Metalz Pickz for April 2016, or thereabouts, before I forget to post them later in the week.

Fallujah Dreamless. Yeahhhhhhhh. You know it.

Glorior Belli Sundown (The Flock That Welcomes You). More French madness, albeit a little more traditional than what these guys have usually been doing with their bayou wanna-be aesthetic.

Haken Affinity. Prog stuff, Yes influence everywhere here but also some similarities to the Leprous record that topped my 2015, or a businer Karnivool.

Head of the Demon Sathanas Trimestigos. Occult black/heavy/creep metal with great atmosphere, from Sweden. You'll recall I really loved their first album as well. Other tunes on the album are more riffy, so no worries.

Ihsahn Arktis. No surprise here, I'm a fan of almost everything he's ever done, this album slays, prog black.

Khanus Rites of Fire. Reviewed it, good EP of occult/atmospheric death metal with awesome Root-like vocals.
    Moonsorrow Jumalten Aika. Nice, savage return to form for the Finnish epic black metal team.

Phazm Scornful of Icons. French band, they rarely disappoint, this album has a black, thrash & roll feel to it.
    Ustalost Spoor of Vipers. Raw, oppressive, atmospheric black metal from a member of Yellow Eyes, the album has been haunting me for a couple weeks now.

Zhrine Unortheta. How's THIS for a song title? Yet another Icelandic upstart, killer record.

More to come in late May!

autothrall on
    Well, the Haken, Ihsahn, and Zhrine are definitely going on my to-buy list.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    A few new things.

New Grand Magus! coming out.

https://youtu.be/A_9jrowMBz0

Scorpion Child is back with the classic throwback sound, but they definitely have a heavier sound this time around.

Not NSFW but a silhouette of a nude woman.
    And we don't have nearly enough Affliction metal in here. Hatebreed has a new album coming out. Surprising no one, it sounds a lot like their other albums.

https://youtu.be/viD6JMRGbbM

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    oh my god those Hatebreed subtitles

hahahahaha

edit: "Keep a positive mental attitude" aaahahahaha i'm dead

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    "Life isn't fair"
    "Live it to the fullest"

That's some real deep philosophy there, James.

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the time where this one girl was trying to convince me that Suicide Silence's lyrics were deep.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Cheers for the video posts guys, as always there's a couple bands in there I'll be listening to for some time.

In rather exciting news, Akercocke are back together! New song has been youtubed, and they've got some tour dates announced for later in the year.

I'm a big fan of theirs and never got to see them live, so I am rather pleased!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFZjFg0FVhI&amp;app=desktop

edited April 2016
    I remember liking that Yellow Eyes album a lot -- this Ustalost is pleasingly hopeless. Might have to pop over to bandcamp and buy this one.

Edit: okay bought

This shit is mad krieg

Edit 2: still listening on continuous repeat 4.5 hours later

desc on
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
  • TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Campy wrote: »
    Cheers for the video posts guys, as always there's a couple bands in there I'll be listening to for some time.

In rather exciting news, Akercocke are back together! New song has been youtubed, and they've got some tour dates announced for later in the year.

I'm a big fan of theirs and never got to see them live, so I am rather pleased!

Sounds very promising.

Also, huge thanks to new release hype posters one and all!!

Thanks especially to you @autothrall, because I know you are far too busy to post reviews to FtDR at like the '09 rate, but you still take the time and effort to share with us and that can't go unappreciated!!

Thanks to you all taking the time to catch us up on the latest goodies you've separated from the chaff, because there's like infinite chaff. ... so much chaff ... don't even have a mill ...

@Homeless - great call on Vänlade, nice and heavy!

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Anybody give the new Deftones a listen yet? I've gone through it once in two sittings today, and there's parts of it I really like, while other parts... probably need some more time to sink in. I'm looking forward to digging into it. And Jerry Cantrell plays a guest solo, so I mean... what's not to like?!
    Tbh it was sort of better than I expected but still a very weak 3/5... Not gonna spend any more time on it, sad to say.

Man, that's too bad! A lot of it is starting to grow on me.

The back half of the album is really, really good. The front half is a mixed bag.

Would put it ahead of Koi No Yokan which never really grew on me and miles ahead of their self titled.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Just read that Udo is taking his Dirkschneider tour to the US. I'm beyond pumped.

Beherit playing at a shopping mall in 1990:

http://youtu.be/C0-v8ytWclE

This is everything I want in a video

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    THE NEXT TIME SOMEBODY TRIES TO "OUT CULT" YOU. SHOW THEM THIS.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    of course i was going to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izaxvm9dK_k

Man, I want to pre-order so bad, but trying to save money...

Also April was the month of Vinyl for me, I got like 6 new presses and found 11 for .50 a piece at a thrift shop, so I feel spoiled already.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Beherit playing at a shopping mall in 1990:

http://youtu.be/C0-v8ytWclE

This is everything I want in a video

Finland. Knew the second I saw the 'ALE' sign.

• McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I want to do a shout-out to two new local bands from Montréal that completly blindsided me when I saw them live without knowing anything about them. The kind of band who starts playing and the crowd just immediatly goes "wtf, why is this so good ?!?".

Lüger (Nasty doom-ish heavy metal)
    https://lugerband.bandcamp.com/album/the-haunted-demo

Dealer (Straight-up crossover)
    https://dealermtl.bandcamp.com/releases

Edit : Inlined bandcamp would be pretty cool

McKid on
This discussion has been closed.