As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think she's a pretty decent vocalist.

Shes got a unique voice and knows how to convey emotion pretty well.

I just think ITM is derivative as f.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Also, fuck all you, the hottest person in metal by far is right here:

490_artist.jpg?2435

fb507164026a8d9c263f05000dbc01a5.jpg

Carcass_by_HenriKack.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    A human jigsaw to make whole

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    3 days until new Katatonia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_o_j6v3PGE
    Sounds more active in composition than Dead End Kings so far.

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
  • McKidMcKid Registered User regular

That album title... Never stop being you, Inquisiton <3

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Devin Townsend has been working on a new album for a while, and it looks like they've got a release date and cover art:

And a tour:

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Is this yoga drug metal

It looks like yoga drug metal

God dammit Fallujah. Why do you have to tour with two bands that I would need to be paid to see live?

steam_sig.png
    God dammit Fallujah. Why do you have to tour with two bands that I would need to be paid to see live?

I'm usually happy when a band I like is just the opener and I don't care about the other bands. It means I get to go home early!

SteevL wrote: »

I'm usually happy when a band I like is just the opener and I don't care about the other bands. It means I get to go home early!

Nah, because you've still got to pay for the other bands.

It's why I didn't bother to see Enslaved with Between the Buried and Me. Tickets were twice what they were when Enslaved headlines.

steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

It's why I didn't bother to see Enslaved with Between the Buried and Me. Tickets were twice what they were when Enslaved headlines.

I've been a huge Anathema fan since I bought Eternity in 1997. I had never seen them tour anywhere close to me (I don't think they've done many US tours) until a couple of years ago when they were doing a show in Houston, about 2.5 hours from here. Yes!

They're opening for HIM and tickets are $40 (x2, plus gas, plus dinner, plus hotel because fuck driving home after a show). No!

One day I will see them. Maybe.

I've been a huge Anathema fan since I bought Eternity in 1997. I had never seen them tour anywhere close to me (I don't think they've done many US tours) until a couple of years ago when they were doing a show in Houston, about 2.5 hours from here. Yes!

They're opening for HIM and tickets are $40 (x2, plus gas, plus dinner, plus hotel because fuck driving home after a show). No!

One day I will see them. Maybe.

D'oh!

steam_sig.png
    This album is like a thrashier mix of all four Emperor albums with more defined leads, plenty of great/cheesy choir synthesizers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqAEgT61l6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdbsGFrvbY

The production sounds more like their older stuff than their last two albums.

I approve!

steam_sig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I think Devin Townsend is awesome, as a musician and a weirdo.

I think Devin Townsend is awesome, as a musician and a weirdo.

I was originally familiar with him from his appearance in the early 90s with Steve Vai on Headbanger's Ball.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D_bb4xFi4M
    It was memorable to me as a teen, but I just considered him to be some goofy vocalist and didn't even buy that album he was on with Vai. And with that knowledge, when the first SYL album came out I just couldn't take it seriously for whatever reason. It sounded like a Fear Factory ripoff with jokes. It kind of seemed fake to me at the time.

It wasn't until the second Strapping Young Lad album and Ocean Machine that I genuinely became a fan of his music and eventually I came to appreciate his previous works. I can't say I like everything he's done (Physicist bores the crap out of me), but when I like it, I really like it.

I would rather give Devin Townsend money than BTBAM, for what it's worth. In fact, I did give Devin Townsend money once because he toured with Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

steam_sig.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    My introduction to Devin was through Vai as well. That album's fucking weird, and I say that as a fan of Vai's other stuff. There's a few gems on it though.

edited May 2016
    I would rather give Devin Townsend money than BTBAM, for what it's worth. In fact, I did give Devin Townsend money once because he toured with Paradise Lost and Katatonia.

I actually know absolutely nothing about BTBAM except what other people have said about them, and it's never been positive.

edit: and that show you mentioned sounds like a pretty good lineup!

SteevL on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I haven't really kept up with BTBAM and their most recent work, but Alaska and Colors are some fun proggy death records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0h71WceI4

I dunno, I dig it

y59kydgzuja4.png
    I like Between the Buried and Me a lot, specifically the stuff flamebroiled just mentioned, but also a bunch of their newer records have their moments too.

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular

I went to that tour just to see Paradise Lost. Was it worth a 2 hour drive to see them play seven songs? Yes. Yes it was.

My color is black to the blind
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Nails latest output Savage Intolerance is up on Spotify (and Apple too apparently).

Before getting your hopes up, it's just a single song for now.

Not quite as raw as their previous outputs, but heavy as a dump truck full of rocks.

Campy on
    New Katatonia is great, much more interesting and active compositions than Dead End Kings. Serac onward is just awesome.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    UNF! Much better for me than the other tune. Likewise on the video.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i hardly ever cross-post stuff, but now that i've had the opportunity to give suidakra's realms of odoric a few spins, i feel like i may as well just repeat what i stated on the metal-archives forums:
    I love Suidakra to death and tend to have an almost embarrassing positive bias when it comes to anything Tina Stabel is involved with, but this album disappointed me in a way that I haven't experienced since Command to Charge. Nothing stood out during the last few times I've spun this thing. Super basic Suidakra shit with very little creativity or inspiration. Just treading water in the most boring of ways all throughout. A couple of riffs and melodies made my ears perk up, but it never led to something truly memorable. When Suidakra knocks it out of the park, they really do create some music that, in my opinion, stands well apart from the bland and uninteresting fare offered up by lesser acts within the melodic death genre. Unfortunately, this comes with a caveat: They also occasionally release shit like Realms of Odoric. There was once a time when I felt like Suidakra, even at their worst, managed to craft music with a level of quality that stood well above most of their contemporaries. That doesn't happen anymore.

i hope be'lakor's new album is a lot better, because between suidakra's new release, what i've heard from skeletonwitch's upcoming thingy so far, and the new album from amon amarth, i've been remarkably disappointed with my usual mainstays lately. maybe kalmah can kill it again this time? i don't know. perhaps i'm just growing into a grumpy, piss-spewing bastard that's impossible to please. that is entirely possible.

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Eh, it happens. Sometimes a band loses what they had. I fully agree on that Amon Amarth album. Even with lowered expectations from the last two albums I was still disappointed.

My color is black to the blind
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i definitely feel like jomsviking would make a fucking bad ass film, though. give it maybe two hours with a great director, script, and visual style and i would add that shit to my "much watch" list immediately. that's practically asking the world of modern hollywood, though, so it is what it is.

i should take this time to mention that i hate the phrase "it is what it is". ignore the fact that i just used it. one of my several theses was based on something i described as "common catchy phrases that mean nothing; just a bunch of empty words that are strung together in order to present the fancy picture of depth where there is none". "it is what it is" ranked pretty high there.

why i'm still typing off-topic bullshit is a mystery.

uhhh, #hailmegatron

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    The new Be'lakor single is pretty great imo, so I'm excited for the album.

"an ember's arc" is, to me, one of those tracks you can just close your eyes and lay back to. it takes you on a completely unique journey that is entirely indicative of what music itself is capable of.

Good stuff, this one sounds like it could have been in the fantastic company of The Way of All Flesh. Can't wait for this.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Oh man that new Gojira track is a top 5 or 10 in "songs they've ever done".

This album is going to kill. \m/

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    That Gojira tune was ok, and the video was cool, but did people hate the Stranded track? :( I liked it better than this one...

I had Stranded on repeat for a bit, but Silvera...

This is a good spring/early summer.

That preview image is the best.

Panda4You wrote: »
    That Gojira tune was ok, and the video was cool, but did people hate the Stranded track? :( I liked it better than this one...

People did, but it's the internet. I felt Stranded was pretty well received here. I dug it as well.

This discussion has been closed.