As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do I call an electrician?

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
My handyman juices is starting to flow and I'm getting the urge to do something I've been meaning to do. Finishing my garage.

Right now I'm just picturing what I want to do to the garage and lighting is something that I want to address. Basically I want some ceiling mounted fluorescent fixtures. to give me uniform lighting whenever I'm working on my cars. As of now, there's no electrical wires in the garage outside of a outlet on the ceiling for the garage door.

Now, I consider myself a pretty handy guy. I've replace light fixtures and stuff before and I can read a DC circuit diagram and whatnot. I'm sure I can grab some books and learn how to do this, but something in the back of my head tells me that this is a job of a certified electrician.

So, guys, is this something I can learn to DIY or is this a job for the pros?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Can you do it? Yes.

Should you do it? Maybe.

What you want to do is really simple in terms of home electrical jobs. Slightly harder than replacing a busted fuse, but easier than adding an expansion box.

Doing this might only cost you a few hundred to have an electrician do it, depending on how accessible your electrical is. And it be worth the piece of mind. You could probably hook into the outlet in series, but only an electrician can really tell you boo. If the panel is in the garage and you could run a new circuit, that'd probably be worth attempting by yourself.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Listen, if you have to ask.....

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I feel like Geth should have an auto-post feature for every time someone asks, "should I get an electrician?" because it seems like the answer should be: yes, always.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So you want an electrician not because you can't DIY, but in case of an issue or electrical fire your insurance company will not pay you if you do your own electrical.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Listen, if you have to ask.....

Hire a fisherman and you'll eat for a day......

But yeah, I guess I should hire and electrician and get it done right. It can't cost that much, right?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't think it will, they're usually on the cheaper end because when you call an electrician, it's usually not an emergency.

Compared to a plumber...

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Something to always remember when it comes to DIY electrical work is you're working with something that can and will kill you with a single mistake. Or something just as bad but not as fatal, like short-circuiting.

I'd honestly consider the cost of an electrician not just as fee to stay out of the path of something so dangerous but also insurance in case something does get fucked up and it's not your fault.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If youre just needing lighting and you have an existing outlet you could get led fixtures that look like fluroescents but use standard 3 prong ac plugs into your existing outlet or a power strip.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    If youre just needing lighting and you have an existing outlet you could get led fixtures that look like fluroescents but use standard 3 prong ac plugs into your existing outlet or a power strip.

That what I currently am doing right now. But since I spend a fair amount of time in my garage, I kind of want to make it more comfortable.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    As many here have said, it's certainly possible to do yourself, but a lot of it really depends on specifics.

If the breaker box is in the garage, easily accessible, and the garage wiring isn't attached to a bunch of other stuff in the house... then you might be able to do it yourself without too much of a problem.

But at the end of the day, I'd basically ask yourself this.

Is this something you want to know how to do, and will put to use again?

Or is this a one time thing you will probably never do again in your life, or at least a good number of years?

If it's a one time thing, the garage wiring looks messy, or you just don't feel comfortable... just get an electrician to do it.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    In the past when I'm dealing with the magic pixies in the lines I've done research and wired things up myself but not connected it, then had an electrician come in and inspect it and hook it up. Works out nicely as I can BS and learn a bit here and there depending on the job.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »

That what I currently am doing right now. But since I spend a fair amount of time in my garage, I kind of want to make it more comfortable.

You can buy hanging lights that plug into a standard socket. I used those setting up work benches.