As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I am extremely out of shape even though my body is fairly slim. (Like it takes me about 15 minutes to run a mile lol) I would like to change this. >< Also @Liiya reminded me that exercising can help with anxiety, so it's definitely a must for me. But whenever I try working out, it's hard for me to keep up with it for more than a few days. I'm thinking about getting a dance game like DDR or Just Dance because I feel like it might be a good way to make exercising fun, and make me actually want to do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Motivation is a big thing. And as someone who suffers from depression and social anxiety, yeah it can improve your mood.

I know I like running cause I'm a bit of a homebody and the fresh air does me a lot of good.

As for DDR and stamina my brother is big on exercise and he used to do that. And generally the only way to built cardiovascular stamina is to work at it.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if we can have a mental health thread? Hearing awesome formers like liiya and builder mention their anxiety and depression in passing makes me feel so much more normal, because they're totally awesome and they have shit going on too. Not to like publicly call attention to you two or anything, I just kind of can't believe how much it matters to me that people I think are totally awesome are dealing with it too.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we can have a mental health thread? Hearing awesome formers like liiya and builder mention their anxiety and depression in passing makes me feel so much more normal, because they're totally awesome and they have shit going on too. Not to like publicly call attention to you two or anything, I just kind of can't believe how much it matters to me that people I think are totally awesome are dealing with it too.

We did but there were forumer dependency problems so we didn't.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The best motivator to get me off my ass was sports. I was walking around all skinny-flabby for too many years and then joined a volleyball league. The cardio and social interaction were a great pick me up. Then I bought a bike, then another bike that was faster, joined a second volleyball team, and then started lifting again last February. I only look marginally better (thanks to the lifting) but I feel better than I have in years and I'm still making progress.

I've probably dropped about 6-7 pounds but weight loss isn't actually my goal. I'm trying to build some muscle to replace the beer gut.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Yeah it's nice to not feel so alone in dealing with this stuff. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    builderr0r wrote: »
    I am extremely out of shape even though my body is fairly slim. (Like it takes me about 15 minutes to run a mile lol) I would like to change this. >< Also @Liiya reminded me that exercising can help with anxiety, so it's definitely a must for me. But whenever I try working out, it's hard for me to keep up with it for more than a few days. I'm thinking about getting a dance game like DDR or Just Dance because I feel like it might be a good way to make exercising fun, and make me actually want to do it.

I think we must have very similar bodies! What I'm doing at the moment is exercising three times a week for 20mins minimum, one day for a run (I do not time myself, I take my music and blast it through my earphones, make it fun) then the second time I do some sort of aerobics/dancing to music which is also fun for 20mins, and the third time (tomorrow!) will be skipping, with my music which is also fun.

It is very hard to keep the motivation going, but its just getting into the habit and not making excuses, which I am bad for doing.

@JihadJesus that is very sweet! My anxiety ebbs and flows, for me having a pattern and a plan/schedule helps a lot for when it does arise and is a pain in the arse.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My wife's lost 60 lbs at this point and a Zumba Kinect game is what got her started, using games as a gateway to fitness is completely legit.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    A lot of my female friends swear by the 20 min workout videos you can find on youtube.

• Options
    If you can do some exercise outside, even a walk through a park, do try. I've been researching the health benefits of nature all summer and green spaces especially in urban areas, have been shown to: reduce mortality from cardio-vascular disease, improve healing times, improve self-perceived general health, reduce stress and anxiety, reduce respiratory illness and allergies, improve social cohesion and improve cognitive ability.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    My mental health is what essentially got me into caring about my fitness again. I know I've already mentioned this in the bigman thread, but I had a bunch of mental shit going on and decided to see a doc. My first visit, he told me to get myself right. Exercise, sleep, diet, time for myself. The first three resonated with me pretty hard.

So I started hitting the gym. I knew that I absolutely hated traditional cardio, so I stopped doing it. I guess I had always felt obligated to integrate running or biking into a workout plan in the past, but I dreaded that shit so much. I'd get to a point where I would start skipping cardio, feel guilty, then end up skipping everything.

Now I just lift. I don't worry about cardio. Would I benefit from a bit of cardio? Yeah, I suppose. Trade-off for me though is the motivation I have now. I look forward to every session in the gym when I roll my ass out of bed at 4:30am. I guess what I'm saying is, if there's a particular thing you dislike about working out, don't do that thing and don't feel bad about it. Bonus if you find a way to do that thing that makes it fun for you.

And yeah, working out and managing my diet/sleep has helped me out a lot in the mental department(and other departments). It wasn't a cure-all, but it helped me get to a place where I can manage my shit and not feel like the walls are closing in on me all the time.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Lifting in my opinion is more important than cardio. You still increase your heart rate and burn fat while increasing strength when lifting.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Butters wrote: »
    Lifting in my opinion is more important than cardio. You still increase your heart rate and burn fat while increasing strength when lifting.

And doing what you enjoy is objectively the most important.
    Lifting isn't always that.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I've just signed up to learn how to fence which I'm super excited about!

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    I've just signed up to learn how to fence which I'm super excited about!

I took a couple of lessons recently and it's super fun!

Also be prepared to sweat tons thanks to those outfits.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Also you can lift and do cardio with resistance intervals or circuit! Loads of options

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I've been putting in about 150 miles a week on the bike, which has been great, but it only just dawned on me that I'm gonna have to do something to keep the rest of me from going noodley and I hate lifting uuuuugh.

One week into eating better, so I'll stick with that a little bit longer before picking up the weights.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've been putting in about 150 miles a week on the bike, which has been great, but it only just dawned on me that I'm gonna have to do something to keep the rest of me from going noodley and I hate lifting uuuuugh.

One week into eating better, so I'll stick with that a little bit longer before picking up the weights.

lift your bike!

I just walked for 20 minutes during lunch

felt good. thank goodness for fall weather.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i should prob start eating healthy again if i ever want to see my abs again, even a little

today's lunch philly cheesesteak, fritos, mexicoke

#healthyliving

poo
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Depending on what you enjoy being effective and you do it often enough to make a difference, sure.

Not everyone likes green vegetables but everyone should eat them. I feel the same about lifting.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    You get huge returns regarding health just briskly walking for a total of 30 minutes a day with rapid diminishing returns after that

the best exercise is the one you'll do

• Options
    You get huge returns regarding health just briskly walking for a total of 30 minutes a day with rapid diminishing returns after that

the best exercise is the one you'll do

Except if that exercise is romanian deadlifts with an arched back, ouch ouch

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    First cold of the year came the day after 4 hours of climbing and lifting. I hate taking time off but I'm pretty sure my body is telling me to slow it down a little.

So zinc, tea, and rest it is.

• Options
    http://summitgyms.com/2015/09/10/they-came-they-saw-they-conquered-for-12-hours-straight-a-recap-of-our-12hss-comp/

So here's a cool write up about the 12 hour climbing comp I did a couple of weeks ago. Some crazy stats (I placed 14 out of 28 in the intermediate level). We even got our picture in there (Team Le Fountebleau)

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    I have a bit of a history with weight, depression, and injuries / general health problems. I was always a sports person in my formative years (first hockey, then football, mostly bush league in the relative sense, but always felt competitive when I did them). I stopped all sports in college, and then for years struggled with depression and lack of motivation. My weight ballooned from 175lbs in high school, up to a high of ~240lbs, which might not sound quite as bad as it really was (175lbs at 8% body fat is quite a different story from 240lbs at 30%+ body fat). I tried successfully once to "just lift" and lost weight down to the 185lb range after my Dad needed triple bypass, but that motivation only lasted as long as I was scared of a heart attack for myself.

The thing that made weight loss stick was first - Snowboarding. My depression was always worse in the winters, and I didn't really realize that for most of my life, winter meant Hockey was in full swing, and that always made me happy. Finding a thing to make me happy in winter time was a huge help managing my brain being cranky when the sun is basically gone for my entire waking day (I go to work before the sun rises, and leave work after it sets during the winter). Snowboarding then made me want to get better at snowboarding, which drove me to the gym.

That only covered part of the year, though, and so my health improved, but only to a certain part.

The next step was finding a thing I could do year round that I enjoyed. That, for me, has been climbing. Granted, it's also been a source of injury (major ankle injury about 2 months ago that I'm still recovering from), but climbing has been more than enough motivation to get into the gym to improve. Hell, most of what I've dealt with this summer has been finding ways to take it slower and easier to allow fingers and elbows to catch up and rest after climbing so much.

I do basically zero standard cardio. I never run, ever. If I ever do anything purely cardio, it's 20-30 miles on my road bike because the weather is gorgeous. The real key for me, more than anything else, is finding something you love that requires some kind of physical fitness. Then the lifting/cardio doesn't feel like work. It feels like steps towards a real, tangible, enjoyable goal.

There are also more stories for me about how fitness got me through cancer and such, but as far as being applicable to other folks, the main key is: find a thing you love to do that gets you active. That will (eventually, possibly) provide motivation for you to do all sorts of other things to get healthier. I still don't have 6 pack abs because I do love desserts, but I find limiting myself to once or twice a week is much easier when I know I'll have to lift that ice cream again, only this time hanging from my finger tips.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    http://summitgyms.com/2015/09/10/they-came-they-saw-they-conquered-for-12-hours-straight-a-recap-of-our-12hss-comp/

So here's a cool write up about the 12 hour climbing comp I did a couple of weeks ago. Some crazy stats (I placed 14 out of 28 in the intermediate level). We even got our picture in there (Team Le Fountebleau)

That seems fun as hell and a great way to build some good relationships at the gym!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am up to 370lbs now.

I'm really not happy with it and having a car so I can get places just sitting on my ass isn't helping.

Anyway I stated trying to keep track of my calories today and had a light breakfast and lunch (light for me at least. Plenty of carbs but ya know small changes)

Then I got myself fast food for dinner :( I made it half a day at least...

Usually I have like 2 big meals like that a day. So at least I'm only at 1800 calories today instead of more than 2500 like I often am.

• Options
    Uriel I know you say "I made it half a day at least" in a bad way, but thats actually a really good thing that you made it halfway, starting and keeping trying is good!

I went swimming today for the first time in ages, my muscles.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's cooling down around here now, so mornings are brisk instead of muggy. Couple that with my new impending work schedule and I think I'd got a solid half hour slot to do my routine before work. Going to record my current weight and start finalizing said routine.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Going through that period where you're losing weight but gaining muscle and trying not to let the scale get to me.

I should really just stop using it altogether but I like seeing progress.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Get ye tape measure

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    i should prob start eating healthy again if i ever want to see my abs again, even a little

today's lunch philly cheesesteak, fritos, mexicoke

#healthyliving

I believe you belong here.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    Uriel I know you say "I made it half a day at least" in a bad way, but thats actually a really good thing that you made it halfway, starting and keeping trying is good!

I went swimming today for the first time in ages, my muscles.

Thanks Liiya

Also I haven't had any soda all day so far and my head is killing me blah.

I should also probably get some dinner in me too though. I'm at 800 calories so far today.

• Options
    Drink black coffee if you need caffeine.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    That's what I've been doing in the morning but past 5 PM no more caffeine for me.

Because I could have soda past 5 pm and still be able to sleep, coffee has way more caffeine in it so it would make that rough.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    HaHA, turns out I'm allergic to my parents spare room. Moved out and feel instantly eight times fitter. 10km run tomorrow morning.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of looking up the amount of calories in Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Ice Blended Caramel Latte:780.

Almost half of my allowed calories in a single large drink.

On a brighter note: I've been going to the gym Monday - Thursday from 6:00 am to 7:30 am for almost two months. Pretty proud of myself. I'm hovering around 205. I don't even consider not going anymore, it's part of my routine which is what I wanted.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    HaHA, turns out I'm allergic to my parents spare room. Moved out and feel instantly eight times fitter. 10km run tomorrow morning.

That's amazing. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Uriel wrote: »
    That's what I've been doing in the morning but past 5 PM no more caffeine for me.

Because I could have soda past 5 pm and still be able to sleep, coffee has way more caffeine in it so it would make that rough.

Depends on the brew strength and bean type. You can brew darker coffee weaker for less caffeine.

Also in the afternoons I love V8 V-Fusion+energy There's slightly less caffeine than your average cup of Joe, a good amount of vitamins, and only 50 calories per can

Butters on
  • Options
    I'll have to try one of those sometime Butters.

This discussion has been closed.