As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    water tastes disgusting in the pool so I go the hour or whatever without any but it hasn't bothered me at all with cramps

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    generally speaking, you're not supposed to drink the pool water. The chlorine and everybody's urine makes it taste a bit off.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I got some really tight pants and now I kind of want to try out some exercises to see if I can get an even better butt.

Assercices if you will.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Spot training doesn't really work all that well. But for general exercises, squats, deadlifts, bridges, and lunges are going to be what you're aiming for.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone use any of the Fitbit products?

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The difference on the incline is not much, lifting the weight is easy, the hard part is getting it off the rack and over my chest and getting it back. It's really hard and thus I'm too scared to go too high weight wise. Maybe the rack suggestion is the way to go. I'm following this routine, so two of those are incline presses, one barbell and the other dumbell. Dumbell is fine, that's like 28kg each at minute, but that rack is just messed up. If it wasn't so far behind me wouldn't be a problem I don't think, but I wanted to check here because I figured maybe i was just doing it wrong.
    I think you just need to use a different setup. See if you can move an adjustable angle bench into a squat rack for your inclined bench sets. That way, you can set your lift off / rerack point above your chin, say 6 inches below the max height of your lift, and 6 inches behind the vertical plane of your inclined bench movement, with the lower safety bars set below your chest.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Spot training doesn't work to lose weight in an area, but you can definitely build muscle in specific locations by training them.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I do, I have a Charge HR. What do you need to know?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Do you like it? Is it easy to use? How does it compare comfort wise to a regular watch?

• Options

Do you like it? Is it easy to use? How does it compare comfort wise to a regular watch?

I'm a pretty big fan of it.

The soft rubber band is more comfortable and easy to adjust than a leather or metal watch strap.

I've found it very easy to use. My biggest problems have been in changing time zones - I don't change time zones very often, but when I do it doesn't necessarily handle a day the way I'd expect to. I've synced it to my phone, no issues regarding syncing personally. My mother synced hers to her laptop, and sometimes the laptop refuses to acknowledge that the tracker exists - I'd recommend that you sync to a tablet or phone if you have the choice.

The Charge HR tends to be the recommended Fitbit. It has the pedometer and sleep monitor functionality, and also a heart rate monitor. The heart rate monitor is less accurate than getting the kind you attach to your chest, but it's fairly accurate at lower intensity levels for most body types.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I have a Jawbone Up (we have a 2 and a 3) and I would highly recommend going with Fitbit instead. I've had my Up3 since February and am on the third warranty replacement. I only bought the Up2 because it was like $30 on sale and I figured at that price I could deal with any issues that came up. It's a bummer because the app is super nice but I soooo can't recommend it

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    If you're looking for more diverse exercise tracking, I've been pretty happy with the Microsoft Band 2. In addition to tracking stuff like running and cycling, you can create your own workouts through Microsoft Health (find an exercise in the database, choose number of sets, number of reps, rest periods, etc.), you sync the workout to your band, and then the band will tell you what exercise to do during your workout. It also has all the bells and whistles like sleep tracking and heart rate and stuff.
    Downsides: BATTERY LIFE. It lasts a little over a day, then it needs 45 minutes to 1 hour to recharge. Also, the band itself is built into the device and there are sensors running through it, so you can't adjust much for size and if the band breaks, the device is pretty much worthless.

There's another iteration of the Microsoft Band coming this fall that I'm looking forward to, but this one is pretty good if you're looking to do more than just run or bike when you workout.

godmode on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I am sorry that your battery problem does not allow you to come running with me anymore.

You were with me on nearly every trek since 2011 and I could not have asked for a better companion on those long ass trips of solitude.

Almost three thousand miles.

Godspeed, little Ipod.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if I need the heart rate monitor. Maybe ill just go with the charge.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hey everybody!

So between working full-time, going to school technically full-time and having a kid in December, I'd completely abandoned any diet or workout regimen for the past 9ish months. After getting on a scale to see how much my daughter has grown and seeing I'd reached almost 240 when I usually walk around at 190-200 I've decided to start taking care of myself again.

I've read this whole thread and y'all are some inspirational mofos. I'm sure it's easy to forget, but there are people that don't post but read the thread and seeing the work some of you are doing is really encouraging. So thanks for posting!

Anyway, based on the discussion in here, I downloaded myfitnesspal and set myself to losing 1.5 lb a week. It says I need ~2100 cals a day, but I'm trying to come in under that each day. I'm also trying intermittent fasting, eating between noon and 8pm. Outside of those hours, it's just water and black coffee. It was a bit of an adjustment, but it's kind of a timesaver too, not having to worry about making a breakfast. I'm also avoiding carbs and getting most of my calories from protein/veggies and fats. It's nice not having the post-lunch energy crash I used to have every day.

Finally, even though I have a super cheap gym membership, because of time restraints I picked up a used Concept2 rowing machine off craigslist. Going outside and rowing for 10 min (gonna work up to 30 min eventually) every day instead of the 1-1.5 hour gym trip is much easier. Well, finding the time is easier, the rowing itself is kicking my ass.

If anyone else rows and is near my times or uses the Concept2 logbook, maybe we can race each other? Let me know!

shorttimin on
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if I need the heart rate monitor. Maybe ill just go with the charge.

It's interesting information to have. It's been able to track my heart rate declining over the last year, from 66-70 BPM to 52-56 BPM. It gives me a slightly less subjective idea of how intensely I'm working out.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Rowing machines are great for high intensity interval work. You can get yourself a proper workout in that 10-30 minute window no problem if you really learn to hate yourself.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Rowing machines are great for high intensity interval work. You can get yourself a proper workout in that 10-30 minute window no problem if you really learn to hate yourself.

I have a coworker that lost so much weight from rowing I thought he was fighting a terminal illness. He told me he rows for about 30 minutes at 35 strokes per minute. First time I sat down and started it was pretty much "lolnope! 10 minutes and 20 spm for me!"

After I finish rowing I put my feet on the seat and do 10 pushups, 10 reverse crunches and then I collapse off to the side. Standing up after that is always exciting.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    He rows at a 35 stroke rate for 30 minutes? That's uh faster than he probably should be for that long. Going to guess the resistance he has it set at is probably a bit lower though.

As a former rower, for the love of god please watch a video or something and learn how to use a rowing machine. Not just so you can avoid me glaring at you across the gym but because you are probably going to hurt yourself. Rowing is 70% legs, 25% back and 5% arms.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah strokes per minute isn't a great metric on its own, you can get wayyy more power out of a proper stroke even though it might take longer than a shitty one. Probably better to aim for a pace speed while hitting full range of motion with smooth powerful acceleration on the pull

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Aphostile wrote: »
    He rows at a 35 stroke rate for 30 minutes? That's uh faster than he probably should be for that long. Going to guess the resistance he has it set at is probably a bit lower though.

As a former rower, for the love of god please watch a video or something and learn how to use a rowing machine. Not just so you can avoid me glaring at you across the gym but because you are probably going to hurt yourself. Rowing is 70% legs, 25% back and 5% arms.

That's probably why he looks like he's on the cancer diet. I'm not going for that, though it would be nice to be able to put my socks on without having to sit down.

I will be reviewing videos. I watched a few before I got the rower, but now that I'm going to do it regularly I'll make sure my form is good. Currently the baffle is set to 3 out of 10, which is supposed to simulate water, and the drag factor is just above 100.

I've been spending my time rowing watching the spm and the watts, trying to keep them both steady at 21 +/- 1 and 90+/- 5, respectively, as well as keeping my back straight and my shoulders back. I was told to think "Legs, hips, arms, arms, hips, legs"

Any tips you use to keep your form in check? Having something like a mantra helps me zone but also be aware of what my body is doing during the row.
    Yeah strokes per minute isn't a great metric on its own, you can get wayyy more power out of a proper stroke even though it might take longer than a shitty one. Probably better to aim for a pace speed while hitting full range of motion with smooth powerful acceleration on the pull

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I should focus on on the display. Someone said SPM and watts is good, because it tracks the rate and the power of your rowing and if you keep those stable, that means you're consistent row to row. They likened it to saying you wouldn't randomly speed up or down and alternate stomping and running on your toes, so why do that while rowing.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    Hey everybody!

So between working full-time, going to school technically full-time and having a kid in December, I'd completely abandoned any diet or workout regimen for the past 9ish months. After getting on a scale to see how much my daughter has grown and seeing I'd reached almost 240 when I usually walk around at 190-200 I've decided to start taking care of myself again.

I've read this whole thread and y'all are some inspirational mofos. I'm sure it's easy to forget, but there are people that don't post but read the thread and seeing the work some of you are doing is really encouraging. So thanks for posting!

Anyway, based on the discussion in here, I downloaded myfitnesspal and set myself to losing 1.5 lb a week. It says I need ~2100 cals a day, but I'm trying to come in under that each day. I'm also trying intermittent fasting, eating between noon and 8pm. Outside of those hours, it's just water and black coffee. It was a bit of an adjustment, but it's kind of a timesaver too, not having to worry about making a breakfast. I'm also avoiding carbs and getting most of my calories from protein/veggies and fats. It's nice not having the post-lunch energy crash I used to have every day.

Finally, even though I have a super cheap gym membership, because of time restraints I picked up a used Concept2 rowing machine off craigslist. Going outside and rowing for 10 min (gonna work up to 30 min eventually) every day instead of the 1-1.5 hour gym trip is much easier. Well, finding the time is easier, the rowing itself is kicking my ass.

If anyone else rows and is near my times or uses the Concept2 logbook, maybe we can race each other? Let me know!

Don't skip breakfast! That's what gets you started!

It's great that you're trying to improve your health.

• Options
    Hey everybody!

Don't skip breakfast! That's what gets you started!

It's great that you're trying to improve your health.

Thanks! I'm not cemented into the fasting or the fasting window, I'm just giving things a trial run and seeing how my body reacts. My body seems to be learning the eating window, hunger pangs are getting shorter outside the 8 hours. I'm also rowing in the morning, so I'm hoping that wakes me up a bit and gets my body looking for energy.

I used to get shaky when I haven't eaten for a few hours, but now that I've been doing the fasting I don't notice it anymore, even if I drink coffee on an empty stomach. Again, just testing some things out. If I start to feel like it's detrimental, I'll switch back to normal eating windows. It is nice having a strict rule that I can use to not snack after dinner.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Fasting works, exercising before breakfast works. Both work by convincing your body (over time) to burn more fat than carbohydrates.

However, intense workouts can cause you to crash mid workout, if you don't have enough carbohydrates in your body before the workout, as your body always burns some amount of carbohydrates during any workout.

So it's a balancing act. You'll burn more fat exercising before breakfast, but you'll be able to exercise more intensely in the evening, after you've had a meal.

That said, during the weekends, I pretty much do my normal lifting routine on an empty stomach before brunch, and I haven't seen any appreciable difference compared to my evening workouts during the week. And if you look up videos or blogs, my experience is similar to a lot of other people's experience.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Fasting works, exercising before breakfast works. Both work by convincing your body (over time) to burn more fat than carbohydrates.

However, intense workouts can cause you to crash mid workout, if you don't have enough carbohydrates in your body before the workout, as your body always burns some amount of carbohydrates during any workout.

So it's a balancing act. You'll burn more fat exercising before breakfast, but you'll be able to exercise more intensely in the evening, after you've had a meal.

That said, during the weekends, I pretty much do my normal lifting routine on an empty stomach before brunch, and I haven't seen any appreciable difference compared to my evening workouts during the week. And if you look up videos or blogs, my experience is similar to a lot of other people's experience.

It doesn't really matter what fuel source your body is burning during exercise when it comes to overall weight loss. Fasting can help some people lose weight because it helps them eat less over all.

• Options
    hsu wrote: »

It doesn't really matter what fuel source your body is burning during exercise when it comes to overall weight loss. Fasting can help some people lose weight because it helps them eat less over all.

I have never in my life been able to work out after eating if it's anything more than a handful of almonds or something. I just get nauseous. I have no doubt it works for other people, but I have always lifted or done cardio in the morning before eating.

Currently fasting is helping most by letting me avoid morning carbs and late night snacks, as well as filling up more on water and giving myself some time to see if I'm actually hungry or just bored and my body wants the food that has been routine till now.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Lost another half an inch on my hips, a small amount of my stomach and the same on my bum.

Lost 4 inches on my hips since the end of march which doesn't seem much but considering I've gotten married and had several holiday's and the honeymoon during that period I think it's gone ok!

• Options

It's interesting information to have. It's been able to track my heart rate declining over the last year, from 66-70 BPM to 52-56 BPM. It gives me a slightly less subjective idea of how intensely I'm working out.

Yeah, I could be a nerd about running!

But

I'm not sure what is the point of monitoring my heart rate though

Like is it a good metric for overall health? If im doing the same thing but my heart is working less

• Options

But

Like is it a good metric for overall health? If im doing the same thing but my heart is working less

It's good information to have in my opinion. For example, if you start using it and see your resting heart rate is over 100 BPM, that may be cause for concern. And as you get into better shape, the slow drop in your resting heart rate is a good sign worth tracking. If your heart starts behaving oddly, it's data that could be useful to a doctor in diagnosing you. It helps you set baselines that you can look to for the rest of your life.

It won't be as accurate as a chest monitor, but it's far cheaper, and for most people it's not going to be a huge issue if it's off by 2-3 BPM while exercising.

It's a little like keeping weight and size measurements (waist size, neck size, etc). Is it necessary? Not in the slightest. Is it interesting, and potentially useful information to have? I think so.

• Options

But

It's good information to have in my opinion. For example, if you start using it and see your resting heart rate is over 100 BPM, that may be cause for concern. And as you get into better shape, the slow drop in your resting heart rate is a good sign worth tracking. If your heart starts behaving oddly, it's data that could be useful to a doctor in diagnosing you. It helps you set baselines that you can look to for the rest of your life.

It won't be as accurate as a chest monitor, but it's far cheaper, and for most people it's not going to be a huge issue if it's off by 2-3 BPM while exercising.

It's a little like keeping weight and size measurements (waist size, neck size, etc). Is it necessary? Not in the slightest. Is it interesting, and potentially useful information to have? I think so.

It's also useful for other reasons! I bought the Up3 originally because I'm on ADHD medications, aka speed, and wanted to make sure my heart rate wasn't skipping through the roof. My husband uses it now because when he has panic attacks or anxiety he is convinced his heart rate is spiking and now he can see that it isn't.

• Options
    Those are nice benefits to the charge hr. Thanks!

Why do I feel like I'm going to soil myself when I start jogging?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    That's normal for any amount of exertion if you're not used to it. When I was a kid I'd have the same feeling when I was carrying stuff on the farm at the start of summer, because I was not very active for the rest of the year.

As you get used to it the feeling will cease to be a problem

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I dunno about that. I have a buddy who has turned into an actual runner, and at this point he always plans a warm-up run of about 10 minutes, then a shit break, then the actual run, 'cause he knows it's going to, in his words, "shake loose."

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Second run since my knee problems.

I can officially say my hydration solution is holding me back. Made it 7KM, could've done more but I ran out of water at about 5'ish KM and decided to not risk it.

6 minutes per KM pace, which is my best yet! New shoes are amazing. Worth the relatively high price.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Went to watch Central Intelligence at the dollar theatre yesterday and that movie surprisingly hit way too close for comfort.

The Rock plays a former fat kid who got bullied and changed himself to well..The Rock. Yet its clear that he's still the insecure fat kid in many points of the movie.

The two parts that got to me
    When talking about his previous trauma in highschool, he mentions that he deals with it by balling up all those feelings, pushing them down and then just ignoring them.

Then later, when confronting his previous bully,he freezes up. The bully says something along the lines of "Once a fat always a fat kid" and then there's a shot of The Rock looking at his reflection and just seeing his old self.

Too real!

Kyougu on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    does the rock beat that guy up

• Options
    Those are nice benefits to the charge hr. Thanks!

Why do I feel like I'm going to soil myself when I start jogging?
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That's normal for any amount of exertion if you're not used to it. When I was a kid I'd have the same feeling when I was carrying stuff on the farm at the start of summer, because I was not very active for the rest of the year.

As you get used to it the feeling will cease to be a problem
    chromdom wrote: »
    I dunno about that. I have a buddy who has turned into an actual runner, and at this point he always plans a warm-up run of about 10 minutes, then a shit break, then the actual run, 'cause he knows it's going to, in his words, "shake loose."

Haha the things I am learning sure a goofy!

I did better yesterday
    I didn't have the urge to poop, for starters.

I walked a mile, ran a half, walked a half, for the whole 5k circuit.

I did three stretches of running. The last one was rough! I feel sore, but satisfied today.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    At the end, when he's gotten his confidence back.

And that guy is Jason Bateman!

• Options
    I think my favorite part of that movie is that he's exactly the same person, he's a super socially awkward nerd who wears I love unicorn shirts and shit, but everyone respects him or is attracted to him because he's the Rock and built as fuck

or perhaps the part where he's like oh I didn't do that much really haha just worked out six hours a day every day for the last twenty years it was really nothing

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    At the end, when he's gotten his confidence back.

And that guy is Jason Bateman!

Oh, shit. I need to see the movie just for that.

Also just ordered a small Foreman Grill off Amazon because I've lost the weight before, I can do it again, I actually have enough money to buy chicken breasts and vegetables and I have a gym membership but I'm rapidly approaching. Lotsa lean meats for me in the very near future.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
This discussion has been closed.