As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I should see if that is on Redbox yet. There's no way I was paying full price, but at the same time, I kinda have to watch it once.

Also, my wife always laughs, because I absolutely have to poop before I do any sort of exercise in the morning. It is clockwork.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I often get the poops when my body temperature gets high. During the summer, I try to do more intense exercise in the evening when it's cooler.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    @tube what was that supplement that helps with your sleep?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Competing in a 12 Hour Climbing Competition this weekend, having done it a year ago.

Competing is a strong wording though as I don't expect to place (lots of climbers sandbag these comps don't help).

Still pretty psyched. I think I'm stronger than I was last year, so I'm aiming to beat my score/total climbs (100) and they're adding fun diversions like yoga classes and ab classes through out the comp for extra points.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    @tube what was that supplement that helps with your sleep?

ZMA

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    They brought Zima back?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I realized my feet were more sore than my legs, so I went to a shoe store some friends D's of mine recommended. The salesperson was very nice, very helpful. She checked out my stride, had me jog on a treadmill, had me try on a bunch of shoes, and repeat.

I bought some shoes with support. I think they feel good and look nice.

q2drBkI.jpg

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I liked the Brooks that I bought and they were super comfortable! I just wish they weren't so damn expensive.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Those are pretty snazzy kicks, indeed.

• Options
    They have so much support that my feet are kind of tired.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Six weeks to the marathon.

There's an arrow pointing to the next three weeks on my training plan and the word 'fuuuuuuck'.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    My heels are tired and sore.

I guess I'll bike 10k instead of the walk and jog thing.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Does anyone have suggestions on lower back exercises or stretches? It's killing me atm.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    10k done!

Just over 7:00/km pace. Knee bugged me from km 2-5 so I took it slow.

Onwards to 20 by end of October.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    For some relaxtion of your lower back you can lie on your back with your calves supported on a chair or stool so your knees are bent at a right angle and your femurs are mostly vertical. like so. Taking deep belly breaths in this position and "breathing into the pain" can help. (sounds weird but try it)

mccart on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    thanks, I'll try it out :)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Does anyone have suggestions on lower back exercises or stretches? It's killing me atm.

I know a gray physio if you need one. Pm me.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    something I do for my back is lie on your stomach, then prop yourself up on your elbows. that way your back muscles can actually relax since it's a position you are never in in a normal day, your back is always extended

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've contacted the British dragon boat racing team here in Singapore to see about getting involved, since god knows I can't afford a yoga studio here apparently.

Hopefully by the time I can go practice with them they'll have stopped burning Indonesia and I'll be able to breathe while I row. I'm told it usually only lasts a week to a month.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Gave the iPod accelerometer-tracking three runs of varying length with various apps last week and it was off by at least .1 every mile and a good 20 seconds off actual pace. Since you can't calibrate it and it won't connect with a Nike+ foot tracker anymore, I dropped fifty bucks on a refurbished Garmin 210. First run was this morning.

Today's one of those days you remember when a new technological purchase amazes and delights.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh god, I started lifting weights last night

apparently there are muscles sort of between your collarbone and armpit! I know because they are SORE. Also I guess there are muscles between your shoulder blades? They are sore too.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

apparently there are muscles sort of between your collarbone and armpit! I know because they are SORE. Also I guess there are muscles between your shoulder blades? They are sore too.

Those are my favourite muscles to work.

I like the general soreness after a run, but I LOVE the soreness after a good weights session.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Those are my favourite muscles to work.

I like the general soreness after a run, but I LOVE the soreness after a good weights session.

I didn't know they existed

going to do one day on and one day off though

• Options
    My feet continue to ache.

I only wear my fancy shoes when walking around at home, but my feet are so sore, I'm riding my bike instead of jogging. I bought the fancy shoes for jogging.

I had an "I'm dumb!" epiphany today. I haven't replaced my shitty cheap work sneakers since spring. I noticed my shoes' heels were low and thin and smooth.

I looked up my shoes on Zappos, and saw they are for over pronator support, so I browsed that type of shoe on there.

http://m.zappos.com/saucony-lancer-2-silver-navy-orange

• Options
    edited September 2016
    My feet are sore as fuck, especially the right one

I walked Sunday
    Rode bicycle Monday and Tuesday
    Did nothing Wednesday

I walk a lot at my job, like 7 out of 8 hours are walking on tile or cement

What the hell
    I want to run

Maybe I should go to the doctor

Edit
    I am at the doctor's office

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Fucking plantar fucking fasciitis

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oo, that's no good. Hope it gets better for you. When I had it, I got significantly better after a relatively short time spent stretching my foot.
    Good luck!

• Options
    It started this past Tuesday

I've been working more hours, and spending more time at work on my feet, about three extra hours a day are spent walking now.

And the walking, jogging and biking as part of my fun fitness activities.

I used to sit down for about two hours in the middle of my work day.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    In June I started counting calories on my smartphone, with custom micro/macro nutrient requirements from a dietitian. I didn't even do it right the first week and I still rapidly lost weight. My golf pants are a tailor now.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Fucking plantar fucking fasciitis

Yep, that's the one.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The lady I'm seeing told me i must be losing weight. Not because saw much of difference, but "Your kisses taste like ketosis and you are peeing a lot.""

NeoToma on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Turns out golf is a pretty good work out. I'm pretty worn out and kinda sore!

Fun though too. Even though I didn't get but maybe 1 ok shot out of something like 28 balls. Not bad for a first time though I suppose.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    My gym membership is up this week and I may change back to the place I used to go to. My current gym has newer equipment and is open 24 hours, but it's extremely small (like, two 30' x 30' rooms, and one is a yoga studio) and is constantly filled with farm kids with no sense of gym etiquette whatsoever. The place I used to go to has older equipment that is constantly breaking down, but there's room to stretch out and both the management and the clientele are very friendly. It's closed on Sundays, though, so there goes one of my workouts every week.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    fucking knees too

poo
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Turns out golf is a pretty good work out. I'm pretty worn out and kinda sore!

Fun though too. Even though I didn't get but maybe 1 ok shot out of something like 28 balls. Not bad for a first time though I suppose.

Golf is one of those bastard games that you can suck 99 out of 100 shots, but that one in a hundred shot will be perfect, and a perfect golf shot is a magical thing, you can feel it as soon as you strike the ball. That one shot will keep you coming back again and again.

Fucking game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    third 10km in five days coming up tomorrow. One day I'll do that much in one shot ... if my knees hold out.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    My new job has left me too tired (i.e. lazy) to do any exercise. I'm three months without any weightlifting or cardio whatsoever. It also doesn't help that my flat foot has reached new levels of pain, keeping me from doing any running or jump-rope. I finally saw an orthodontist about it and am awaiting the order of custom-fitted supports, but that won't be for another 3-4 weeks.

So I was wondering if I could get a list of some recommended "quick" exercises, just stuff I could do in small chunks that wouldn't take up too much time, or something I could even spread out throughout the day. Push-ups are naturally the first thought, and I could even do this near my desk whenever I get up to go to the bathroom or something. There's also squats, sit-ups, etc, but I wanted to learn about the most effective exercises I should be focusing on. I'm also considering ordering a rubber dumbbell for my room, to keep my wood floors from getting scratched by regular weights.

Hopefully the supports and painkillers will eventually allow me to return to running/jumping cardio routines during the weekend, but I wouldn't mind some suggestions that don't involve standing.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    The most effective workout exercise is the one you keep doing. I would just find stuff that gets you moving and that you LIKE to start, and once you have a routine going for workouts you can start to tailor that to specific goals. Pushup, squats and situps are a solid start, especially if you can't run.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Working on getting my body fat percentage down, I enjoyed doing Martial Arts a few years ago. So I did some timing stuff today.

3.6 mile run, 150 pushups (in 5 sets) 150 squats (in 3 sets), 150 sit ups (in 3 sets), 20 pull-ups (1 set), total time to completion, one hour.

Going to try to decrease the run time, and increase the number of reps in each set.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    The elevators at work having been regularly breaking down and trapping people inside.

This has been infinitely more effective than the "take the stairs to save the planet and your health" posters of last year.

This discussion has been closed.