As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Wild Card

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Wild Card

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    FuzFuz Registered User regular
    The Witcher did that already.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    The dopamine boost from opening card packs is the most insidious tool.

briguy on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    ...huh, Gabe's hair is super weird when viewed from behind eh? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Cards can improve anything. Cards can improve cards. Sure, your pair of queens would beat my pair of jacks any other time, but on this given occasion I attached a reversed three of cups to my hand. Aces over eights would have won but I have a type advantage here. Does your joker have enough energy? Didn't think so.

...no one plays poker with me anymore. :(

I had read Gabe's news post about Forza and the commercial that he liked. In watching it, I was hit by a wave of nostalgia and couldn't shake the urge to play as well. It's a little funny though, considering his usual temperament in regards to racing sims (First 15: Project Cars).
    ...huh, Gabe's hair is super weird when viewed from behind eh? ;P
    I think Gabe's hair is something between a mohawk and a fauxhawk, the front of which may be combed at least slightly to one side, and we typically see it from one side or another so it has something similar to a combover effect. Even when we get some insight on his magical hair (like here and here) we don't learn all of the secrets.

Littlestars on
  • Options
    ChrisNPChrisNP Registered User new member
    that game looks good

• Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    He's got a point, I could see a sort of "Truth or Dare" element added to sex with card packs. You flip a card and have to do for your partner whatever that card says.

"Give your partner 30 seconds of oral sex"
    "Give your partner 30 seconds of anal sex"
    "Allow your partner to tie you down and do whatever they wish to you for 1 full minute"

And then you get the expansion packs, like the Cosplay pack, the Roleplay pack (both of which can be combined together", the extended S&M pack (nipple clamps and strap-on not included), and the Exhibitionist pack (all card instructions must be performed outdoors, in public).

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You have activated my trap card

Dexterity check to escape

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Can cards improve funerals?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Jakk Frost wrote: »
    He's got a point, I could see a sort of "Truth or Dare" element added to sex with card packs. You flip a card and have to do for your partner whatever that card says.

"Allow your partner to tie you down and do whatever they wish to you for 1 full minute"

I'd be quite willing to bet something along these lines already exists.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Ocker3Ocker3 Registered User regular

Trust me, there are already a Lot of games like this, some cards, some mobile, some desktop (the extra config makes of all kinds of cool stuff).

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    A friend and I were just discussing how companies seem to monetize shit that already exists (and in some cases is free.) Pathfinder took a tabletop game and campaign and made it a card game. Tic-Tac-Toe made a game where you threw hackysacks to change X's & O's on some weird plastic contraption. There's a "Never Have I Ever" board game or a "Truth or Dare" card game. Hell, they sell freaking bottles to play "Spin The Bottle" with.

So, yeah. I think I should just make "Sex - The Card Game Expansion" and become a millionaire.

• Options
    TolkienfanmanTolkienfanman Registered User regular
    Solitaire is okay I guess

• Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

Yes... if they were the right kind of cards. You got me thinking about how that could happen.

I imagine if you planned far ahead for your funeral, you could have cards made up that detailed moments from your life. Then have them printed and put into random packs, and at your funeral or wake, have everyone open up a pack of cards. Have people compare and trade cards to see all the moments that you put onto them, allowing them to share stories and remind them of things that happened. Have the entire set tell the story of your life and let the people who came to send you off put it together.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

...and then the magician points to the casket, and UP POPS THE DEPARTED WITH THE NINE OF DIAMONDS IN THEIR HAND!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LazyDolphinLazyDolphin Registered User regular
    Funeral Cards are totally a thing. There are (at least) two different types -- memorial cards and prayer cards

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I feel like the facial expressions don't really match the dialog and tone.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Sex dice have been around for decades. I'm sure there are cards as well.

• Options
    Truth or Dare sounds like a dangerous concept to mix with sex. The last thing sex needs is more honesty. "Would you find me more attractive if I were more attractive" can cause a sex-ending headache in seconds. Dare is alright though, provided you and your partner(s) are all on the same page. You don't want to find out the hard way that the "kinky" stuff you're into is actually pretty vanilla compared to some of the stuff your partner gets up to. Tip, if you gave it a nickname and it isn't a natural part of my or your body, I don't want it near me. Another tip, don't nickname parts of my or your body, but that discussion is too many degrees of separation from the topic.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Okay but I feel unless the cards can be used in some way to duel it shouldn't count in the context of my statement.

Like when a prayer card for a funeral allows me to summon from my graveyard then we'll talk.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    So what's Tycho's beef with racing sims anyway?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    So what's Tycho's beef with racing sims anyway?

I think he just can't get in to them because he's not into cars. I remember him saying on Twitter a few days ago something to the effect that he wishes he was more into cars so he could enjoy Forza 6 as much as it deserves to be enjoyed. I think if he was being serious he'd tell you it's a "problem" with him and not with the games themselves.

• Options
    Tycho doesn't have a beef with racing sims. He enjoys them, and wants to enjoy them more. Gabe doesn't like them though and has resisted playing them for ages. Gabe explained this in his news post not too long ago. So the reaction can be explained by comparing it to a scenario where Gabe is allergic to strawberries and Tycho walked in on him eating a bowl full of strawberries.

• Options
    KynElwynnKynElwynn Registered User new member
    Had to make an account just to post that there is a sex CCG. Steve Jackson and Phil Foglio developed a card game based on the XXXenophile comic, aptly named "XXXenophile".

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Things that are not improved by random card packs:

Card games.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    I feel like I couldn't legally twitch while racing: Much like regular driving, it's when I curse all of humanity and every social construct that has delivered us to this point.

Also, for real Card villains, one must engage with Madden Ultimate Team. I haven't felt that inadequate with a need to spend money since my last date...

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »

Yes... if they were the right kind of cards. You got me thinking about how that could happen.

I imagine if you planned far ahead for your funeral, you could have cards made up that detailed moments from your life. Then have them printed and put into random packs, and at your funeral or wake, have everyone open up a pack of cards. Have people compare and trade cards to see all the moments that you put onto them, allowing them to share stories and remind them of things that happened. Have the entire set tell the story of your life and let the people who came to send you off put it together.

The real fun comes when you bring in cards from other funerals, and combine them together to form hypothetical alternate lives.

• Options
    MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    I registered for an account just to point out that Jerry, apparently, watches Top Gear. And that is awesome.

At least, I hope it's Top Gear UK...

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    I registered for an account just to point out that Jerry, apparently, watches Top Gear. And that is awesome.

Top Gear is popular precisely because you don't have to like cars in any way to enjoy it.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I am so jealous of how simple and clean Mike's line work is. That and his colors. There's so much depth to even the non-artsy comics. I love how the middle panel looks like something right out of a manga or anime. It's freaking hard to emulate that style and do it well.

I bought Frenden's Manga Studio 5 brush pack because of Mike and it's been the best $15 I've ever spent. Mike-if you ever read this-thank you sooooo much.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    MaryAmelia wrote: »

Top Gear is popular precisely because you don't have to like cars in any way to enjoy it.

Or foreigners.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The podcast episode for this strip makes me happy, because much of it is an elaboration on a question I submitted to their Q&A. At the time, I thought the idea of "Turn Based Madden" was just a flippant response so they could move on to a more compelling question quickly. But once they dug into the idea on the podcast, I became a believer.

The idea that there's this rich tactical experience in Football that I'm not calibrated to recognize, but that I could really appreciate if I were moving the little dudes around on a hex map, seeing % chance of pass completion and whatnot, I'm totally on board!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The podcast episode for this strip makes me happy, because much of it is an elaboration on a question I submitted to their Q&A. At the time, I thought the idea of "Turn Based Madden" was just a flippant response so they could move on to a more compelling question quickly. But once they dug into the idea on the podcast, I became a believer.

The idea that there's this rich tactical experience in Football that I'm not calibrated to recognize, but that I could really appreciate if I were moving the little dudes around on a hex map, seeing % chance of pass completion and whatnot, I'm totally on board!

I assume you know about Frozen Cortex? Formerly known as Frozen Endzone. There was even at least one PA post about it.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    If there was a Final Fantasy Tactics style football game, I would suddenly be playing a lot of football.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I assume you know about Frozen Cortex? Formerly known as Frozen Endzone. There was even at least one PA post about it.

Looks pretty boss, downloading it now! Thanks!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan