As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Maximum Wax

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Maximum Wax

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I don't know if I want to even touch the subject of scent memories, because, damn. I'm just grateful "Dad's Belt" isn't a scent I associated with dad's belt.
    Gunpowder and sawdust, as scents, might be more entertaining as bath salts. Why do you smell like the first World War? Because I'm a man, duh.

Interestingly enough I do have a scent that I've associated with man failures and it has to do with barbecue. It's the smell of lighter fluid. I don't know why, in Texas of all places, no one knows how to do barbecue properly. Here's a tip: if your food tastes like accelerant, you're doing it wrong. If there was an explosion at a lighter fluid... cannery? Factory? Whatever. If one of those buildings exploded and an eternal fire burned from it for all time, people would just assume someone nearby was just "making" barbecue.

Littlestars on
  • Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm happy burying dad's belt down with all the other things I no longer wish to remember.

Anyways, what's wrong with wanting candles that smell good? Does "apple cider" or "juicy watermelon" not sound pleasant? Challenge your misguided masculinity. Join us in the world of finer things.

briguy on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I like the woody, earthy scents. Sandalwood, cedar, sage, etc. years ago there was a Yankee candle that just smelled like...autumn. Like dewy mornings and burning leaves.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I always liked the scent of old weathered wood.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    This is one comic where I feel like I want to hug Tycho and cheer him up.

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    I'm partial to Fresh Linen myself.

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    I like the scent of "ahhh, doesn't smell like a public men's urinal or weeks of dirty laundry or rotten food" the most. Like when you drink water, and don't taste anything because it's just water? That's how I like my local scentscape. As it happens, I don't like my water tasting like a public men's urinal either.
    This is one comic where I feel like I want to hug Tycho and cheer him up.
    He doesn't strike me as a physical contact guy, let alone a guy that hugs. He might be okay hugging someone to comfort someone else but I'm not sure he'd stand to be hugged for his own comfort. Which is a shame, because that makes me want to hug him more.

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Anyone who's been to a PAX or seen footage from PAX can attest that Jerry does not shy away from the hugs.

This is prime candle season for me: Apples and Cinnamon stockpile for the rest of the year.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I realized recently that I have a bizarre affinity for the smell of hydrogen peroxide.

I should probably not dig too deeply on that.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The only one I really like (as opposed to tolerating) is Winter Balsam by Bath and Body Works. It just smells like pine trees.

• Options
    randomusernamerandomusername Registered User new member
    Just don't forget which belt is the right belt: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/06/23

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Growing up in a single parent household I don't have any "dad's belt" associations.

I consider myself fortunate however that there's no "Grandma's wooden spoon" variation.

• Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    I'd buy one that smelled like cigar smoke, or old leather.

• Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    This genuinely made me laugh out loud. Ahh... childhood trauma.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Jakk Frost wrote: »

I was at Meijers last night and bought two candles, a leather and a mahogany scented candle based partially on Jerry having mentioned them in a news post. They did have one labeled "humidor" if you want something close to cigar smoke. It didn't quite have that hint of vanilla though.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Jakk Frost wrote: »

My parents weren't into physical punishment, but they had very little compunction about gaslighting me when I did something wrong.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Sawdust actually sounds good. I would also like Freshly Mowed Lawn.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I have always hated the "Real men do this " or "Real women do that" way of thinking, and I find it hard to respect people who buy into it.

'Real' people do what they want. What else needs to be said?

• Options
    AlypiusAlypius Registered User new member
    I looked at the Old Factory site and immediately abandoned it when I saw the "Man Cave" scent. Can we please go back to having a proper study with old books, scotch, and a chess set?

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Petrichor and burned leaves. I'd love some of that right now.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Whoever made those candles missed a golden opportunity to coin the term "mandles"

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Whoever made those candles missed a golden opportunity to coin the term "mandles"

Check the newspost.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Growing up in a single parent household I don't have any "dad's belt" associations.

I consider myself fortunate however that there's no "Grandma's wooden spoon" variation.

Dad's soap also not a big seller.

• Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    http://www.amazon.com/Feel-Alright-Marijuana-Scented-Candle/dp/B00PX8J1HM

Hiding in plain sight..."What!?!? Huh? I hadn't noticed that candle smelled like weed. I'm gonna go buy five bags of candy now..."

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The best candle scent is when you've just snuffed out a candle and there's that little puff of smoke. Do they make a candle that smells of that?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Log cabin. I will buy all of the log cabin candles.

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    It's amazing how much stuff they finally sell for men! Soap, candles, what's next, clothing? Maybe I can finally stop running around buck naked or wearing only a simple loincloth I fastened from the skin of the last beast I slayed.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    streever wrote: »
    It's amazing how much stuff they finally sell for men! Soap, candles, what's next, clothing? Maybe I can finally stop running around buck naked or wearing only a simple loincloth I fastened from the skin of the last beast I slayed.

Wait a minute, they make pants for men now?
    Finally. All of those public indecency charges were getting tiresome.

• Options
    teknoarcanistteknoarcanist Registered User regular
    "There are also some designed specifically to evoke, and perhaps even summon or bind some kind of Eternal Grandfather."

That is a beautiful sentence.

• Options
    His ShadowHis Shadow Registered User regular
    What does this have to do with "Destiny"?