As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Requesting help and advice for finding a therapist in the UK

CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
Basically what it says in the title! I've decided to see a therapist to help me work through some long term depression issues. I don't really have any clue where to start though, I've never tired finding a therapist and my basic googlings have revealed they're quite expensive. I'm willing to pay the fees for someone that actually helps me though.

I'd like to hear the experiences and wisdom of anyone who has been through therapy in the UK and hopefully help me to avoid any pitfalls.

Another thing I'm curious about is the idea of therapy over skype, so if anyone with any experience of that at all could talk about their experience that would be great!

Thanks.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Hey Casual!

First, are you in any form of education? I assume not but if you are you can get therapy quick and easy via university for example. If not, I'd say the best thing is book an appointment with your (NHS) GP, once they diagnose you it will open the door to resources, local therapists, options etc in your area. I would imagine that things vary quite a bit place to place for who/what is available, but I'd make it clear to your GP that you want to go down the therapy route not medication. Confirmed via: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/free-therapy-or-counselling.aspx
    If you want to try a talking therapy, ask your GP, who will be aware of what's available locally.
    Your GP can refer you for talking treatment that is free on the NHS. This will usually be a short course of counselling or CBT from the GP surgery's counselling service.
    If counselling or CBT aren't available at the surgery, your GP can refer you to a local counsellor or therapist for NHS treatment.
    You may also be able to refer yourself for counselling. The IAPT programme means that more and more primary care trusts (PCTs) are introducing the option of self-referral.
    Self-referral means that people who prefer not to talk to their GP can go directly to a professional therapist (but where possible, and unless there's a specific reason not to, it's better to discuss it with your GP first). The service is already available in some parts of England. To find out what's available in your area, search for psychological therapy services.

There's also things like Mind http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/depression/about-depression/?o=9109#.VgFXeN9oKUk which have resources and information.

Hope this helps a bit!

• Options
    Thanks!

I have actually discussed this with my GP before and to cut a long story short they were unhelpful. There are group therapy style things available once a month were I live but I don't want that. Plus it looks like GP's have been told to not refer you for NHS therapy unless you're in immanent danger of self harm, which I am not. I'd love an NHS option but they've made it clear I'm not a priority.

So at this point I'm basically looking at a private option.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Ahh I see. The NHS page has list of sites to find a therapist, but hopefully someone here will suggest a way/method of finding one that worked for them!

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Group therapy can be good depending on what the issues are - seeing other people having the same stuggles can be helpful.

You're GP being unhelpful is another example of the shitiness of NHS [Casual's Region]'s resourcing problems. They should still have some knowledge of reputable private options :<

I went to a counselor on a GPs advice down in the South East and it ran to £25 a session (which was tough as I was unemployed at the time). I just had a couple of sessions because just articulating the problems to a neutral party really helped me and they were able to give some helpful advice without spending hours working through things.

I think you'll be able to work out if its helpful pretty quick so the cost of trying it might not be high.

Are you looking at people who market themselves as counselors as well as therapists? I think £10-£60 is like the expected cost range and with the stupid cost of living round here it'll be more for the high end.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    Group therapy can be good depending on what the issues are - seeing other people having the same stuggles can be helpful.

You're GP being unhelpful is another example of the shitiness of NHS [Casual's Region]'s resourcing problems. They should still have some knowledge of reputable private options :<

I went to a counselor on a GPs advice down in the South East and it ran to £25 a session (which was tough as I was unemployed at the time). I just had a couple of sessions because just articulating the problems to a neutral party really helped me and they were able to give some helpful advice without spending hours working through things.

I think you'll be able to work out if its helpful pretty quick so the cost of trying it might not be high.

Are you looking at people who market themselves as counselors as well as therapists? I think £10-£60 is like the expected cost range and with the stupid cost of living round here it'll be more for the high end.

The ones I saw were running £40-£90, with most around £60 for 1-ish hour. It's pretty pants on head.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    It's one of the reasons I'm considering skype therapy.

Casual on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

The ones I saw were running £40-£90, with most around £60 for 1-ish hour. It's pretty pants on head.

Sheesh is it more crazy people up here or more price gauging?

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

Sheesh is it more crazy people up here or more price gauging?

Possibly both...

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Casual wrote:
    i'd like the advice and experiences of anyone who has been through this just so i can avoid the trial and error, because the problem with depression is you simply don't have to motivation for long, tedious, repetitive tasks which you have to start again if you don't get what you want

i know it's maddeningly unhelpful i cant be more specific but i'm just not far enough into the process yet to have specific queries

in an ideal world i just want someone who can help me work through this shit and also possibly help out with finding anti-depressants that suit me

(above from d&d [chat] )

This is certainly not UK-tailored advice, but:

I went to see a licensed psychiatrist, who both did therapy sessions and gave me a prescription for meds. So, that is what I generally recommend people do: find a licensed psychiatrist and give them a call (if you haven't got a referral. In my case, I had a referral from a doctor).

I strongly advise against seeking out 'therapists' - no doubt there are many fine folks who go under that label, but it's also huckster city because anyone can call themselves a therapist. You'll want to see a proper doctor.

Have you had a formal diagnosis for a specific mental illness yet?

You do have to brace yourself to be patient. I'm lucky in that my first psychiatrist was super helpful for me, but many people have to see several psychiatrists before they find one that works for them.

Also, with regards to the NHS, your GP might just be unfamiliar with that side of things.

Have you plugged your postal code into this portal already?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    This might help you, Casual.

http://edinburghcounsellingagencies.co.uk/

These look promising:
    Arkordia, Contact Counseling, Crossreach, Feniks, Gay man's health, LGBT Health, PF Counselling, Stafford Centre, Wellspring, and the Wester Hailes Health Agency

As well, the Mental Health Assesment Service offers to help individuals find a service that matches their needs. Also, a therapist isn't really someone to help you out with the medication, that's going to have to be a doctor. A therapist is someone who helps you work through the emotions and whatever is holding you back.

I hope that helps, Casual. we care about you. :heartbeat:

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    Casual wrote:
    i'd like the advice and experiences of anyone who has been through this just so i can avoid the trial and error, because the problem with depression is you simply don't have to motivation for long, tedious, repetitive tasks which you have to start again if you don't get what you want

i know it's maddeningly unhelpful i cant be more specific but i'm just not far enough into the process yet to have specific queries

in an ideal world i just want someone who can help me work through this shit and also possibly help out with finding anti-depressants that suit me

(above from d&d [chat] )

This is certainly not UK-tailored advice, but:

I went to see a licensed psychiatrist, who both did therapy sessions and gave me a prescription for meds. So, that is what I generally recommend people do: find a licensed psychiatrist and give them a call (if you haven't got a referral. In my case, I had a referral from a doctor).

I strongly advise against seeking out 'therapists' - no doubt there are many fine folks who go under that label, but it's also huckster city because anyone can call themselves a therapist. You'll want to see a proper doctor.

Have you had a formal diagnosis for a specific mental illness yet?

You do have to brace yourself to be patient. I'm lucky in that my first psychiatrist was super helpful for me, but many people have to see several psychiatrists before they find one that works for them.

Also, with regards to the NHS, your GP might just be unfamiliar with that side of things.

Have you plugged your postal code into this portal already?

I've taken a poke around the NHS site yeah, it's not that helpful for Scotland (sigh). I've never been to a psychiatrist but my GP has been giving me anti depressants for ages so I guess that counts as a formal diagnosis.

• Options
    This might help you, Casual.

http://edinburghcounsellingagencies.co.uk/

These look promising:
    Arkordia, Contact Counseling, Crossreach, Feniks, Gay man's health, LGBT Health, PF Counselling, Stafford Centre, Wellspring, and the Wester Hailes Health Agency

As well, the Mental Health Assesment Service offers to help individuals find a service that matches their needs. Also, a therapist isn't really someone to help you out with the medication, that's going to have to be a doctor. A therapist is someone who helps you work through the emotions and whatever is holding you back.

I hope that helps, Casual. we care about you. :heartbeat:

Ahhh thanks! I was shown this before but lost the link. This will be useful.