As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News Gone Right v2 - take this bread and eat it, for OMG WE JUST BROKE THE LHC

19899100101102104»

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Pokemon Go is something that has changed the world, I think.

Not sure how just yet, but it has done something damn impressive.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Child Annoyance is a thing?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Child Annoyance is a thing?

I guess they thought "Being a creeper around children" was too on the nose.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Augmented reality has long been a technology that held a lot of promise of changing how we interact with the world but had a limited user base. Pokemon GO just blew the lid off that last bit.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Augmented reality has long been a technology that held a lot of promise of changing how we interact with the world but had a limited user base. Pokemon GO just blew the lid off that last bit.
    I think the main thing holding augmented reality back is the lack of affordable easy to use interface (smartphones are not, google glasses might become), and the high cost of getting it truly usefull for wide scale adoption (either we need fucking amazing picture recognition software and insanely huge database, or tag everything with an ID chip).

Pokemon GO just chucked both of those issues and just made augmented reality fun (instead of useful).

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I do not get it. I'm sorry I'm being old, but I just don't.

So, it's an augmented reality game for smart phones.

It pretty much just takes Google Maps and overlays it with colors.

You create an avatar, which is then shown on your smartphone, using your GPS to track your location. Where you go, your avatar goes.

Various buildings and land marks have been re-labeled 'PokeSpots', which you interact with by tapping on them with your finger, and then spinning the icon that comes up by swiping. This is how you get items (PokeBalls, potions, eggs, etc.). Or you can use PokeCoins, purchased with real currency, to get these items.

As you walk around, you might encounter a PokeMon; you interact with them by tapping, and capture them by 'throwing' a PokeBall at them (swiping up). PokeMon can appear anywhere! Inside, outside, and the PokeMon type you find depends on where you are, environmentally.

Are you out and about at a park? Good for you! Grass types abound.

Near a lake? Water types!

Etc.

And since the PokeMon can appear anywhere, it's getting a lot of people out of the house to 'hunt' them. So you'll run into people who are also hunting, share tips, etc, because while the PokeMon locations are slightly randomized, they're randomized by area. So the Pidgeot by the Wendy's will always appear next to the dumpster.

It's pretty good at encouraging socializing. Last night, I put a lure out - a lure being an item that draws PokeMon to you, as I was out to dinner - and ended up getting free drinks, as Lure's can be used by anyone for half an hour.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Pokémon GO user successfully catches Grass type:
    An Auburn, N.Y., man told police that he swerved into a tree Tuesday night while trying to play Pokémon Go, reports Syracuse.com. The 28-year-old player suffered no serious injuries, however, the entire front end of his car was mangled in the crash. “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” doesn’t include plant life, bro.

The Auburn Police Department issued several recommendations for Pokémon Go players following the wreck, such as to be aware of your surroundings, and never to play the game while driving or riding a bike. Too bad they don’t have a captain at the department whose last name is “Obvious” who could have delivered that advice.

It’s been a rough news week for Pokémon Go players who also happen to be morons and own cars. Earlier today, we reported one instance of a player who hit a curb while trying to catch the elusive pocket monsters.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Bad News... in a good way.

I have made a new thread as this one is getting a bit long in the tooth.

This discussion has been closed.