As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PSN] 7 June - Mirror's Edge Catalyst | SteamWorld Heist | Odin Sphere | Sherlock TDD

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    We're at 40mil PS4s sold to consumers now, and still (I believe) higher in sales compared to the PS2 at this point of the lifespan.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I still have my old copy of Odin sphere on Ps2.

I.. i can't not buy the new one even if it is just a remastering the game is GOOD.

But it's not just a remaster. I mean, that have a mode/option that's just a straight remaster of the old game.

But the big thing about this version of Odin Sphere is that they totally redid the combat to be in line with Dragon's Crown with a touch of Muramasa and they added more story.

So.. they're taking a great game and making it better?

I picked up a game called Witch and the Hundred knights revival edition this morning at a flea market hopefully it's a fun one.

Is it the original one from a few years back, or the remastered version for PS4? i kinda remember playing the old one and finding it fun enough. i spent most of the game confused as to what was going on, but that was more my language issues than the game's fault i think. My PS3 went tits up before i could beat it, though.

Revival Edition is the PS4 version.

The PS3 version is also poorly coded trash with hobbling crash bugs that NIS didn't want to bother fixing because they couldn't reproduce it on dev units. I wouldn't recommend anyone play that version.

I can totally see why people would hate this game and i'm only one chapter in.

I don't even want to mention it here

Don't worry it gets waaaaay darker. Like "what the fuck" dark.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    In case anyone else cares about old SNK fighting games, Last Blade 2 has very good netcode.

It is bare bones everywhere else and I cannot figure out how to continue in story mode buy at least I can fight online.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Okay, after hearing some great reviews of the newest expansion, I'm thinking that $49 price for The Witcher 3 + Season Pass is looking like a game that I will be buying.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Downloaded and played the Odin Sphere demo.

OMG, Gwendolyn plays like Muramasa!

The game is beautiful on PS4. I can't wait to play it on my Vita.

kyrcl.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Never played Odin Sphere before. Cant wait for the full game! It plays how I wish Dragon's Crown played. I love DC, but i like the single 2D plane sidescrolling better than DC's old school brawler style.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Never played Odin Sphere before. Cant wait for the full game! It plays how I wish Dragon's Crown played. I love DC, but i like the single 2D plane sidescrolling better than DC's old school brawler style.

These were my son's exact words! We both love the demo, I'm almost glad NMS is getting delayed because money is tight and couldn't really justify two full price purchases so close together

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Quick thread, I need a good ps4 co-op game to play with my 4yr old.

We play a lot of skylanders 2 player, but he's looking for something new.

Not sure about the Lego games since he can't read yet and those games, at least historically, can get a little pixel hunty.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Quick thread, I need a good ps4 co-op game to play with my 4yr old.

We play a lot of skylanders 2 player, but he's looking for something new.

Not sure about the Lego games since he can't read yet and those games, at least historically, can get a little pixel hunty.
    My 4-year-old nephew really loved Lego Marvel Superheroes. There are a few times where I actually get frustrated about where to stand or where to hold circle or whatever, but he has a blast with it. It's just so low-risk with death and stuff. He just mashes buttons, but he's gotten decent about moving where he needs to and sometimes I even let him use the laser to cut open the door or whatever. Sometimes I have to argue with him to let me use Ironman or whatever to hack a door or something, but it's generally pretty good about having 3 characters in most scenes to allow quick "swap to this guy, you swap to that guy, so I can have Hulk to bust open this door, okay you can have Hulk back." Reading is not at all an issue. I really wish some of the back catalog of Lego games was brought forward to the PS4.

Other than that, he really liked Transformers Devastation on Easy, but that's single player only. He also likes watching me play Octodad and loves to make the rider bail in Trials Fusion.

Also, if you can find some Disney Infinity stuff on the cheap, I'd recommend that, too.

RandomHajile on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Octodad has co-op as well, so there's that

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited May 2016
    PSN actin weird for anyone else or is my PS4 on the fritz? Tiles on the dashboard keep flickering or changing into icons of controllers. Stuff's loading slow, and I cant get anything to play on Netflix...

Edit: Nevermind. Internet issue I guess. Resetting my modem and router seems to have fixed it.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, sure, but that's like one person in a car controlling the steering wheel and the other person controlling the gas/brakes/turn signal.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, sure, but that's like one person in a car controlling the steering wheel and the other person controlling the gas/brakes/turn signal.
    And? They'd be playing with a child so that doesn't matter. it just a little kid gettin' in on the wacky octopus man.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited May 2016
    And? They'd be playing with a child so that doesn't matter. it just a little kid gettin' in on the wacky octopus man.
    My experience is that my nephew has absolutely no patience for the controls being intentionally bad. It takes a while to get used to the controls as someone who has been playing games for 30 years, let alone when you have no idea what I mean when I say "use the left stick."

He loves just watching me intentionally bumble around going "oh, whoop, nope, yep, grab that, oh no, I spilled the milk and knocked over all the plates, whoops, okay NOW here we go."

RandomHajile on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I played TMNT all the way through.

It's garbage. Absolute garbage from top to bottom. Avoid at all costs. It's a $9.99 purchase if that.

I'm one of Platinums biggest cheerleaders here and I don't think twice about pulling the trigger on anything that they're involved with, but that ends now.

Transformers Devastation may have been low budget but that game had heart, style, and some of the best combat they've ever done.

Turtles has none of that. It broke my heart.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Turtles is indeed trash garbage

The $3 I spent on a Redbox for it was too much

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    That really makes me sad. I'm a huge TMNT fan, and was really looking forward to a current gen beat em up and thought Platinum was up to the task. Was it anything in particular that made it bad, the combat, framerate, story, or was it just altogether bad? I wanna know if it's something i can tolerate to rent for a playthrough, or that might be fixed in a patch. Probably not though.... So sad.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
    Its problems can't be fixed with a patch

Here's a pretty good rundown on it

https://youtu.be/JzM0pHy7B2s

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Odin sphere has me chomping at the Bits i can't wait for it.

I put so many hours into my ps2 copy. I loved Dragon's crown to even if my family could not wrap their heads around why i liked the game "You only play that game because of the boobs" gets old a lot

Esp when you're playing the Elf

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It's just the entire gameplay premise itself.

It is deeply flawed.

You the player level up which lets you purchase and upgrade the abilities the turtles are able to use, upgrading them reduces their cool down time.

But leveling up does nothing to increase their offense, defense, or health.

You increase you health by completing objectives in each level but these increases are temporary and reset with every level.

You only die when all 4 turtles are knocked out. If one is knocked out you have 10 seconds to revive them or they're sent back to the base to recover and return a few moments later with full health.

Helping one recover instantly though only restores one pizza of health (your health bar is pizzas with 4 slices each).

This is annoying because bosses can and do easily knock off one whole pizza or more locking you in a situation where you're constantly having turtles knocked out with one hit and getting revived into boss attacks to be knocked out again.

You can't stop your AI turtles from doing this, or control when they use their cool downs.

I found myself switching to turtles with low health intentionally killing myself and instantly forcing them off the battlefield to recover to full before one of the idiot AI revived them.

Not that it mattered much on Hard where you only have about 2 pizzas worth of health for bosses and you're getting one shot no matter what.

The core concept of the gameplay just doesn't work.

Not to mention there's nothing to unlock. No extra characters, game modes, or costumes outside of just getting access to a Very Hard mode which no thanks.

Somehow missed that Bindinf of Isaac: Afterbirth was out on PSN. Picked it up, and immediately made it to mom's heart and killed it in one run. Did it in one try after being eternally stuck there...

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    It's just the entire gameplay premise itself.

It is deeply flawed.

You the player level up which lets you purchase and upgrade the abilities the turtles are able to use, upgrading them reduces their cool down time.

But leveling up does nothing to increase their offense, defense, or health.

You increase you health by completing objectives in each level but these increases are temporary and reset with every level.

You only die when all 4 turtles are knocked out. If one is knocked out you have 10 seconds to revive them or they're sent back to the base to recover and return a few moments later with full health.

Helping one recover instantly though only restores one pizza of health (your health bar is pizzas with 4 slices each).

This is annoying because bosses can and do easily knock off one whole pizza or more locking you in a situation where you're constantly having turtles knocked out with one hit and getting revived into boss attacks to be knocked out again.

You can't stop your AI turtles from doing this, or control when they use their cool downs.

I found myself switching to turtles with low health intentionally killing myself and instantly forcing them off the battlefield to recover to full before one of the idiot AI revived them.

Not that it mattered much on Hard where you only have about 2 pizzas worth of health for bosses and you're getting one shot no matter what.

The core concept of the gameplay just doesn't work.

Not to mention there's nothing to unlock. No extra characters, game modes, or costumes outside of just getting access to a Very Hard mode which no thanks.

This sounds terrible. I know platinum games are kind of quirky and have a steep curve to them sometimes, but that doesn't sound like something that gets better with play/time. Bummer

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Somehow missed that Bindinf of Isaac: Afterbirth was out on PSN. Picked it up, and immediately made it to mom's heart and killed it in one run. Did it in one try after being eternally stuck there...

Good going, Skulls! Now if it'd get out over here, i'd be v. happy indeed.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I guess I'll never get a good Ninja Turtles game. So sad.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm bummed out about Overwatch because I really love Blizzard games and Overwatch looks like it has style to spare.

But the part where it's a team-based multiplayer shooter where you need to play your class... I just don't have the time in my life for that anymore. I really tried hard with Heroes of the Storm, which I enjoyed, but at the end of the day, I need something that's primarily a single player experience (or at least something that can be equally enjoyed solo, like Diablo). Hopefully Blizzard's next thing will accommodate me a little more.

Ceno on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm bummed out about Overwatch because I really love Blizzard games and Overwatch looks like it has style to spare.

But the part where it's a team-based multiplayer shooter where you need to play your class... I just don't have the time in my life for that anymore. I really tried hard with Heroes of the Storm, which I enjoyed, but at the end of the day, I need something that's primarily a single player experience (or at least something that can be equally enjoyed solo, like Diablo). Hopefully Blizzard's next thing will accommodate me a little more.

Depends on how serious you take it. Certainly none of the pubs I play with bother with teamwork or strategy. Pick a hero and shoot some mans.

The world could always use more heroes!

Yeah, pubs are actively ruining Overwatch for me. I feel like it's statistically impossible for so many people to this dumb and not understand how to play the game, but here we are...

Might just be new players getting used to it

I think I'm playing it right, but I die pretty goddamn regularly and I'm sure more advanced players would watch me and start pulling their hair out

This genre is kinda new to the console crowd. TF2 on 360/PS3 was a total nonstarter, and Call of Duty and its ilk has been actively training players to think "just kill people, you'll be fine" for over ten years now

I know Im not some elite skill player, my skill level is average at best. Sticking with the team, and pushing the objective together is pretty easy to figure out. Level 20+ players should have that down by now at least. Instead you get four Hanzos on your team ignoring the payload on Kings Row because they want to be the one to push triangle and get POTG.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

Hmm, good. I was about to say that I'd be staying far away from this with the comment of making it like Dragon's Crown, I've never particularly liked having to play the game of perfectly lining up my attack with the 2d plane of the enemy. Of course I should have remembered the visual style of Odin Sphere not allowing for that.

Also re: Overwatch, it's all of the above that you guys point out, plus my frustration that Matchmaking either doesn't exist at all(I'd hope it's not solely a Competitive mode feature), or seems to be kind of cruddy. I really don't like having a hefty blowout loss, and then have not only my same teammates, but the same opposing team for the next match.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

Hmm, good. I was about to say that I'd be staying far away from this with the comment of making it like Dragon's Crown, I've never particularly liked having to play the game of perfectly lining up my attack with the 2d plane of the enemy. Of course I should have remembered the visual style of Odin Sphere not allowing for that.

Yeah, it just plays almost exactly like Muramasa now. Juggles for days.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

Yeah, it just plays almost exactly like Muramasa now. Juggles for days.

Hah my son was playing it and juggling one of those starter bears for... a while. "Dad, is this ok? Should I stop hitting it?" 'No, son. That bear needs to serve as an example to other bears not to mess with you. Swing away."

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Here's The Drop for this week!
    New Releases: May 31, 2016

Dangerous Golf
    PS4 — Digital (Out 6/3)

Welcome to the world of Dangerous Golf. An arcade style sports game with a very explosive twist. Rack up scores by causing as much damage and destruction as possible.

Dead Island: Riptide Definitive Edition
    PS4 — Digital, Retail

Welcome to the Zombie Apocalypse experience of a lifetime -– and now more beautiful than ever. Caught in the midst of an epic zombie outbreak on the tropical island of Banoi, your only thought is: Survival!

Dead Island Definitive Collection
    PS4 — Digital, Retail

Smash heads, crack skulls, and slice ‘em up with visceral melee combat and true story-based four-player co-op in a sprawling open world just waiting for exploration.

Delta Strike: First Assault
    PS Vita — Digital

Jump into intense action with your favorite aircrafts like classic airplanes, jets, helicopters and even a drone. Blast your way through buildings, missiles, bullets, tanks, helicopters, jets and much more!

Hard Reset Redux
    PS4 — Digital (Out 6/3)

Hard Reset Redux is an action-packed and hardcore single-player shooter which embraces the best qualities that the genre has it offer. It includes over-the-top destruction, loads of enemies, great weapon variety, a challenging campaign and a beautifully realized cyberpunk setting.

Kick & Fennick
    PS4 — Digital (Out 6/2)

Kick & Fennick is a smooth and easygoing platform adventure about Kick, a little boy with a very big gun, and a small flying robot named Fennick.

MotoGP 15
    PS3 — Digital

The thrilling MotoGP series is gearing up again! Delve into the new game modes, build and personalize your team in the exciting Career mode and win countless competitions to become the best!

One Piece: Burning Blood
    PS4, PS Vita — Digital (PS4 Version at Retail)

Take to the sea in this dynamic fighter staring the world’s favorite pirate crew. Use Devil Fruit, Haki techniques, and punishing combos to turn the tide in the ultimate 3 vs. 3 One Piece battle royale!

Oxenfree
    PS4 — Digital

Oxenfree is a supernatural thriller about a group of friends who unwittingly open a ghostly rift. Play as Alex, a bright teenager who brings her new stepbrother Jonas to an overnight party on an old military island.

Plague Inc.: Evolved
    PS4 — Digital

Your pathogen has just infected ‘Patient Zero’ — now you must bring about the end of human history by evolving a deadly, global plague while adapting against everything humanity can do to defend itself.

Primal (PS2)
    PS4 — Digital

Help search for a loved one in a frightening world of demons and darkness.

Score Rush Extended
    PS4 — Digital

World’s first widescreen dual-stick bullet-hell. Made for YOU, for all gamers. Empower the player philosophy. Pure finely-tuned gameplay. No gimmicks.

Shadow Blade: Reload
    PS4 — Digital

Shadow Blade is an action platformer set in a visually striking world where the ancient teachings of ninjas and samurai clash upon a modern landscape.

There Came an Echo
    PS4 — Digital

There Came an Echo is a real-time strategy game in which the player assumes command of a small squadron, using an advanced voice recognition system to issue orders.

Neon Chrome
    PS4 — Digital

Experience a ruthless top-down cyberpunk shooter and blast your way through enemies and walls. The path to stopping the Overseer is ever changing.

Paranautical Activity (Cross-Buy)
    PS4, PS Vita — Digital

Paranautical Activity combines the classic FPS action of games like Doom and Quake, with the randomness and difficulty of modern roguelikes like Binding of Isaac and Spelunky.

Art of Balance
    PS4 — Digital

Grab your DualShock 4 and build a balanced stack in this physics-based puzzler! Art of Balance is easy to pick up and hard to put away.

There is...a lot coming out this week. So much that I can't really do the pick and choose thing, so give it a skim and see what you like.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Hard Reset was really good, just be sure to buy the railgun early on because it makes the game a TON easier.

I did not do this, and now it is my sworn duty to come into every thread where Hard Reset is mentioned and tell people not to be as dumb as I was.

Yeah, pubs are actively ruining Overwatch for me. I feel like it's statistically impossible for so many people to this dumb and not understand how to play the game, but here we are...

1. Head over to the Overwatch Thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/204976/overwatch-3-0-justice-rains-from-above
    2. Add your name to the PS4 side of the Console Players Google Doc
    3. Add everyone on there to your friend's list. Especially me, DigitalArcanist, because I am the best friend.
    4. PLAY WITH US! You'll still probably end up soloqueuein' at times, but it's not too hard to get a group going of likeminded Arcadians. We're fun! Promise!

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    All right

I'm probably going to get this for my birthday, so I added myself to the PS4 list

Please be kind to me

I don't have a headset (aside from some Apple headphones - do those cause some kind of feedback or something?)

Ceno on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I fall right in the sweet spot

Too good to enjoy playing multi with pubs

Not good enough to play with PA

Josh.

Everyone is good enough to play with PA.

I demand we play a round tonight!

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Josh.

Everyone is good enough to play with PA.

I demand we play a round tonight!
    Yeah, that's one of the defining features of PA groups. I'm a really horrible FPS player (because I have horrible aim, plus I can't see very well) but never has any PS group told me that I'm holding them back (even if I am). They even cheer for me when my abysmal K/D ratio pops above 0.39 on the odd occasion that we are playing against people worse then me!

26904.png
    Yeah, there are plenty Arcadians who play to win, but when we group together, having fun is always priority one. It's part of why I love this community so damn much.