As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android: Netrunner - Neuromancer the card game!

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Okay folks, after a bit of fighting with Challonge's system to get it working for Netrunner prestige (or at least some sembalance of it...) I have the scores in, the two players who had to drop out forfeited, and Canarvon/Albino Bunny's second game set as a draw! Hooray!

Anyway, second bracket is up at http://challonge.com/PAFANR

Gonna give ya'll til the 20th of May at 8PM GMT. I'll make the rounds a bit longer than a week to give people some wriggle room, but Cerberus is right- a time limit is needed.

@MNC Dover
    @Speed Racer
    @Maddoc
    @admanb
    @Shorty
    @Nisi
    @Chincymcchilla
    @Neaden
    @Blue map
    @Albino Bunny
    @Ethea
    @Lykouragh
    @Dis'
    @Cerberus
    @WeedLordvegeta
    @carnarvon

Hey folks, there's about another day and a half left for this round, if you haven't quite yet managed to do your games.

One other thing I want to mention is that we've now sorted out some prize support! Our very own Cerberus is being kind enough to supply some promos (play mat, alt-art ID and alt-art ice) that will be going out to the winner of the whole thing, plus two more randomly chosen newer players who are in the league as well!

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Re: The Liberated Mind

Why do they keep printing positional ice? We have Inazuma, which is a great piece of ice that's hard to break with unique, murderous subs, and no one runs it. Might as well print blank-goddamned-cards.

Because ice that affects other ice is a temptingly large amount of design space and how to best compose ones servers is an important skill.

What annoys me is that they nailed the solution with Builder's ability to move around and we haven't seen that since.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    it's very strange to me that they haven't proliferated builder's ability

but even as printed I'd definitely put one red tape in a weyland glacier deck

which, unfortunately, isn't really viable right now

Shorty on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Listening to the Damon Stone interview on Run Last Click. I am not entirely convinced by his insistence that Weyland is ultra competitive and it's everyone else who is wrong.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Listening to the Damon Stone interview on Run Last Click. I am not entirely convinced by his insistence that Weyland is ultra competitive and it's everyone else who is wrong.

He's rather dismissive of the 'internet hivemind' considering the amount of processing time said hivemind takes - it was months and thousands of games before people agreed prepaid kate was the 'best' runner deck, and similar months for dumblefork, it was not an instant switch by some central directorate.

People often have poor senses of scale when it comes to wider platforms and the sheer amount of games that can get put in. Sure Damon has played a lot of games but the number that included the card pool as released is only a fraction of that, and the variety of people he's played against is likewise finite. The jinteki.net competitive room gets 10+ games an hour, and meetups in the big cities will have dozens of people playing dozens of games.

• Options
    Just waiting to hear from @Cerberus / @Neaden, @MNC Dover/ @Carnarvon and @Maddoc / @Lykouragh

If you guys need another day or two to get your games done that's cool but it'd be nice to know so we can get the ball rolling on the next round soon :)

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Should have played over the weekend if all goes well. Time differences are a pain :)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Just waiting to hear from @Cerberus / @Neaden, @MNC Dover/ @Carnarvon and @Maddoc / @Lykouragh

If you guys need another day or two to get your games done that's cool but it'd be nice to know so we can get the ball rolling on the next round soon :)
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Finally played the scary IG deck today after somehow avoiding it entirely up till now.

Yeah, that's awful, and kind of makes me not want to play the game if that's going to be the most prevalent competitive deck. However omnipresent Faust might be its still more interesting than the fun vampire that is the IG deck.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that my time is worth more than what Museum IG offers as an experience.

Edit: @Anzekay I went 2-0 against MNC.

Ah, Carnarvon quoted you in an edit. That doesn't work silly! As punishment, we shall reverse the scores and I'll take your two wins. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ah I totally missed that, thanks guys!

• Options

I think he's the sort of person who is opposed to conventional wisdom as a rule and is in an authoritative position where nobody will tell him "no dude, you're definitely being a dingus right now"

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think they're in a better space than most people think right now. It just requires you to actually play well all the time and isn't a gimmie like NEH or IG is.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I think you can play a pretty good taxing Gagarin deck, but the problem is that it's hard to make a case for it when foodcoats is right there--it's doing essentially the same thing, except you get better economy assets, easy access to biotic labor and some of the best taxing ice available, and you get a free credit every turn from ETF

weyland has mediocre ice and assets, and right now their scorch game is basically nonexistent

all they had going for them for a long time was the high risk high rewards sort of decks like supermodernism, but now runners can mitigate their own risk so much that weyland has become high risk low reward

it's not that you can't win games with them, or that they're bad--it's that the only things you can do with them are done better in other factions

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I think you can play a pretty good taxing Gagarin deck, but the problem is that it's hard to make a case for it when foodcoats is right there--it's doing essentially the same thing, except you get better economy assets, easy access to biotic labor and some of the best taxing ice available, and you get a free credit every turn from ETF

weyland has mediocre ice and assets, and right now their scorch game is basically nonexistent

all they had going for them for a long time was the high risk high rewards sort of decks like supermodernism, but now runners can mitigate their own risk so much that weyland has become high risk low reward

it's not that you can't win games with them, or that they're bad--it's that the only things you can do with them are done better in other factions

To be fair, for quite some time Anarchs were high-risk, no-reward, so it just goes to show that a faction can change! All Weyland needs are some fundamentally powerful/game-changing cards that warp the meta, and we're good!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    RE Damon and Weyland:
    I mean, he's also suggested he'd somehow be amazing and terrible in tournaments because he plays the game so much, but never can remember what the released card pool is like because he's so used to playing with all the things in development. I'd rather think that second part is pretty key in why I have trouble taking his word on Weyland's standing ...

• Options
    The issue for corps right now is that they need an answer to heavy ice destruction, asset trashing capabilities and rich powerful late game rubber builds. Stuff like NEH gets around that but not caring much about ice, spamming assets (and not needing loads of cash) and being fast. IG just used their ability and cycling ice back in, and can ruin slow runners with bio-ethics. Food coats can sort of deal with losing ice by having strong taxing ice and keeping the rubber poor if they try to run everywhere.

Weyland just doesn't really have an easy answer to all those things. They can have strong ice but it's too expensive to Rez it all if you can't keep assets in play to make money, and scorch isn't threatening much to anarch anymore

• Options
    @Anzekay got my games in with @Neaden and managed to win both of them. He was playing some cool decks :) and I really enjoyed the games!

• Options
    Sweet!

Okay, just waiting for hear from @Maddoc and @Lykouragh now and we can wrap this round up!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Shit sorry, it's been a crazy week, trying to get with Lykouragh to knock out those games asap

• Options
    All good dude! Just needed to know if there were any problems or not

• Options
    One of the things I'd change if we do the PA league again is to take away the need to keep the same IDs. I think this would be a cool community event if we did little write ups of our games. Obviously it's harder when you have secret tech in your deck, hence it makes more sense if you're not locked down.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Also helps if this is the main way you're playing Netrunner these days to get some more variety involved.

• Options
    Yeah, when I played Lyk he said he was playing competitive decks so I did. However if others want to play more fun IDs, I'm happy to do so as well.

• Options
    Yeah I think that's fair. I was thinking for this first one it might take away the pressure for people to keep changing up their decks each round or suchlike, as well as I suppose being in the mindset of a usual tournament's rules! Next time we can definitely switch things up a bit.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Yeah it would actually be more fun if we all played jank IMO :)

• Options
    Wait. People don't play jank all the time?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Yeah it would actually be more fun if we all played jank IMO :)

I've run tournaments before where you were restricted on ID choice.
    One where you had to pick both IDs from the same deluxe expansion.
    One where only uncompetitive IDs were available.

Both were great fun, and got good feedback.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    SoCal regionals today! Took Maxx and EtF, went 6-4. Good enough for 16th place, out of 58. Was going to do better, but so it goes! Won a mat and a box in a raffle too.

Two of the 10 San Diego guys that came up made top 8 (as 1 and 8 seeds). Naturally, since they were paired up in the first round of the cut, there was some friendly betting going on...
    g22ZZaw.jpg

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Okay sorry about taking so long, Lykouragh and I finished our games and he whupped my butt both times

It was bad

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Okay sorry about taking so long, Lykouragh and I finished our games and he whupped my butt both times

It was bad

They were good games!

Actually I have a better idea than everyone plays jank- "everyone has to play PE"

• Options
    Alright folks, I have updated the scores and we have a bracket for round 3! http://challonge.com/PAFANR

Maddoc, since chincy has dropped out you have the bye I'm afraid.

Also just want to mention again about the prizes we have for this! Our very own Cerberus is being kind enough to supply some promos (play mat, alt-art ID and alt-art ice) that will be going out to the winner of the whole thing, plus two more randomly chosen newer players who are in the league as well!

@MNC Dover
    @Speed Racer
    @Maddoc
    @admanb
    @Shorty
    @Nisi
    @Neaden
    @Blue map
    @Albino Bunny
    @Ethea
    @Lykouragh
    @Dis'
    @Cerberus
    @WeedLordvegeta
    @carnarvon

• Options
    Second UK regional happened this weekend. Winning decks were apparently Argus and Kit, hot on the heels of Leela and Butchershop winning the first.

Where be your IG and Whizzard decks now, Yorick?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Second UK regional happened this weekend. Winning decks were apparently Argus and Kit, hot on the heels of Leela and Butchershop winning the first.

Where be your IG and Whizzard decks now, Yorick?

Whizz made up half the cut at Hamilton. Seamus got quite lucky in matchups in the Swiss to get his whizzard slaying Argus into the cut where it owned. It was because of the whizz meta not despite it really.

The big successful deck at Hamilton was temple Neh.

Only one person brought ig and it was the cerebral casts recursion build rather than the hive one.

Dis' on
  • Options
    Seamus is still running a Kit deck? That is awesome.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Don't suppose the deck's been posted anywhere?

(The Argus one, I mean. Always curious to see what people are doing.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

It'll be an update of this https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/31038/seamusmodernism-v-2 with a different ice suite. I'm sure he'll post it soon - a man who names a deck after himself isn't one for secrecy.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

It'll be an update of this https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/31038/seamusmodernism-v-2 with a different ice suite. I'm sure he'll post it soon - a man who names a deck after himself isn't one for secrecy.

And so it was.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    hm, interesting

seems a little short on cash though

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    hm, interesting

seems a little short on cash though

seems fine to me, it's just all in your agendas, which is part of the plan

hostile takeover+geothermal fracking+oaktown+hedge fund+beanstalk+1x restructure, should be enough

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    Thoughts on Patron in Criminal? With Desperado, we've essentially got a Symmetric Visage on steroids. With Masanori, it's a free Diesel each turn if you want it. It comes out cheap if you have Career Fair. The biggest hit is the influence, but if we're switching out RDIs for Turning Wheel we might get that influence back. We probably don't play Security Testing in this deck, though - Bank Job possibly, but not SecTest. Glacier is less a factor so there should always be a server to run.

• Options
    I don't know

I've played criminal without sectest and with bankjob and it's like playing handcuffed