As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for remodel ideas

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
So we bought a new house and are having some work done before we move in. Most significantly the entire top floor, all floors and bathrooms. We're looking for ideas for bathroom tile, paint colours, etc.

Google Images is kind of a crap shoot and is difficult to find variety. Is there a site or sites that just show... different room ideas?

For example, we have the vanity already ordered so are looking for different bathroom configurations with the colour of vanity.

Or I want to see a bunch of dining room ideas given a certain style of dining room table, which we have ordered.

I'm picturing something in my head that I can just check off boxes and then sort through oodles of photos.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Sounds like you need an interior designer!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You can get a heating element that you can put under bathroom tile so make is warm in colder weather. It's really awesome.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    For fifty bucks most places with an interior designer on staff will consult with you for like a dozen hours on this sort of thing. They'll obviously hope you user their contacting to do it, but it's not obligated. I know Lowe's does it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Sounds like you need an interior designer!

Well, I'm thinking there is probably a website out there that can show me some ideas. Like a Pinterest wall but with filters.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    For fifty bucks most places with an interior designer on staff will consult with you for like a dozen hours on this sort of thing. They'll obviously hope you user their contacting to do it, but it's not obligated. I know Lowe's does it.

I'd much rather have an idea of what I want and then go out and find it, rather than be limited to the styles/products the store has on hand to recommend.

What I'm envisioning is like those mini paint catalogs you see in front of the paint swatches, where they show you room ideas. But more extensive?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I just downloaded these two apps on my iPhone for this same purpose:

Amazing Interior Design Ideas by Hoi Yan Mak
    https://appsto.re/us/lSofN.i

Zillow Digs – Interior Design Inspiration & Cost Estimates by Zillow.com
    https://appsto.re/us/hJbpJ.i

I think I like the Zillow one better so far as it has links to the things in the picture and such.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Most of my experience is in commercial remodels, but for the residential houses that I've done, I've used some of these principles. Avoid masculin or feminin colors as the primary color, use a neutral color and use pops of more vibrant colors as accents. I'm a big fan of corian and 3-form products because they are easier to keep sanitary.

If you walk into a Home Depot or lowes they have bathrooms designed and set up they are a good place to walk around and get ideas

zepherin on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Houzz is pretty good for finding ideas.

• Options
    I just downloaded these two apps on my iPhone for this same purpose:

Amazing Interior Design Ideas by Hoi Yan Mak
    https://appsto.re/us/lSofN.i

Zillow Digs – Interior Design Inspiration & Cost Estimates by Zillow.com
    https://appsto.re/us/hJbpJ.i

I think I like the Zillow one better so far as it has links to the things in the picture and such.

Awesome, I'll download them on my iPad tonight and check them out.
    schuss wrote: »
    Houzz is pretty good for finding ideas.

Never heard of this. Thanks!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I'd much rather have an idea of what I want and then go out and find it, rather than be limited to the styles/products the store has on hand to recommend.

What I'm envisioning is like those mini paint catalogs you see in front of the paint swatches, where they show you room ideas. But more extensive?

My mother is an interior designer. She has a library like you speak of. It took her something like 25 years to develop.

That's part of what you are paying for, someone who knows how to listen to the rough ideas of what you want and give you ideas based off of years and years of research and skill.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

My mother is an interior designer. She has a library like you speak of. It took her something like 25 years to develop.

That's part of what you are paying for, someone who knows how to listen to the rough ideas of what you want and give you ideas based off of years and years of research and skill.

I guess, except now there are apps that do exactly what I described with millions of photos.

And they include paint codes. And links to buy the tile..or the furniture. Etc.

I'm not dumping on interior design as a career but I wanted something I could look into myself and I was given several options.