As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadian Care Package: Shipping Question

WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
Was sending my friend in the US some gifts for his kids come Xmas, and wanted to also do somewhat of a Canadian care pack to it, and just looking for things I may have not realized yet. Basically junk food/treats/etc type things you can get in Canada but not US.

So far have;

Ketchup Chips
Coffee Crisps
Tim Horton's Coffee

Sadly, nothing can be along these lines I learnt,

Kinder Surprise Eggs. I'm apparently not allowed to send those?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
WiseManTobes on

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The Kinder Eggs are a true shame.. I had my first one ever at PAX and I wanted to have all of them forever.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Butter tarts or Nanaimo bars would be a great addition, awesome desserts that the USA doesn't have.

Shreddies maybe, though that's not really a treat so much, not that stops me from just eating them out of the box until their gone.

Smarties, Glossettes, Wunderbar, Caramilk, Mr.Big, Aero, Crunchie, and Mackintoshes Toffee are all non-american candy bars.

Bridge Mixture is also pretty Canadian.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Depending on where in the US you're talking, you could send maple syrup.

It's a pale imitation of Vermont syrup, but it will do in a pinch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    This post has some of the junk food you can get in Canada, but not the USA. It looks like a few have already been mentioned:

https://www.quora.com/What-junk-food-products-can-you-get-in-Canada-but-not-the-United-States

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Any maple candy if they like super sweet stuff.
    You mentioned ketchup chips but I'd go one farther and say Old Dutch chips (or is that just a western thing?)
    Hickory Sticks

steam_sig.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Was sending my friend in the US some gifts for his kids come Xmas, and wanted to also do somewhat of a Canadian care pack to it, and just looking for things I may have not realized yet. Basically junk food/treats/etc type things you can get in Canada but not US.

So far have;

Ketchup Chips
    Coffee Crisps
    Tim Horton's Coffee

Sadly, nothing can be along these lines I learnt,

Might want to check where he lives in the U.S. as Tim Hortons has started opening up here. My home town has two.

LostNinja on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    target actually sells tim hortons coffee

camo_sig.png
  • BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

They're banned in the US, don't mail them unless you want to risk the entire package getting seized.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Blarghy wrote: »

They're banned in the US, don't mail them unless you want to risk the entire package getting seized.

The chance your entire package getting seized is next to nil. At worst they'll take the eggs out.

I've sent hundreds of Kinder eggs to the US over the years and have never had an incident.

As for stuff to send, Smarties and Rockets. It's crazy opposite land down there and they call Rockets Smarties. They call Smarties "Happy Round Colour Choco Candy".

The latter might be made up.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wait, US smarties are rockets in Canada? My partner talks about eating rockets constantly, they're his favorite. But man, US smarties are gross.

They probably won't seize the package for Kinder Eggs if your only sending like 3, what normally happens is that it either gets their fine and unopened, or customs will open the package take out the chocolate and leave the prize.

The easier way though is to just get a few bars of Kinder chocolate, and then send only the toy capsules along with it.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Wait, US smarties are rockets in Canada? My partner talks about eating rockets constantly, they're his favorite. But man, US smarties are gross.

Yeah, just chalky sugar candies. They're normally only around during Halloween up here.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    They probably won't seize the package for Kinder Eggs if your only sending like 3, what normally happens is that it either gets their fine and unopened, or customs will open the package take out the chocolate and leave the prize.

The easier way though is to just get a few bars of Kinder chocolate, and then send only the toy capsules along with it.

They open the egg and remove the prize? I thought the prize was the reason they were illegal in the US.

Man the chocolate isn't THAT good, all I really care about is the prize.

BlazeFire wrote: »

They open the egg and remove the prize? I thought the prize was the reason they were illegal in the US.

toys inside candy is why they are banned,because of an old law about choking hazards having a non-edible part within food.

so sometimes they will remove the chocolate, throw that out and then put the toy back in your package.

and ya, the toy capsule is the reason I get them occasionally, the chocolate is ok but nothing special.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

toys inside candy is why they are banned,because of an old law about choking hazards having a non-edible part within food.

so sometimes they will remove the chocolate, throw that out and then put the toy back in your package.

and ya, the toy capsule is the reason I get them occasionally, the chocolate is ok but nothing special.

That is actually surprising to hear and actually pretty nice of them.

Wait, is this Canadian custom officials doing this, or American?

Morkath wrote: »

That is actually surprising to hear and actually pretty nice of them.

Wait, is this Canadian custom officials doing this, or American?

American,saw a few of stories about it when I used to browse Kinder egg toy collector forums a few years ago.

Of course, there were also stories about packages just being seized, or large fines being levied as well. Probably depends on how nice the customs people are feeling that day.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The worst part about the Kinder egg thing, is I got a box of Russian knock off Guardians of the Galaxy kinder eggs, I'd love to send him a couple of those also.

( they are hilariously bad, so bad they are amazing, barely qualifies as a toy, and for some reason, there's 1 of each character, but 6 different Drax's)

You don't get Donairs in the states?

How the hell can I send a donair thru the mail!

Also because all toys that come with candy must be suitable for all ages, but the toys are labelled 3+.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Those maple cookies are good.

I guess the US doesn't have coffee crisp and aero bars???

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You don't get Donairs in the states?

How the hell can I send a donair thru the mail!

... a Gyro? You can get gyros everywhere. Google tells me a donair is a Gyro with a sweet garlic sauce instead of tzatziki. You can probably get that at Gyro places. But you could get the sauce and send it.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I've never come across a gyro place that has the same meat texture and flavour as donairs.

Some supermarkets have started carrying things like Crunchie bars, Aero (usually just chocolate), an on incredibly rare occasion you might find a coffee crisp.

Some supermarkets have started carrying things like Crunchie bars, Aero (usually just chocolate), an on incredibly rare occasion you might find a coffee crisp.

In a way this makes me feel better about sending Coffee Crisps, because I felt almost evil sending someone coffee crisps that can't get more than what I send them, they are basically chocolate cocaine

• Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular

Wait, coffee crisp and aero is "non-American" candy"? You guys are missing out.

How about maple sugar candies - the ones in the shape of tiny maple leaves? Not sure if you'd have those down in the US, but you can't go to a sugarbush up here without having one. I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    pink cream soda

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    While you're picking up chips, you should also send some All-Dressed in addition to Ketchup, as I don't believe All-Dressed has really penetrated the US market at all.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    If you're getting All Dressed chips, avoid everything except Ruffles. Ruffles = best All Dressed.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Reznik wrote: »
    If you're getting All Dressed chips, avoid everything except Ruffles. Ruffles = best All Dressed.

This was true until Ruffles (and most chip brands) started using far less flavouring. Now they're all bleh.

Personally I always look for the off-brand or no name. They tend to be better around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj18JFVnQt4

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'd just like to say that every time I see this thread title, I think to myself, "Canadian Care Package sounds like something that would have a really filthy definition on Urban Dictionary."

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Send him Canadian Oreos for some comparative testing. The ingredients of Canadian and American Oreos are near completely different.

Also the thumbnail of that YouTube reminds me of the two salty snacks I like more than their American counterparts; Cheezies and Old Dutch Ariba nachos.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    Send him Canadian Oreos for some comparative testing. The ingredients of Canadian and American Oreos are near completely different.

Also the thumbnail of that YouTube reminds me of the two salty snacks I like more than their American counterparts; Cheezies and Old Dutch Ariba nachos.

Okay, now you're just making shit up.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Hahaha.

The American side of my family always comes up in the summer to get their hands on another few bags of Canadian Cheezies.

Imagine a Cheeto, but crunchy, as if it had been deep fried in the KFC Extra Crunchy batter. And it tastes much more like actual cheddar.

(...AAaaaaand it makes you horribly sick if you're lactose intolerant. But it's worth it x.x )

With Love and Courage
    edited October 2015
    The Ender wrote: »

Hahaha.

The American side of my family always comes up in the summer to get their hands on another few bags of Canadian Cheezies.

Imagine a Cheeto, but crunchy, as if it had been deep fried in the KFC Extra Crunchy batter. And it tastes much more like actual cheddar.

(...AAaaaaand it makes you horribly sick if you're lactose intolerant. But it's worth it x.x )

Cheezies are the best roadtrip food ever, every time I have to go for a long drive I make sure to get myself a bag.

Foomy on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Cheezies are the fucking best

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular

I thought so too, but I just got curious and googled that. Apparently there are actually some differences! https://sites.google.com/site/oreoscomparison/

Small add on question. Long time friend of mine, known forever, but this is going to be 100% a surprise, is there maybe a $ amount I should stop myself at, could I maybe offend if it's stupid extravagant?

( For reference, we're close to 200$ worth of stuff, tho, there's addons like pop figures for him and wife, lego for kids, etc, and we just keep adding more, and there's still over a month til this thing gets shipped)

That is far too subjective for anyone here to answer for you. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Ok, have everything gathered, thought I'd post a pic to see if anything sets off a flag for unable to ship.

And then, what would be the best route for shipping from Kelowna B.C. to Toledo Ohio? I'm guessing Greyhound? Do they ship cross the border?

Weight is just under 20 pounds once boxed.

Pic
    8dd29g9zt820.jpg