As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medical bloodwork and Marijuana

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have this liver problem. This means I have to get bloodwork done at the doctor on the 27th, to get my liver enzymes checked out. However, my friends want to get me high tommorow, with a bit o' the reefer. Should this show up in my bloodwork a week later, or do they have to test for it specifically? Should I be abstaining? It's a university health center, so I would rather not have them go "UH. HEY DRUGS *EXPELLED*"

Thanks.

SniperGuy on

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They have to test for it specifically. And I would think that it being a University health center means they're more open to it. Also, doctors can't just tell authorities that somebody was using drugs.

In other words, smoke your heart out.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are you part of an experimental study? It could nix you as a control group member. If it's just a trip to the doc's, and that's where it happens to be, you shouldn't have too much to worry about - medical records are confidential, at least in theory.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Experimental study? Buh? No, I had abnormal amounts of enzyme activity in my liver last month, have to wait till the 27th to get bloodwork to check if it was just a random thing or if something weird is going on. And I signed a thing allowing them to transfer my medical records to my family doctor, who is the one that discovered the liver problems, so they're exchanging information. So yeah, parents could also find out, assuming they go "hey, pot!"

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A liver panel doesn't include weed testing, and even if it did they wouldn't care. Smoke away.

Fats on
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As I understand it, unless there is something stating otherwise in your file, your parents lose access to it the day you hit 18 unless there is verbal/written consent.

So I don't think you'd have to worry about your parents finding out through the transferring of medical information between doctors.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They aren't going to be looking for pot. That's really all that needs to be said.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Celebrate 4.20

Pojaco on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kk. Thanks guys.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If your family doctor turned over the fact that you were smoking weed to your parents, you could sue the shit out of him. If the university health center turned over the fact that you were smoking weed to the university, you could sue the shit out of them.

In both cases, you're covered by doctor/patient confidentiality. Though, like everyone else says, unless they're testing for it specifically, they're not going to see it.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.