As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Phantom Pain

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    there's no way they made those models just for a pachinko game, especially considering that all the other pachinko games on the same channel exclusively use the original games' assets

which means that kojipro was working on something in the fox engine that would've used the original cast of mgs3

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I mean they made that volgin model for one minor optional scene

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I would happily pay for Snake Eater remake on Fox Engine on PC.

Even though it's KONAMI, and they don't deserve it... and i would still pay.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The sllllllowwwwwwww pan adding the pachinko overlay onto the footage feels like a deliberate "go fuck yourself"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The sllllllowwwwwwww pan adding the pachinko overlay onto the footage feels like a deliberate "go fuck yourself"

I think you are probably reading stuff that isn't actually there.

Pachinko is a huge industry in Japan, and this was an advertisement made for that market. Like, often the biggest non government building in the towns I lived around were the pachinko parlors. The overlay being added on is most likely more of a "Yeah this is what you'll actually be seeing while you play its nuts!"

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Pachinko is a huge industry in Japan, and this was an advertisement made for that market. Like, often the biggest non government building in the towns I lived around were the pachinko parlors. The overlay being added on is most likely more of a "Yeah this is what you'll actually be seeing while you play its nuts!"

Of course it isn't actually one

But it's so unbelievably drawn out that it feels like "oh you thought this was a game, huh

noooooooooooooooooooooooo itsssssssssssss nottttttttttttttttttttttt PACHINKO"

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    if I'd have to guess, it being pachinko is probably more obvious if you can actually read Japanese

or if you just follow the news and remember that Konami trademarked the BIGBOSS pachinko thingy some months ago

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    PULL THE LEVER

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Neveron wrote: »
    if I'd have to guess, it being pachinko is probably more obvious if you can actually read Japanese

or if you just follow the news and remember that Konami trademarked the BIGBOSS pachinko thingy some months ago

Yeah like 18 seconds into the trailer it says "pachisuro" in huge letters, it's not trying to hide anything.

Edit: Also the first word of the title of the video.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

They definitely didn't intend to poop on metal gear fans

But that slow pullback almost feels like a parody of konami

An ad made to fuck with metal gear fans would be nearly indistinguishable from what they've made here

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Using a Rolls Royce piece of tech like the Fox Engine to power the push-lawnmower that is a pachinko machine feels like the most goddamn Konami thing ever.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Using a Rolls Royce piece of tech like the Fox Engine to power the push-lawnmower that is a pachinko machine feels like the most goddamn Konami thing ever.

Pachislots is an arms race. Those buildings are crammed with machines. Your machine better be prettier, shinier, louder, flashier, etc than the one next to it if you want that sweet, sweet gambling dollar. Also have good mechanics that can lead to potential large payouts and tease players, but, being pretty helps.

They definitely didn't intend to poop on metal gear fans

But that slow pullback almost feels like a parody of konami

An ad made to fuck with metal gear fans would be nearly indistinguishable from what they've made here

It shows the pachislot machine before it does the pullback. Pretty sure the point of the pullback is "Yeah, these are the graphics you'll be seeing while you are gambling, our machine is dope."

I just don't see it, I guess *shrugs*

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Since we're talking about shit Konami does.

PES 2017 was announced last week and the press release specifically mentioned that it was built with the Fox Engine.

Which I thought was a bit weird.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I mean they sunk a lot of money into making the fox engine, they're gonna recoup it any way they can

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I just wonder if the person who was handed the Fox Engine to do this, like, got what was going on.

"You want me to recreate MGS3 in the Fox Engine for what now?"

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I mean they sunk a lot of money into making the fox engine, they're gonna recoup it any way they can

I'm not surprised they're using it, just that they're putting it in press releases.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just wonder if the person who was handed the Fox Engine to do this, like, got what was going on.

"You want me to recreate MGS3 in the Fox Engine for what now?"

For a hugely lucrative industry. They probably understood perfectly.

• Options
    Beyond all of this

I guarantee that single brand of Pachinko machine will be more profitable than The Phantom Pain

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    yo if I was going to buy this game now for the first time is it fucked or has Konami left it sorta alone? I heard vague rumblings of bad things but I don't know if it ruins the game or it's just annoying.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    It doesn't ruin the game, they'll just pop up things occasionally trying to get you to use their online stuff.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    yo if I was going to buy this game now for the first time is it fucked or has Konami left it sorta alone? I heard vague rumblings of bad things but I don't know if it ruins the game or it's just annoying.

the main issue with it is that it insists on locking you out of the majority of your money if you're playing offline

which isn't really a problem... unless there's internet problems

afaik you can avoid the issue if you just reject the EULA when you start the game and play offline forever, which locks you out of the online modes, but

that's not really a big deal

• Options
    And if you're playing online other people invade your base and wreck your shit, what, sometimes? Often?

• Options
    And if you're playing online other people invade your base and wreck your shit, what, sometimes? Often?

sometimes yeah

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Last time I fired it up (a couple of months back) I'd been invaded a total of about 3 times on PC since release. Every time the player died in the attempt because my defence team were on point. Also all the stuff that you can loose in an invasion are either resources generated by the online component anyway (so it pays for itself) or staff which are replaceable and can be tagged to be unstealable if you get attached.

Overall the online component is a net gain in resources and staff caps and you don't need to put any cash in to unlock or improve it bar buying extra online bases beyond the free one given to you.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Cool, thanks guys. This game is like 30 bucks now, I don't really have a reason not to play it.

• Options
    If you're allergic to wet computer tits that'd be a reason

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Look, wet computer tits were critical to the narrative they were crafting andpfffffhahahahahaha

Hahaha

Hah

hrmph

• Options
    I mean fuck that shit for real but does it ruin the game?

• Options
    It definitely depends on your allergy level, there are some extreme moments

Also extremely mortifying, not a game to play if you think people are gonna be walking in on you

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

there is an attempted sexual assault on her as well

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    There is at least an alternate uniform you can unlock, though it's fairly mid/late game if I recall.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    And it won't be used in any cutscenes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I hate that crap because it forces you to say "I think that kind of content is reprehensible but I'm going to play this game anyway because the rest of it is great" or "I'm making a stand for how I think women should be portrayed and treated by not buying this already wildly successful game."

I was all set to play this thing and now ya'll got me hesitating.

• Options
    I hate that crap because it forces you to say "I think that kind of content is reprehensible but I'm going to play this game anyway because the rest of it is great" or "I'm making a stand for how I think women should be portrayed and treated by not buying this already wildly successful game."

I was all set to play this thing and now ya'll got me hesitating.

The stuff is for real gross.

But you buying the game or not at this point isn't going to change konami or kojima putting out sexist stuff one way or the other, so any stand you take in purely symbolic. Which can still totally be worth doing, mind you.

I dunno, I'm pretty down on MGSV in general so if you have reservations about it you aren't going to miss much by not playing it and there are probably better games out there to spend your time and money on.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

there is an attempted sexual assault on her as well

I do not remember this.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Down, really? Almost everything I've heard about the game itself, Quiet stuff excluded, has been pretty positive (if you don't get hung up on the story I guess, but I could give a fuck).

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'd say go for it but be ready to roll your eyes pretty hard at parts.

It's a really fun game. It is definitely a shame that recommendations have to come with caveats though

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The actual act of playing MGSV was almost pure joy for me

• Options
    Down, really? Almost everything I've heard about the game itself, Quiet stuff excluded, has been pretty positive (if you don't get hung up on the story I guess, but I could give a fuck).

I mean, I'm definitely in the minority here but I think it is one of the worst MGS games from a writing, directing and gameplay perspective. To call it a huge personal disapointment is an understatement.