As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hilldawg 2016: The Most Unvetted Candidate of 2016

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited November 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Since we have a bernie thread I think its time for a Hillary thread, currently polling at the front of the race nationally for the democratic party's nomination for president. Hillary is the best chance we have to keep the presidency from the derp side.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/hillary-clinton-bucks-trend-goes-bold-gun-issue

Hillary is currently also in the wake of another "unique event" going hard on gun control which puts her to the left of Bernie Sanders even.

This thread is about Hillary Clinton and her race for the presidency, it is not about Bill Clinton or the Clinton admin from 92-00. Vince Foster talk not allowed, nor are discussions about whether you think Hillary is a lesbian or anything other than Hillary Clinton's current run for president of the US.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Since we have a bernie thread I think its time for a Hillary thread, currently polling at the front of the race nationally for the democratic party's nomination for president. Hillary is the best chance we have to keep the presidency from the derp side.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/hillary-clinton-bucks-trend-goes-bold-gun-issue

Hillary is currently also in the wake of another "unique event" going hard on gun control which puts her to the left of Bernie Sanders even.

Gun control is usually more of a centrist position than a leftist position.

Mrs. Clinton also recently gained the support of the NEA; she certainly seems to be getter the far better end in terms of endorsements.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I enjoy some of her merch

Womens_PantsuitTee_Front_large.jpg?v=1443834754
    10-Pillow_grande.jpg?v=1432490308

• Options
    Not in america it isn't. Gun control is definitely a lefty left radical lefty idea. Democrats have traditionally ran far and wide away from it because getting elected is more important than governing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Alright, that shirt is p awesome.

EDIT: The pillow is also good, but I really dislike the logo that the Clinton campaign picked.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    man, finally a thread where we can talk about Bernie Sanders!!

but seriously, i haven't been following any candidate that closely, pretty much just relying on the threads here to keep my somewhat up to date. but i've gotten the impression that Hilary hasn't been campaigning to hard just yet. is that the case and if so when are we likely to see her kick into a higher gear?

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Ender wrote: »

EDIT: The pillow is also good, but I really dislike the logo that the Clinton campaign picked.

Logo seems to imply she is moving rightward. Weird choice.

• Options
    She hasn't been doing big media appearances, but she's been to a lot of closed to the press events. Working on the ground game and getting endorsements like the NEA.

Also she's back on top in Iowa after that brief bit where Sanders was leading there, still losing in New hampshire, overall still up nationally. I imagine when Biden decides not to run her numbers will go up again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

but seriously, i haven't been following any candidate that closely, pretty much just relying on the threads here to keep my somewhat up to date. but i've gotten the impression that Hilary hasn't been campaigning to hard just yet. is that the case and if so when are we likely to see her kick into a higher gear?

Beginning of next year, maybe. She doesn't need to build visible ground support like Bernie does right now. I think they are both taking good strategies at this point.

• Options

only as you look at it, which would mean leftward from its/the wearers perspective... but i agree with others that its not the best logo.

still better than JEB! though.

• Options

I think the intent is to show an arrow moving forward. It's just placed awkwardly (granted, it's hard to work with an 'H' when it comes to logo design).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I reallt wonder what will happen with all these Union endorsements once Sanders gets better known. It is easy to imagine members being displeased with the choice of leadership to back the weaker labor candidate.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Beginning of next year, maybe. She doesn't need to build visible ground support like Bernie does right now. I think they are both taking good strategies at this point.

It seems like the best thing she can do right now is rest on her name recognition and not give the media more things to jump on. The email issue has already been shockingly sticky. I thought that wasn't going to even be a blip for her when it was first raised and now it is the main story about her campaign.

• Options

I think the intent is to show an arrow moving forward. It's just placed awkwardly (granted, it's hard to work with an 'H' when it comes to logo design).

Yeah an H is hard not to look like a Hospital or helipad symbol and you obviously want to avoid a C.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hilary hold back right now makes sense to me. its not like she needs to build up her image, she's already a well known figure. just wasn't sure if i was missing anything on her side, but seems to be exactly what i thought. lots of smaller appearances and alliance building rather than pound-the-pavement campaigning.

• Options
    Also, can we change the thread name to something less combative? The title makes it seem like she is the only candidate that can beat the GOP. Why not "Hilldawg 2016: the power of pantsuits" or something?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    This was pretty great this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV2nbVESJzc

Good PR

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Only real problem is Hillary has terrible stage vision, she looks past the actress playing her obviously reading her lines.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also, can we change the thread name to something less combative? The title makes it seem like she is the only candidate that can beat the GOP. Why not "Hilldawg 2016: the power of pantsuits" or something?

lol yes the thread about the female candidate should mention her clothes

• Options
    Only real problem is Hillary has terrible stage vision, she looks past the actress playing her obviously reading her lines.

So was Miley

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Technically the name's an issue as well.

I feel like this is deja vu all over again... Last year, when the choice was between Quinn and Rauner, I really, REALLY didn't want to vote for Quinn. But I knew in my heart that Rauner would be much worse, and yet people would vote for him because it would be a change of any kind. And.. well.. now the state's imploding.

I fear the same thing with next year's political environment. I really, REALLY don't want to vote for Hillary. But I fear what else may be on the ballot, and I also fear that a lot of people will want to get any Republican in there no matter how damaging it is to them personally.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    This was pretty great this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV2nbVESJzc

Good PR

That was good, Hillary was a pretty good sport with some of those jokes.

• Options
    Best Bill Clinton impression of all time

• Options

So was Miley

This was the only skit I watched, but that doesn't surprise me. Though its worse for Miley who in theory acted before. Hillary's only acting came during one of the benghazi hearing where she pretended she gave a shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Best Bill Clinton impression of all time

pity they couldn't have gotten Bill to do it himself, but i'm guessing that would have just stolen attention from Hilary, defeating the point.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

It seems like the best thing she can do right now is rest on her name recognition and not give the media more things to jump on. The email issue has already been shockingly sticky. I thought that wasn't going to even be a blip for her when it was first raised and now it is the main story about her campaign.

The email issue has been sticky because it lets the media create a narrative for the campaign, which is still in its early stages--and the Republican candidates are more than happy to bring it up, of course.

The actual election is still more than a year away. Unless it turns up something juicy, it's not going to last that long. Eventually the media will focus on other election things, whether it's important stuff (like a candidate clinching the Republican nomination) or just stupid gaffes and poor answers to gotcha questions. As is, email coverage basically comes down to repeating the same points over and over ("There's no evidence Hillary did anything wrong... but what if she did????") or bringing up stupid, mundane shit (the email that recently brought the press to a tizzy was Hillary asking what "fubar" meant).

• Options

So was Miley

This was the only skit I watched, but that doesn't surprise me. Though its worse for Miley who in theory acted before. Hillary's only acting came during one of the benghazi hearing where she pretended she gave a shit.

most of the time on SNL people are blatantly reading cards

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Posted this in the ME thread, but: Clinton is again taking her foreign policy cues from John McCain, and advocating a "no fly zone" in Syria, where Russian jets are currently bombing. Truly a frighteningly confrontational policy. Obama's response was basically "She's just saying that because she's running a campaign, if she was in office she wouldn't do anything that dumb," but given her extremely militaristic track record I'm not so sure.

Also, I was hoping for some interesting stuff in the released Clinton emails, but unfortunately everything important is classified/redacted, so it will be at least ten years before we can learn anything interesting from them.

Kaputa on
  • Options

So was Miley

most of the time on SNL people are blatantly reading cards

I'll have to defer to you on this one, I don't watch the program.

And the email thing is a great example of the media running with a narrative given to them by Trey Gowdy, and then reporting on their invented narrative thereby creating the story. "Isn't hillary untrustworthy?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Not in america it isn't. Gun control is definitely a lefty left radical lefty idea. Democrats have traditionally ran far and wide away from it because getting elected is more important than governing.

Yup at one time it was pretty centrist but now it is a total third rail unless you are a lefty lefty liberal commie muslim chemist.

• Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    So I never watch these morning shows, but my dad turned on Today this morning and Hillary happened to be on. She was being interviewed by Savannah Guthrie in some barn or wherever and of course the email issue came up.

The interaction starts at 3:10 here: http://www.today.com/news/visibly-angry-hillary-clinton-talks-benghazi-today-committee-not-appropriate-t48111

The interview definitely tries to attack Hillary on the issue, but there is just a holy shit moment where the bias completely comes through at 5:47 where Savannah Guthrie says
    You mention your Republican rivals making hay of this, I have to ask you: If the tables were turned and it was Dick Cheney or Karl Rove who had a private email account and a private server on which they conducted all their government business, would you be as understanding?

That was the moment where I saw, first hand, the media willing to completely disregard past incident just to push Hillary on this stupid witch hunt. I mean, Jesus Christ what a joke.

• Options
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Posted this in the ME thread, but: Clinton is again taking her foreign policy cues from John McCain, and advocating a "no fly zone" in Syria, where Russian jets are currently bombing. Truly a frighteningly confrontational policy. Obama's response was basically "She's just saying that because she's running a campaign, if she was in office she wouldn't do anything that dumb," but given her extremely militaristic track record I'm not so sure.

Also, I was hoping for some interesting stuff in the released Clinton emails, but unfortunately everything important is classified/redacted, so it will be at least ten years before we can learn anything interesting from them.

taking a hard stance on Syria during that campaign puts her in a good negotiating position should she win the election. she makes a lot of noise about a no-fly zone, then walks it back in talks with Putin in return from something she wants from them.

its the same tactic others have said she should be applying to the minimum wage issue, push for $15 in the hope of getting the $12 she wants/thinks is achievable.

• Options
    The email "scandal" is upsetting because it tends to overshadow actual criticisms of Clinton/stifles reasonable debate on her candidacy.

• Options

There is nothing in the emails, if there was the GOP wouldn't be handing out half talk information to discredit Hillary. Literally anything that comes out of "hillary's emails" is horseshit GOP narrative and it makes me sad as fuck that democrats are running with it because they back sanders.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    The email issue has been incredibly frustrating to read about. My little local paper posted an article about it. The post said her emails contained 400 instances of classified information (of course, no mention of how many were duplicates due to reply chains). The article said that security officials insisted the info was classified at the time of the emails. The source linked for that said officials said the info should have been classified.

But of course that requires more words than "Hillary's emails contain classified info," so, y'know. Clintons untrustworthy as always, etc.

• Options
    edited October 2015

There is nothing in the emails, if there was the GOP wouldn't be handing out half talk information to discredit Hillary. Literally anything that comes out of "hillary's emails" is horseshit GOP narrative and it makes me sad as fuck that democrats are running with it because they back sanders.
    Uh, no. Have you looked at the email dump at all, or are you just saying this because you like Clinton? The emails contain tons of potentially interesting conversation between Hillary and other officials/figures, often concerning major foreign policy issues during her tenure as Secretary of State, like the Libyan and Syrian civil wars. Nothing interesting is available to the public, because most of the emails are redacted in part or in full.

edit - like, I don't care about the emails for the reasons the Republicans seem to, but if they weren't redacted they'd be enlightening for the same reasons that any trove of a state official's emails would be.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I wasn't paying attention to D&D back in 2008...did Hillary v. Obama have the same impact on discourse that we're getting with this primary?

Cuz discussions around this have had about as much civility as a knife fight, even this far out.

• Options

taking a hard stance on Syria during that campaign puts her in a good negotiating position should she win the election. she makes a lot of noise about a no-fly zone, then walks it back in talks with Putin in return from something she wants from them.

its the same tactic others have said she should be applying to the minimum wage issue, push for $15 in the hope of getting the $12 she wants/thinks is achievable.

...For what reason should we trust your apparently psychic intuition for what Mrs. Clinton really means?

I think it's likely that the No Fly Zone proponents, including Mrs. Clinton, feel that Russian forces will blink and leave the area & in that sense do not actually wish to provoke a war (Mr. Kasich, for example, has been explicit about this). But at the same time I don't believe they appreciate / care about what happens if the Russian forces don't blink.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    I wasn't paying attention to D&D back in 2008...did Hillary v. Obama have the same impact on discourse that we're getting with this primary?

Cuz discussions around this have had about as much civility as a knife fight, even this far out.

there's a reason people call politics a bloodsport.

• Options
    fortis wrote: »
    So I never watch these morning shows, but my dad turned on Today this morning and Hillary happened to be on. She was being interviewed by Savannah Guthrie in some barn or wherever and of course the email issue came up.

The interaction starts at 3:10 here: http://www.today.com/news/visibly-angry-hillary-clinton-talks-benghazi-today-committee-not-appropriate-t48111

The interview definitely tries to attack Hillary on the issue, but there is just a holy shit moment where the bias completely comes through at 5:47 where Savannah Guthrie says
    You mention your Republican rivals making hay of this, I have to ask you: If the tables were turned and it was Dick Cheney or Karl Rove who had a private email account and a private server on which they conducted all their government business, would you be as understanding?

That was the moment where I saw, first hand, the media willing to completely disregard past incident just to push Hillary on this stupid witch hunt. I mean, Jesus Christ what a joke.

Good lord. Yeah what a genius pick by Guthrie. I know thats her producers doing that, but man alive if she had any integrity she would have refused to read that.

"Nope then I'll come off as a fucking idiot, they did have a scandal and shockingly no one in the media gave a shit."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Uh, no. Have you looked at the email dump at all, or are you just saying this because you like Clinton? The emails contain tons of potentially interesting conversation between Hillary and other officials/figures, often concerning major foreign policy issues during her tenure as Secretary of State, like the Libyan and Syrian civil wars. Nothing interesting is available to the public, because most of the emails are redacted in part or in full.

edit - like, I don't care about the emails for the reasons the Republicans seem to, but if they weren't redacted they'd be enlightening for the same reasons that any trove of a state official's emails would be.

I readily admit I haven't gone diving to read them myself, but the only concerning thing I've heard this point was that one email from 2011 where she purposely eschewed LGBT rights because of how the right wing media would have reacted/responded. Reluctance to do something that's right because of how critics might respond isn't something I like to see in a leader.

This discussion has been closed.