As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Uncharted!] You used to Chloe on my cell phone

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The marketing for this is kinda nuts

I got a package from Amazon today and it had a giant Uncharted 4 ad printed on the yellow package envelope itself

I don't think I've ever seen an ad on an Amazon package before

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    This game was really good but I kinda missed the crazy escalation of the previous games.

The craziness basically peaked at the clock tower and subsequent chase, but apart from that the setpieces were pretty sedate by series standards.

broken image link
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm sure it's already been said, but re: the finale:
    the sword fight is probably my least favorite thing in all four games. So so annoying

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I'm sure it's already been said, but re: the finale:
    the sword fight is probably my least favorite thing in all four games. So so annoying

Really? I enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

I think it worked really well cinematically, but maybe not so much from a controls standpoint; I had fun with it but could understand why a lot of people wouldn't, given that it was partially a qte and partially introducing controls that weren't used before in the game when the rest of the it had a predictable control scheme

It would have been neat if they'd have taken a page from Prince of Persia and made the final level a climbing "boss", rather than an all-out fight, and to be honest that was what I was expecting given the deeper focus on that part of the game

Again, I didn't mind it, but can see why others might

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    still on the ending thing:
    My problem is that it feels a little too unforgiving. It took me waaaay to many tries to get through. Which, sure, totally on me, but after most of the previous QTEs being significantly less of a pain in the ass, it feels like a weirdly artificial way to make the finale difficult.

Having finally gotten through it I'm looking back on it in a better light, but if you have trouble getting it down then it's just a... weirdly out-of-character roadblock in the very tail end of the game.

The swimming after and stuff like that is why I'm here, not whatever that was.

That said, it's not so bad, but definitely still think it was the most annoying thing I personally had to deal with in all 4 games. Including janky jetskis.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Ok with dark souls 3 finished (twice!) and setting my other souls games aside I finally am starting these games that have been gathering dust for like 2-3 years!

First one is really really fun but I'm definitely looking forward to the sequels if the controls and shooting are cleaned up a bit.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Neil Druckmann sat down with the new Rolling Stone-made outlet Glixel for a postmortem on the game as a whole

Includes this very interesting segment about how they found themselves influenced by Anita Sarkeesian's work, how that reflected in the final product, and how integrating that went

(Full game spoilers)
    You’ve said in the past that you’ve been influenced by Anita Sarkeesian’s Feminist Frequency videos and the larger conversation about diversity and representation in games. How did that affect Uncharted 4?

Druckmann: When I’m introducing and describing a new character to our lead character concept artist, constantly she will ask, “What if it was a girl?” And I’m like, Oh, I didn’t think about that. Let me think, does that affect or change anything? No? Cool, that’s different. Yeah, let’s do it.

Initially, in the epilogue, it was Nate’s son. Something similar happened with the mansion they go into. That was an old English guy’s house. She asked, Well, what if it was a woman?

You have some sexist focus testers who were really upset by Nadine beating up Nate, and really upset at the end when it was Nate’s daughter. To the point where we had to ask one guy to leave. In his core, it just affected him. He was cursing, “Not you, too, Naughty Dog! Goddammit. I guess I’m done with Uncharted, if you guys ever make another one, with his daughter. This fucking bullshit.”

And I was like, Wow, why does that matter?

That's amazing. He played an entire game that's about Nate, Sully, and Sam. I mean, it's about Elena, too, but not really. And you're going to go bonkers because Nate has a daughter?

It's interesting that you say it isn't about Elena. I haven't timed it, but I think she's in the game more than Sullivan.

She definitely is. And the game is certainly about their marriage. But is Rocky about Adrian?

The Feminist Frequency review that I just watched, which I actually really enjoyed, talked about this. I disagree with them. They said they didn't like how Elena was handled in the story. That she becomes an obstacle to Nathan, that's she's this wet blanket, and she's the thing that's holding him back.

My interpretation, or at least our intention, is that she's not. The only thing holding Nate back is Nate.

If anything, Elena is trying to urge him to take this Malaysia job, even though it's illegal. The thing that makes Elena the most upset is that he doesn't include her. That's his biggest flaw in the story, that he ends up lying to her.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Gotta agree that the only thing holding Nate back is Nate. He's a fuckup and an asshole several times in this game, and in a believable, relatable way. Elena isn't a wet blanket, she's the voice of reason and empathy. Elena and Sam are the Angel and Devil on Nate's shoulders.

• Options
    I mean, Feminist Frequency had the same issue I did there, but it's good to hear it being acknowledged, and I do appreciate all the other instances where they introduced female characters to the story quite a bit!

Hilarious to hear about that one shitty focus tester. Good riddance.

Steam
  • Options

The one cut Druckmann wishes was in the final game
    Nate and Sam were going to have a playful swordfight in Evelyn's mansion in Chapter 16, and that would introduce all the mechanics for the final fight with Rafe

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

The one cut Druckmann wishes was in the final game
    Nate and Sam were going to have a playful swordfight in Evelyn's mansion in Chapter 16, and that would introduce all the mechanics for the final fight with Rafe

That would have been a super great idea
    And I assume would have made the pretend saber fight in Libertalia even better as a hilarious callback

Steam
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    This game was great and also good and also the combat was great

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I would have liked a cooking segment

• Options
    I'm not entirely sure but

I think this game references the Hurley bird from Lost

At least, each time that bird's been encountered and Nate freaks out I've immediately thought the same thing each time

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    ...where have you encountered this bird

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    ...where have you encountered this bird

In Chapter 13, it's a set thing, I'm pretty sure it's not something you can miss

• Options
    Huh
    I've been through 13 but I guess I just didn't catch it
    To be fair I could never hear "Hurley" in the bird's cry even on the show

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Just beat it.

That ending.
    I can't think of a more perfect ending for a game.

• Options
    Sigh
    My least favorite enemy type in video games has to be the heavy gunner
    Even on Easy these guys are anti-fun

• Options
    Oh my god this entire last section is filled with awful combat

• Options
    Turn on the lock-on and never look back, folks

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    One down, 3 to go!

First one was great.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    One down, 3 to go!

First one was great.

The jump in quality between 1 and 2 is almost immeasurable

• Options
    One down, 3 to go!

First one was great.

Yeahhhhhh

• Options
    One down, 3 to go!

First one was great.

The jump in quality between 1 and 2 is almost immeasurable

That's good! There were a few things that frustrated me in the first one but overall it was exactly what I wanted.

• Options
    Uncharted 1 love sustains me, keeps me alive

• Options
    Oh my god this ended so perfectly

• Options
    edited May 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZFtP8LbUYc
    A 90 minute look back at the tech of the Uncharted games from Giant Bomb, with a Naughty Dog programmer in tow

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Keith wrote: »
    I finished this and the ending is perfect and I'm sad it's over but at the same time I want it left where they ended it

My thoughts exactly. Just finished it like 15 minutes ago.

godmode on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I finished this and the ending is perfect and I'm sad it's over but at the same time I want it left where they ended it

Well, they say great minds think alike and should fuck

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Well, they say great minds think alike and should fuck

Oh, I hadn't heard that one before!

• Options
    I keep thinking I'm gonna go for the Platinum, and then I remember stuff like having to find all the treasures in those absolutely gigantic vehicle chapters and
    having to completely nail the swordfight at the end

and now I recognize I will never do it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I keep thinking I'm gonna go for the Platinum, and then I remember stuff like having to find all the treasures in those absolutely gigantic vehicle chapters and
    having to completely nail the swordfight at the end

and now I recognize I will never do it

PlayStationTrophies.org has a really good text and video guide for the treasures on their forum. Finding all the treasures on those chapters was not at all a big deal

As for your other concern, the game allows cheats and they don't disable Trophies, which means slow-motion mode

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    If you turn the difficulty in adventurer (or whatever the lowest is called) it'll show treasures that are near you

• Options
    If you turn the difficulty in adventurer (or whatever the lowest is called) it'll show treasures that are near you

I played explorer my first time and this wasn't the case?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    You can cheese your way through Crushing with cheats for the most part (Give yourself the best guns and infinite ammo, plus slowdown while aiming, and all the time-slowdown makes the fight at the end way easier.
    None of that will help you for the true BS of that difficulty, though.
    The exploding mummy room on Crushing breaks every rule of good game design, and any designer at Naughty Dog who tries to defend it is a lying liar who lies. And probably kicks puppies for fun.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I did Explorer on 3 and it turned off trophies
    Don't know if that's the same for 4

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    You can cheese your way through Crushing with cheats for the most part (Give yourself the best guns and infinite ammo, plus slowdown while aiming, and all the time-slowdown makes the fight at the end way easier.
    None of that will help you for the true BS of that difficulty, though.
    The exploding mummy room on Crushing breaks every rule of good game design, and any designer at Naughty Dog who tries to defend it is a lying liar who lies. And probably kicks puppies for fun.
    Agreed. I think I spent a good 30-40 minutes trying to get through that section.