As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movie] Thread... Not a Jaywalking Thread

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2015 in Social Entropy++
Seriously? I'm getting ready to see Goosebumps with the family! Where am I supposed to post about that, huh?

Raijin Quickfoot on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2015
    If someone links me to an existing movie thread I'm sure gonna feel foolish.

The fact that nobody is posting in here makes me think I missed something... Anxiety!

Whyyyyyy isn't anyone posting? Have you all colluded against me?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Yes

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Also let us know your thoughts!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    There just haven't been any movies I really want to see out now.

The only ones left this year that I want to see are hunger games and star wars.

e: oh spectre too I guess

Psykoma on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Movies?

I don't believe they exist.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Ip Man 3 is coming out in December as well.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Bridge of Spies came out today and I enjoyed it a lot! Kinda crazy that most of the posters/billboards out there aren't broadcasting the fact that it's a Spielberg film

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Evil Dead 2 October rewatch. Verdict? Still wonderful.

Hell, I'm halfway inclined to start it again, this time with the hilarious commentary.

Edit: wait did I say "halfway" I meant "doing it right now"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    CRIMSON PEAK IS GREAT

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Channing Tatum looks weird in Jupiter Ascending.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Goosebumps was like... The perfect family "horror" movie

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Crimson Peak was pretty danged good. And gooorgeusss.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I might rent Jurassic Park tonight.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »

You should own Jurassic Park

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

I don't have the money to buy an entire island right now.

• Options

I don't have the money to buy an entire island right now.

Quit spending it all on weekly fantasy games!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I just watched alien

That movie would have scared the shit out of me if I'd seen it in a theater and maybe a while ago so the effects wouldn't have been as noticable

But even with that and having picked up so much stuff about the movie from pop culture it was still super tense a lot of the time and just really well done

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    Last night I discovered that reports that Crimson Preak is NOT a horror movie are 100% accurate.

The beginning almost felt like Pride and Prejudice and Ghosts Are Here Too. And that's ok! I was able to enjoy it for what it was, but if I hadn't known what I was getting into I might have been disappointed.

• Options
    Seriously hearing Crimson Peak isn't just a horror movie makes me want to see it more.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Motion pictures? Just a fad I say.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    hearing it isn't just a horror story actually makes me want to see it less

i was hoping for some hammer level spooks not jane austen with spectres

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Just got back from Crimson Peak!

It's a hoot and a holler, probably the weirdest film I've seen in a while! The person playing Lucille (the sister of Hiddleston's character) is delightful. Easily my favorite part of the film.

Not a straight horror flick, that's for sure. I'm... not sure how I would classify it actually.

It's beautiful, because it's a Del Torro film, of course. The acting's all great. Probably wouldn't see it again, but worth checking out if the premise and trailer captured your attention.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Why even watch movies when you could illegally walk back and forth across various streets?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So, Crimson Peak was... weird.

I was strangely bored yet thoroughly entertained the entire way through. It was odd.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Why even watch movies when you could illegally walk back and forth across various streets?

Th-the youth pastor warned me about p-people like you!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    One crappy thing about living in Japan is the lack of choice + high cost of movie tickets. Like, John Wick is just now coming out here, and that's basically it for foreign releases till Star Wars. Which at least that is getting a same-day release here.

Although the Tokyo Film Festival is coming up and they're showing Ran, so that should be cool!

• Options
    Whoa! Wake up, turn on the TV and Cool Runnings is on!

This is going to be a good day!

• Options
    Wuthering Heights!

Crimson Peak is like a slightly spookier Wuthering Heights.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am waaaay less interested in seeing Crimson Peak now

I was down with a spooky Del Toro Ghost Horror flick

But I absolutely hate Victorian romance and Jane Austen in particular and am seeing a ton of comparisons

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    So I saw Pan because it was at 6:55 and every other movie started at like 9:30.

I should have waited until 9:30.

Like, I wouldn't call it offensive

"half-baked" is probably the best way to describe it. There's some potential and a halfway decent cast there, but the movie is super slow and plodding and confused and the final act is duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    For someone called "Black Beard" I find the main villain's beard to be severely lacking.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    For someone called "Black Beard" I find the main villain's beard to be severely lacking.

They basically distributed his beard to the rest of his costume.

I lay the blame pretty squarely on the writer/director team. The script is not great and the directing didn't help it much and some of the effects are pretty inexcusable for 2015.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am waaaay less interested in seeing Crimson Peak now

I was down with a spooky Del Toro Ghost Horror flick

But I absolutely hate Victorian romance and Jane Austen in particular and am seeing a ton of comparisons

You will hate the first 25 minutes of it, then... it does get more into a mystery/ spooky vibe later on though.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I just watched alien

That movie would have scared the shit out of me if I'd seen it in a theater and maybe a while ago so the effects wouldn't have been as noticable

But even with that and having picked up so much stuff about the movie from pop culture it was still super tense a lot of the time and just really well done

Can you imagine how awesomely tense it would be to watch it, not knowing there are sequels and therefore not knowing who is going to live or die?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Saw Sicario the other day. Can't remember if I mentioned that in the last thread. Oh well, I did. It was good! And depressing! And tense! And that score.

Saw a few trailers that intrigued me. Really hoping we can go and do a double-showing of Black Mass and Legend next month. Old school American gangster vs old school British gangsters :cool:

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Wuthering Heights!

Crimson Peak is like a slightly spookier Wuthering Heights.

Why you gotta tell me this? I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated that book.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I just watched alien

Can you imagine how awesomely tense it would be to watch it, not knowing there are sequels and therefore not knowing who is going to live or die?

Yeah I mean it has been around almost 40 years so a lot of the tension and mystery was undermined a little but it was still amazing

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think I'm missing a big chunk of Del Toro's filmography, because I can't think of any straight up horror movies he's done.

Obviously they must exist, I just haven't heard of them, which strikes me as odd since for some people he's a horror director first and foremost.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think I'm missing a big chunk of Del Toro's filmography, because I can't think of any straight up horror movies he's done.

Obviously they must exist, I just haven't heard of them, which strikes me as odd since for some people he's a horror director first and foremost.

Aside from just what he's directed, he's also been a writer or producer or creative consultant on a lot of other horror stuff
    He definitely has helped to put a lot of horror into the world
    I think his straight up horror films are Cronos or The Devil's Backbone or Mimic

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    He did Mama. Which is pretty spooky.

This discussion has been closed.