As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XM Radio for the home/office.

Hi,

I'm considering buying an xm radio and home kit.

This is the model i was looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-Satellite-Radio-SXPL1H1-Black/dp/B00I59XQ72/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1445607165&sr=8-5&keywords=XM

I have some questions of course...

I do not have a stereo system / speaker system at home currently, but I presume from the information page that all I need is a set of computer speakers?

Next, in general, is the signal you get to this device a better signal compared to am/fm? For instance if i were to bring this setup to work, in the same place that a cheap am/fm radio gets a barely functional signal will i likely have the same results from the xm or slightly better? Could i use my Cell phone as a better example of if i am getting enough signal to run it decently?

Anyone have anything really negative to say about this product/brand ?

Thanks for the input.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I've been a Sirius subscriber for nearly a decade now. In general, the antenna portion of those radios need a clear shot to the sky for a solid signal. So depending on your situation at work, it may or may not work. The good news is that the cable for the antenna is pretty long, so you could theoretically stick it to/near a window at work and run it to your desk.

Same goes for home. You need something with a view of the sky.

That all being said, the Sirius online streamer and mobile apps are fantastic.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    That all being said, the Sirius online streamer and mobile apps are fantastic.
    I'll second this. Generally, you only need to keep your Sirius radio in your car, as you can stream at home / at work.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So i got the Sirus XM Home and office kit.

I want to bring it into work, however I do not have an office by a window, and when i tried it out, i could not get a signal. I was thinking of running the antenna through the ceiling to the window.

First, amazon has what is advertised as a 22 foot extension cable for the antenna. Anyone use one of these? Any signal loss?

Next, if i run it along the ceiling can i just leave it up there near the window but pointed at the brick facing or do i have to then drop it down and point it out the clear glass.

Also, Is there such a thing as a better more powerful antenna i could use instead that isnt huge?

Thanks

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I *think* that the antenna is digital in nature for transmission, so the single is received and processed entirely in the small electronics contained within the black box at the end of the wire. the length of the wire is immaterial i think.