As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Duelyst] pretty much Hearthstone tactics

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Which faction does Kara Winterblade belong? Is she the alternate Lyonar?

winter = vanar

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    yeah,. the 2 lyonar ones are roar (+2 attack to a nearby minion and heal 3 from a nearby minion)

• Options
    One of the may cards previewed on Twitter

Rumor is patch 0.63 is Sunday (which seems weird). Really excited for launch. But I am afraid the hearthstone launch is going to eat duelyst's hype

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Are more cards getting class-types as well?

• Options
    You mean the warmadter tag on the new one? I think they are treating it similar to hearthstone where minion is the default unless there's a reason to specify.

Assuming that is the case, I guess in this example since skywing is the flying "Lord" (to borrow terminology from magic) I guess it gets something unique. Personally I'd like iy if everything got a type for flavor purposes. Especially since in a digital format they can always edit it later.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    ayyyy, Warden of Evos Isle.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    okay so some confirmed changes from reddit (linked because big)

3rd wish not being blast is certainly a step in the right direction
    I'm kinda sad to see saberspine go back to 3/2, the trade value was really nice at 4/1 but it's just too smorc (on the bright side it can kill a minijaxi and live again)
    primus fist now works how I thought it did at first and got pissed when they made the dark iron dwarf mistake again
    arrow whistler is gonna be dumb in sonhai, otherwise finally a decent ranged neutral minion? certainly better than fire spitter

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    some of those changes were mentioned previously (tusk boar and sunsteel) but the others as far as i know are new. i think i am ok with all of those changes, but it is difficult to parse in light of the bloodborn spell additions.

i don't know how to feel about arrow whistler. mech cannoneer and heart seeker are the only competitive ranged minions i have ever seen and the former is always there for the obvious attempt at mechazor, meaning if there were another mech he may not even be run (possibly anyway). i kinda want to see a viable ranged deck but it feels as though it would be a really frustrating fringe/tier 2 deck. either you know the ranged barrage is coming and are prepared and it is trivial to deal with it or you don't and you get mauled.

• Options
    I really like new widowmaker, it's a decent ranged minion that survives tempest and is fairly costed now. Drop a deathstrike seal on it and say "have removal or lose the game".

Fun fact: Alternate damage abilities, like white widow, will activate deathstrike seal!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Patch tomorrow!

I have to say I like that the patches come before the end of the month. Gives a few days for people to mess around without losing ranks, alternatively gives people a chance to rank up as people play jank.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    looking forward to spamming wraithling even harder with lilithe.

• Options
    Oh god, I just realized Faie's power hits the general. She's hunter ._.

also is it just me, or... do the magmar hero powers seem significantly weaker than the others? symmetrical card draw seems pretty bad from what I've seen

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Since the magmar +1 attack power is dispellable (allegedly) that does hurt it. However even a 3/4 attack hero is pretty important. Maybe makig the frenzy artifact relevant? That might be a stretch.

The card draw one will be interesting you get to make use of the draw first, and late game topdeck wars can easily be in magmar's favor (pay 2 to draw and just drop silithar elders every turn). That being said the other bloodborn spells seem to have much more obvious and readily powerful effects.

Actually want to build heal.Dec with zir'an sunforge hopefully to make use of the 4 drop that shoots everything around it for 2 when something is healed.

• Options
    oh wait vaath's power isn't just for this turn

okay nevermind that's pretty good

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Considering Magmar seems to (for whatever reason) be intended as the "Midrange Control" faction, the symmetrical card draw General should definitely be a strong choice.

• Options
    It will be interesting to see if "solo" magmar will be a thing. But I think running normal magmar and just making your hero a legit threat late game/removal spell will be the way things go. Since magmar typically runs earth sphere anyway it may not even be a huge deal. Now there is a definite decision to be made about dispelling silithars and other stuff vs banking it for the 6 attack hero

• Options
    It will be interesting to see if "solo" magmar will be a thing. But I think running normal magmar and just making your hero a legit threat late game/removal spell will be the way things go. Since magmar typically runs earth sphere anyway it may not even be a huge deal. Now there is a definite decision to be made about dispelling silithars and other stuff vs banking it for the 6 attack hero

or just do it all with lightbender :rotate:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    eh you only get so many light benders plus unless there really is a solo magmar deck that just tries to buff the hell out of vaath then they will probably end up getting used on other threats.

• Options
    well that's a big ol' nerf to daemonic lure

no more ignoring a silverguard or ironcliffe for 2-3 turns

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    i don't know if lyonar has the deck slots to include that guy. if they do i am not sure he will even be the first thing to grab. while it is annoying to have something demonic lured or repulsor beasted to a corner, i don't know if this guy is worth the slot. then again maybe provoke.dec is an actual thing. most provoke minions have a big backside, so maybe with the heal general and just run every decent provoke dude?

if you went lyonar you have (in no particular order):

silverguard knight
    ironcliffe guardian
    elyx stormblade
    dioltas
    rock pulverizer
    lady locke
    primus shieldmaster
    fireblazer
    whistling blade
    golem vanquisher
    bonereaper
    tethermancer
    wartalon
    hollow grovekeepr (sorta)

most of that list does not install a lot of confidence although obviously. i dunno if "just" the knight and guardian is enough to justify running it. i guess maybe in a golem shell, but then you are expecting to have a golem on board that needs to be moved right now, the golem that grants provoke, and this guy.

• Options
    patch notes up! there's a lot of very significant changes (tusk boar, scions 2nd and 3rd wish). all the may cards have been revealed (spoiler: all warmasters). i love tribal themes. all the bloodborn spells and new generals (but we saw those already). also a $9.99 starter bundle of 10 orbs.

also apparently there was a bug where your end of turn draw would not burn cards, which is now in effect again.

https://forums.duelyst.com/t/duelyst-patch-1-63-0/32446
    card changes
    Card Changes

NOTE: As always, you can disenchant any cards we change for FULL spirit value for approximately 1 week after the change.
    Songhai

Tusk Boar163 - Stats changed from 3/3 to 2/3
    Vetruvian

Scion's Second Wish126 - Spell Ability: Give a friendly minion +2/+2. It can’t be damaged by enemy Generals.
    Changed from "Draw 2 cards."
    Scion's Third Wish74 - Spell Ability: Give a friendly Dervish +3/+3 and Flying.
    Changed from "Give a friendly Dervish minion +3/+3 and Blast"
    Starfire Scarab108 - Stats changed from 4/7 to 4/6.

Abyssian

Abyssal Juggernaut281 - Stats changed from 3/6 to 4/5
    Reaper Of The Nine Moons187 - Stats changed from 5/4 to 5/3.
    Magmar

Diretide Frenzy168 - Cost changed from 1 to 2.
    Vanar

Mesmerize159 - Spell Ability: Push an enemy minion or General one space.
    Changed from "Next turn, your opponent's minions cost 1 more to summon."
    Neutral

Dreamgazer236 - Cost changed from 2 to 1
    Stats changed from 2/2 to 1/1
    Manaforger110 - Ability: "The first non-Bloodborn spell you cast each turn costs 1 less." (Does not include Bloodborn spells)
    Saberspine Tiger85 - Stats changed from 4/1 to 3/2
    Songweaver173 - Stats changed 2/2 to 3/3.
    Ability: Opening Gambit: Give a nearby friendly minion +1/+1. (No longer gives flying)
    Primus Fist66 - Ability: "Give a nearby friendly minion +2 attack this turn." (Now only lasts the current turn)
    Sunsteel Defender239 - Cost changed from 5 to 4.
    Stats changed 5/1 to 4/3.
    Ability: Forcefield (No longer includes celerity)
    Captain Hank Hart287 - Cost changed from 5 to 4.
    Dioltas255 - Stats changed 5/2 to 5/3.
    Archon Spellbinder184 - Stats changed from 7/9 to 7/7.
    Ability: "Opponents' non-Bloodborn spells cost 1 more to cast." (Does not include Bloodborn spells)

• Options
    also apparently there was a bug where your end of turn draw would not burn cards, which is now in effect again.

oh, that was a bug? dang, I liked that feature

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    yeah i had assumed it was an intentional change originally but i guess it is inconsistent with the rest of the game.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Just found out about this game a couple of days ago, and finally downloaded it last night. Played through all the factions in practice, and hopped into ladder as Lyonar. Ended up beating my opponent (also Lyonar) which honestly surprised me. They were probably new as well, but I usually take quite a while to get into the swing of these kinds of games. Having a lot of fun with it though. Haven't gotten a concrete idea of what faction I'll focus on. For now I'm just going to do the solo challenges and maybe dip a little bit into ladder until I get everything leveled a bit more, and flesh out my collection.

Hopefully this continues to pick up players because it's very well designed. I can't speak to specific card or faction balance since I just started, but what they have here for gameplay layers work exceptionally well together. It's pretty much Hearthstone meets Heroes of Might & Magic. Which is a description that probably doesn't do it the justice it deserves.

• Options
    There are a lot of ways to earn cards and gold @Reddaye . however the hidden quests have changed over time and some aren't available any longer as they replaced them with others. There are also some crafting guides out there to help as well.

In goofing around post patch one thing is obvious: servers are still getting hammered. However it is improving over time as you'd expect.

A lot of people feel creep abyssian is really strong. I agreed until I played a few games, about 50/50 right now with a non optimized list but I am getting shredded by the abundance of songhai and artifact vetruvian. I presume unless you are playing lyonar you can't go late game against abyssian anymore. Nova will chunk you down and make things real awkward.

Can't get anything magmar to function properly. Maybe the aggro lists still work but the nerf to diretide frenzy and saberspine tiger hurt. Saw some mech magmar with the new general for the card draw.

Tried a couple of games with lyonar heals and sunstrider proved to be awful. A 3/4 for 4 is bad and often you have better plays to make than combo it with a heal. If it had the widow maker effect and could hit from distance then maybe. I think just playing provoke.Dec may be the way to go with the new general and slowly box your opponent in.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    the abyssian ping power makes rebirth minions a liability...i know its only one general out of 12? but its SO BAD in that matchup that i can see not playing anything but the young silithars anymore

• Options
    edited April 2016
    i think that power will ultimately become "if you kill the targeted minion this turn< create shadow creep" and lose the ping.

one annoying UI thing is that it seems you cant remove a general after you add it to a deck. so you can't swap between without recreating evreything

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Whats the best use for gold? I've bought a few packs, but I'm thinking entering the Gauntlet may be better from a reward perspective?

• Options
    Reddaye wrote: »
    Whats the best use for gold? I've bought a few packs, but I'm thinking entering the Gauntlet may be better from a reward perspective?

In both Duelyst and Hearthstone you really can't go wrong just buying packs, but if you're confident about your abilities and feel like you can get to 7+ wins in the Gauntlet (or just really like the drafting experience) then go for the Gauntlet ticket.

• Options
    Frankly I'm surprised I won the only ladder match that I've played already. So no, not much confidence LOL.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I really like the new Vanar hero, although the hero power bloodborne spell is probably too slow to work at higher ranks.

• Options
    i remember duelyst having a lower required win amount to break even in gauntlet (as compared to HS arena) but i don't remember what it is. early on i think packs are the way to go since just about everything will be new? but i am not sure.

kinda want to build arcanysts since the bloodborn spells apparently trigger all the abilities.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I'm definitely getting worse every patch....magmar hero power is pretty broken in gauntlet, lyonar hero power is pretty bad

• Options
    This game has it's hooks sunk into me, I think. I've been tweaking a lowish budget Vetruvian aggro-esque deck which is frankly not great. Especially without more Stars Fall and other key cards that would be beneficial. As such my current daily win rate on bronze ladder is probably something like 3-3 or 3-4. I've moved up a few ranks, unlocked a season reward pack, etc...but it's slow going. I'm certainly enjoying myself though, and learning a lot. There's still a lot I need to learn though because I regularly make pretty silly misplays, and can count at least one or two of my losses directly to just missing some plays that would have tipped the scales in my favour a bit better.

• Options
    You may have chosen correctly @reddaye as vet is as silly as ever. Second wish in its new incarnation is as dumb as any of the other wishes ever. Remember that as ou move up ranks there are thresholds, basically once you hit 10,5, or 0 you can't derank below that.

Unrelated, supposedly only the original generals are available in gauntlet. Can't confirm as I tend to just sink all my gold into packs. Still waffling about getting another bundle mostly for the spirit to just crft the stuff I want. Every time I get close I go on a very frustrating losing streak and it pushes me back a few days on wanting to spend money.

There's a trailer for release floating around, and the beta forums are no more ( gone for a few days, may be replaced by the live ones by now).

• Options
    I always found silvertongue corsair very strong if you could get it in range of the enemy general while surviving, and if you buff it it's gg

turning any minion into that while also tying a buff into it is dumb, yes

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    not an original build since i am sure everyone had similar ideas when vaath's BBS was revealed but i am enjoying this "solo" magmar deck:
    vaath

2 dampening wave
    3 ephemeral shroud
    2 iridium scale
    3 natural selection
    3 blaze hound
    3 kinetic equilibirum
    3 adamantite claws
    3 earth sphere
    3 egg morph
    3 silhouette tracer
    3 plasma storm
    3 spirit harvester
    3 makantor beast
    2 metamorphosis

probably would run bounded lifeforce if i hadn't crunched them previously for spirit. the curve is a little high, and i don't like the blaze hounds. not quite sure about dampening wave but i wanted to give them a shot, however they may get cut for an actual heal.

• Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    What are you playing @jaunty ? Vet is tier 1 at the moment however vanar has been floundering a bit as of late.

I've been running mag forever.

Since the patch dropped I've been having a great time running artifact mag which is completely new to me

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    how heavy into artifacts? the list i posted may be of interest to you depending on how far you lean into the artifact aspect