Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Yo mama so [chat], her [brainstorm] ain't even in the same canon!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong; if you want to get better, you'll need to do some focused work on improving rather than simply producing content. But if you hate every minute of it from the get-go, you might as well do something else with your life.

It's also good to find your strengths and weaknesses. Knowing you like descriptions more than dialog, say, helps find what you should be writing.

Lone survivor in the arctic? Yes. Perfect.

Wodehousian comedy of errors? Might be best to leave that to someone else.

Unless, of course, you wanted to write a social situation as the equivalent of an isolated arctic landscape due to the protagonist's social awkwardness, reducing conversations to elemental ideas instead of focusing on the actual words...

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I had a strange realization the other day about my writing, while coming up with marketing articles/blog posts for my portfolio.

Essentially all my ideas spring from anger or displeasure. With fiction, it's things I hate in real life or stories and have to write an alternative to. For business writing, I thrive when I'm complaining about how terrible everyone else is.

I mean, I put plenty of ideas in my stories based solely on how cool or fun or majestic they'll be. But they're always wrapped around an anger-inspired core.

It's sort of disconcerting, but I guess I should just be satisfied with the fact I never run dry of ideas.

Need a writer for B2B blog content or other copy? Hire me here.
  • Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Wank wrote: »
    Just sold another novelette to Clarkesworld. Two months rent. =D

Congrats Wank!

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I had a strange realization the other day about my writing, while coming up with marketing articles/blog posts for my portfolio.

Essentially all my ideas spring from anger or displeasure. With fiction, it's things I hate in real life or stories and have to write an alternative to. For business writing, I thrive when I'm complaining about how terrible everyone else is.

I mean, I put plenty of ideas in my stories based solely on how cool or fun or majestic they'll be. But they're always wrapped around an anger-inspired core.

It's sort of disconcerting, but I guess I should just be satisfied with the fact I never run dry of ideas.

I wrote one of my favorite stories when I looked up at the stars and got really sad about how big and lonely the universe is.

• DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    I think it's natural that writing springs well from passion, too, and frustrations and anger certainly qualify.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I need some suggestions on an aspect of my novel's main character. He's basically an idealistic but frustrated student dividing time between a master's degree and an internship. The question is, a master's degree in what? I kind of left that blank in my earlier revisions, but I feel I need to emphasize the character's positive traits a little more, including details about his life. I've been leaning political science, since he has some political ambitions, but is that the right fit?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    I need some suggestions on an aspect of my novel's main character. He's basically an idealistic but frustrated student dividing time between a master's degree and an internship. The question is, a master's degree in what? I kind of left that blank in my earlier revisions, but I feel I need to emphasize the character's positive traits a little more, including details about his life. I've been leaning political science, since he has some political ambitions, but is that the right fit?

Well, what's he interning in? What's he want to do with his life? He's devoting a healthy portion of it to the degree, in both time and money, so it should be something he's passionate about, or something he's expected to be passionate about, even if he's realized that he's not actually interested.

It'd help to have more details, is what I'm getting at.

tapeslinger
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    So, remember that genre writing challenge we talked about last year? I'm willing to get it started if no one minds me taking it over. My figuring is offering a book of the same same genre we write short stories in as a prize.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Well, what's he interning in? What's he want to do with his life? He's devoting a healthy portion of it to the degree, in both time and money, so it should be something he's passionate about, or something he's expected to be passionate about, even if he's realized that he's not actually interested.

Huh, you know, that wasn't an easy question to answer. Which is part of the problem, I suppose. Or all of it. I did a lot of work getting the character's voice down (the Gettysburg test, character interview, etc.) I even tried a character introduction write-up like the ones in Homestuck. But I left his interests more vague, partially because I throw him out of his comfort zone very early in the book.

Internship-wise, my first choice would be a politician's campaign. Something idealistic but doomed. Not even Bernie Sanders, more like Kucinich level of doomed. A lot of the character's personality is a strong desire to make the world a better place, but a sense of despair that a single person has any chance of doing it. He probably followed the steps as he was supposed to: college, grad degree, internship, etc. on the understanding that it's the right way to get into a position to make a difference, and now that he's near his end game, he's starting to get disillusioned with this plan. Largely, of course, this is a good way to show his character once the plot kicks in and he gets a taste of some actual power.

Does that help? Anything specific you think I need to add?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I'm back and going to make a concerted effort to post here at least every other day or so. Also, that genre thing sounds great Magell.

• ShenShen Together through the ages of the world we have fought the long defeatRegistered User regular

Huh, you know, that wasn't an easy question to answer. Which is part of the problem, I suppose. Or all of it. I did a lot of work getting the character's voice down (the Gettysburg test, character interview, etc.) I even tried a character introduction write-up like the ones in Homestuck. But I left his interests more vague, partially because I throw him out of his comfort zone very early in the book.

Internship-wise, my first choice would be a politician's campaign. Something idealistic but doomed. Not even Bernie Sanders, more like Kucinich level of doomed. A lot of the character's personality is a strong desire to make the world a better place, but a sense of despair that a single person has any chance of doing it. He probably followed the steps as he was supposed to: college, grad degree, internship, etc. on the understanding that it's the right way to get into a position to make a difference, and now that he's near his end game, he's starting to get disillusioned with this plan. Largely, of course, this is a good way to show his character once the plot kicks in and he gets a taste of some actual power.

The social sciences definitely seem like a good fit. Less so economics as at higher levels it's more econometrics and statistics (though there's still plenty there for an idealist), but sociology, anthropology and politics all dovetail quite nicely. History is good too, as a broader fit that you can focus down as you get a better handle on him.

What kind of difference is he looking to make, what issues does he want addressed? Income inequality? Healthcare? Education? Infrastructure? Discrimination? It might help to work backwards from that end goal for him, as that's what he would have done himself.

Hi folks, mostly new here. After a chat with my sister last week I've started taking an hour after work to hit up a coffee shop and do a spot of writing, because I can't seem to manage that at home with all the distractions. It's been great so far and I hope it sticks, but I had a question - how do you all go about transferring your writing from notebook to screen? Is it an ongoing job to approach every weekend or will I be better served leaving it til I finish or get blocked? I tend to over-edit so I'll definitely wait til I'm well past the beginning I keep getting hung up on, but it'd be helpful to hear how y'all approach this.

ladi.png
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398
    Shen wrote: »

The social sciences definitely seem like a good fit. Less so economics as at higher levels it's more econometrics and statistics (though there's still plenty there for an idealist), but sociology, anthropology and politics all dovetail quite nicely. History is good too, as a broader fit that you can focus down as you get a better handle on him.

What kind of difference is he looking to make, what issues does he want addressed? Income inequality? Healthcare? Education? Infrastructure? Discrimination? It might help to work backwards from that end goal for him, as that's what he would have done himself.

Hi folks, mostly new here. After a chat with my sister last week I've started taking an hour after work to hit up a coffee shop and do a spot of writing, because I can't seem to manage that at home with all the distractions. It's been great so far and I hope it sticks, but I had a question - how do you all go about transferring your writing from notebook to screen? Is it an ongoing job to approach every weekend or will I be better served leaving it til I finish or get blocked? I tend to over-edit so I'll definitely wait til I'm well past the beginning I keep getting hung up on, but it'd be helpful to hear how y'all approach this.

I suspect the overwhelming majority type from the start. I wouldn't be surprised if you have more people struggling along with mobile devices than you do people writing in literal notebooks, these days.

I did do some notebook writing for a novel draft. My general feeling about it is to leave it be, and wait until the first draft is entirely complete before retyping. Going back and typing over from scratch is too close to editing as you go, and I think it can rob the project of a little momentum. So I'd get to the end of the draft, and then go ahead with it. That's just my feeling, though.

While technology has definitely superceded notebooks on the whole, sometimes, I think it can be an interesting option to write by hand if something's not working out for you on the keyboard. You do get different results that way--the brain seems to connect differently to writing with a pen than just typing out on a keyboard.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    So, remember that genre writing challenge we talked about last year? I'm willing to get it started if no one minds me taking it over. My figuring is offering a book of the same same genre we write short stories in as a prize.

Sure, go for it.

Quoth wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »

Sure, go for it.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/205630/the-genre-challenge-arena

I did it. Everybody make with the writing, or suggestions to fix the rules.

AmaliaRonin356KCWise
  • gavindelgavindel You were sent from my sight When your heart grew darker than your nightRegistered User regular
    I'm putting out the second in my little series today and looking at some data on my first one. Looks like I have a preview download to sale ratio of about 40:1. Anyone else who e-published, how does that stack up? The internet can be such a slippery place that I have no idea if I should interpret that as the usual "many previews downloaded by people who read 2 words" or as some issue with my first book's pitch.

Looking for magical girls? Try: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks
    Maybe more interested in morally dubious shapeshifters and stealing from gods? Try:
    Signature.jpg

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Welp, I got into Viable Paradise! Big thanks to all the peeps who helped me with my novel, especially the opening chapters, which were what I had to submit.

tapeslingerMagellAmaliabigrickcookRonin356chiasaur11WankKCWiserRootageaArythwehn
    edited June 2016
    I may have found a writing process that works consistently. It helpfully deals with one of my major recurring issues as a writer: White Room Syndrome. :rotate:

MKR on
    Quoth
    MKR wrote: »
    I may have found a writing process that works consistently. It helpfully deals with one of my major recurring issues as a writer: White Room Syndrome. :rotate:

No, don't call it that! Call it 'a minimalist style'.

If it's White Room Syndrome, that means I have to fix it too.

There was lackluster participation in the first month, but I'm putting that down to my horrible choice of genre.

This month it is Science Fiction and you can check out the minimal details Here

KCWise
    I'm exhausted, now, after a week of seemingly everything, but finally got back to writing again yesterday. Also, after trying to reinvent a story I'm writing as an urban fantasy, I found that:

A) there were a lot of interesting angles I'd not explored that would make the story better, and
    B) I still didn't want to write it as urban fantasy, so to hell with that, I'm just going to steal everything from point A and go straight back to fantasy.

So that's all good.

Amalia
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Why's everyone gone so quiet in here? 3 posts in all of July? Is everyone on mid-year holidays? I miss you peeps.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    Anyone else enter the Geek and Sundry/Inkshares thing?

Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    Why's everyone gone so quiet in here? 3 posts in all of July? Is everyone on mid-year holidays? I miss you peeps.

I can speak for no one else, but I've been doing all the editing for two books pretty much simultaneously. BUT I AM ALMOST FREE!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    yeah, I'm more or less permanently working on the book until I find a job, so I don't have a ton to say over here.

Yeah, four books simultaneously over here. I don't get on forums much, if ever. But I do still have a fondness for the WB.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, at least we are getting genre appropriate spam now.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    A friend of mine is in the Inkshares thing, with the book "Leaf Falling". I considered it, but decided against it for the time being, mainly because of my two novels I have that I'm working on, I don't have a concrete opening for either -- and posting one opening that may not in any way represent the real opening felt too much like a bait-and-switch thing for me to be comfortable.

Aside from that, I'm currently working on two novels, one of those most of all (the one I shifted back from urban to regular fantasy), and polishing another short story for submission.

• gavindelgavindel You were sent from my sight When your heart grew darker than your nightRegistered User regular
    I was in a brick and mortar bookstore for the first time in a few years yesterday. Amazing to see the way the selection fluctuates with the fads. Scifi/fantasy had been shoved entirely to the back and sequestered to two rows. Teen fiction has exploded into six aisles with a bunch of promos. Modern occult as a genre seems to have been eaten by teen fiction; the same stories, but now with boyfriends! As the fads rise and fall...

Book size and font are both too large. *shakes cane* They added two inches to the size of the book, doubled the font, and charge fifteen dollars for what amounts to two hours of reading.

Looking for magical girls? Try: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks
    Maybe more interested in morally dubious shapeshifters and stealing from gods? Try:
    Signature.jpg

Most of what I write is gay furry science fiction and fantasy, and while I'm sure everyone here is 100% accepting, I'm pretty sure even the non-erotica stuff is beyond the interests of most people here. :P

I still check in. I just don't post much.

gavindel wrote: »
    I was in a brick and mortar bookstore for the first time in a few years yesterday. Amazing to see the way the selection fluctuates with the fads. Scifi/fantasy had been shoved entirely to the back and sequestered to two rows. Teen fiction has exploded into six aisles with a bunch of promos. Modern occult as a genre seems to have been eaten by teen fiction; the same stories, but now with boyfriends! As the fads rise and fall...

Book size and font are both too large. *shakes cane* They added two inches to the size of the book, doubled the font, and charge fifteen dollars for what amounts to two hours of reading.

Trade Paperbacks are actually higher quality across the board -- mass market paperback market share has pretty much been cannibalized by ebooks, so that's why you're seeing more trade paperbacks on shelves. (MM paperbacks are literally meant to be disposable books, read once and then they start to disintegrate, vs trade paperbacks which hold up much better.)

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

• IronRoosterIronRooster Registered User new member
    gavindel wrote: »

Y'know, I was just about ready to shake my own cane on the whole 'teen fiction' thing, but it is nice to see my little sister reading, even if it is limited to the literary endeavours of Zoella and such.

Sci-fi and fantasy were always shoved in the back when I was buying in my teens. I used to like that, actually -- I enjoyed being able to go to the very back of the shop and browse in peace and quiet. It was rare to see another shopper browsing the shelves, so for a little while, you got to look at everything and take time, pondering the next book that you'd buy.

(My taste was appalling at the time, and I bought some pretty bad books as well as some genuinely awesome ones. And I liked all of them, even the ones I can't read now without cringing.)

There were more than two rows of them, though, thanks in no small part to the vast number of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books tucked in amongst the crowd.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    It has always annoyed me that sci-fi and fantasy are often just smashed together as one genre. It makes looking for the diamond in the rough even harder when you have to sift through the genre you dont even want in order to find one.

3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    Magell
    It never concerned me, but the house I grew up in was full of fantasy and sci-fi books mashed together on shelves -- when I was a kid, I always just sort of assumed that if you read one, then you read the other, too. Then again, my Mum read just about everything -- I didn't really realise how unusual that was until I got quite a lot older.

edited August 2016
    Here's a question for you lovely folks.

My friend has his book up in the Inkshares Geek & Sundry contest, and after finding out he would be in the top 10 (and therefore got an interview bit posted with Inkshares), he quickly hustled to get his friend's version of his book-cover up. It's actually partially complete at the moment, though I'd imagine the finished version should be up sooner than later -- and regardless of its state, an actual cover of some kind can only be a vast improvement over the random mountain photograph he'd put up there previously.

However, that's just the reason for the question, which is -- what makes a genuinely good book cover for you? And equally well, what could someone put on the cover of a book that'd turn you away from even giving a book a second glance?

(And for those who have their own books out with shiny covers and all, have you found any particular things that add to or subtract from how your book performs?)

DoctorJest on
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    DoctorJest wrote: »
    However, that's just the reason for the question, which is -- what makes a genuinely good book cover for you? And equally well, what could someone put on the cover of a book that'd turn you away from even giving a book a second glance?

Bad font choice and clashing colors between font and background are the first and last line of book covers. If you can nail the "graphic design" aspect of it, then you're way ahead of the curve of most everyone else who's gonna be in a contest like this. Other than that, if it's a genre book, an illustration or photoshopped photo go a long way depending on the genre, so long as it looks even remotely professional. Graphic covers are better for literature, but again the design's gotta be legit.

@ruzkin and @Amalia can probably weigh in on this better than I can.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    DoctorJest
    I mean, I don't know that I am the best at covers to be honest. What I like is not necessarily representative of what other people like or what the masses are looking for. But I feel like having an uncluttered focused concept is important. Trying to cram too many things in ends up losing the core of what the book is -- like my Daughter of a Thousand Years concept, we looked at other designs that had like glacial ice or icebergs on the bottom half and then a woman on the top half, but I think the cover we ended up with gets more to the point with the Thor hammer as the focus and centerpiece. And with TAMER OF HORSES I had two phenomenal pieces of art but ultimately it felt like the titlework was a distraction from the second concept instead of a complement -- so I went with the cleaner Hippodamia staring down from the back of the horse because it GRABS the reader and engages directly, instead of presenting a quiet moment that looked beautiful, but didn't have that same engaging pull, and didn't work quite as well with titlework generally.

TL;DR there are so many factors to balance!

DoctorJest
    Cheers, guys! My friend's cover is mostly done now -- I don't think he'll deviate from it at all, he loves what his friend has done with it -- but I was keen to augment my own thinking, and get a feel for how other people see it. I know what I prefer for myself, but I'm fairly certain at the same time that I can't consider myself to be an effective representative of Everyone Else, and I have no direct experience of it.

I look forward to having that particular pain in the bum to deal with eventually.

Good book covers convey genre and theme with coherent colours and legible text. GREAT covers... that's something I don't understand, yet.

g4OlSIF.jpg