As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Onechanbara Z2: Chaos

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Onechanbara Z2: Chaos

Gabe and Tycho play a game for 15 minutes and then judge it accordingly. This week they play Onechanbara Z2: Chaos. You can watch the full length version of this episode here.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    underwear cleavage never took on

• MoganMogan Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    "It's really bad and dumb."

Pretty much.

Mogan on
  • calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    Out of curiosity I looked it up and this game has four out of five stars on Amazon.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Haven't played it myself, but the only people who would buy it on Amazon would be people who knew what kind of game they were getting. Especially since the link is to a Japanese import.

It isn't really that different than the zombie wars thing last week, only instead of a generic soldier with a western shooter aesthetic killing zombies, it has swords and a more anime aesthetic.

• geniekidgeniekid Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The review ends with "there isn't going to be a sequel," but the "Z2" made me think this was already a sequel. After skimming the wiki it appears this is definitely not the first game in the series.

geniekid on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's been dumb for more than a decade. And not even Japan-exclusive. It's by design.

• IppikinekoIppikineko Registered User new member
    Yeah, just gotta chime in on a few things for this one. First it is a sequel, specifically to the one released on like the Xbox360, but apparently the series started back on like...ps2 or something. Its basically always been ridiculous "fan-service outfits", bad graphics, and usually questionable game-play quality though.

Not that I've played them, but having looked into it and having read the review for the one other iteration we even got in the USA...that seems to be the overall case.

Its supposed to basically be the same sort of market as Lollipop Chainsaw or something, except I've heard that one actually both played well and leveraged the Campy Horror Movie angle a lot better?

As far as the name goes....Onechanbara is just a joke where they combine the Japanese word for "older sister" with the Japanese onomatopoeia for "sword fighting". It also is their term for samurai action films, slash 'em ups compared to shoot 'em ups. So its something like Older Sister Samurai Action. Which makes as much sense as any of the rest of the plot apparently.

Good to know the series still isn't worth more than 15 minutes of playtime.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Ippikineko wrote: »
    the Japanese onomatopoeia for "sword fighting". It also is their term for samurai action films, slash 'em ups compared to shoot 'em ups. So its something like Older Sister Samurai Action. Which makes as much sense as any of the rest of the plot apparently.

Good to know the series still isn't worth more than 15 minutes of playtime.

I don't know if you're using the wrong word, or if I'm just not pronouncing the title right.

The "onomatopoeia" for a sword fight would be, like.. "Ting! Ting! Whack!" and I can't extract any equivalent sound effects from "Onechanbara"

What part of that title does this refer to?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    "chanbara" (or sometimes spelled with an M as "chambara") is the Japanese word that refers to sword-fighting, or really more specifically to Samurai movies with lots of sword-fighting in them as a genre as I understood it.

Ah! So onomatopoeia in the sense of how the word is pronounced, not a sound effect from a batman brawl. Got it.

• WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Ah! So onomatopoeia in the sense of how the word is pronounced, not a sound effect from a batman brawl. Got it.

So not an onomatopoeia at all, but just a pun.

Re: Mike's question "Who even plays a game like this?"

Oh, I think you know.... m'lady. *tip*

WordLust on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I have a feeling there are acres of background lore dedicated to justifying the precise need for those characters to be wearing those "clothes."

Probably even more are dedicated to the absolute necessity of maximizing the up-skirt camera angles (even on characters not wearing skirts...)

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I have a feeling there are acres of background lore dedicated to justifying the precise need for those characters to be wearing those "clothes."

Probably even more are dedicated to the absolute necessity of maximizing the up-skirt camera angles (even on characters not wearing skirts...)

There is a live-action film. It is shockingly dull and lifeless given the subject matter.

YoungFrey wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

There is a live-action film. It is shockingly dull and lifeless given the subject matter.

Well, if a person has sexual fantasies about anime women in cowgirl hats and poopcatcher non-underwear, their portraying women as dull and lifeless is perhaps not all that surprising.

• angryroosterangryrooster Registered User regular
    The literary device you're referring to is not onomatopoeia (which is words that are pronounced like the sound they make) , but portmanteau (two words combined to form a new word which describes the combination of the two concepts).

edited October 2015
    The literary device you're referring to is not onomatopoeia (which is words that are pronounced like the sound they make) , but portmanteau (two words combined to form a new word which describes the combination of the two concepts).

I don't think that was in question. The confusion was around the "chanbara" half of the portmanteau and whether or not it was an onomatopoeia. It doesn't appear to be. #internetnerddebates

WordLust on
  • ZentdiamZentdiam Registered User new member
    The word you are looking for is portmanteau. A combination of two words like smoke and fog to equal smog.

Zentdiam wrote: »
    The word you are looking for is portmanteau. A combination of two words like smoke and fog to equal smog.

It is both. Oneechanbara is a portmanteau of an ordinary word (onee-big sister) and an onomatopoeia (chanbara-the sound of swordfighting).

• DinoFightDinoFight Registered User regular
    Zentdiam wrote: »

It is both. Oneechanbara is a portmanteau of an ordinary word (onee-big sister) and an onomatopoeia (chanbara-the sound of swordfighting).

I think Oneechanbara is a portmanteau of onee (big sister) and chambara (swordfighting), meaning big-sister-sword-fighting.

www.kendallshammer.com/posts-2

No, onomatopoeia as in the sounds of swordfighting. "Chan" and "bara".

"Chan" and "bara" are the japanese sounds of swordfighting. You're all making it ridiculously complicated.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And it's Onee-chan and chanbara that got combined into one word.

sig.gif
    edited November 2015
    So in roughly English terms, the name of the game is something like "Big Sister Cling Clang" or "Bigsisterclingclang".

WordLust on
    WordLust wrote: »
    So in roughly English terms, the name of the game is something like "Big Sister Cling Clang" or "Bigsisterclingclang".

Or, a little less literally, "Big Sister Samurai Drama".

edited November 2015
    I feel like this is being described both ways.

Please check all that apply:

[ ] "Chanbara" Is the phonetic English spelling of a japanese word for sword fighting movies.

[ ] "Chanbara! Chanbara! Our pretend swords are crashing together with great force and sound like: CHANBARA!" is what kids yell when they are pretend sword fighting with sticks and cardboard tubes.

I Googled the definition, but the cultural application of this as a sound effect, as is implied by the term 'onomatopoeia,' eludes and fascinates me.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited November 2015
    I feel like this is being described both ways.

Please check all that apply:

[ ] "Chanbara" Is the phonetic English spelling of a japanese word for sword fighting movies.

[ ] "Chanbara! Chanbara! Our pretend swords are crashing together with great force and sound like: CHANBARA!" is what kids yell when they are pretend sword fighting with sticks and cardboard tubes.

I Googled the definition, but the cultural application of this as a sound effect, as is implied by the term 'onomatopoeia,' eludes and fascinates me.

I found a blog that makes the same claim: http://blog.gaijinpot.com/the-cult-of-chanbara/
    and this site: http://www.japan-expo-paris.com/en/animations/kendo-iaido-chanbara-naginata-jodo_1426.htm

It sounds like it would be the equivalent of calling a western (i.e. cowboy) film a "Bangpow", because of all the shooting.

In other words, it sounds like it is both an onomatopoeia (what kids yell when sword fighting) AND the actual (slang) term (what people call samurai movies). It sounds like a pretty dumb and nonsensical onomatopoeia, sure, but Japanese people also think dogs say "wan wan".

Noting also that apparently kids sword fighting don't yell "chanbara! chanbara!". Instead, when the swords hit together, the sound they make is either "chan!" or "bara!" The word "chanbara" puts them both together, hence like "bangpow".

*edit*

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think it is ANY kind of portmanteau at all. I think it's more like just plain compounding. If this is a portmanteau, then so are 90% of all German words.

COMPOUND: Sticks two whole words together.

PORTMANTEAU: Takes only pieces of words and sticks them together.

"Keyboard" = not a portmanteau

"Keytar" = portmanteau

WordLust on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    French think dogs say "ouah ouah"; I think it only sounds dumb because one didn't grow up with it. Though, I grew up in Canada and I still don't know how English speakers got "bow wow".

French think dogs say "ouah ouah"; I think it only sounds dumb because one didn't grow up with it. Though, I grew up in Canada and I still don't know how English speakers got "bow wow".

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. All onomatopoeias are actually dumb. ESPECIALLY animal sounds. It's just if you speak the language, you've heard them so much you don't realize how dumb they are.

Your username and etymological diligence is very on-theme!

Thank you.

I love foreign onomatopoeia because the spelling often varies wildly while still pronouncing a similar sound in someone's mind. "Woof" is a great example becasue it works in English but dogs don't really hit that "f" very hard, so I can see where "ouah" pronounced more "wah" than "ooo-AH" seems very close.

"Chan" and "bara" seem to come from the other sort of distinction where a different element of the sound was emphasised in the spelling, then standardized. If you watch 1000 sword fights, I would readily accept that those sounds are present, but our cultures just seized upon different aspects of the noises to use as their iconic representations.

In short: I am a dork.

edited November 2015

And that's no coincidence! *loves language/etymology/lexicography/linguistics/etc*
    I love foreign onomatopoeia because the spelling often varies wildly while still pronouncing a similar sound in someone's mind. "Woof" is a great example becasue it works in English but dogs don't really hit that "f" very hard, so I can see where "ouah" pronounced more "wah" than "ooo-AH" seems very close.

"Chan" and "bara" seem to come from the other sort of distinction where a different element of the sound was emphasised in the spelling, then standardized. If you watch 1000 sword fights, I would readily accept that those sounds are present, but our cultures just seized upon different aspects of the noises to use as their iconic representations.

Some of them are pretty similar, but others can be baffling. Like the japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a pig makes is "buu".

Buu? Like boo? Like a ghost?

Huh.

But "oink" is pretty damn silly, too.

WordLust on

And that's no coincidence! *loves language/etymology/lexicography/linguistics/etc*

Some of them are pretty similar, but others can be baffling. Like the japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a pig makes is "buu".

Huh.

Yeah, a Japanese "buu" is said like "boo" in English.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

Huh.

1389441-untitledlkiuj_fat_buu_happy.jpg

Djiem wrote: »

Huh.

1389441-untitledlkiuj_fat_buu_happy.jpg

Now there's a real oinker.

Pigs are especially known for two sounds. A grunt, and a squeal. "Oink" seems like a grunt, and "buu" seems like a squeal.

PLA wrote: »
    Pigs are especially known for two sounds. A grunt, and a squeal. "Oink" seems like a grunt, and "buu" seems like a squeal.

That's funny, because I figured "buu" was for the grunt and "oink" was more for the squeal. This is why animal onomatopoeias always seem dumb.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I still feel that our french COIN is more accurate for a duck sound than your QUACK.
    At least neither of them is super off the mark.

Djiem on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's worth pointing out that wouldn't be "coyn" but "kwah"

Djiem wrote: »
    I still feel that our french COIN is more accurate for a duck sound than your QUACK.
    At least neither of them is super off the mark.

What kind of duck, there are a bunch. They don't all sound the same.

The duck goes, "shibboleth".

PLA wrote: »
    The duck goes, "shibboleth".

The only word that doesn't echo.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    but

what

does

the

fox

say...?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!