As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ark: Survival Evolved] Current PA Server Closing 6/6, Long Live the New Server

KarozKaroz Registered User regular
edited April 2016 in Games and Technology
T1aL277.jpg

What is ARK: Survival Evolved?
As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing and starving on the shores of a mysterious island called ARK, use your skill and cunning to kill or tame & ride the leviathan dinosaurs and other primeval creatures roaming the land. Hunt, harvest resources, craft items, grow crops, research technologies, and build shelters to withstand the elements, while teaming up with or preying upon hundreds of other players to survive, dominate... and escape!

The game is currently in Steam 'Early Access' on steam with continually new updates in the open-world dinosaur survival game, coming soon to Xbox One and PlayStation 4!

Ark is planned to be fully released in June 2016.

PA Server Details
-Server name: Salute Your Shorts
If you have trouble finding it, try adding the IP address:
216.245.219.26:7837
Password is the usual.
-Server type: PvE
-Server's custom settings (all others are baseline):
XPMultiplier=3
Taming Speed x4
Egg Incubation x2
Baby Maturation x2
Mating Interval x.1

*Community Server Funding is currently awesome*

Tips for new Survivors
The Basics
-Remember: you're going to die, a lot.
-In ARK, when you die you lose any items you are carrying. You can recover them if you can reach your corpse before it despawns in 15 minutes. If your body was eaten by a carnivore, a backpack will be left behind with the same timer. Levels gained and engrams learned are never lost on death.
-Stats allow you to customize your survivor any way you like to play but the top recommend ones are health, stamina, weight and melee damage. Later on you'll want fortitude to better survive the more extreme locations like mountains and the snow biome. Feel free to experiment because there is a high level cooking recipe to allow you to reset all your stats and engrams.
-What are engrams? They are the various recipes you unlock with your engram points you earn every level. To start you'll want:
-Stone Axe
-Camp Fire
-Spear
-Cloth Armor
-Water Skin
-Slingshot
-Bow
-Arrow
-Thatch foundations/walls/roofs/etc.
-Sleeping bag and then eventually the bed. (These act as spawn points instead of having to spawn in a randomly selected area after a death. The former is single use while the latter has a 5 minute cooldown)
-Narcotic
-Narcotic Arrows

Quite a few people want to specialize in something to help out the server. Please feel free to pick what ever YOU enjoy doing the most. We have blueprints that allow us to make dang near everything thing and we have enough people that we can cover the gaps so feel free to do what you enjoy the most!
General info:
  • Press E to pick up stones from beaches, or berries and fiber from plants.
  • Your basic harvesting tools are your bare hands. Punching trees hurts, so craft tools as soon as possible.
  • Hatchets harvest hide, stones, and wood; Picks harvest meat, flint, and thatch.
  • Try to keep your meat in stacks and not separated so you get less spoiled meat. The spoiler timer will only affect 1 in a stack and then reset. For even less spoilage, place items in a dino's inventory (assuming they won't eat it), or better yet a preserving bin or refrigerator.
  • If trying to get spoiled meat for crafting narcotics split meat into single stacks (ctrl + click + drag) so they spoil much faster.
  • Raw meat stacks to 20 but cooked meat stacks to 30! Spoiled meat stacks to 100 (Bleh!)! Maximize your fridge space!
  • Pressing Q while the inventory is open will hide/show the item name and description overlay on items.
  • Holding the H key (default) will display advanced information on the HUD (such as what certain status effects mean)
  • Hover your mouse over an item and press O to drop and item. Press T to transfer it to another inventory you currently have open
  • It is a great idea to build a large storage chest and dump everything into when you log out for the night/go on vacation, so if you die you wont actually lose your stuff.
  • You can quickly repair an item by hitting its assigned quickslot button (assuming you have the required materials).
  • Greyed out items on the quickslot bar can be crafted by merely hitting its button (assuming you have the required materials) while holding that button will display what you're missing.
  • You can also quickly create an additional item if you hold alt while hitting its assigned quickslot button.
  • When building a shelter, you can become encumbered very quickly with wood. Instead of running to your shelter and sorting everything out, make whatever components you can in the field as it severely lessens your weight, allowing you to stay out collecting for longer. A stack of wood weighs in at 50 however wood walls weigh 4 each.
  • There are three (3) Obelisks on the island: Blue in the northwest, Red in the southwest, and Green in the southeast. Use them to upload dinos you want to save for later, store inventory items you can access from any Obelisk or even survivor data. If you start in singleplayer you can use this way to import your survivor to our server and bring any legitimately tamed dinos over. Also the Obelisks make great landmarks to get your orientation before you can make a compass or GPS.
  • The other pillars of light are supply drops but you need to be the right level to open them: White-Lvl3, Green-Lvl15, Blue-Lvl25, Purple-Lvl35, Gold-Lvl45, Red-Lvl60. White and Green tend to have general supplies while Blue and higher have blueprints to fill in your engram gaps.
Taming Basics
There are two taming methods: violent and non-violent. The kind used depends on the dino but most of them are violent.

Violent taming
Great basic video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYtDbu8wCbI

The steps:
Knock the dino unconscious.
-This requires you to raise a dino's torpor to the point it falls down, after which its name tag will show it is unconscious and you can access its inventory.
-There are a variety of ways to raise torpor: by punching the animal in the head, using a club, aiming for the head with a slingshot, or shooting the animal with Tranquilizer Arrows (preferred) or Tranquilizer Darts (more expensive but best). Lastly, Scorpions, Frogs, and Spiders melee attacks raise torpor over time.
-Torpor gain is based on the method used and damage done. Low damage methods (fists, club, slingshot) encourage aiming for the head for the higher torpor gain. Higher damage methods from using Bow and Crossbows with Tranq Arrows (drag the arrows on to the weapon you wish to use to switch ammo) or a Longneck Rifle with Tranq Darts should perform headshots sparingly or not at all to avoid killing the dino. Tranq arrows take 5 seconds to fully dispense their torpor gain so counting out that time before hitting it with another arrow is best to not lower its health too low.

Feed the unconscious dino till it loves you.
-Open the dino's inventory and feed it an appropriate food item by dragging food into its inventory.
-The food needed to tame it will depend on the dinosaur. Carnivores = Meat; Herbivores = Berries
-Keep plenty of food in the animal's inventory while the taming bar fills up (IMPORTANT: If they ever lack food in their inventory before the taming is complete the taming bar will swiftly start to decrease. Always keep some sort of food on it till it is complete.
-They eat food voluntarily as long as it's in their inventory. Don't worry about using an excess of food, as once the animal is tamed you can access the food in its inventory.
-Every time the animal raises its head to eat, the Taming bar increases. They feed every time their hunger falls 30 points (for herbivores) and 50 points (for carnivores) below their max. This also depends on the food they are eating.
-Don't force feed them anything (it won't speed up their timing) except Narcoberries / Narcotics to keep them unconscious. Select the Narcoberries /Narcotics in the dino's inventory and then press Remote Use Item located under their inventory grid to do this.
-The Unconscious bar is tied to the animal's torpor, and slowly falls as the torpor decreases. It will increase when the animal is fed Narcotics or Narcoberries.

Non-violent taming
The only dinos that currently use this are: Icthyosaurus (dolphin), Ape, Monkey, Spider and Bat
Feed the concious dino till it love you
-Equip the proper food to feed the dino in your 0 (zero) slot and approach it. Press E to feed it. For Spider and Bat tames you need to have the Bug Repellent item on.
-Wait till it is hungry again and feed it. For Icthys this is easy since they are a curious dino and very friendly. For monkeys and apes, approaching too close or staying near for too long has a chance of alarming them. This causes the monkeys to flee and apes to attack you. Don't approach often and when you do approach from behind the dino, this seems to have a smaller chance of alarming it.
-Repeat until the taming bar is filled.

Survival of the Fittest
Survival of the Fittest is played on servers with special settings. The game takes place at an accelerated pace, with leveling, gathering, taming, and building happening at quicker rates. For game balance, players take less damage, stats have been altered so tamed dinosaurs are no longer as powerful, and engrams, craftables, and supply drops have been rebalanced. Fast travel and respawning is disabled. Like in Hardcore mode, players can not respawn after death, so once killed, they have lost the game.

The environment consists of the usual island of Ark with slight modifications. At the start of every game, all players start off on a platform in the middle of the island. In the center of the platform is a large quantity of supplies and weapons -- players may can choose to loot these (though risking being attacked by other players) or directly flee into the wilderness, similar to the beginning format of The Hunger Games. The area in which the players may move is restricted by barriers and gets smaller as time progresses, eventually forcing confrontation between players.

Videos:
80 minute ARK gameplay video to get a taste:
Useful Links:
Ark Wiki
Latest and Upcoming Patch Notes
Taming Calculator (Be sure to set the taming Multipler to 2 if playing on the PA Server)
Map of the Island (old)
Interactive Map listing several settlements, obelisk and cave locations.

OP Stolen and updated from BranniganSepp

Karoz on

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    More halloween stuff.

owBJKMW.jpg?1

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    New thread smell. How nice.

Apparently , even at half x2 maturation, Quetz baby mode takes about 8.5 hours, which means today when I get on, I'll be incubating more of my eggs right up to the point of hatching before storing them. The anticipation is killing me.

Also killing my tester dodos. The first died moments after it hatched when I was disconnected, the other died overnight, but from unknown causes, since the trough was still very full of berries come morning time. If I have a baby maturing, I think I'll sign out closer to it in the hopes that it lives.

Also, Halloween is my favorite Holiday. I am so looking forward to this.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    I'll be grabbing a few spiders for egg purposes, and a bat or two for...

What are bats good for?

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

What are bats good for?
    To instill fear in the hearts of criminals.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Maybe I'll just tag along for someone else's tame for the dossier.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Will we be able to tame snakes?

Because if so I will need a bat, two spiders, and all the snakes.

And scarecrows! And pumpkins! And... and... Halloween all the things!

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    It looks like Snake taming got pushed to a later release.

Boooo.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Will these things be tameable later? Cause I don't expect to be able to play a lot this week...

Steam ID: Right here.
    Drascin wrote: »
    Will these things be tameable later? Cause I don't expect to be able to play a lot this week...

Are you asking if they are tame-able only during Halloween? No, it's a permanent addition.

Ah, good. Since people kept saying "bats tameable for halloween!" and such I wondered if it was an event-only thing with special tameable critters or something.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah a number of the dossiers actually state that they are tameable so they're just updating them to what they should be.

• Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Ah, good. Since people kept saying "bats tameable for halloween!" and such I wondered if it was an event-only thing with special tameable critters or something.

You just may not find them outside of caves after the halloween event.

Do we know how widespread the bats and spiders are gonna be for the event?

Most of the dinos I have outside are tough enough to defend themselves, but I have some work creatures like a frog and Doed that maybe I should store in my barn for a bit...

I try and make sure my critters are all tough enough to defend themselves. Thus the pack of pachys that have 500% damage and nearing 10k hp apiece.

I figure if everything it turned up to at least 8-11, I should be fine.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I almost wish that they would have kept quiet about the Dodorex and simply had it attack people at random before vanishing into a cloud of smoke.

Then we'd be getting sketchy reports of Dodorex's attacking people. But we wouldn't believe them because they'd be crazy like the people who claimed that there were Megalodons in battlefield.

Ofcourse this wouldn't stand up to people sifting through the files, but it would be neat.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    When I'm offline, what settings should I be leaving my dinos on?

steam_sig.png
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    When I'm offline, what settings should I be leaving my dinos on?

Neutral is best. You could "anchor" them to a passive dino (it must have a saddle, set it to passive, jump on and whistle "All Follow" or press J IIRC) so they don't accidentally run off while defending themselves.

Most of the dinos I have outside are tough enough to defend themselves, but I have some work creatures like a frog and Doed that maybe I should store in my barn for a bit...

Man, I have nothing but some defenders to keep my dinos safe, because the worst I get in my area is the occassional spinosaur. I hope my guys will be alright or I'll get mighty anoyed.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I have fallen into a Megaloceros breeding frenzy, trying to see how colours and stats are inherited, and Im progressively getting better results, so far, they have all inherited the mothers colour, and levels fluctuate a lot. Ive had the same couple give birth to a lvl50 baby, and later on, a lvl73 baby.

the biggest issue with the breeding operation right now, is coming up with theme relevant names for the new members of the stable.

Im not too interested in eggs hatching yet, so I will probably cull the weaker Megaloceros, and move on to more useful mammals, like Megalopithecus.

So, if anyone has a high level Male megalopithecus, Id like to use it with my high-ish level female, ill be breeding a bunch of those too, since taming them is sort of annoying, and they are pretty helpful.

Picture: 3 generations of megaloceros

kz6720ilgldu.jpg

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Started playing this again last night after several months away, holy cow that is alot of new stuff added! Looking forward to exploring the new biomes and getting eaten by all the new dinos!

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • azhaisazhais Registered User regular

Man, I have nothing but some defenders to keep my dinos safe, because the worst I get in my area is the occassional spinosaur. I hope my guys will be alright or I'll get mighty anoyed.

Unless these are superbats I have full confidence in any random mid level tamed unupgraded dilo being able to slaughter them.

steam_sig.png
    azhais wrote: »

Unless these are superbats I have full confidence in any random mid level tamed unupgraded dilo being able to slaughter them.

I'm more concerned about their ability to swarm. I'm sure it will be fine though.

edited October 2015
    azhais wrote: »

I'm more concerned about their ability to swarm. I'm sure it will be fine though.

Pffft, I have more than 10 Dimorphodons, and their many points put into speed and damage. Bats need to be concerned about MY ability to swarm.

Decomposey on
    So I left two stacks of meat on my raptor last night. Is he going to be dead by the time I get back on tonight?

Also, with regards to farming. I know they need ferts to grow, but will they die off without it? Or just stop growing until I add more. Like, if I stack a plot w/ ferts but it runs out while I'm offline, are they going to die?

steam_sig.png
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    So I left two stacks of meat on my raptor last night. Is he going to be dead by the time I get back on tonight?

Also, with regards to farming. I know they need ferts to grow, but will they die off without it? Or just stop growing until I add more. Like, if I stack a plot w/ ferts but it runs out while I'm offline, are they going to die?

Unless the raptor is a baby it should be fine for about a week. Dinos without an active survivor nearby lose food very slowly.

The crops will slowly devolve back to nothing so yes it will die over time, whatever crops are there will slowly spoil. If you can get a plot to max crops (medium plot: ~300 berries?, 150 crops) it will begin to consume fertilizer very slowly until you harvest it. So unless you want to build up a supply you can just leave them on the plot until you need them.

A large crop plot with a full 150 crops and all other slots filled with fertilizer will last about a week before it runs out and starts to decay. This time is shortened for other sources of nitrogen (large poops, medium poops, small poops, and humans poops)

edited October 2015
    Patch notes updated. Release of Halloween event should be soon.
    Upcoming Version: v221.0, ETA: 5:45 pm EST Deployment!
    * ARK: Fear Evolved (event)
    ** Re-Themed ARK, with shorter days / longer nights, colder temperature, scary creatures above-ground
    ** DodoRex & ZombieDodo Army, DodoRex Mask Skin & Achievement
    ** Placeable "Carveable" Jackolanterns, Gravestones, & Scarecrows
    ** Bone Dino Costumes
    ** Tameable Bat & Spider, Ride-able Spider
    ** Witch Hat Skin for Survivors & Dinos
    ** Rare Jack-o-Lantern Items from Supply Drops that give Free ARK Game codes to share with your friends (Official Servers Only :) )
    ** More :)

* New Items: Apex-Kill Trophy Wall-Mounts, Artifact Pedestals
    * Custom RP-oriented Recipe/Cooking System (including Skill-Based results)
    * Instrument (War Drum) playing is now locally-timed, so there isn't a latency when you're hitting the beats online
    * Double-Tap 'Use' key to throw shoulder-mounted Dino
    * Fixed issue where Dinos could spawn or get stuck outside the map boundaries
    * You can no "Replace" structures even when at the Max Structure Limit for an area
    * Added "Take All From Folder" button to remote inventories. Soon will add whole-Folder Drag & Drop.
    * Mammal Gestation Progress now saves for real!
    * Garbage Collection Performance & Texture Streaming Optimizations
    [MORE NOTES TO COME]

According to dev posts they believe the Dodorex will be VERY hard to kill. Enough that they are offering a $100 steam gift card to the first person to upload a video of killing it on an Official PVP server.

MuddBudd on
  • KelfatirKelfatir GA, USARegistered User regular
    Well waiting for the server to update. In the meantime enjoying the intro screen music.

Unless Wicked does it I am not going to be home to update the server for another 6+ hours.

Hmm, I guess I have time to watch SHIELD tonight after work then.

So, the word is that bats and spiders are passive tames. Use bug repellent to approach them and feed. No word yet on if there are kibbles to speed up taming or if they're meat only.

Also, undocumented change, the cost of all behemoth gate parts has been drastically increased. Though, apparently they need to hotfix stone ones, as the materials for the gateway weigh almost 1600, so no one can hold them to craft it. So, we dunno if they'll lower the mats on that one (I'm betting not as they'd have to put it back to near pre-patch for that) or let it be crafted at the smithy instead.

edited October 2015
    But bats aren't bugs.

-edit-

Since I believe I have Behemoth BPs, those are probably craftable since you can put it on a workbench.

MuddBudd on
    Level 1 Dodorex is 666,666 HP.

Level ONE.

edited October 2015
    Here I though nothing could kill my enthusiasm for taming spiders but they found a way.

Oh well, I'm long overdue for a break from this game anyways.

Karoz on
    Karoz wrote: »
    Here I though nothing could kill my enthusiasm for taming spiders but they found a way.

Oh well, I'm long overdue for a break from this game anyways.

I'm not sure I get the problem.

And yeah, they patched the patch to make the gate materials more "reasonable".

edited October 2015
    But bats aren't bugs.

-edit-

Since I believe I have Behemoth BPs, those are probably craftable since you can put it on a workbench.

Not my logic. :shrug: I agree, it doesn't make sense at all for bats. And aside from that, I mean really, how the heck do you passive tame a flying critter? I can't really see it being possible without a box trap or otherwise getting one caught in a structure.

Note on spiders - Apparently spoiled meat works best on them, like scorpions.

Steel Fire on
    I want a spider army.

steam_sig.png
    Oh god apparently the dodorex can eat through metal.

Because that was needed. Hoping that bastard only haunts up north or the middle of the island.