As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Dual thread hunt and this one's dead. Go to new thread.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah the best part of hunting in a group is you almost never get ambushed since times are so fast. Outside of some Guild Quests we've been on recently, I almost forgot that was even a thing.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    woo nice the garuga max makes hge alot easier to get on most sets

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Stealth Crimson Fatalis event for the GX Crimson Dragon armor.

Edit: so I'll be wanting to farm this at some point. It's pretty much better across the board for my dala sns and I have a charm that'll let me gem out the constitution penalty and get evade +1 on the set.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ogretzogretz Registered User regular
    Quest description for the apex rajang in the arena says no armor/talismans. No thanks

friend code: 2165-5516-7098
  • Options
    My takeaway from this is that if you want GR Goldie, you need to leave that specific episode up.

• Options
    ogretzogretz Registered User regular
    Yep no goldie, only "new" monster is savage jho.

friend code: 2165-5516-7098
  • Options
    ogretz wrote: »
    Quest description for the apex rajang in the arena says no armor/talismans. No thanks

Or more accurately: FUCK. THAT.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Apex Rajang just wants a hug.

I mean he's your spirit animal after all, @Vyolynce

Seidkona on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Jhooooooooooooooooo

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      I've been retaking MH4U lately after getting distracted by other games. Just getting a bit into the swing of things. G-Rank is still rather a slog to go through, since everything takes so much to die, which I think is what made me want to take a rest.

Also, screw the way every Insect Glaive requires Elder Dragon bones, seriously. Damn things don't drop.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • Options
      manjimanji Registered User regular
      depends if you're soloing the gathering hall or playing with friends. stuff dies quick enough with a good group.

i see athena's ASS is no more. shame as i was wondering if my old skool velocidrome hat might provide me with some more options in mixed sets...

• Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Again I'm only a few hours into this (relatively), how does mounting actually work?

I assume you can't mount monsters continuously and keep them stunlocked basically. Thus far I've just mounted like once every 5-10 minutes and it typically works, I haven't tried to do it continuously because I assumed it wouldn't work.

Is it based on how much stamina the monster has? Or based on something like time since last mount, or random chance?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      manji wrote: »
      depends if you're soloing the gathering hall or playing with friends. stuff dies quick enough with a good group.

i see athena's ASS is no more. shame as i was wondering if my old skool velocidrome hat might provide me with some more options in mixed sets...

I've never used Athena's but Ping's MH4U Dex has a similar functionality.

• Options
      Again I'm only a few hours into this (relatively), how does mounting actually work?

I assume you can't mount monsters continuously and keep them stunlocked basically. Thus far I've just mounted like once every 5-10 minutes and it typically works, I haven't tried to do it continuously because I assumed it wouldn't work.

Is it based on how much stamina the monster has? Or based on something like time since last mount, or random chance?

you can't mount stunlock, no. not 100% sure, but i suspect you have a mount chance and monsters build tolerance like they do with para etc. main point of mounting is an opening for damage.

• Options
      Yeah, I don't have anyone near me to play with, so I'm 100% solo.

Today I did some more advancement, but that Stygian Zin+Brachy key quest in G2 triple-carted me. The two bastards never got away from each other - ran out of dung bombs by the fifteen minute mark or so. Doesn't help that Bracy is one of my worst fights!

• Options
      Vyolynce wrote: »

i may give that a whirl. it is at worst only a DLC or two behind and i may be able to manually edit new armour into the csvs.

it is amazing though. plug in your required skills. add your charms, available weapon slots etc. sort by max possible def and set it running. not only does it churn out all the mixed sets you could ever want but right clicking will show you what your set will look like.

• Options
      Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

I believe mounting works in exactly the same way as other status effects.

Which, if you don't know, is that each hit which procs the status effect (noted with a visual identifier, eg. a purple cloud for poison, yellow flash for mounting etc.) is added to a hidden value, when that value exceeds the monsters threshold for that status effect the condition is applied.
      Each time a status condition is applied the threshold value increases so that it takes more status hits to apply next time.

That's the basic gist of it, I don't believe there's a time limit to it or anything, just the speed with which you can build up mounting damage.

• Options

i may give that a whirl. it is at worst only a DLC or two behind and i may be able to manually edit new armour into the csvs.

it is amazing though. plug in your required skills. add your charms, available weapon slots etc. sort by max possible def and set it running. not only does it churn out all the mixed sets you could ever want but right clicking will show you what your set will look like.

Ping's breaks down a little when relics are involved. I just substitute a Chakra piece with the relevant decoration and ignore anything but the skills.

It also doesn't show you how bad your hobo suit will look, but I think you can do everything else. There's a set builder and a set finder; the latter sounds like what you want, but I get a lot of mileage out of the former (which lets you search individual pieces by skill).

• Options
      AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I believe mounting works in exactly the same way as other status effects.

Which, if you don't know, is that each hit which procs the status effect (noted with a visual identifier, eg. a purple cloud for poison, yellow flash for mounting etc.) is added to a hidden value, when that value exceeds the monsters threshold for that status effect the condition is applied.
      Each time a status condition is applied the threshold value increases so that it takes more status hits to apply next time.

That's the basic gist of it, I don't believe there's a time limit to it or anything, just the speed with which you can build up mounting damage.

This roughly tallies with my experience, but with Hammer / GS / Gunlance or anything else with a big hit from the air you tend to lose track a little bit and just be trying to land said big hit.

• Options
      Man, I seriously can't into Lance anymore. I remember when Lance was my go-to "mission is hard, just use lance and crush it" weapon (back in Unite), but now I can only flail around with it, since I've spent too long without using it. Wonder if should find myself a decent armor set with Guard and try to relearn it.

• Options
      Auralynx wrote: »
      This roughly tallies with my experience, but with Hammer / GS / Gunlance or anything else with a big hit from the air you tend to lose track a little bit and just be trying to land said big hit.

Hitting a fully charged Hammer downswing is one of the most satisfying things I've done in 4U.

Is that an actual thing or is that just the regular Hammer air attack and I'm just imagining it hitting like a wrecking ball?

• Options
      AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Hitting a fully charged Hammer downswing is one of the most satisfying things I've done in 4U.

Is that an actual thing or is that just the regular Hammer air attack and I'm just imagining it hitting like a wrecking ball?

Yep, it hits harder the longer you charged. The followup golf swing hits ridiculous hard too, and the middle-charged one chains to the dashing uppercut iirc.

• Options
      edited November 2015
      Helping a friend get some GR stuff done. Opened a room if anyone else wants to hop in.

EDIT: Temporarily closed for food break.

Vyolynce on
    • Options
      edited November 2015
      Open for more business!

EDIT: Thanks for the help, guys!

Vyolynce on
    • Options
      Open for more business!

You did me a pretty fair bit of good as well, there. No complaints, and nice hunting with y'all. Oddly nice to see @manji making me look bad with my own eyes; I've seen people with that more-precise approach before and I play more like that with Wide shots myself; it was educational.

Also, the G-rank Zinogre is in fact even cooler than the previous incarnations. Still my fave.

• Options
      Open for more business!

You did me a pretty fair bit of good as well, there. No complaints, and nice hunting with y'all. Oddly nice to see @manji making me look bad with my own eyes; I've seen people with that more-precise approach before and I play more like that with Wide shots myself; it was educational.

Also, the G-rank Zinogre is in fact even cooler than the previous incarnations. Still my fave.

gunlance represent! you've seen my GL hobo suit now, it's straight hideous. i'm still trying to reduce the amount of collateral damage i do to team-mates with a wide GL. i have a friend who i swear leaps right in front of me every time i pull the trigger, no matter how careful i try to be.

really good to finally get some playtime with you guys. total chance too, i just happen to have @Vyolynce in my friends list and saw him on so jumped in the room. sunday afternoon session for you guys, but i was going till midnight.

@Entaru, @Ogretz, you have requests pending from makie, that's me. i suspect it will only ever be the odd occasion when you're on early and i'm on late that we can ever get things going, but friend list visibility helps a lot.

i've got the g-rank goldian episodic ready to go and a status negate HH set with earplugs and wind cancel set up for it. please tell me i don't get 1 shot at that quest before i have to go back to the beginning of the chain.

• Options
      Whatever HH you used vs. Shrouded Nerscylla was fucking amazing for that fight. Abnormal Status resist and Abnormal Attack up? More please!

• Options
      that's the dragonwood HH (chameleos trades). it comes with para so it syncs nicely with status attack up.

you can get the same notes on the teo and chameleos horns (blast and poison respectively). it's my go-to on any monster with deadly poison (spiders/ chameleos mainly), it basically trivialises the whole encounter when their main method of dealing damage disappears..

not seen - me with a notepad on the couch with all the notes written down in playstation triangle/ circle format! i'm too old and senile to commit HH tunes to memory unfortunately.

• Options
      edited November 2015
      I don't think I'll be able to play for a bit. I have a family emergency that will need some time from me.

Seidkona on
    • Options
      Entaru wrote: »
      I don't think I'll be able to play for a bit. I have a family emergency that will need some time from me.

hmm, no appropriate reaction buttons there. sorry to hear that, i hope things sort themselves out and everyone is OK.

• Options
      that's the dragonwood HH (chameleos trades). it comes with para so it syncs nicely with status attack up.

you can get the same notes on the teo and chameleos horns (blast and poison respectively). it's my go-to on any monster with deadly poison (spiders/ chameleos mainly), it basically trivialises the whole encounter when their main method of dealing damage disappears..

not seen - me with a notepad on the couch with all the notes written down in playstation triangle/ circle format! i'm too old and senile to commit HH tunes to memory unfortunately.

Mostly I was loving it for making his obnoxious paralyzing Spider-Man swings mostly harmless. I get hit by that crap way too often because it's hard to read (and I'm also on tilt a bit whenever he does it in the desert area because WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SWINGING FROM?!). It's a little disorienting to see the para proc but not be affected by it, though.

• Options
      Okay, I seriously don't remember Stygian Zin's red balls being this much of a problem. Do they get a lot more tracking on G-Rank or something? Because I remember them being basically a nonissue, but right now I can't seem to get three hits in before a ball comes my way.

• Options
    • Options
      Drascin wrote: »
      Okay, I seriously don't remember Stygian Zin's red balls being this much of a problem. Do they get a lot more tracking on G-Rank or something? Because I remember them being basically a nonissue, but right now I can't seem to get three hits in before a ball comes my way.

I don't usually have a problem with them — other than their increased frequency, since they get added to some of his big moves depending on his charge state — but I'm usually right up in his face/legs anyway. I don't think they delay like they used to, which might be your problem. Now they're much more like regular Zin's.

• Options
      The delay threw me off at first. I was pretty used to waiting the few seconds it took for them to sit and lock.

Now that they don't do that you don't get the lead time.

• Options
      King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      http://youtu.be/m3mD6Vx6Iwk

So I think capcom made a new fetish

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    • Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Open for more business!

Zinogre is one of the best fights in the game. Very little bullshit - everything has a tell, counters, etc. The charge mechanic is fair, etc.

Zinogre gear is also pretty damn good (although to some degree this means Stygian - the LBG and SA have really nice stats in particular) And for fashion hunters it has three models!

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      edited November 2015
      Drascin wrote: »

I don't usually have a problem with them — other than their increased frequency, since they get added to some of his big moves depending on his charge state — but I'm usually right up in his face/legs anyway. I don't think they delay like they used to, which might be your problem. Now they're much more like regular Zin's.

I dunno. I feel like they track a lot better, or I suppose maybe the sheer density helps them land. Like, normally I could fairly rely on not being hit if I kept very close, but right now I have to roll every three or four slashes of my charge blade or get smacked.

Drascin on
    • Options
      Ok. Good news. Things did not go as south as they could have on the family situation so I'll be able to pick up Monday hunts again starting next week.

I hate hostpitals.