As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Dual thread hunt and this one's dead. Go to new thread.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Frenzy was great. I liked the balance it made by forcing you to attack or get punished for it.

Apex on the other hand was nothing but an artificial DPS gate forcing people to rely on a timed item.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I wouldnt have mind Apex as much if Wystone cooldowns were not annoying to manage

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Everything I've seen about the new "hyper" mode for the monsters seems like a more refined frenzy system. Instead of having to manage a negative status on your hunter, you're instead rewarded for hitting their glowing spots with hunter art meter and punished more if they hit you with said part. Hyper monsters also apparently don't get exhausted so it's kind of like they're in a constant frenzied state. I watched a fight against a hyper Lagi and it seemed pretty intense. The definitely gave it some new tricks to reflect the land-only combat.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I will not be playing Aerial LBG, unless I'm missing something major. It's a shame...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I'm down with Generations because it looks like it will finally make me go back to my first love, the lovely and delicious hammer. Even bushido hammer looks fun, no mater how much it may actually suck. And the new upgrade system making tail cuts less of a necessity is just icing.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I might actually start with greatsword in this game. Aerial/adept quick charge is really nice. I can only imagine how fast it gets with focus.
    Plus, I don't have to use the touchscreen for arts in either.
    I might just always use one of those two styles, regardless of weapon, for that reason.

• Options
    I usually hate the greatsword.

I do not hate the aerial greatsword.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I will not be playing Aerial LBG, unless I'm missing something major. It's a shame...

I imagine it is something that you might grab against certain monsters only, like big ones with weak backs like Gravios.

Ariel HBG seems a little more doable because being able to roll out of and back into siege mode is rad, of course adept can do that too.

I think I might be going HBGs and maybe LBGs this generation, not sure though.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, possibly. It does look to work nice with rapid fire, since it bursts out fast and you skip the downtime. And the reload on evade is good of course.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I usually hate the greatsword.

I do not hate the aerial greatsword.

Yeah I gave Aerial greatsword a run vs. Maccao and thought "this seems like it would be liquid awesome with Fast Sheathe and Focus...".

• Options
    Hmm.. maybe charge blade instead. If it loses any attacks in adept style, I haven't noticed. Guard/shield thrust into super is gone altogether in this game, right?

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Hmm.. maybe charge blade instead. If it loses any attacks in adept style, I haven't noticed. Guard/shield thrust into super is gone altogether in this game, right?

CB loses the ability to yellow charge in adept. Yellow charge replaced super after shield thrust. After guard? Dunno, never used it in 4u.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    adept CB is really good cause all you lose is yellow charge (which is bad in generations anyways) and gain insane just guard sword mode followups (one is instant red) and charge A in sword gets a guard point

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Oh jeez

I'd really like to like Arial Switch Axe, because boy do I love mounting more than I should, but the loss of forward+X feels roooough

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Don't suppose anyone has tried the demo on both normal and new 3DS?

Thinking of getting the Generations New 3DS bundle so I can give my current 3DS XL to my gf, but didn't know if it was worth the extra money.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    To my surprise, I dislike aerial hammer but enjoyed bushido (adept? forget the English name). On the other hand, I could only get down with guild greatsword--bushido seemed like a nice idea, until I realized the run is a pain in the ass to position properly, or at all. Probably won't even bother with gunlance this time around, but long sword looks like it could be fun. Haven't done much of that since my first training-wheels run through FU.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hate these felynes. Can't see anything.

• Options
    This will be a difficult adjustment as, despite having soloed through G-rank in every MH I've played (which, I'll admit, is only FU and 4U), I do not evade. Playing styles built around evasion is a real trip.

stream
  • Options
    Stamina!
    Stamina!
    Natural recovery!
    Stamina!
    Natural recovery!
    Natural recovery!
    Natural recovery!
    Stamina!

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    I think there's an option that reduces the size of that Windows a little. But maybe it's confirmation bias.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    I hope the options in the demo are not representative of the full game. I want to put the entire HUD on the bottom screen again.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I hope the options in the demo are not representative of the full game. I want to put the entire HUD on the bottom screen again.

Me too, but I don't think there'll be enough space now that the hunter arts go down there too.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    This monster deflects my attacks on most of its body, screws with my controls, and flies.

This is not a good first impression. This is rather the opposite.

e: and nargacuga does all the same stuff as in 3U. That's fine, I guess.
    Back to waiting for the game to come out.

Cromarty on
  • Options

They weren't for the 4U demo. No worries.

• Options
    Aw, man, Striker-SnS or Adept-SnS. Gotta be the Arts, though. I think I'll go for arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4sKpHXEluw

Backstep is cool, though. Maybe Guild.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Not being able to burst off a guard/point for CB makes charging the shield more clunky; adept guard into red shield is functionally similar but has a much tighter window. Lots more work for not much payoff, might go with something else.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Guard super was pretty nice, but I think I miss shield thrust super more. Being able to link from a reload into a shield thrust into a super made it really easy to charge the shield.

Seems like you can fake a guard super with the axe morph, as the attack still comes out if you use the guard point.

• Options
    Oh, ZL and ZR are arts.

• Options
    damn striker lance has an insane charge finisher motion value, and you can practically spam it!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    You can apperently frame cancel the aerial jump animation with the lance and just go straight into the triple poke.

I am in the minority of people who actually love the new triple poke. Super armor, insane motion value, and great status build up? Yes please.

• Options
    Am I crazy, or is the zone of area-exit getting bigger and bigger?

I feels like I see a maccao off in the distance and just have to sit and wait for it, because it's on sacred ground.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Oh, ZL and ZR are arts.

You can change this under options,there's a whole lot of choices - including having it imitate L and R. (Which is really nice given i've got a damaged L button, and dont have the tools to try and repair it myself)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Using the Circle Pad Pro, I prefer the Type 1. Unfortunately that means I'm tapping the screen for hunter arts. I wish it was more customizable.

Also okay jeez now I understand how the light bowgun works, derp derp greens are rapid. Also no wonder the X+A aerial attack seemed underwhelming, I had to use the rapid shot for it!

Durrrrr. Well, that makes clears faster. Demo LBG seems focused on poison and burning for its rapids, I wonder if there's one that has a Normal shot as its rapid (probably not, though, since that seems like it'd be the #1 by default).

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Using the Circle Pad Pro, I prefer the Type 1. Unfortunately that means I'm tapping the screen for hunter arts. I wish it was more customizable.

Also okay jeez now I understand how the light bowgun works, derp derp greens are rapid. Also no wonder the X+A aerial attack seemed underwhelming, I had to use the rapid shot for it!

Durrrrr. Well, that makes clears faster. Demo LBG seems focused on poison and burning for its rapids, I wonder if there's one that has a Normal shot as its rapid (probably not, though, since that seems like it'd be the #1 by default).

Plenty of LBGs RF normal 2. Seregios' LBG in MH4U was really good at that. It's generally less damage than exploiting elemental weaknesses with element up or just using a HBG for raw, but it works decently well on everything and is funnnn.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    We'll then I will look forward to aerial dumping mags into monster backs.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Dac wrote: »

I believe there are other non-touch options for Arts. Like L+X+A or some nonsense like that; check the manual. I'm fine with the touch screen since I like my ZR to lock on (option 4).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
  • Options
    I feel like I'll set ZR and ZL to swap items and then promptly forget and use the old way anyway.

I am super excited. I can't even. . .

• Options
    Definitely putting map onto main screen, then using zr zl for Hunting arts

striker lance/striker sns, guild GS, adept ls/hammer

maybe finally dabble in some bow play (lol yeah right Blademaster fo lyfe)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I am definitely focusing on all styles of lance(I love adept the most but the other three are very good as well.) , Adept bow, and maybe some adept/aerial hammer.