As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come for the sides, stay for the [Thanksgiving]

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Friendsgiving 1:

Let me preface this by talking about the Friendsgivings that came before this.

For a while, there was a bar where, every Monday, I would play trivia and sing karaoke. I did this for about three years straight, and during that time, met a whole lot of truly great people. There were people that would only come for one Monday, share their stories on the patio of this bar in-between songs, chain-smoking, nervous to set foot on the stage, but always interesting and real.

Then there were the regulars, the folks there every Monday come hell or high water, and these people soon became close, close friends. One of them, we'll call her K, had an annual Friendsgiving, and three years ago, I was invited. It was a great time; all of the Monday superstars, K's parents, her parent's friends, K's other friends, a two liter bottle of wine, shooters - good food, good jokes. A closed off porch for us smokers where there always seemed to be a fresh pack on the table for people just looking to hang out and swap stories. The parents all loved hearing about the karaoke exploits and what I did for actual work. There may have been singalongs. Like, I'll roll my eyes at a singalong because come, on guys, but I'll still dive deep and belt with the rest of them.

K recently got a travelling job, meaning she wasn't going to be in town, so the Friendsgiving duties were picked up by my old roommate, we'll call him W. W and I used to be very close, but during the year we lived together, I lost my job and my constant presence at the apartment was grating. When we moved out, we became better friends, but he moved across town and my car started giving me trouble, so financially I wasn't really in a place where I could do much of anything outside of play video games. I hadn't seen a bunch of my friends in a long time, so this seemed like it would be a fun even to go to.

The guest list was smaller than it had been last year, but W had a smaller apartment compared to K's parent's house. I arrived, bringing chips and dip (and a flask) and greeted everyone, including W's other roommate, N. N... doesn't like me. I met her at a party a few years back and the next time I saw her, I didn't recognize her, so I was like, "Oh, hey, sorry, I'm sure we've met, but I don't actually remember your name." and she told me, and then for whatever reason, I thought it would be a good goof to pretend to forget her name every time I saw her since.

Which she thought was very, very offensive. And there's also a pretty big probability that W has told her some stories about living with me - we got on each other's nerves with our respective behavior (he was a slob; one time while cleaning I found a petrified meatball under the coffee table that he had dropped at some point and never bothered to recover. I was a drunk.) But as a show of good faith, that I was actually a decent person, four months ago, I friended N on Facebook. The friend request remains unanswered.

Anyway; we're all having beers/liquor/wine, I'm popping out back to smoke, but I noticed that the consistency of this gathering is odd. There are people there who are already friends - two distinct groups that seem to have a fear of intermingling. The kitchen is crowded, so I go out into the living room and sit down with a buddy, and we're talking. A larger group wanders in, and no one is talking, so I try a few things to get the conversation going.

(On the count of three, everyone's favorite color!

On the count of five, everyone's favorite actor, phone book style, last name first, first name last!

Hey, has anyone seen Avatar?)

but it's not taking. Eventually someone tells a joke, and I think, great! Ice-breaker!

But it was a Dad joke.

So everyone got out their phones and went to joke websites, and started telling jokes from their screen. Which wasn't terrible. But the clean jokes quickly ran out, and they devolved in short order to racist ass, sexist ass 'jokes'. My new roommate, who was at this event as well, tried to call out how gross these were, to be shut down, every time, by N.

"They're just jokes, honey. Calm down."

After about an hour of this, we stepped outside to smoke, and when we came back in, they were setting up Cards Against Humanity.

So we left.

That was... rough.

Aw man, I've been to that party before.
    Sorry it didn't quite work out this year.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I had to start my thanksgiving by filing a claim with my bank for a charge I didn't make.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    We didn't know until very recently if things would come together so we could all do thanksgiving at my brothers' place, but fortuitously they did!

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Happy thanksgiving friends!

The parade is on! Go watch!

• Options
    AL ROKER IS HERE

You should've heard BugBoy, he actually screamed he was so hyped

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    The parade is the highlight of my year

• Options
    I've never watched the thanksgiving day Parade.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I arrived at a lovely establishment that serves expatriate fare from England and America at about 9:30 pm, direct from work.

They were sold out of Thanksgiving plates by the time I got off work, so no Turkey. I ended up eating Steak and Mushroom Pie with Mashed Potatoes (not a bad substitute).

But they still had pumpkin pie! Thanksgiving miracle!

Last t year I had turkey but no mashed potatoes and no pumpkin pie.

Next year I hope I can get the whole all, but for now I'm happy as a clam and thankful for basically everything ever.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I've never watched the thanksgiving day Parade.

It's got everything

Balloons, floats, terrible Broadway songs

Mostly I watch for the terrible Broadway songs

• Options
    There's a roller skating man in a bear costume

Watch the parade, y'all

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Going to eat so many rolls today.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We're doing a thanksgiving brunch today. We had the big meal last Saturday.

Then I'm going to shop.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just got my Turkeys on the smoker. Any bigger and they wouldn't have fit! A couple 11 pounders should yield up some nice juicy birds in about 5 hours.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Every year for thanksgiving my family visits an art museum in DC to see whatever new/temporary exhibit is in town

This year we went to the renwick which just opened up after being under renovation for years

It was super cool, lots of pretty and fun things and also it is a very small museum so the trip was quick and the crowd was small which was great

I'll put up pictures later, gotta go eat lunch at NMAI first

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    i feel like this parade has been lackluster on the shitty broadway music front

i've been watching for an hour and have heard no shitty broadway music

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    are there any holiday-appropriate Hamilton songs?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    So glad my parents finally broke down and bought a smart TV. No jury rigging a laptop HDMI output to a CRT this year for the Turkey Day marathon.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    National Dog Show about to start!

GO GO GO

• Options
    THE WHIPPET IS GETTING HIS TEETH CHECKED OUT WHY ARE YOU NOT WATCHING

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It is sleeting out. My mom and nephew are both sick, but I got the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon on next to me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm not with my usually family crew this year, which means I can't get drunk and do my Comedian impression whenever they start lamenting the American dream

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Going to extended family for Thanksgiving, same as every year. New relative doing it this year, so that should be interesting. We're bringing some glazed carrots.

We got the host - 50ish single male - a bottle of Unibroue Trois Pistoles for a host gift. Is that OK or too cheap?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have completed my thanksgiving nap.

Almost time for shopping!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
  • Options
    I ate much turkey.

Now am sleepy.

Zzz

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I stared at that Cher tweet for a full couple of minutes trying to think of an appropriate reaction, but there's nothing. It's perfect just as it is and requires no commentary.

Aistan on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have no idea what that means

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Not doing anything until Saturday, which is fine because I have to be to work at midnight for my wonderful Black Friday shift, so I need to relax as much as possible.

I haven't really had a proper Thanksgiving in a few years.

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    We're waiting till Saturday to do Thanksgiving because of conflicting job schedules

i hate waiting for turkey!!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Just put together the sweet potatoes, the stuffing, and the mashed potatoes.

Now all that is cooking and this isnt even my home, its my parents place and they are just making a turkey.

The only real issue so far is there is no football, there only the national dog show.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I just realized that apparently black friday was translated in quebec to be Vendredi Fou, which translates to crazy friday, which is quite appropriate.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I just saw a commercial that said that black friday started today at 6.

I feel sorry for anyone having to work today cuz of that.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My smoked turkey came out perfectly and now we are all stuffed and watching the parade. My wife and I hosted for the first time and my folks, brother and fiance and my grandmother came over. It has been a pretty good day.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    K... Kill meeeeee

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    thanksgiving update: much wine drunk

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    so jelly

i can't drink because i'm on call

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving turned out well. I baked a pumpkin pie that has been very well received by my family. Now we're going to have a second dessert.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Made fudge for the first time. Chocolate with marshmallows. Fingers crossed!