As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That Nintendo Direct was nuts! Let's talk about it.

19596979899101»

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

In a proper crane game that doesn't have the grip strength of a newborn baby with a protein deficiency I have a solid 50%-60% success rate

I won a game boy advance SP in one once

It was like 2 years after the DS had been out but still!

So when are we doing a Japan trip? I want you to win me all the things.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They are not!

Just

Mostly incompatible

Every once in a blue moon you can find one that can actually grab something

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    They are not!

Just

Mostly incompatible

And then a man comes to "fix" it and suddenly it can't hold shit anymore.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    They are not!

Just

Mostly incompatible

That's because it's programmed to actually be able to hold on to something every now and then. Every other time it's dropping the toy immediately.

• Options
    And that's when you track down where the man lives and discreetly turn his apartment into a giant crane game with you as the operator and

Oh

I think I understand how supervillains happen now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    And that's when you track down where the man lives and discreetly turn his apartment into a giant crane game with you as the operator and

Oh

I think I understand how supervillains happen now

No, no, no, you're going about this all wrong. You take his family and loved ones and strap them to blocks with a hook on it. He then has to operate the piddly-weak crane to grab as many as he can, to drop them to safety, before the incinerators kick on.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I would rather play rogue squadron than starfox 64 10 times out of 10

I'd rather play the planes in Diddy Kong racing

Rogue Squadron is a completely different genre, though

Also it's even deader than Starfox

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

Rogue Squadron is a completely different genre, though

Also it's even deader than Starfox
    So are

you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

well yeah, rogue squadron is the best game on the system

okay now you're just being silly

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    When you play a crane game, you might end up with something

When you play Star Fox, you end up with nothing but bitterness

Also a friend of mine won a PS4 last year, it wasn't a crane game though, it was one of those things where you have to get the arm to move into the slot and "unlock" the item

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    which game is objectively better: star fox 64 or nintendo badge arcade

only one podcast can decide

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    which game is objectively better: star fox 64 or nintendo badge arcade

only one podcast can decide

Nintendo Badge Arcade is subjectively the second best game Nintendo put out last year after Woolly World

I can't speak to its objective strengths, other than the fact that it's cheaper than Star Fox 64

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    star fox 64 is a really cool game that i would have a hard time saying was worth full retail price

For me it's pretty much the last time the public was all-in on a large-scale arcade-style operation for full price

Starfox 64 had gobs of content that was genuinely challenging; if you did things perfectly and ignored cutscenes you could experience it in about five hours total, but I don't think anyone was actually capable of doing that. SF64 hails from an era where getting down and dirty and whipping ass and clawing for a high score was its own justification because the mechanics were really fun; at the time it was absolutely worth full retail price, if only because people were willing to pay for it

I'm worried about SF0 at least partially because I think Nintendo is goign to try to make the game longer, and that is inevitably going to take away from what made 64 such a razor-edged experience

a while back I mentioned that star fox would probably work pretty well as a sporadically released episodic thing, or just smaller downloadable titles

I still think this is the case, at least if they're in the weird situation of still trying to emulate the 64 game

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    When you play a crane game, you might end up with something

When you play Star Fox, you end up with nothing but bitterness

http://youtu.be/qTNfPdqxuC8

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    By the way

Do Europeans generally just resign themselves to using American names to make things easier?

Because I'm sure of all the Star Fox 64 mentions I've seen on these boards over the years, some of them had to have come from Europeans, but I've never once heard anyone mention "Lylat Wars" (which I think is a much cooler name)

• Options
    I once posted on a forum administrated by a british man who would get very upset if you called the sega mega drive a genesis like a stupid american

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Genesis is such a fantastic name though

I don't like Sega consoles but goddamn they had some cool names, or at least I thought so

Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I don't like Sega consoles but goddamn they had some cool names, or at least I thought so

Nomad
    Sega-Nomad-Handheld.jpg

Eats batteries for breakfast

• Options
    Nomad is a strong title for a portable system.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

The only issue I have with the Genesis is that it wasn't Sega's first system.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    So is The Thousand Year Door better about powering up Mario?

Because I've gotten two of the seven Star Spirits back in the first Paper Mario, and Mario has only gotten one hammer upgrade and no boot upgrades yet

My playtime is at seven hours but Mario's jump attack is doing just as much damage as it did in his first fight, this doesn't feel right

• Options
    Paper Mario damage stays real low, usually

TTYD has some growth near the end for sure, and there are ways to make your attacks, like, twenty times as powerful? But in general the numbers are going to stay pretty low for a long time. Growth is slow.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    It sounds like we're at similar points in the game, UV. I went into the sewers in Toad Town after beating the Ninja Turtles boss group, and that giant squid thing kicked the shit out of me.

Edit: That being said, the game is great!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    I beat both Bloopers in the sewers and am about to head into Forever Forest

Then I remembered I was gonna call today and have them merge my Wii U and 3DS NNIDs into one so I'm all ready for My Nintendo

It was relatively painless

And their hold music was the Hyrule Field theme so hey

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Alright I'm getting back into Fire Emblem
    I'm at chapter 8 and I got until the end of 11 to get Chrom up to S so we can get hitched

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm at chapter 8 and I got until the end of 11 to get Chrom up to S so we can get hitched

I like to use low-level Street/Spot Pass teams to grind supports.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    By the way

Do Europeans generally just resign themselves to using American names to make things easier?

Because I'm sure of all the Star Fox 64 mentions I've seen on these boards over the years, some of them had to have come from Europeans, but I've never once heard anyone mention "Lylat Wars" (which I think is a much cooler name)

Honestly I kinda forget that it was called Lylat Wars at times. The only time I'll explicitly call something by its PAL name is if its US name overlaps with something here. So I'll call 'Neighbours' 'Bad Neighbours' because the former is a soap.

• Options

As long as your avatar has the highest support with him she'll marry him regardless, so if she's the only one at B or A you're fine

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

As long as your avatar has the highest support with him she'll marry him regardless, so if she's the only one at B or A you're fine

Oh, really? I could have sworn I'd found a guide a while back that said if they weren't at S then he'll marry one of 5 people with the Avatar being pretty low on the list

Well, that's good to know

• Options
    That list is priority for girls who are at the same rank with chrom

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Oh, really? I could have sworn I'd found a guide a while back that said if they weren't at S then he'll marry one of 5 people with the Avatar being pretty low on the list

nope for chrom it just picks his highest support, so even if you were at C as long as you were his only support you'd still marry him

if he has no supports he marries a rando generic village girl

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

if he has no supports he marries a rando generic village girl

This amuses me.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I think the best course Star Fox could have taken would have been to play up how it was based on TV shows like Thunderbirds.

Release the game as a digital Episodic title. Then you can either buy each Episode or you can buy "Star Fox: Season One." Each Episode is a series of 5-6 rail shooter missions (and a few all-range areas for some boss fights and special objectives). Then every other month or so another episode comes out until Episode 6 or so which can be the season finale.

In a manner similar to Yoshi's Wooly World (yarn) or Kirby's Rainbow Curse (clay), have the art design made to look like a puppet show (ie. the original SNES box art), even with the muppet-style wires for their arms plainly visible during cutscenes.

So you offer people a few bite-sized chunks each not quite as long as Star Fox 64, but each one you own also adds more maps and junk to the Multiplayer modes and such. Then make sure it's got leaderboards and all, and just enough story for people to care what happens next without bogging it down like a post-Genesis Sonic game. Also throw in some crazy semi-obscure secrets like the Black Hole and that Slot Machine level and such for people to spend some time hunting for.

Then if it's successful enough you can expand on to doing a "Star Fox: Season 2" once the team is ready to continue.

Lars on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    muppets don't have wires!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    muppets don't have wires!

I don't know what you call those sticks that move their arms around, so I said "muppet-style wires" instead of just "wires."

Edit: Google says they are called "hand rods" apparently.

Lars on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I know some people think that having on-foot levels in a star fox game is heresy

but if it turned out that zero had on-foot levels developed by platinum, well I think that would be rad as hell

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I know some people think that having on-foot levels in a star fox game is heresy

but if it turned out that zero had on-foot levels developed by platinum, well I think that would be rad as hell

this is a strong point

not many games where you can combo someone into a launcher into an allied strafing run

• Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

this is a strong point

not many games where you can combo someone into a launcher into an allied strafing run

Fox uses Reflector to bounce the enemies projectile back at them, then Fox Illusions up to them to combo, ending with a launcher where they are then bounced between Slippy and Peppy performing parallel barrel rolls so that you can Fire Fox up to them and continue the combo until you launch them a second time from midair and then Falco comes by for a strafing run to finish them off.

Then you drop a Landmaster on them.

• Options
    So, Fire Emblem
    At what point should I use this Master Seal? And what does an advanced class entail?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, Fire Emblem
    At what point should I use this Master Seal? And what does an advanced class entail?

Level 20, unless you reclassed already in which case level 10's fine.

Better caps, new skills, and sometimes new weapons or a horse or something like that.

Seriously, the caps are way higher in Awakening.

This discussion has been closed.