As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

November 13th terror attacks in [Paris]

a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
edited November 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is still breaking news, but here's a thread for it.

Edit: More from BBC here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203

Apparently there was also a bomb near the Stade de France, where a football match between France and Germany is/was going on.

Edit 2: AP is now reporting 30 dead and 100 hostages in a theater.

a5ehren on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    A news stream a friend was watching is reporting 18 dead from a mass shooting, the bombing at the stadium, and a third attack she hasn't caught a translation for.

How those casualties are divided, how many might be wounded, and other details weren't clear at the time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Good job, humanity.

Good job.

-.-

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    BBC News picked the story up a few minutes ago.
    At least 18 people have been killed in several shootings in the French capital, Paris, as well as explosions at the Stade de France.

At least one man opened fire with an automatic gun at the Petit Cambodge restaurant in the 11th district.

Liberation newspaper reports four deaths. It also reports shootings near the Bataclan arts centre.

Three explosions are also reported outside a bar near the Stade de France, where France were hosting Germany.

Reports say French President Francois Hollande was watching the match and has been moved to safety.

A BBC journalist at the Petit Cambodge restaurant says he can see 10 people on the road either dead or seriously injured.

He says police have now arrived and sealed off the area.

An eyewitness told Liberation he had heard more than 100 rounds being fired.

It says the gunman has fled the scene.

488W936.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Edit: F--K, SORRY.

If there are any islamist motives, it would sound the death-knell for religious rights in France and elsewhere.

Absalon on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    And Al-Jazeera:
    At least 18 people have been killed after a gunman opened fired with a Kalasnhnikov at a restaurant in Paris, French police have said.

French police officials said there have also been two explosions near the Stade de France stadium where a France-Germany friendly football match was taking place.

It was unclear if the events were linked.

Al Jazeera's Jacky Rowland, reporting from Paris, said police had confirmed there was a hostage situation at a concert hall in the city.

Police evacuated people from all bars and restaurants in the area of the 10th and 11th arroundissment, a popular part of Paris with young people and tourists.

French President Francois Hollande and his interior minister rushed to the ministry to deal with the unfolding situation, an official said.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    The suicide bombings indicate islamist motives, which would sound the death-knell for religious rights in France and elsewhere.

Who is reporting suicide bombings?

• Options
    Marine Le Pen and her ilk are going to make hay out of this, especially if there is indeed an ongoing hostage situation.

I am not looking forward to the response to and consequences of this attack in France/Europe/The West generally.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    The suicide bombings indicate islamist motives, which would sound the death-knell for religious rights in France and elsewhere.

Who is reporting suicide bombings?

No one I'm seeing have reported suicide bombings, only explosions. We don't know enough at this early time to be sure of the cause.

488W936.png
  • Options
    According to early reports:

4 shootings, 1 bombing and a hostage situation.

Assuming the early reports are accurate, that sounds pretty coordinated.

*sigh*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    goddamnit

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My friend's parents are supposed to be traveling into the area tomorrow (as in, their hotel is literally near a restaurant where an attack took place), so she's watching for news like a hawk right now.

Apparently the hostage situation at the concert hall has an estimated 60 hostages.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    You could actually hear the explosion in the coverage of the football game. And at the end of the game the audience was brought onto the field as the stadium was apparently sealed off. shit.

• Options
    "Hey guys it's Friday. Want to go play some games, maybe get a few drinks and get some wings?"

"...Eh, I dunno. We did that last Friday. I think we should go take hostages and murder a bunch of people in cold blood instead."

"Alright, sounds good. Who's driving?"

World letting me down this weekend.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Fuck.

• Options
    the one thing I do hope this does not get tied to is refugees.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Shit is exhausting.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    scherbchen wrote: »
    the one thing I do hope this does not get tied to is refugees.

If it's an Islamic terrorist attack it definitely will be.

• Options
    ...In the event that this was ISIL supporters, may I please request that folks try to use the term 'Wahhabism' instead of 'Islamic' or 'Muslim'? It's more accurate & less inflammatory.

I know everyone is used to using 'Islamic Militants' or 'Muslim Militants' because our media coverage is so abysmal, and I know most people mean nothing offensive by it, but continuing to use that language contributes a lot of toxicity to a topic that hardly needs more.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    I can't imagine this is going to do anything but bad things for the immigration situation there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    This is going to be the largest push towards the right wing parties in Europe - at this point I'm having a hard time blaming people flocking to them.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    AP is now reporting around 100 hostages in the theater, and 30 dead elsewhere.

• Options
    I can't imagine this is going to do anything but bad things for the immigration situation there.

Yup.

That's (partly) the point.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Terrorism is such a horrible mentality. Hurting everyone so they fear you. And it's certainly going to work exactly as I'm sure they're hoping - increasing mistrust and violence.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This is going to be the largest push towards the right wing parties in Europe - at this point I'm having a hard time blaming people flocking to them.

Except those right wing parties aren't exactly blameless in all this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    someone is periscoping at one of the locations:

https://www.periscope.tv/StephHannache/1rmGPWdQwaYKN

I mostly hear speaking in French, but a little english here & there.

edit: it's the Bataclan theater, the hostage situation.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

How do you come to that conclusion?

Edit: According to BBC the gunmen apparently have mentioned Syria during the attacks.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

The scapegoating, the stereotyping, the pushes to use the law to other people of other religions?

The right wing in Europe has been priming the powder keg.

• Options

The scapegoating, the stereotyping, the pushes to use the law to other people of other religions?

Unfortunately I doubt the people will realize/care about that much after this. The government will have plenty of leeway to retaliate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular

Edit: According to BBC the gunmen apparently have mentioned Syria during the attacks.

Racist and ethnocentric right wing policies drove these former choir boys into religious fanaticism. They may as well have pulled the trigger themselves

• Options
    40+ dead according to Germany's ARD

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    CNN now reporting at least 60 dead.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Going to be a lot more. They assaulted the concert 7 minutes ago

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Unfortunately I doubt the people will realize/care about that much after this. The government will have plenty of leeway to retaliate.

And that is what scares the fuck out of me.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I believe the Eagles of Death Metal were scheduled to be playing there tonight.

• Options

And that is what scares the fuck out of me.

Indeed. Things are going to get more ugly quickly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

...Well, let's what I've got here... Strongbow? Sure, why not.

Fuck today.

*pours glass*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Fuck. that. This is (probably) wahabi extremists that thinks it's perfectly fine targeting civilians because the western world tries to stop them from beheading people.

And honestly, religion is the primary culprit in this - the right wing parties aren't forcing anyones hands in these kinds of attacks. It's being goddamn apologetic of the people perpetrating these attacks.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    local mobile phone nets are down.

jesus this must be scary as fuck.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular

Fuck. that. This is (probably) wahabi extremists that thinks it's perfectly fine targeting civilians because the western world tries to stop them from beheading people.

And honestly, religion is primary culprit in this - the right wing parties aren't forcing anyones hands in these kinds of attacks. It's being goddamn apologetic of the people perpetrating these attacks.

Radicalization of youth does not happen in a vacuum.

Policies and rhetoric, both domestic and foreign, that seem to disproportionately target a specific group will do that, though.

No one's being apologetic of the attackers. Whoever they were, whatever their motives, they perpetrated this and that blame rests on their shoulders and their shoulders alone. Creating the kind of climate that leads to these groups being so incredibly successful in recruitment, however, is a very different thing altogether.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    local mobile phone nets are down.

jesus this must be scary as fuck.

Do you have quote for this? I got a good study friend that I had contact with about 30 minutes ago and haven't been able to reach him afterwards.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat