As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me screw.

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
Well, unscrew. I have a fan with a screw with this design: (- -) but am having a hell of a time finding a screwdriver that matches it. Any ideas?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    can you find or take a picture?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Probably something like this.

Can't help but think the easiest answer would be to take a dremel to an existing flat head screwdriver that you don't much like.*

Depending on how tight it is you could always revive some Gamecube hacking skills and heat to the point of melting an empty pic pen tube, jam it into the screw and let it set to form the plastic right to the shape.

Edit: If you do dremel a screwdriver be careful about letting it get too hot. Just dunk it in some water to ditch any built up heat.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It's a tamper resistant screw, you can get bits for them without having to do anything nuts. I know Harbor Freight carries the bit in their 100 piece security bit set, but I think (not 100%) it's in the cheaper 33 piece set as well. Smaller chains like Ace or Wolfheils might have them individually. The bit you want is shaped more or less like a tuning fork.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Also, if you have a dremel it's pretty trivial to make one of those bits from a normal flathead.

Might be cheaper and easier than tracking down the correct security bit.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    It's a tamper resistant screw, you can get bits for them without having to do anything nuts. I know Harbor Freight carries the bit in their 100 piece security bit set, but I think (not 100%) it's in the cheaper 33 piece set as well. Smaller chains like Ace or Wolfheils might have them individually. The bit you want is shaped more or less like a tuning fork.

Yup, it's in the 33 pcs set. Also it's apparently a "spanner pin" bit.

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    It's tough to see the size, but is it too small to try to get a needlenose pliers in each side and twist?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    That is indeed the screw. I have basically no tools but I'm willing to try whatever.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    That is indeed the screw. I have basically no tools but I'm willing to try whatever.

Alright, is $7 bucks is no big deal I'd pick up that set from Harbor Freight. That should just work and will be far less frustrating than the bic thing and bonus points, you're prepared for the next stupid screw head thrown your way.

Hmm...doesn't look like that comes with a driver for the bits so if you really have no way to turn the bit that won't work well. Amazon has this but it's add on only. The next one with just prime is like twenty bucks, so that's not cool.

• Options
    Just some background info. I'm trying to take the front off my blower fan to get dust that the air compressor did not. It can from a really messy place and I think it's spreading dust/cat dander.

• Options
    I'm getting the Freight one. Mine shows a driver is included, though. Or heavily implies it.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to grab the free item of the week while you're at Harbor Frieght.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

ooh, ooh, did someone say Harbor Freight?

Hazard-Fraught.jpg
    HF2.jpg
    HF3.jpg
    HF4.jpg

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    First you should warm it up...
    ehrm... yeah, crummy heads make for awful experiences.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    joshgotro wrote: »

If it's not the screwdrivers, that is. Or the flashlight. Or the tape measure. The multimeter is actually good, and any of the less common freebies (puck light, magnetic tray, electric flyswatter) are pretty good. Those first three, though? Well... I can't exactly say you're overpaying, but... If it's the screwdrivers, you're overpaying. I mean, seriously, who puts square handles with sharp corners on a tool you're meant to grip tightly and twist?

Hevach on
  • Options
    ... Gaydar?