As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The MOBA.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Will be interesting to see what 6.86 does to Pugna.

He isn't really a carry, and he isn't really a support...

Weird little dude is probably the best way I've heard him described.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    And Pugna makes a great support! (He also does well in other roles, and where he's best depends on your and the enemy teams composition)

But he has a save/disable+slow with decrep against r-click carries. Ward is just great all the time.

And more people should use his ult to heal your team's carries. It's got good range, so you can stay safe at the back, and it heals so much.

Low, low hp, no stun and no heal. Dude is bait as a support.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    in my opinion. I run support riki sometimes so take my advice with a grain of salt.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    He could be a support if you have an aggressive fast-push deathball type strat where you just knock down all their towers super quickly, but that's really the only way I can see it.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    And Pugna makes a great support! (He also does well in other roles, and where he's best depends on your and the enemy teams composition)

But he has a save/disable+slow with decrep against r-click carries. Ward is just great all the time.

And more people should use his ult to heal your team's carries. It's got good range, so you can stay safe at the back, and it heals so much.

Low, low hp, no stun and no heal. Dude is bait as a support.

His decrep can be used to shut down an enemy r-click carry, or protect its target. And it's a 50% slow. In my bracket it's not an uncommon site just to have the enemy carry sit there confused for 5 seconds.*

And his ult is a great heal. It heals a lot, much more than Omni, Mek, or Dazzle. (Though is more dangerous to use)

His int gain also means that he doesn't really run into mana problems once he has a couple of levels.

*I had a great game where I completely shut down the enemy Void doing that. He got almost nothing out of his ult if I was close.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    6.86 patch notes are up. Lots of interesting things to be found.

dota2.com/balanceofpower

EDIT: Earth Spirit, Oracle, and Terrorblade back into Captain's Mode, Riki, Faceless Void, Lone Druid, Doom, Wyvern, and Death Prophet out. Doom and Wyvern being removed is going to ensure a new meta, at the very least.

411Randle on
    1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    There are some big changes there. Excited to try it out!

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Why are heroes added / removed from Captain's mode?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Usually they're removed due to a change to the functionality of their abilities (as opposed to just changing damage or duration values) and added back in when enough time has passed and they're judged to be balanced. It prevents a newly changed hero from winning competitive matches because he hasn't gotten enough testing.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Because significant reworks to skills often come with gamebreaking bugs, or are simply gamebreakingly good.

So they get some time in other modes to figure out balance/bugs.

Edit2: You can read captains mode as pro scene.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Are there images yet of the terrain changes? There are so many, I'm having a tough time picturing it.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Me too. I stopped reading them after like 15.

I'm gonna watch canada cup in a bit, see how it looks.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The new branch active is really cool, will create some crazy juke options early on.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    An item that increases attack range... Woah

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    spell damage item, we HoN now

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    That new SF Aghs upgrade could be interesting.

I assume the new big camp in the offlanes gives offlaners a way to get XP and also possibly pull the lanes, making the t1 offlane tower actually important

The new rune is semi-useful depending on who gets it

Way too many changes to absorb without seeing some games.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Wow..so many changes it's hard to even absorb them all. Things that immediately jumped out at me: DP finally lost that retarded movement speed passive! So that's pretty great. Void's time dilation seems kind of insane and super not fun, though if I think about it it really only affects drawn out team fights against spell spammers. Hood active seemed pretty sweet at first but in retrospect is kind of worthless, I guess it's a nice benefit before you finish a pipe, but that's about it. Bottle gets nerfed yet again, wish he'd just remove the damn thing already, that item is so dumb.

Hard to really place the general theme of this one but it feels like a general push towards aggressive early strategies; more gold, more opportunities for for farm, early fighting items. Also feels like movement speed is being slowed across the board.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Damn, crazy changes. New Riki looks pretty nuts and gat damn that nerf to Wyvern is pretty nasty.

Aether Lens seems insanely strong.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Some interesting changes that explain why the heroes are removed from captains mode.

Void, for example, is going to need a blink dagger, which is big. His new ability is neat, but would require counter-initiation (or stupidity) to be that useful. Until late game, where he's going to be a different kind of carry. Blink and Agh's rush, he'll need some evasion, and then just tank up--enough that he can take all the nukes, timewalk it off, and then use time dilation to clean up. Much weaker in 1v1s, but much better as a 2.

Prophet also gets mostly buffs to her early laning, but a nerf to her ult. The new ability means she's even more mana hungry than she already was, but being able to drain multiple heroes will make her better for team fights.

Doom got a whole lot more boring, but lvl? death tactics have been out of favour since dota 1, so it had to happen eventually.

---

The Invoker change is what players have been asking for (so was the DP change).

Fuck Kunkka. Seriously.

Will be interesting to see how Earth Spirit plays out. A lot of pros hate him (for pubbing) and his only real nerf was to his mid-game utility and not his laning, which is where he's most obnoxious.

OD's changes mean he has to be levelled and played differently, which is something. Astral imprisonment is a 1 point skill, and orb has to be at least lvl 3. He has to figure out how to trade better, but till be more dominant against melee heroes.

Pudge got buffed without even needing Aghs, which is still a luxury. So that's nice.

Silencer was mode more of a pain in the ass to play against. Throwing his nuke and then arcane curse means 304 magic damage at level 2, if they cast a spell to break last word early. That's the damage of a level 4 nuke.

I declare Sand King the winner of the patch. The new Agh's is legit core on him, and Aether Lens, if it works like it says it does, is as well. That's 1300 range burrow strikes on an 11 second cooldown. He has more camps to farm, and everything he needs is cheaper.

Overall, the patch is about reducing move speeds, increasing attack speeds, and making it cheaper to be a support.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    My biggest question of this patch: What is the purpose of Faerie fire?

It's sort of efficient damage, but it's so cheap that the slot is hardly worth it for the stats compared to branches.

As a burst heal, it's weak enough you can't confidently swing fights the same way e.g. a charged stick could.

I can only really see picking one up as insurance against one last autoattack killing you during a dive, but for that to be a good use you'd have to have an empty slot in your inventory with 75 gold left and not enough money to buy a stick (or just a circlet or stat item).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Faerie fire is for carries that don't need the branches for anything and want to start last hitting right now.

Also, the new hero being added without any nerfs is going to be a party. He was pretty stupid in dota 1.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Maybe power creep has set in and made Arc Warden less relevant?

Anyway, even in the situation of a carry wanting to last hit right now, why not just get a QB? It's even useful for anti tango measures. E: I get that it's more expensive, but if you care about stats you could get other items too.

E: I get that you could get some stats+Faerie, but I feel like you could do better going all in on stats, regen, or last hitting.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    My old argument would have been that sometimes you don't really care about or want branches, but you would absolutely looove a bit of extra regen.

Now that everyone's going to be a tree planting hippy, I'm not sure when I'd grab it. As usual, I'll play around with it and then probably see how the pros tackle it.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Arc Warden did things that other heroes still don't, so I don't think power creep has done anything. If anything, all the buffs to actives has only made him stronger.

stream
  • Options
    http://imgur.com/a/6yZZG

Terrain Changes

• Options
    I posted it over in the MOBA thread, but with how close we are to having all DotA 1 heroes ported to DotA 2, I'm kind of excited for whatever new heroes get (slowly) made for DotA 2. Having heroes designed from the ground up without the limitations of the WC3 engine will be interesting.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    A lot of the changes fall in line with the last round of tree changes. They're there not to really change pathing, but to make it more obvious where you can go.

stream
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    milski wrote: »
    I posted it over in the MOBA thread, but with how close we are to having all DotA 1 heroes ported to DotA 2, I'm kind of excited for whatever new heroes get (slowly) made for DotA 2. Having heroes designed from the ground up without the limitations of the WC3 engine will be interesting.

Only 1 left, Pit Lord (aka Abyssal Underlord).

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    There's been a desire to do certain things that wc3 dota couldn't. The very first new hero would have been a female strength hero, if not for the Legion Commander change. Not that she's any different in her abilities, but there were no options left in the wc3 model pool to make that sort of hero.

stream
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Hnnnnnnnnnnng Lone Druid has a guaranteed 2.5s disable and +30 base damage!

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I'm glad that Icefrog is getting rid of a lot of the boring "increases the power of your other spells" passives, and maybe cutting down on multi passive heroes in general.

Maybe Wraith King can get crit combined with lifesteal like in Imba. A man can dream.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Aether Lens is the shit. Imma buy that on Rubick all the damn time.

Also, it's a small thing and correct me if I'm wrong, but has Atos just become a situational Windranger counter for supports?

Incidentally, to answer the previous page: "neck yourself" means "hang yourself".

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »

Also, it's a small thing and correct me if I'm wrong, but has Atos just become a situational Windranger counter for supports?

Incidentally, to answer the previous page: "neck yourself" means "hang yourself".

I honestly cannot tell if the Atos thing means it gives you 40% less miss chance if you have a debuff/target has a buff, or if it gives you only a 40% chance to hit. I cannot parse the text.

• Options
    I've heard it's: Roll 40%. If you win, you hit the target. If you fail, roll to hit normally.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    Now when dudes get mad they'll cover their base in trees instead of buying couriers.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Musicool wrote: »

I honestly cannot tell if the Atos thing means it gives you 40% less miss chance if you have a debuff/target has a buff, or if it gives you only a 40% chance to hit. I cannot parse the text.

You know how Sniper had a 40% chance to have True Strike with headshot?

It's like that.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    In all seriousness, the Atos change is actually a really clever way to fix two problems.

The first problem is that Atos isn't used that much; it's not flashy and it doesn't "counter" anybody for pubs, and it's not all that viable competitively.

The second problem is that there's been a huge rise in ease of access to evasion, especially due to solar crest, but there's no real counter for it.

So you make Atos into a cheap item that weakens evasion! This gives Atos some niche counters for pubs and makes it a much more solid competitive pickup.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Now when dudes get mad they'll cover their base in trees instead of buying couriers.

The happy tree has a short lifetime, they expire in a couple seconds.

• Options
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Jakorian wrote: »

The happy tree has a short lifetime, they expire in a couple seconds.

You just need to be really quick about replanting them.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I 100% want to see people carrying GG branches so that they can instantly drop down a line-of-sight blocker that they can get a juke with (surely after which they will declare in all chat, "GG"). Timbersaw carrying GG branches so that he can get a guaranteed pure damage Q in an open field. Windrunner suddenly making anybody chasing her back the hell off because there's a goddamn tree she can latch you with. People running into the woods and then blocking off pursuers with a tree and then TPing away. Being an invisible character and griefing an enemy jungle camp pulls by plopping a tree down in a crucial spot. Hiding near the trees for a gank by putting a tree to cover you while other units give you vision.

Being able to plop down trees is the best. I hope there's a way to stack a bunch of branches such that they don't give any bigger stat bonus but create a larger clump of tree.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."