As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wisdom teeth (aftermath)

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
While I understand there is going to be pain and such during recovery, I'd it normal for my whole gum line to become puffy and sensitive? I keep feeling like there's food stuck in my teeth but there is not.

Also I feel like there are a bunch of little cuts on my tongue and roof of my mouth. I can see one on the tongue, actually.

Is this all normal stuff? Google had trouble giving me a direct answer.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I remember the feeling of food stuck in my teeth from when I had my wisdom teeth out, as a result of the swollen gums I think.

But feeling like there are a bunch of little cuts doesn't sound familiar. If you're really worried, maybe call the dentist/oral surgeon or whatever who did it? They should have a nurse or a receptionist or someone who can give you some information as to what to expect after getting 4 teeth ripped out of your jaw.

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    Take your Percocets.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I think they may be ulcers. Not sure from what, but apparently not uncommon.

Also stupid question. I'm told I grind my teeth when I sleep and lost my nightguard awhile back. Should I make getting a new one a priority or is there anything even left there to grind? I ask because I always have a lot more pain and blood after I wake up, but I figured that's just the pain killer wearing off and blood ooze building up. Also percocet does NOTHING for sore throats.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    ...a sore throat probably shouldn't be a factor. You may want to see your doctor to make sure you don't have some kind of infection.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I think they may be ulcers. Not sure from what, but apparently not uncommon.

Also stupid question. I'm told I grind my teeth when I sleep and lost my nightguard awhile back. Should I make getting a new one a priority or is there anything even left there to grind? I ask because I always have a lot more pain and blood after I wake up, but I figured that's just the pain killer wearing off and blood ooze building up. Also percocet does NOTHING for sore throats.

The pain when you wake up is the painkillers wearing off. I would still make getting a new night guard a priority though just to protect your other teeth from grinding.

• Options
    I had an infection in my wisdom teeth, thus why I got them removed. I'm on antibiotics already. Sorry I didn't mention this - the sore throat predated the surgery.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Also do you have and stitches or anything after getting them removed? If so, that might be what's irritating your tongue.

• Options
    Not sure. I was kinda rushed out.

@The Crowing One
    I've been taking my pain medication, also, but since I only have 30 I wanna make sure they last just in case - I've read pain can go up to two weeks in some cases.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    *raises hand* I was one of those two-week people! Wisdom teeth removal just hits some people harder than other s(despite what "I FELT GREAT A DAY LATER" people will tell you.)
    But yeah, for these particular concerns call or get someone else to call the place that extracted them for you. They don't mind!

In fact, my mom had to call them after my surgery back when I got my wisdom teeth taken out. And the folks at the dental surgery office were super helpful.

(I couldn't stop throwing up. Which is where they gave my mom the advice, "MAKE her EAT something." Which SOUNDED crazy, but actually worked. So yeah, my point is, those folk are helpful. )

sig.gif
  • Options
    Thanks @Lovely. I'll check in with them if I feel like symptoms are getting worse over time. I just don't wanna be jump some proverbial gun.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I had all 4 removed in a day and I was out for a week. I was taking a horse sized bottle of Percocet and ate soup, after the first week it was just sore. It was one of the worst weeks of my life.

• Options
    I'm on roughly day 4. Throat has stopped hurting and the sockets themselves are pretty alright. However gums in general are very sensitive and I still have ulcers all over my mouth. Hope they heal soon, I'd like to have something more substantial to eat.

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    I have had all my wisdom teeth out, and used to work for a Dental Insurance company, your mileage may vary.

If you are getting anywhere close to being low on your pain pills, don't hesitate to call your Dental office and talk to them. You really don't want to find yourself going to the E.R. on Thanksgiving. Your level of pain is not off the charts, but I would keep a close eye on it. I would probably call and just talk to someone about the ulcers. There might be a simple solution to help you take care of that.

Also, from personal experience, Sometimes to get the tooth out, the Doc will break the tooth. Sometimes bits and pieces of the tooth get left behind. The gums will heal over these tooth shards, but your gums will also still repel them, so don't be too surprised if you have little bits of tooth that rupture through your gums (This will also make your gums sore)

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I'm on roughly day 4. Throat has stopped hurting and the sockets themselves are pretty alright. However gums in general are very sensitive and I still have ulcers all over my mouth. Hope they heal soon, I'd like to have something more substantial to eat.

Magus, remember, you just has someone holding your mouth open and digging around in there with metal objects. If they weren't particularly careful, they likely scratched up your gums and tongue, which will result in the ulcers you feel. Think of it like skinning a knee. But in your mouth. Not dangerous, but damn if it doesn't sting!

Keep your eye on the sockets and your jaw itself, if THOSE start hurting get them checked out. As someone who DID end up in the ER after an infected wisdom tooth socket, I can't stress that enough.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.