As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Question regarding making gold.

After a session in the Silverwastes I open all my bags, and break down the greens and blues for mats.

For my yellow stuff - am I better off selling them directly, for around 30s each, or break them down for ecto and sell that instead ?
    I use a mystic salvage kit, if that's a factor in regards to cost ?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

After a session in the Silverwastes I open all my bags, and break down the greens and blues for mats.

For my yellow stuff - am I better off selling them directly, for around 30s each, or break them down for ecto and sell that instead ?

Generally speaking you want to break them down for ectos. If the base rare sells for more than 2 ectos it's worth selling as is but I don't think I've ever gotten a rare that sells for that much.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    If you're going to PAX West this year, I'm going to be in the Diversity Lounge from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM every day. You will know it is me because I will be wearing a cool pleather vest with lots of pins over my Enforcer shirt, also, I am cute and have red hair and a nice hat. Feel free to say hi if you're going!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular

Generally speaking you want to break them down for ectos. If the base rare sells for more than 2 ectos it's worth selling as is but I don't think I've ever gotten a rare that sells for that much.

I've always used > 1 ecto for selling rather than salvage.

• Options
    Leandriell wrote: »

Looking at data some more, it looks like there's around an 85% chance to get an ecto out of a rare so I don't know where the 2 ecto guideline came from. Ecto prices fluctuate a bit though and a stack or less of ectos can be held onto for a while until the price peaks.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    REMINDER:
    GUILD MISSIONS SURVEY TIME

In light of a few recent discussions, we'd like to check out potential changes to our guild missions schedule to deconflict with TTS's EU Raid Training.

If you're at all interested in guild missions, please take the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/598QG29

Changes based on this will likely happen THIS WEEK. Please get your response in by this time tomorrow so we can be sure all have their say!

• Options

Looking at data some more, it looks like there's around an 85% chance to get an ecto out of a rare so I don't know where the 2 ecto guideline came from. Ecto prices fluctuate a bit though and a stack or less of ectos can be held onto for a while until the price peaks.

I guess I'll judge it on a per case basis then.

I bought 2000 gems for my second account last night, so that's nicely set up.

I have a shared slot with a copper-o-matic robot to break down my chest loot. As the XP boxes come in over the month, I'll gradually level up one character at a time, so they start getting high level crafting stuff from their loot, while keeping 3 at 21 to harvest silver doubloons, for cash.

I also spent 50 gold last night buying all the last parts I need to get my 15 dredmore steel, so I can finally make Gift of Blades, to upgrade my spinal backpiece. Never spent that much before, but since my second account has made 30g so far, I felt I could justify it.

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular

I guess I'll judge it on a per case basis then.

http://gw.zweistein.cz/gw2ecto/

• Options
    Based on the results of the survey, we're going to TRIAL running missions one and a half hours earlier, aka 10.30PST/6.30pm UK

We'll give it a few weeks - if folks are inconvenienced by this time change on any particular week, please send me a message by in game mail or here so I can keep track, we may end up shifting again.

Sorry to those who requested NA-specific times, we don't have the numbers to run 2 lots of missions/week.

As always Treks can and will be popped by any officer at any time. If you want other missions activating (e.g, you can solo Rush, but need an officer present to hit 'go'), we may be able to help.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Looking through legendary weapons, I actually like some of the precursor skins better than the finished legendary. Prototype and the Hunter are both awesome guns with a steampunk vibe, Rodgort is a beautiful torch, and the Legend is gorgeous.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Would any fine and NICE guildies please shoot me a reinvite for Longthought.7965? Legion just really didn't fit my palate, so I'm going to give ye olden Asura Mesmer another shot and some company would be lovely.

• Options
    Would any fine and NICE guildies please shoot me a reinvite for Longthought.7965? Legion just really didn't fit my palate, so I'm going to give ye olden Asura Mesmer another shot and some company would be lovely.

Done!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Got it. Thanks much!

• Options
    I bought a second copy of GW2 last month, in order to park characters at chests, selling loot and selling various things from the daily login rewards.

At the end of my first month, they've brought in 63 gold !

Most of this is from selling silver doubloons, converting laurels to T6 mats and selling them, and selling mystic forge coins.

I also made extra cash selling some stuff from opening Black Lion chests with keys I got doing the story missions to get to 21.

I'm tempted to wait for the next sale and buy some more character slots, it's a very stress free way to bring in some extra gold.

Hell, 5 more months and I can afford a legendary precursor. :)

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I can't stop myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIBTg7q9oNc

Serious though:
    Episode 1 saw That Guy, will Episode 2 give us the Door of Komalie, the specter of the Totally Not Evil Guy from GW1 Prophicies? Titans?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I'm quite excited by this - I wasn't a fan of Heart of Thorns (liked the story, hated the maps) but for some reason I'm really enjoying the bloodstone fens. I like the events, and really like the upgraded gliding.

I really hope episode 2 is of the same quality.

I'll spend tomorrow in the Fens, I think, as I really need to level my glider...

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Remember to have mastery points ready for the glut of xp you get. I'm now maxed on all the HoT stuff except the Raid tracks, and now wasting XP because I can't progress those without beating a boss first :P

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Remember to have mastery points ready for the glut of xp you get. I'm now maxed on all the HoT stuff except the Raid tracks, and now wasting XP because I can't progress those without beating a boss first :P

Yeah, I've actually just realised I need to go back to HoT and grab a bunch of Mastery points - I need about 10 to max out gliding.

I'm not looking forward to it.

• Options
    I finally made my Gift of Blades, to make my very first Ascended armour piece !
    psj19hipzjpx.jpg

They're surprisingly cute, considering how many blades went into making them...

• Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    Yes, that backpack is a cut above the rest.

What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    Sigh. I'm at the point where I need to start really farming for gold if I want to get nice things in this game :\

So what's the most efficient, BUT also least boring way to get gold right now? I assume there's always Tarir Multimapping* and grinding Silverwastes, but is there anything that's less, y'know, dull?

* For those that don't know, Tarir Multimapping is when you jump between completed Tarir instances to open as many Grand and Great Exalted Chests as possible before time runs out. Some people even only do the Grand chests as they seem to think it's more efficient; everyone agrees however that you should ignore regular chests. The last I checked, this was the most profitable and efficient way to get a lot of cash very quickly.

• Options
    Sigh. I'm at the point where I need to start really farming for gold if I want to get nice things in this game :\

So what's the most efficient, BUT also least boring way to get gold right now? I assume there's always Tarir Multimapping* and grinding Silverwastes, but is there anything that's less, y'know, dull?

* For those that don't know, Tarir Multimapping is when you jump between completed Tarir instances to open as many Grand and Great Exalted Chests as possible before time runs out. Some people even only do the Grand chests as they seem to think it's more efficient; everyone agrees however that you should ignore regular chests. The last I checked, this was the most profitable and efficient way to get a lot of cash very quickly.

Tier 4 fractals are really good for money.

Cashing in unbound magic for materials to sell is potentially profitable.

Dungeon runs also are viable now with the repeatable achievement.

Steam Profile
  • Options

In my experience, the best way to get a whole bunch of gold is to never spend any. Want a thing? Don't buy it. Need gear for an alt? No, you don't. Shiny new thing? Not for you!

Sadly they removed the ability to bank gold, so the only way to keep your gold out of your hands right now is to have personal bank guild and keep it there. Pretty sure I wouldn't have Bifrost if they had removed bank gold before I got it, I don't know how I would have kept myself from spending it otherwise. I didn't even *start* my dye collection until I was done with it (and I don't just mean rare dyes, I didn't even have all the blue/green quality dyes at that point). I just didn't spend any gold on anything other than waypoints and repairs for 6 months and TA-DA, I was done. Should be even easier now with login rewards and 2 gold a day from dailies. Pick a thing that interests you and do it. Back in my day (*old lady voice*) there was pretty much just world bosses and Orr farming. You have way more options now, just rotate through everything you like and don't let yourself get burned out. Also, sell your stuff. You probably have a lot of value sitting in your crafting materials tab, sell it all off. Consider cashing in some laurels, too.

I can't really bring myself to grind for stuff. Fortunately, nearly any activity in this game will yield profit at *some* rate. Do stuff, don't spend gold, and it'll pile up.

• Options

T4 fractals with a reasonable group. Can usually do all three in < 1hr.

• Options

T4 fractals with a reasonable group. Can usually do all three in < 1hr.

Now if only you ever were on at a reasonable hour for the rest of us!

Pugging T4s usually isn't too bad mind. People generally know what they're doing if they've devoted the time and resources to make it that far. Still some exceptions for certain parts that are different from earlier tiers.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Downloading the free part of the game, if i dig it i might end up getting heart of thorns. Dont have an ingame name yet will up date this post when i do. Cholbain is my chracters name. Engineer

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I don't have enough AR for T4 fracs.

Okay, so, is Fungus Among Us one of the GODDAMNED IMPOSSIBLE Adventures? Because I looked at a video for how to do it, and it seems to involve supernatural knowledge of the exact lengths of the mushroom jumps, and the ability to time double jumps in midair, which I can't do. Unfortunately, I need silver or better on that mission to get H.O.P.E.

@naengwen , you made H.O.P.E., how the FUCK do I get Fungus Among Us?

*e* oh christ, you need Haywire Punch-O-Matic Silver too? Isn't that the one that's literally impossible or something?

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It needs practice, but it's very doable. It's a lot like learning a route in a racing game; you start getting the hang of it more after a few goes.

I think someone has gotten gold in all of the adventures now, so none of them are as impossible as they were on HoT launch.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

Okay, so, is Fungus Among Us one of the GODDAMNED IMPOSSIBLE Adventures? Because I looked at a video for how to do it, and it seems to involve supernatural knowledge of the exact lengths of the mushroom jumps, and the ability to time double jumps in midair, which I can't do. Unfortunately, I need silver or better on that mission to get H.O.P.E.

*e* oh christ, you need Haywire Punch-O-Matic Silver too? Isn't that the one that's literally impossible or something?

For Fungus Among Us, the trick is learning to use the ability that you have to hit twice (first time puts you on your head, second time launches you into the air a good distance). It's weird and won't ever really feel right, but just practice it (not by running the course, just by standing there hitting it a lot until it works). You are absolutely correct that you cannot get silver without this ability, so learn it. It sucks but just practice until it's not impossible any more.

For Haywire, they nerfed it and it's not really hard at all now. Get close to a group, use your ability that gathers them up, and then just punch over and over. Your most basic attack has its own momentum and will kind of create a little ball of chak in front of you as they are pushed along by your punching. Just punch them into each other until there's a gap between them, then use the movement ability to get to the next group and repeat.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular

The trick with fungus among us is mastering the 2nd jump on your 2 skill, which lets you outright skip chunks of the course if applied correctly. Basically imagine using the unnerfed engineer rocket jump, but you have to time it as well. Once you have that down, getting the HOPE requisite is cake. Haywire's been nerfed crazily so you should be able to get by just running up to huge groups and spamming your 1-2 punch combo now.

• Options
    Draeven wrote: »
    Downloading the free part of the game, if i dig it i might end up getting heart of thorns. Dont have an ingame name yet will up date this post when i do. Cholbain is my chracters name. Engineer

We need your account name, it'll look something like myawesomename.1234 if you'd like a guild invite.

• Options
    Re: Adventures...

the Ley Line run. I know EXACTLY how it's supposed to work, and I might even have fun... except that whether or not the little golden boosts work seems 100% random. They must have teeny tiny collision detection or something because it seems like 50% of the time they just dump me into the dirt and I lose.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Fungus was one that took me a while, but eventually Golded by doing exactly what everybody else said... perfect the headstand>superjump. This video is the one I followed for watching where to use it... I didn't run quite this perfectly (I NEVER successfully made the jump between start and checkpoint 1 that this guy does) but I followed this path as a rule of thumb and made it.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular

We need your account name, it'll look something like myawesomename.1234 if you'd like a guild invite.

Draeven.5316

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    I guess on the bright side, this gives me more Mastery points, which I need badly to round out those last few bits of Nuhoch mastery.

• Options

Draeven.5316

Sent! To accept, hit G to bring up your guild interface, then hit "Accept". Then if you want to get guild bonuses, hit "Represent" (You can be in up to 5 guilds at the same time, but only Represent one at a time). To go to the Guild Hall, hit the button in the upper right hand corner. We have full tavern buffs and gathering (not sure if you can use those without HoT, but in case you get it). Welcome!

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Based on the results of the survey, we're going to TRIAL running missions one and a half hours earlier, aka 10.30PST/6.30pm UK

We'll give it a few weeks - if folks are inconvenienced by this time change on any particular week, please send me a message by in game mail or here so I can keep track, we may end up shifting again.

Sorry to those who requested NA-specific times, we don't have the numbers to run 2 lots of missions/week.

As always Treks can and will be popped by any officer at any time. If you want other missions activating (e.g, you can solo Rush, but need an officer present to hit 'go'), we may be able to help.

New time seemed fine. Thanks for hand holding the couple of us who were a little rusty, it was a fun time.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    If y'all weren't aware, ArenaNet has been doing some cute short stories on their blog based on some characters they created with help from the audience at MomoCon. These stories aren't earth-shattering lore revelations, but they do provide some flavor and background, and there are a few interesting tidbits to be gleaned. Also, they're cute.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/tyrian-travels-chapter-one/

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/tyrian-travels-chapter-two/

We've learned a few small things from the most recent post relevant to the larger world...
    1. The Asura of Mabon Market are thinking of researching the Fire Islands. This is interesting, because that krewe mostly studies the local Skritt, so it's possible that they're going to study the Fire Island Skritt we've heard about.

2. the mainland Soundless were in fact no more vulnerable to Moredremoth than anyone else not in the Maguuma proper -- Aerin may have been grabbed due to a combination of both being Soundless AND being generally a troubled fellow. However, they're still blamed for the Pact crash, there are many rumors about them, and there's an implication that they've been attacked recently.

*edit* Another interesting thing I just realized...
    That Asura krewe is stationed in the Ruins of the Unseen. Maybe they've discovered something..?

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I play Valenon Oakborn, a Sylvari Elementalist, you may or may not have seen him around. Anyways, I built and geared him ages ago now as a healer/tank, but it's been so long that I'm sure the way to accomplish that goal has changed quite a bit. So I was wondering if anyone knew any good builds for a Staff Elementalist?

Oh right, here's his current build and loadout. You can tell how long ago it was that I set him up because it was back when having multiple Rune sets was big. :D

This discussion has been closed.