As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Media Creation or how I learned to edit video and cast a pod

124»

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of any good Audacity tutorials?

I really need to reduce my editing time

Specifically relating to easy/quick noise identification and removal

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    2cz0tdokp8gw.gif
    Morning well spent.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    @Chance and I did a thing, based mostly on information from this thread. Be gentle, it's our first time.

http://shoutengine.com/ChamberlainandChance/year-in-review-2015-14657

Aside from not re-recording my flubbed intro I think it turned out OK. Noise reduction in Audacity is a God send, though it was not able to filter out the sound that was leaking out of my headset. I ended up muting my track for most of the time that I was not talking to remove the echo.

Lesson learned: do not do sound editing on a laptop touch pad. My hand still hurts.

• Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I liked the sound quality of the podcast. Very clear! :)

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hello. In honor of Star Wars, I want to stream Rogue Leader, except my crappy DVC100 is terribly sucky at everything. Anybody know of an alternative for inputting RCA composite and audio into a PC?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Today Handbrake turned a 5GB+ .MOV file into a less than 200MB .MP4 file.

I have no idea what happened. It looks fine. It sounds fine. Every fiber of my being is screaming that something is wrong.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Oh, this thread! I've spent just over 3 weeks making videos that haven't gone public because I've been getting a feel for things on both sides of recording, but I'm just about finished with my first actual LP that I'll be putting up next week, so I'm pretty excited about that! I've still got plenty of improvement to come, but I think I'm over the initial uncomfortable steps which was the goal for this practice time, so I'm happy.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Does anyone have any experience with OBS' settings? I had my first recording desync yesterday and I'm trying to figure out a) how to avoid it in future, and b) if I can do much to correct what I've already recorded. My game and audio captures (OBS and Audacity respectively) have been consistent and fine all along, but I've added in a webcam recently and the first two recordings (also in OBS, using a second window) with that also had no problems. Then last night I did more, with a repositioned camera and I disabled its audio capture (since I don't need it twice), and loading them into Premiere showed that the webcam capture effectively turned out longer than the other two. I understand it's likely a bitrate thing, but I really know very little about that so need to learn in a hurry.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    So I recorded a podcast using Zencastr yesterday, and it went really really well. It automatically synced both audio tracks of the podcast, recorded directly from the browser, and uploaded everything to my dropbox when all was said and done. Very convenient service, highly recommended.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Today Handbrake turned a 5GB+ .MOV file into a less than 200MB .MP4 file.

I have no idea what happened. It looks fine. It sounds fine. Every fiber of my being is screaming that something is wrong.

Handbrake is some sort of wizard.

darleysam wrote: »
    Oh, this thread! I've spent just over 3 weeks making videos that haven't gone public because I've been getting a feel for things on both sides of recording, but I'm just about finished with my first actual LP that I'll be putting up next week, so I'm pretty excited about that! I've still got plenty of improvement to come, but I think I'm over the initial uncomfortable steps which was the goal for this practice time, so I'm happy.

Looking forward to seeing what you got!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I've been plugging along with my Tales of Zestiria LP. It's taking forever at 30-min episodes though, so I;m considering bumping them up to 45 so I can finish this game before I die.

A friend has joined me to LP Super Mario RPG together, that just started. It feels so much nicer to have someone to talk to again. It's way easier to get that dialogue flowing when you're not talking to yourself.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Well then! My third video actually went up a few hours ago, and my new signature is a link to my channel. I'd be happy to embed them here, but don't want to be pushing up against the self-promotion rules.

edit: yeah for now I'm just doing mine solo because that's really the only option I've got, but I know a few people who'd be interested in doing something together. I've always felt that I work better with someone else to bounce off, so now I'm worried that if I do that and it goes well, I won't want to go back to just me.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    So I recorded a podcast using Zencastr yesterday, and it went really really well. It automatically synced both audio tracks of the podcast, recorded directly from the browser, and uploaded everything to my dropbox when all was said and done. Very convenient service, highly recommended.

Wow, this actually sounds potentially awesome. I might have to give it a try with my podcast if it really eliminates the legwork of synching multiple tracks together.

Does it let you edit the recording afterward to insert music and such?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    So I've not yet identified the cause of my desync problem, but I have at least been able to salvage the affected recordings by making gentle use of Premiere Elements' Time Remapping feature. I synched and trimmed both the audio and video so the start and end matched up (but repositioned between obviously because the video's longer), then got the length of the audio in seconds, and remapped the video so that it matched. It's saved a lot of stress, I can tell you.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

Wow, this actually sounds potentially awesome. I might have to give it a try with my podcast if it really eliminates the legwork of synching multiple tracks together.

Does it let you edit the recording afterward to insert music and such?

So you cannot edit the files on the site itself, but you can download the audio and edit it in Audacity/Garageband/etc., either as a processed synced version, or as individual tracks (which will be the same length, so as soon as you import them into Audacity they'll be perfectly synced).

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I made another Battlefront vid, this time trying new things with text, audio, and even reversing/looping footage. Had fun with this and still have enough footage for another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5y6v2cMETI

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Okay, because I'm quite pleased with how it came out, I'll put up my one that went up yesterday -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlBOwvMeSzU&feature=youtu.be&a

edit: although the more I look at that thumbnail, the more I wish I'd done a better job on it!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I'm involved in the development of a short at the moment, it's still early stages, there's some under water stuff (3-5 set ups) which I've been researching and unsurprisingly it seems like a whole can of worms. But I don't want to rule it out yet, anyone got any experience/advice for filming under water?

• Options
    Is it worth getting a podcast listed on iTunes? Right now all of mine are on Shoutengine and the 'list in iTunes' button is taunting me.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is it worth getting a podcast listed on iTunes? Right now all of mine are on Shoutengine and the 'list in iTunes' button is taunting me.

Yes

If nothing else it makes giving directions to your podcast very easy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    and (as far as i can tell, because getting itunes metrics is dark magic) itunes drives pretty decent traffic your way

i seem to get a lot of plays from it (i think)

• Options
    Cool, thanks for the info, I will give it a shot.