As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Forza Horizon 3 - It only races everything:
    CWaCedD.jpg

http://imgur.com/gallery/mB55e 8-)

(^Atmospheric FH3 screenshots that evoke the feeling of other racing/car games, credit should go to the keen eye of a user called 'EYuiS'.)

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    only makes me want a new Outrun that much more.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Here's a stupid question.
    How do I make a car not take so long to shift up in automatic? I've got a Viper SRT10 ACR Horizon Edition I wanna use, but every time it hits the end of first or 2nd gear (so. immediately) it skids wildly out of control, usually off to one side like one half the car isn't working, and takes forever to upshift. Is it a RWD thing? Or is it a problem with how long it's taking to shift?

And no, I'm not gonna go to manual lol. This game is hard enough already.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    How do I make a car not take so long to shift up in automatic? I've got a Viper SRT10 ACR Horizon Edition I wanna use, but every time it hits the end of first or 2nd gear (so. immediately) it skids wildly out of control, usually off to one side like one half the car isn't working, and takes forever to upshift. Is it a RWD thing? Or is it a problem with how long it's taking to shift?

Changing the length of the gears should change how automatic shifts. Assuming it has a race gearbox, go into tuning and shorten (aka move the slider towards acceleration) for the offending gears. That may help, but you'll still be dealing with a lot of power going through the rear wheels. Best option is usually taking it easy on throttle until you get into higher gears.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

The answer is to put AWD on all cars at all times. Also what Bloodsheed said.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    FalvesFalves Registered User regular

The answer is to put AWD on all cars at all times. Also what Bloodsheed said.

Like they said, AWD solves every torque steer issue, unless you want to do it the challenging way: treat the acceleration trigger like you'd treat a pedal: don't slam it, push (pull) it gradually.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Is that seriously a trailer for a trailer? That's just dumb. I'm not getting excited for this until I see some actual footage and apparently they're loathe to preview anything.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    The trailer for a trailer is an opportunity to film yourself reacting to the trailer for a trailer so that they can build anticipation for the trailer which you will film yourself reacting to which will build anticipation for an actual product?

I dunno. I'm old. I don't understand these things or why they turn up here.

• Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Is that seriously a trailer for a trailer? That's just dumb. I'm not getting excited for this until I see some actual footage and apparently they're loathe to preview anything.
    Not trying to nitpick, but just to let you know, the word you're looking for is 'loath'.

Someone is loath, or they loathe something.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    ebotastic wrote: »
    Not trying to nitpick, but just to let you know, the word you're looking for is 'loath'.

Not to nitpick, but that was pretty much the definition of nitpick.

• Options

I don't know. I've picked some nits in my time, Arctic. You would have to be awfully nitpicky to call what I did the picking of nits.

Nitpicker.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

They started doing this for movies a couple years back, and it's only gotten worse over time

It's most egregious when they use it as a method to make up for a complete lack of promotional content (or content of any kind, really)

• Options

I don't know. I've picked some nits in my time, Arctic. You would have to be awfully nitpicky to call what I did the picking of nits.

Nitpicker.

It would be more helpful to all of us if you devoted as much effort to delivering as you do picking.

Be more like X.

• Options

Nitpicker.

Yes, but I didn't make the same claim regarding the lack of nitpicking I was about to pick nits over. <3

• Options

Nitpicker.
    Yes, but I didn't make the same claim regarding the lack of nitpicking I was about to pick nits over. <3
    :confused:
    It would be more helpful to all of us if you devoted as much effort to delivering as you do picking.

Be more like X.
    Sorry, I was waiting for you to get it on your own.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options

Nitpicker.
    :confused:

I just want you to know that I would bold for emphasis your emoji if the internet would let me.

• Options

Be more like X.
    Sorry, I was waiting for you to get it on your own.

I ain't got it so you can't get it.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Let's just leave it at that, cuz I ain't wit' it.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    oh fuck that looks good. near the end there when they decide to just drive off the mountain course and just go down the mountain

god damn

edit - wait this actually came out today? oh fuuuuuuuck

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    oh fuck that looks good. near the end there when they decide to just drive off the mountain course and just go down the mountain

god damn

edit - wait this actually came out today? oh fuuuuuuuck
    In 46 minutes it will.

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    It is out now. Heads up, the patch/expansion is 2.9GB.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    They've got Ekberg streaming on some service called Beam, and it starts off with him reading some promo material about how they're partnered with Pizza Hut this holiday season blah blah. Ugh. Then he drives to the airport where you can teleport to Blizzard Mountain... and ! MARKETPLACE ERROR. He'd installed it and everything but he can't load it or go into it. Hahahaha. Classic.

Loathe/loath pretty interesting actually.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    hey Porsche apparently has officially aborted their EA exclusivity deal, maybe some day we won't have to pay for a porsche pack.

• Options
    It appears the expansion is a separate 3.6GB download. If you've already bought the expansion pack and it's giving you marketplace errors, go to Manage Game on Horizon 3 and you should be able to start the Blizzard Mountain download/install from there.

• Options
    Meanwhile, I'm downloading a 4.09 GB update. :rotate:

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Played a bit of the expansion during lunch.

Shit is bananas yall.

• Options
    I see Australia has some magical deciduous trees that keep their leaves in winter.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    well, have fun with FH3 then, I'm not buying the expansion after the storm island clusterfuck, so won't be able to play anymore.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    what was wrong with Storm Island?

Also what the fuck was in the patch just now, PC downloaded 3ish gigs, then I had to go into eh game, drive to mountain plane spot and it was all BURB, GOTTA INSTALL THE EXPANSION, cue new 4gig download.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    well, have fun with FH3 then, I'm not buying the expansion after the storm island clusterfuck, so won't be able to play anymore.

...the rest of the game is still there. Like, you aren't locked from the normal FH3.

• Options
    edited December 2016

...the rest of the game is still there. Like, you aren't locked from the normal FH3.

He means being able to play with us online on Tuesday/Thursday. Knight if you are around on some of those nights I'm sure we could convince people to not play Candy Mountain.

Edit: I thought someone said if you have the ultimate edition you get the expansion for half off? I'm not seeing that anywhere online.
    I found an article saying that but when I try and purchase it from the xbox live website it doesn't give me a discount.
    I guess I'll just have to purchase it from the console when I get home.

CommunistCow on
  • Options

He means being able to play with us online on Tuesday/Thursday. Knight if you are around on some of those nights I'm sure we could convince people to not play Candy Mountain.

Edit: I thought someone said if you have the ultimate edition you get the expansion for half off? I'm not seeing that anywhere online.
    I found an article saying that but when I try and purchase it from the xbox live website it doesn't give me a discount.
    I guess I'll just have to purchase it from the console when I get home.

Ultimate Edition owners get $10 off the Expansion Pack, not the individual expansions.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    *presses buy button*
    "Failed to download required marketplace data. Please try again later."

Yep. Seems about right.

Edit: Just saw this:
    Eclibull wrote:
    If you've already bought the expansion pack and it's giving you marketplace errors, go to Manage Game on Horizon 3 and you should be able to start the Blizzard Mountain download/install from there.

That is super intuitive.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    "my credit card expired so I couldn't buy the pack. I give this piece of shit 1 star"

pretty much the reviews in the marketplace for this expansion right now.

• Options
    Online Blizzard Mountain was a lot of fun, look forward to when we get more people's download issues settled.

For those that bailed before I got my way we tried out the Playground maps on the mountain, both seem like they could be really fun. The non-X-Large Frozen Lake (so just the Lake, not the town) is a hilarious display of Three-Stooge-Style tag while the Snow Park is a really technical-yet-jumpy place for chases and should provide some fun escapes. It's interesting that the two playgrounds are so very different than the mainland sites in a way that addresses one of our most common complaints (almost no object clutter in the new sites). Flag Rush is still Flag Rush, though.

Outside the Storm-Island-ness of the weather (one race without a blinding blizzard, just one, please, driving into the pure gray nothingness is fun, but not every race), really digging the expansion's online and really curious to see what kind of cars do best. Like Ebo said last night, it is very possible that this is where handling cars come into their own and compete with pure power, since it seems like the majority of routes really reward better control and punish the straight-line-speed (tight switchbacks on a cliffside, for example), not to mention the Snow (Rally/Offroad) Tires being damn near required while eating up PI that can't just be dumped into go-fast. There are still straights, but it felt better balanced.

Single player is also pretty great, some of these in-race challenges to get 3 stars from them can get tough.

• Options
    Maybe I'm a sick bastard but I actually like driving in the blizzards and didn't mind them. Though, as discussed, I have full race line turned on. The falling snow doesn't seem to actually affect track conditions or anything. And the falling snow effect is easier to see through than dust.

Night blizzards are the best though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aacMKKbGTPc

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Single player is also pretty great, some of these in-race challenges to get 3 stars from them can get tough.

I like the idea of race objectives, but some of the 3-star ones are insufferable, stuff like get n sideswipes or drifts, where you have to go out of your way to drive worse and make things unnecessarily harder for yourself just for that star. I was trying to grind some uphill climb event that would've been cake if it wasn't for the 35 drifts requirements, before I went fuck it and turned the AI difficulty down one notch.

I suppose that's precisely the challenge, but eh, I guess there's a limit to when I stop finding the chase fun.

• Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I got Forza Horizon 3 when it was on sale during the black Friday sales. Mind if I join the PA club?