As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Kestrel, I don't know if your son knows this but Rubbin is Racin man! He needs to get in on them other kids!

(this is super neat)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Kestrel1Kestrel1 falco sparverius Noblesville, INRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Kestrel, I don't know if your son knows this but Rubbin is Racin man!

That's not always the best idea in open-wheel racing. Just a little bit of wheel hop gets you stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwYavKAMgc

This weekend one of the kids in Buddy's class hopped a wheel, flipped 1 1/2 times, and slammed into the pit barrier where all the handlers were standing, bottom first, at about 30 MPH. I've never seen people jump out of the way of something that fast in my life.

As a testament to these vehicles and the safety equipment, the kid was OK and even put his car back on the track to finish the race after some quick repairs.

We are working on trying to get him to be a little more aggressive in his passing, but then I watched his footage from his Brickyard lap and this pass caused my ass to pucker quite a bit. I'm a nervous wreck when he goes out for races and I try to not let him on about that, but I spend most races pacing pit road chewing my nails. The guy we bought the car from told me he threw up before every race he sent his kid out.

Kestrel1 on
    Kestrel1.png
    Mixer: Kestrel1 | Twitch: KestrelTV
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    lol amazing audio cues

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Oh that is so very nearly a Peel P50. Turn 10 also put out this to highlight the true standouts of this pack (which I may have to figure a way to fit into my budget now):
    "Best Buddies"
    https://youtu.be/pz8IWB11MQE

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Are you kidding me, racing truck and an isetta? That thing only has a single cylinder!

And checking the internet, apparently a scorching 13 horsepower. I can't wait to see what nightmarish crime you can swap into it.

edit: Oh apparently they also fixed the 2nd chicane at monza to not be totally stupid anymore and never invalidate. That's nice.

editedit: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CarbonCamaroSS/video/19530304

The internet provides. I couldn't stop laughing at work after watching this.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    wtf did that thing hit?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    wtf did that thing hit?

Physics.

(Actually I think it was a small sign... so Physics)

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Honestly, at this point, could a Reliant Robin be far behind?

Kestrel1 on
    Kestrel1.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I still want a micro/kei car pack to happen. I figure they could do an AZ-1, honda beat, suzuki cappuccino, daihatsu copen, nissan figaro, subaru sambar, and suzuki wagonR.

Also just as an aside I think it's awesome that you keep us updated with your protege's racing career

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Also just as an aside I think it's awesome that you keep us updated with your protege's racing career
    Well, if you liked that, you'll love this.

Our storage facility is evicting our race trailer because they want to build a new building, so we needed to find somewhere else to keep it (our HOA won't let us keep it in the driveway). I started looking around for another facility, but they were all full. Someone in the neighborhood suggested I talk to the folks who owned the farmhouse next to the neighborhood as they've parked RV's in the back of their barn before.

I went over to talk to them last night and they were more than happy to rent us a spot for the trailer. He then offered to clear out some space in the vehicle shed so we could set up a permanent shop. He said it was fully equipped with an air compressor, power tools, and work space. I asked what he did for a living.

He's the IndyCar team manager for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports.

Maybe they want a REALLY young development driver? ;-)

Kestrel1.png
  • Options
    It's a pity (not a surprising one, mind you, but still) the truck and the Isetta are entirely noncompetitive. Fun (and that's """Fun""" for the Isetta), but still, only works if everyone is in one. I do still want to see how the Isetta is at E275 with the stock engine.

---

One Horizon 3 bit of news that I realized no one had posted here. It appears Road Trips are gone. Online Road Trips are "replaced" with the 4-player Co-Op and the Festival layout looks to be closer in setup to Horizon 1 (drive to events, select championship/car type). That's probably both good and bad news. I know we all had a lot of fun with Online Road Trips in H2, but if we're honest, it's probably also what burnt us all out on it, with it's repetitiveness in race choices and bad class voting system. I imagine we can still replicate some of the fun bits of the road trips with Free Roam and some setup if Blueprint doesn't give us the right options.

---

For summer SBC discussion (since I kept saying I was going to post about it but just haven't been able to get the time/spoons for it). We have three or four options. I'll list them out and then we can figure what a good agreement/compromise is:

Option A: Convertible Summer Cruising
    E Class convertibles upgraded to D Class (with few if any restrictions), run on short courses.
    Car List (Starting PI):
    1967 Sunbeam Tiger (300)
    1954 Jaguar XK120 SE (286)
    1967 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL (273)
    1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Verde (259)
    1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster (253)
    1953 Chevrolet Corvette (247)
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster (225)
    1945 Jeep Willys MB (149)

Option B: Track Toys
    A Class track toys, probably with a target PI of 750.
    Car List (Starting PI):
    2014 BAC Mono (699)
    2013 KTM X-Bow R (695)
    2013 Donkervoort D8 GTO (695)
    2009 Lotus 2-Eleven (681)
    2013 Caterham Superlight R500 (676)
    2016 Jaguard F-TYPE Project 7 (642)

Option C: Formula E
    We finally give in and let Ebo have his Formula E series.
    Car List:
    *high pitched whine and road noise*

So, I wanted to try and settle this in the lobby, but it's, as always, a case of half the people wanting one of the options and being at best "okay" with the other and the other half wanting the other option and feeling the same. And also Formula E. There is a compromise I wanted to float, if we couldn't agree on something that would make everyone happy/willing to show up, which is Multi-Class but, before you all scream and rend garments, it'd be separate races. So, we do Option A+B, with one race in the D Class Convertibles and one race in the Track Toys (switching the order around each week in case people can only make the early race or the later race and to balance qualifying). That option does require everyone to build two cars.

Personally? I want to do Option A, as I think my dislike for the Track Toy cars is pretty well known. There's also the issue that I think Option B is going to be impossible to balance (to the point that I'll just say up front that I'm not even going to attempt to do so), but no one has done any testing on Option A so it might be just as bad, who knows. Still, I'd like to try and make it fun for as many of group as I can, so discuss and we'll see if we can figure something out.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I am actually very enthused about every option, but oddly I don't think I'd be satisfied with the AB Combo option... I mean, if you double the amount of cars I have to tune then you're halving the amount of effort that goes into each and I'll probably end up with two cars I want to 350GTR rather than one car I want to emblazon with waifus bac mono. I guess I'd also be fine with an AC or BC combo since with just one car being the option it's not like I'd have to worry about picking the wrong car and having a horrible hotlap sessions ahead

So I guess in summary, I endorse (A xor B) or C

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I like option A the most but I'm also fine with option B.
    Would it be possible to use the PI at the top of a class for those of us who might have less time for testing and tuning so we could download a tune? Or is that too cheaterfacey?

Also, I won't be able to make this Thursday as I'm doing something with my wife's family.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    I'd prefer the track day cars only because we've done what feels like a lot of series in D class, but I'm ok with it if people want to. Decently wide spread of cars there and there are a few things that catch my eye.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I still want a micro/kei car pack to happen. I figure they could do an AZ-1, honda beat, suzuki cappuccino, daihatsu copen, nissan figaro, subaru sambar, and suzuki wagonR.

I'm a permanent fixture if they put out a Fig.

Oh, I finally got a picture of me beside my Mini JCW hatch:

3I3CbkW.jpg

Bear is Driving on
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Wow!! Which one is yours? ;)

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Red roof about a third from the left (12th row - counted twice but there was free beer at the evening event tonight) in the middle.

Mini people are weird but it has been really nice driving.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    I finally stopped being a stubborn ass and tried Win10 exclusively because I wanted to try a new Forza.

Apex is alright and all, but how many of y'all are getting Horizon 3?

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Most/all of us afaik

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I will post something a bit later today on FM6 SBC plans, but in the meantime, Roadshow on Cnet has the exclusive for the first 150 cars revealed in Horizon 3. (Also, the WORST website design, omg). Most interesting thing I spotted from my first skim was the 2015 Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS (picture in gallery in the link), which is basically a beefed up ATV. Also looks like the Storm Island rally cars are making their return (I saw the not-so-Mini-monster in there) and we will get to see how a BAC Mono does off-road as it makes the jump from FM6. Reminder that these are the first 150 reveals, still have 200 to go before launch and it sounds like this might signal the kickoff for the usual weekly reveals ramp up.

Also saw a blurb elsewhere on something I missed: "Convoys". It sounds like this will be the actual replacement for our beloved parts of the Road Trip mechanic. The idea is you drive up to your friends (I assume in Online Freeroam), honk your horn and it starts a "Convoy", which is then a race/drive to an event somewhere in the world AKA the best part of the Road Trip, so they've got us covered.

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    Oh no, there's no Caterham. I need my stupid caterham to do sick jumps in the woods. That could get dropped which would be sad.

Though I enjoy they're pretending that the E30 M3 might not be included in the game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    The official Forza Garage for that Horizon 3 car reveal is now up here, so one doesn't have to deal with whatever passes for website design at Cnet.
    This is the previously mentioned ATV:
    dcae26b9-5a0a-4bd2-8cf0-3dd2a57fb3e2.jpg?n=PolarisRZR1000_WM_FH3_CarAnnounce_Week01.jpg

---

Okay, as mentioned, Summer SBC stuff. Since we didn't get a solid vote on one choice or the other, we'll just put up an actual vote. Please pick your first, second and third choices of what SBC options to run here. Figure we can just go with the winner by the end of the week and plan to start next week.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    That thing is going to be flipsville but I bet it's super fun. I want to drive it right now.

re: SBC, I'm ok with either of the two normal car ones so not going to vote and swing it from people who actually care. Formula E is def after that but shrug, could live with that too as long as we don't do Daytona :p

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My friend has the 700ish CC version and it is stupid fun out on the dunes. They are great machines.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Eclibull, could you have made that poll any more cute? <3

I was also solidly tempted to pick the same option all 3 times. Partly to see if I could. Partly to make you facepalm. Hopefully my just telling you this was good enough. ;D

• Options
    1. Old car stuffs
    2. Track toys
    3. horrendous formula Ebominations

• Options
    1. Old car stuffs
    2. Track toys
    3. horrendous formula Ebominations

can't tell if this an intentional sick ebo burn

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    :(

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    Yes it was. :D
    <3s

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I found a car that should be in Horizon 3. I don't think it will be, but it should be. ;P
    Excuse me while I stretch the definition of "car"
    https://youtu.be/gX8AaQcuCJY

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    I found a car that should be in Horizon 3. I don't think it will be, but it should be. ;P
    Excuse me while I stretch the definition of "car"
    https://youtu.be/gX8AaQcuCJY

Hey, the Ferret was called a Scout Car in the British Army, it should be fine. Though untangling the mess that is the Daimler rights might be a challenge.

SBC Voting Results: With the scoring of 2 points for a first choice, 1 point for a second choice and counting Knight's "Anything But Formula E" as +1 to both other choices:

Convertible Summer Cruising - 9 Points

Formula E - 6 Point

Track Toys - 5 Points

So, we shall be running this, starting this Thursday:
    Convertible Summer Cruising
    Series PI: D 400
    Car List (Starting PI):
    1967 Sunbeam Tiger (300)
    1954 Jaguar XK120 SE (286)
    1967 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL (273)
    1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio Verde (259)
    1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster (253)
    1953 Chevrolet Corvette (247)
    1980 FIAT 124 Sport Spider (238)
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster (225)
    1945 Jeep Willys MB (149)
    Banned/Required Parts: None
    Schedule: TBA

• Options
    make sure to light the acid symbol if while prepping cars for this event you spy any waifu graphics liveries

• Options
    So.... engine swaps are allowed?

• Options
    So.... engine swaps are allowed?

Yep. If you can fit it under D400, may god help you in the corners. We likely won't be doing a hell of a lot of mandatory balancing unless something is massively demanded, and even then I'm more likely to just give someone a PI boost at this level if they're falling behind the pack. If someone wants to OP their car and hotlap for an hour, *shrug*.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    wtf did that thing hit?

Late, but if it's anything like the original Mini or CRX I swapped up to R class? Hitting anything is not a requirement for takeoff.

• Options
    This week's Horizon 3 car list has been posted by the Brisbane Times. I imagine because the new cars are all Holden, behold:
    1469500486724.jpg
    1469500486724.jpg
    1469500486724.jpg

2007 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
    1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine"
    1998 Aston Martin V8 Vantage V600
    2011 Audi RS 5 Coupé
    2011 BMW X5 M
    1981 BMW M1
    1992 Bugatti EB110 Super Sport
    1970 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
    1966 Chevrolet Nova Super Sport
    2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR
    1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
    1968 Ferrari 365 GTB/4
    2011 Ferrari FF
    1978 Ford Mustang II King Cobra
    1956 Ford F-100
    1991 GMC Syclone
    2016 Holden Special Vehicles GTS Maloo (pictured above)
    1951 Holden 50-2106 FX Ute (pictured above)
    1974 Holden Sandman HQ panel van (pictured above... what the hell?)
    2012 Infiniti IPL G Coupe
    2015 Jaguar XFR-S
    1997 Lamborghini Diablo SV
    2014 Lamborghini Urus
    2014 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged
    2005 Lotus Elise 111S
    2013 Mazda MX-5
    1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II
    2013 Mercedes-Benz E 63 AMG
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR
    2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR
    2000 Nissan Silvia Spec-R
    1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    2010 Renault Megane RS 250
    2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

• Options
    Donut expect me to do anything other than the obvious with that GMC Syclone.