As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread About Consent (Potential for NSFW and triggers)

15678911»

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    But the things he's actually said have been pretty gross, I don't know how to ignore that.

Those things are recently released from unsealed court documents. Before then Cosby either said absolutely nothing or threats of suits for defamation. I'm sure his biggest defenders made their mind up long ago.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    But the things he's actually said have been pretty gross, I don't know how to ignore that.

Those things are recently released from unsealed court documents. Before then Cosby either said absolutely nothing or threats of suits for defamation. I'm sure his biggest defenders made their mind up long ago.

See also: R. Kelly

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy just liking people and respecting certain things they do

if I hold anyone up high enough, they will inevitably prove that they're human - and humans fuck up no matter how hard they try not to

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't get why people expect heroes to be infallible. Most of my heroes are heroes because of what they accomplish in spite of their flaws, not because I think they're somehow better than human.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I don't get why people expect heroes to be infallible. Most of my heroes are heroes because of what they accomplish in spite of their flaws, not because I think they're somehow better than human.

I don't get how we are talking about people thinking heroes should be infallible. I mean I guess we could characterize Cosby's massive and numerous moral failings that way but

Quire.jpg
  • Options

I don't get how we are talking about people thinking heroes should be infallible. I mean I guess we could characterize Cosby's massive and numerous moral failings that way but

The stuff people have been saying about not having heroes because it elevates people beyond the human. I disagree with that idea.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Saw this in my queue and thought of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_VexVpZhM
    How do you ask for consent?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

The stuff people have been saying about not having heroes because it elevates people beyond the human. I disagree with that idea.

As an individual, I am capable of acknowledging my personal heroes as being flawed and not being perfect while still respecting the stuff I respect about them.

As a group, people are less able to note those flaws. Three people regarding the same individual well may do so for different reasons, yet only talk about the positives without much mention of any shortcomings or provisos for that admiration. Which unfortunately leads to some people whose shit totally stinks being somehow regarded as completely constipated or as producing super valuable fertiliser. And the knock-on effect of this is that they get a "pass" where others do not. I certainly take issue with the latter, and until we can divorce individual regard from group worship, there are going to be plenty of people who justifiably take issue with it.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »

As an individual, I am capable of acknowledging my personal heroes as being flawed and not being perfect while still respecting the stuff I respect about them.

As a group, people are less able to note those flaws. Three people regarding the same individual well may do so for different reasons, yet only talk about the positives without much mention of any shortcomings or provisos for that admiration. Which unfortunately leads to some people whose shit totally stinks being somehow regarded as completely constipated or as producing super valuable fertiliser. And the knock-on effect of this is that they get a "pass" where others do not. I certainly take issue with the latter, and until we can divorce individual regard from group worship, there are going to be plenty of people who justifiably take issue with it.

Okay, yeah, I can definitely see how that is a problem on the macro level. I guess I mentally separate the concept of personal heroes from the cultural lionization of public figures as two completely independent things, and may have been misunderstanding which thing we were talking about (if, indeed, everyone was even talking about the same thing there). I certainly agree that the second thing is a problem. I was mostly responding to the Zoe Quinn quote someone posted earlier, which, in retrospect, does make a heck of a lot of sense if taken on a broader sense.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My hero is Fred Rogers.

This is a safe bet.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So this is heavy. Keep that in mind.

I'm a man. My half-sister molested me a lot when I was kid. Raped me. Used me. She was a teen at the time. Looking back, I wonder if she was reenacting trauma inflicted on her, but that maybe me trying to justify her actions. Eventually, I get older. I realize something wasn't right. I start praying to god everynight to forgive me.

Then I started to understand it.

My mother dies. I'm fourteen. I was already fucked up. Imagine how I was then.

I'm nineteen. At a party. Drunk. I'm cuddling and making out with a girl who had turned me down earlier in the evening. I start to go down on her. She says no.

And I froze.I went cold. Actually cold. I was so afraid I had hurt her. I stopped immediatly. I asked if she'd be more comfortable if I slept elsewhere. She said yes. So I went to bed alone and stared at the ceiling until I passed out.

In the morning, she was happy. And smiled at me. And told our mutual friend I was very sweet.

It was the most frightening moment of my life.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Related: I too know the feeling that goes along with gradually realizing you were sexually abused as a child, by someone who by all rights ought to be trustworthy and not predatory. It's awful, and the dawning horror is the closest feeling I can imagine to the kind of psychic terror so often described in Lovecraftian stories.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Because of how lots of dudes are regarding dating and making moves, I generally let the lady make the first move. It's not really a confidence issue, I just feel more comfortable knowing that the person is down, and I really would feel skeezy trying too hard and making someone uncomfortable. That's just me though! It's usually worked out pretty well. I may have missed some chances, but I don't mind that.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Related: I too know the feeling that goes along with gradually realizing you were sexually abused as a child, by someone who by all rights ought to be trustworthy and not predatory. It's awful, and the dawning horror is the closest feeling I can imagine to the kind of psychic terror so often described in Lovecraftian stories.

It was so odd when it actually clicked for me and I understood what happened. Telling my friends about it helped. Not sure I'll ever tell my dad.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've realized a long time ago I will never be able to comprehend some people.

Cannot comprehend stockpiling quaaludes.

Cannot comprehend wanting a submissive partner or not showing empathy or not treating them like a human being deserving of the same respect you want.

Frighting thought that those are the people you're competing with on the dating scene. That guy on the bus, the lady making your latte.

I mean, you keep thinking of the big evils, terrorism, mass murder, but the evils committed on an individual scale, one human to another, the type that don't warrant manhunts, helicopters, SWAT teams.....

• Options
    Honestly, if you set everyone on the human race on an axis from good at one end and evil on the other, I think most people would be on the good side. Bad people can just hurt good people a lot faster and in larger numbers then good people can help the bad folks to be less assholeish.

As funny as it sounds coming from a depressed agnostic who's obsessed with cosmic horror, I think most people are just people, doing the best they can and trying not to hurt one another. This isn't to say there aren't bad people, but I think most people are alright. The few evil ones, the one's who commit atrocities are just louder then the people who do small good things everyday.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    holy crap nemo I want to buy you so many large eyed stuffed animals right now

and I hate large eyed stuffed animals. seriously where the hell does that come from

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »

and I hate large eyed stuffed animals. seriously where the hell does that come from

I, uh, thanks.

You could get me this, it fits the criteria.
    tumblr_mrhcv26pNr1rb0vopo1_1280.jpg

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I, uh, thanks.

You could get me this, it fits the criteria.

tumblr_mrhcv26pNr1rb0vopo1_1280.jpg

Oh my god I want that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    It's super rad.

• Options
    that would scare the hell out of my cats

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I would send it to my nieces at this very moment......is there a matching whale so you can have fights?

• Options
    I can't sleep without holding onto something and since I'm so very alone, that squid would be perfect for nighttime cuddles.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think I saw patterns for that online

My roommate was considering making it for a Christmas present, until she remembered she would have to fly with it

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I... really need to get out more.

For some reason, the way that's positioned made me think of body pillows. I have been on the internet too long.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    is that big stuffed squid a thing that I missed? That's the second time I've seen someone post it today.

• Options
    Label wrote: »

For some reason, the way that's positioned made me think of body pillows. I have been on the internet too long.

I mean, it kind of is a body pillow. Just not, you know, not that kind.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Label wrote: »

I mean, it kind of is a body pillow. Just not, you know, not that kind.

I beg to differ

dat beak

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I can't sleep without holding onto something and since I'm so very alone, that squid would be perfect for nighttime cuddles.

Should see if your Wallymart has any of the caterpillars I got a while ago, was cheap too. spoilered for big, ( Fuzzy cat photobomb jump bonus)
    2_lVVQR4MjjrFZOWMgtTOw41tqdZoVwoqWr0pkXe4KAluLt0cbpZyOUEZLxmkhwpc1ryG_8NrWMiCl3EArGZjCtUzluUKO8vhp8C9CrjNMhAUT8LU5gnpR6d_azBtGJXCckxkDyaCdJ9QY1jdRL9vIXLvFJagcRaVDHbn9bk8ki43pBtjNoVvs6iSd8AzxgZ5oSJrr1Rv_2iCrdwU2K17pZsqI0BJoRGqRjuCzuawlGXS0i8Yt5YZh4E-fDHGlZ9yggZK2KrbaKArE56-VYt3sUQEEB3aF-2zyUp5G9dP2XmffFSyX5ttJsW_K1DMmvAPBuo_6RQn0iOqVIPhNZHJsGKg9geHweXuhM8h9sX4dYtj5hzjl5W4LL_JInc9FCR7_cPiBWx4C-Eu2i6l6P7mxoBUSHCD3nMNxVNiMtebr3hdTsRcTnR7rRpP6Ab4rUSuDU1UKPywiJFEyR7FlVLDnIhCpJyFBDRbq9CkJ86G-tHLjLnAfIQmlm0jIqoB46bF8SJe4s-bM0KHKSvPSj2kijYFbfk-KQKQdRy5rE2EWs5kmJADSvDOE6ECXFoF7X2mFeJ=w1274-h955-no

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Should see if your Wallymart has any of the caterpillars I got a while ago, was cheap too. spoilered for big, ( Fuzzy cat photobomb jump bonus)
    2_lVVQR4MjjrFZOWMgtTOw41tqdZoVwoqWr0pkXe4KAluLt0cbpZyOUEZLxmkhwpc1ryG_8NrWMiCl3EArGZjCtUzluUKO8vhp8C9CrjNMhAUT8LU5gnpR6d_azBtGJXCckxkDyaCdJ9QY1jdRL9vIXLvFJagcRaVDHbn9bk8ki43pBtjNoVvs6iSd8AzxgZ5oSJrr1Rv_2iCrdwU2K17pZsqI0BJoRGqRjuCzuawlGXS0i8Yt5YZh4E-fDHGlZ9yggZK2KrbaKArE56-VYt3sUQEEB3aF-2zyUp5G9dP2XmffFSyX5ttJsW_K1DMmvAPBuo_6RQn0iOqVIPhNZHJsGKg9geHweXuhM8h9sX4dYtj5hzjl5W4LL_JInc9FCR7_cPiBWx4C-Eu2i6l6P7mxoBUSHCD3nMNxVNiMtebr3hdTsRcTnR7rRpP6Ab4rUSuDU1UKPywiJFEyR7FlVLDnIhCpJyFBDRbq9CkJ86G-tHLjLnAfIQmlm0jIqoB46bF8SJe4s-bM0KHKSvPSj2kijYFbfk-KQKQdRy5rE2EWs5kmJADSvDOE6ECXFoF7X2mFeJ=w1274-h955-no

Your cat might be part bigfoot. It appears to be naturally blurry.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ghost cat

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I have nothing constructive to add to this thread right now, but I want to say that reading it is both comforting and cathartic.

...comforting in that there are so many not-awful people in here, I mean. My heart goes out to the survivors.