As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me, Moe, you're my only hope. (rec me a gaming computer?)

RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off ChinaRegistered User regular
DH had to replace his old computer recently because the fan was making a noise like it was close to liftoff. He chose an Asus ROG desktop, Intel Core i7 with pretty good reviews. It has been nothing but a nightmare from the get-go. Windows 10 kept alt-tabbing him out of most games he tried to play; his Google-fu indicated it was probably because that stupid bitch Cortana wanted to browse the web, tee hee! Other games like Final Fantasy XIV wouldn't run without a whole bunch of arcane bullshit that only worked for a few logins, then back to some weird Square-Enix code.

So, two questions: Are other people having this much drama trying to run Windows 10? Or is it just this model/exact computer that is evil? If B, then what are you folks running that gets along with Win10?

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I've heard that the ROG laptops at least come teeming with software you don't want, so first thing I'd try is downloading the OS from Microsoft and doing a clean install from that, and not whatever discs came with the computer.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Yes, doing the clean install seems to have worked. Also DH was doing some unauthorized tinkering and probably broke something along the way. Yay for sounding like a noob. :redface:

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I have a ROG ASUS (few years old now), and didn't have issues - but I did remove most of the pre-ware that came on it.

With Windows 10, the big issue I had was finding the right touchpad drivers and ATK drivers for all the keyboard functions.

• Options
    madspookymadspooky San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    For better fun, if you don't want to uninstall and reinstall Windows and go through that whole process, is to use software like PC Decrapifyer (https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/) to get rid of all the unwanted stuff.