As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WORLD PREMIERE: [The Game Awards] and [Playstation Experience]

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    In other words, FF7 Remake won't actually be finished until 2030

Bad choice; it'll have to compete with Half-Life 3 then.

HL3 is never coming out

Psychonauts 2 announced before it was the dagger

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    They really should have waited to announce this (the remake) until they could explain the episodic thing a little better. Because this is starting to feel like a bait and switch.

No I don't.
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've never played FF7. I just tried too, but I can't do it. I missed my window.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's aged really badly

I played over a hundred hours back when it first came out, but I don't think I could go back

There's the PC version with all sorts of visual mods and stuff, but those always looked kind of janky to me too

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    ff7 is so god damn ugly

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I might just stick with the ported version on PS4 with this latest, episodic rumor on the remake.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I actually tried to play FF7 for the first time earlier this year (via the steam port) and it wasn't good

and I couldn't tell how much of it was the game being Just Not For Me or how much was it not aging well at all without nostalgia to buoy it

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    So Dark Cloud is a pretty banging game

Its like a proto dark souls (kinda) but also kind of like binding of issac or rogue legacy? I dunno its pretty fun thought. Being on a ps4 helps with its fps the game plays soooo much better then on a old ps2 and its so much faster.

Also it has a catgirl and you can get a slingshot weapon that talks to you soo

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I just hope they don't cut out the ability to wonder around the world map.

As in, "I wonder what happened to the world map"

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    So I played ff7 through the pillar collapse last night.

Man, the first few hours are FUCKING WEIRD and would never be made today (except in remake form obviously). Even disregarding Wall Market, the first thing you do in the game is commit an act of eco-terrorism. Doubt that would fly now.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @A steak! As long as it gets away from DFM and feels more like Zero I can deal with bad VA.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I disagree that 7 has aged poorly. Except for the graphics, which have the same problems most PS1/N64 games have.

Gameplay is still good as far as I'm concerned and I'll take it over any mainline FF game from 11-15. It's exactly the kind of gameplay I want from the series.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Its like a proto dark souls (kinda) but also kind of like binding of issac or rogue legacy? I dunno its pretty fun thought. Being on a ps4 helps with its fps the game plays soooo much better then on a old ps2 and its so much faster.

Dark Cloud had a very slick framerate on PS2 as well (possibly 60?)

A lot of early PS2 games had a much smoother feel to them than the games that came later in the gen. MGS2 ran at 60, for example

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I actually tried to play FF7 for the first time earlier this year (via the steam port) and it wasn't good

and I couldn't tell how much of it was the game being Just Not For Me or how much was it not aging well at all without nostalgia to buoy it

Nothing about older RPGs really translates well to people who didn't experience them in their hayday. For as much as people clamor about the ATB system, compared to games released more recently, it'd feel like trying to swim through molasses to new players.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is Dark Cloud the game where you can play golf in the dungeons or am I thinking of something else?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    what the hell is Dark Cloud

Should I get that or wait for them to put Dark Cloud 2 up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Javen wrote: »

Nothing about older RPGs really translates well to people who didn't experience them in their hayday. For as much as people clamor about the ATB system, compared to games released more recently, it'd feel like trying to swim through molasses to new players.

The ATB system is just a turn based system with a slightly different skin and turn based games are still made all the time.

The idea that it is some old relic that people just can't enjoy without nostalgia anymore is nonsense and is about as true as if you said the same thing about platformers where you jump on enemies heads.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the ATB system is mostly just boring

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

The ATB system is just a turn based system with a slightly different skin and turn based games are still made all the time.

The idea that it is some old relic that people just can't enjoy without nostalgia anymore is nonsense and is about as true as if you said the same thing about platformers where you jump on enemies heads.

Especially considering how recently Bravely Default released and how popular that game was with an IgoUgo turn based system. I mean, personally I found the combat of Bravely Default to be super dull but a lot of people loved that game.

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Is the PS4 port of FFVII using the terrible midi PC version of the soundtrack? I heard the PS4 port is based on the PC port that came out a little while ago and that one was definitely using the midi music.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Is the PS4 port of FFVII using the terrible midi PC version of the soundtrack? I heard the PS4 port is based on the PC port that came out a little while ago and that one was definitely using the midi music.

The music sounds the same as it always has as far as I can tell.

• Options
    the ATB system is mostly just boring

And it's fine if you don't like it. There are gameplay styles I don't like, too.

But sometimes people turn "I don't personally like this" into "games like this shouldn't be made anymore because they just don't work" and that's silly.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Yeah, turn-based games are still made, with the vast majority basically serving the same aesthetic as when that style was still relevant, and basically sold to the same people each time. You have to factor in the rest of the game to see if a certain playstyle fits. It's why you don't ever see a beautifully rendered, fully voiced acted platforming game where you jump on enemies heads.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They really should have waited to announce this (the remake) until they could explain the episodic thing a little better. Because this is starting to feel like a bait and switch.
    Wait how is this a bait and switch

This is the first time they have shown any real gameplay or anything beyond a CG trailer and the announcement

This is one of the earliest possible times they could give a heads up on its episodic nature

The thing probably isn't out for another year or two!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

A lot of early PS2 games had a much smoother feel to them than the games that came later in the gen. MGS2 ran at 60, for example

Im pretty sure dark cloud runs like shit on my psslim

Which might be the slims reader being shit at reading cd roms but I dont remember the game being this fast

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'd wait. Dark Cloud has a lot of interesting ideas, but also a lot of chaff that doesn't work that they remove for the sequel.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

Dark Cloud 2 is thoroughly superior to its predecessor.

DC1 isn't bad or anything, but if you have no nostalgia for it and aren't really into what it offers, it'll get old really fast. Probably not worth the price of admission.

(essentially it's an action-RPG with lengthy randomized dungeons and an interesting puzzle-ish town building sim stacked on top; the random dungeons are the type that give the concept a bad name as they're very samey and bland, not really improving the game in any way by being random)

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

Im pretty sure dark cloud runs like shit on my psslim

Which might be the slims reader being shit at reading cd roms but I dont remember the game being this fast

I played about halfway through Dark Cloud as recently as three months ago

I think it might just be your system

That shit is pretty smooth

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I totally bought the PS4 port just to have the PS4 theme...and also play the game again because I'm weak.

I expect my wife to complain about the PS4 playing Aeris' Theme on repeat any day now.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

This is the first time they have shown any real gameplay or anything beyond a CG trailer and the announcement

This is one of the earliest possible times they could give a heads up on its episodic nature

Because they need to give people more info in order to not get a semi negative reaction to the episodic news.

No I don't.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

Dark cloud 2 is better in almost every way but the first is still interesting.
    Peewi wrote: »
    Is Dark Cloud the game where you can play golf in the dungeons or am I thinking of something else?

Yeah it is called spheda I think. You actually unlock stuff that way.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

Because they need to give people more info in order to not get a semi negative reaction to the episodic news.

This still doesn't make it a bait and switch

• Options

What info do they need? It's really early in their development cycle still and they have said why they are splitting it up into parts and justifying the decision

Price points and exactly how many episodes there will be comes later. This thing is still probably a 2017 or even 18 game

Honestly I'm surprised they've said this much about the episode nature of it and why they made the decision, Square is usually far more oblique about titles so far out from release

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

What info do they need? It's really early in their development cycle still and they have said why they are splitting it up into parts and justifying the decision

Price points and exactly how many episodes there will be comes later. This thing is still probably a 2017 or even 18 game

Honestly I'm surprised they've said this much about the episode nature of it and why they made the decision, Square is usually far more oblique about titles so far out from release

They hadn't said that at the point I posted the original post. Now they are doing what I said they needed to do, explaining to some degree what episodic means to the remake.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's not a bait and switch because this is the first time they're saying what it is

Just like how the PS2 emulation not supporting disks isn't a bait and switch, cause they never said it would be that

People made assumptions and those assumptions were wrong

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    All I know about FF7 is that I tried to play it and my opinion is that it looks terrible, is a slog and the writing is not good. Like I said, I missed my window. I'm sure it was amazing on release.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    An episodic re-make of an 18 year old game.

We live in interesting video game times folks.

• Options
    Ok? Maybe bad phrasing on my part? I don't need this to be a thing where everyone tells me how wrong I am about a phrase I used when this was still a rumor instead of confirmed with more info being presented.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I wonder what the sales of ff7 look like after all the re releases and this soon to be episodic remake

Its kind of ridiculous how much money theyve made off of this one thing

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I wonder what the sales of ff7 look like after all the re releases and this soon to be episodic remake

Its kind of ridiculous how much money theyve made off of this one thing
    The first episode, at least, will sell a shit ton

Between the nostalgia factor and the sheer curiosity of those who were too young/never played it getting able to play a modernized take on one of the biggest games of all time

That thing is gonna make a ridiculous sum of money

Question is whether it will make enough to cover its probably ridiculous budget

CYpGAPn.png