As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Titan [chat] - Immortal Throne

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
X9c8wlK.png
Titan Quest - immortal Throne
The road to Hades is the easiest to travel. ~Diogenes Laërtius

Released in 2006, Titan Quest, along with its 2007 Expansion "Immortal Throne" was a fairly interesting Diablo-like. Interesting enough to look at, in fact.

Story and Setting

Titan Quest is set in ancient mythological Greece, Egypt and China. Now, this was in 2005, so it was just after God Of War came out, but even then, that "real world" fantastical setting was not (and still isn't) particularly common. That was one of the things that set this game apart. What was the plot? Basically, things are dire: Gods went incommunicado and decided to stop protecting humans, letting tons of baddies show up and wreck everyone's shit. Everything from satyrs to the undead are up and about wrecking people's faces. it is up to a lone/group of chosen ones to go to Delphi and figure things out. Without spoiling anything Titans are involved, as are most mythological monsters AND some really obscure ones. Your travels take you through Greece, Egypt and the Silk Road all the way to Olympus and, in the expansion, Hades itself (The place, not the God).

Gameplay

This is a classic Western Action RPG Lootfest, in the vein of Diablo. Kill monsters by clicking on them, grab loot they drop, hope it's good and level up abilities to kill enemies more dead. One thing that this game took away from the genre was randomized maps. In fact, the maps were all more-or-less static. Every playthrough was the same and that was a bit boring. To compensate, the character progression is quite robust. Unlike other games in the genre, you can dual-class. And there are a decent amount of classes in the base game (The expansion adds only one class). The classes are nothing to write home about individually. You have the Rogue Class which is all about backstabs, the Hunter Class which is about bows, The Warfare and Defense classes which are more about melee damage. there is a lot of different mage classes: Stomr, Nature, Earth and Spirit. Lastly, the expansion adds the Dreamer class which has an interesting mechanic: Transes.

bKYVQKW.png

What set it apart

Really, the cool thing about Titan Quest was how flexible character building was. You could easily make a classic mage... Or you could make a mage that also uses bows. Or a necromancer who is also a huge tank... There was a lot you could do. There wasn't anything special about the equipment, sadly. You could socket your things with "runes", but that wasn't revolutionary. However, the game looked really good at the time, with day/night cycles and ragdoll physics and 3d models! That was also a big drawing point and as a result, the game still looks decent to this day.

Another neat thing that was introduced in the Expansion were Artifacts, which were... weird things you could craft by collecting ingredients and combining them. How weird? Like, songs. you could equip a song in your heart that made you stronger. Pretty cool concept, honestly.

fZOGlnIl.png

What about you?

What is your favorite Diablo-like game? Is it the Free-to-Play Path of Exile, with its gem system? Is it Torchlight, with its classic charm? Or is it some obscure game no one's heard of? And what did that game have that made it unique and stick in your mind?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mm, dat Greek ass.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    2 more minutes and i could have usurped chat with my draft i've been saving since forever

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I just saw this at the LEGO Dimensions booth:
    iuu0pupg0xig.jpg

It's The Hulk and Hulkbuster Iron Man from The Avengers 2. They are made entirely of LEGO blocks.

uxkhvdehii9c.jpg

p8mylw1ygbez.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    @Havelock2.0

The bad news gone right thread has your butt, er, has your back.

Michigan's Butt named Tight End of the Year
    Butt was the All-Big Ten tight end, according to the coaches and the media, and was joined on the coaches’ first team with Jehu Chesson at wide receiver.

. . .

With a year of eligibility remaining and now in Harbaugh’s tight end-friendly offense, Butt could hold most of the program records when it's all said and done, as he’s also in the Top 5 in career catches and yardage.

Regina Fong on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Nice timing on that last post @Chanus

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I clicked the alcohol thread that's near the top and last saw I'd looked at it in November 2011. So old.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Huh missed a chat.

Oh well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I liked Titan Quest alot BUT not havign a random generated world made it stale to play imo.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I liked Titan Quest alot BUT not havign a random generated world made it stale to play imo.

Yep, the lack of procedurally generated maps was a big faux-pas.

My favorite Diablo-style game remains Borderlands 2. I bought all the DLC, beat the main campaign three times, found all the best items and weapons over 200 hours of playing.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric I am beyond excited to see the handmade present! Krampus isn't going to get you this year.

Which I also just went and saw. It's... Very uneven. Some cool parts, some laughs. A lot of boring stuff.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Oh, one really cool thing about Titan Quest: If an enemy has a rare piece of loot on him, and he can use that weapon, then he will actually have that weapon model equipped. If it's a cool-ass lightning sword, then the enemy will be holding a sword spewing lightning. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I don't really enjoy Diablo-likes, I want my RPGs to be story focused and with combat I can sit and thin about, mouse in one hand dick beer in the other

I did enjoy Borderlands a lot though, I guess that is the closest I've come

PS also re: Greek stuff I find ancient greek history more interesting than ancient greek myth I think, as a setting

give me a game about being a secret agent in the cold Peloponesian war between Athens and Sparta pls

Oh god this h/a post about masturbation. He lists so many major health problems but then caps it with "so I know it's cause I jerk it that's making me constipated and faint, I'll see a doctor someday..."

Is there a big red button we can hit to make someone go to a doctor tomorrow?

edited December 2015
    What I want to know is, are we going to be discussing the elephant in the room?

And by elephant, I am of course referring to Frothulu's apparent racial animus towards squid people.

Regina Fong on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Nice timing on that last post Chanus

yeah got that in just in time

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Titan Quest was my favourite dungeon crawler until Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls came out. RoS made D3 into the best dungeon crawler I've played.

But the classing system in Titan Quest was brilliant.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    btw did you write that big ass novel about Titan Quest yourself or did you illegally download it no copyright intended you quebecois thief

jakobagger wrote: »
    I don't really enjoy Diablo-likes, I want my RPGs to be story focused and with combat I can sit and thin about, mouse in one hand dick beer in the other

PS also re: Greek stuff I find ancient greek history more interesting than ancient greek myth I think, as a setting

give me a game about being a secret agent in the cold Peloponesian war between Athens and Sparta pls

I would totally play this game but I would want character creation to involve at least 20 body sliders to craft the perfect chest and abs for my spartan.

Nova_C wrote: »
    Titan Quest was my favourite dungeon crawler until Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls came out. RoS made D3 into the best dungeon crawler I've played.

But the classing system in Titan Quest was brilliant.

Basically agree but Diablo 2 and Titan quest were very close in quality but in different ways IMO.

Reaper of souls is now best.

edited December 2015
    Oh haha the masturbation thread is from 2010 and just got necro-Ed. Beautiful.

By a spammer selling dick oil. Not joking.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Oh god this h/a post about masturbation. He lists so many major health problems but then caps it with "so I know it's cause I jerk it that's making me constipated and faint, I'll see a doctor someday..."

Five years ago, innit?

sig.gif
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

That sounds like positively un-American talk to me

Everyone, from sea to shining sea, is free to ignore their own health to their own detriment, because that's freedom, baby

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    All these Ratchets & Daxters on sale make me wonder what my cousin is playing nowadays.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Mazzy, whisper quietly into my ear about what your [chat] would have been about.

Oh haha the masturbation thread is from 2010 and just got necro-Ed. Beautiful.

By a spammer selling dick oil. Not joking.

'Doctor-recommended Man Oil'.

edited December 2015
    Guys and gals, I'm selling Castle's Patented Dick Cream right here and now for a steal at $19.99 per cream dispenser. This is only the finest cream and it's definitely not yogurt I bought at Costco. Put it right on your dick. All sales final.

Ladies love it too. It's strawberry flavored.

OnTheLastCastle on

I would totally play this game but I would want character creation to involve at least 20 body sliders to craft the perfect chest and abs for my spartan.

that goes without saying

also the game will definitely explore the Greeks' understanding of sexuality and how it differed from the modern Western one

lots of sweaty, oily man love, is what I'm saying

very artistic u kno

that goes without saying

also the game will definitely explore the Greeks' understanding of sexuality and how it differed from the modern Western one

very artistic u kno

Just shut up and take my money

Many years ago, he watched me play SMT: Nocturne all summer. A few years later, the roles were reversed. I was kind of surprised.

He's apparently into piercings and stretch-plates, now.
    I wonder if he still buys a lot of sneakers.

21st why did you tease us about the expansion character then not explain. You monster get back in here

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    @Havelock2.0

The bad news gone right thread has your butt, er, has your back.

Michigan's Butt named Tight End of the Year
    Butt was the All-Big Ten tight end, according to the coaches and the media, and was joined on the coaches’ first team with Jehu Chesson at wide receiver.

. . .

With a year of eligibility remaining and now in Harbaugh’s tight end-friendly offense, Butt could hold most of the program records when it's all said and done, as he’s also in the Top 5 in career catches and yardage.

This is sufficient!

I am pleased

*claps*

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

that goes without saying

very artistic u kno

Everybody knows only lesbians can be artistic. Or at least Hollywood knows that.

I ate an engineer
    Did anyone get the doom alpha besides elki

@elki @Mazzyx @Sir Landshark @desc

I still remember the first time I saw that stupid kid. How is he a huge adult, now?

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am not normally huge on Diablo games but Titan Quest was the super great exception to the rule.

rRwz9.gif
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i played a very small amount of titan quest but i remember it being good

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    milski wrote: »

that goes without saying

very artistic u kno

Everybody knows only lesbians can be artistic. Or at least Hollywood knows that.

I like made-for-straight-guys lesbians as much as the next straight guy but yeah that is one of those silly hollywood ideas I guess

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Diablo style games are boring

He said, queuing into his 12,000 game of Hearthstone.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I never truly played Diablo. I think I gave it a shot waaay back, said no, and went back to playing Thief: TDP

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
This discussion has been closed.