As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Practical skills, hobbies, and crafts

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    My new year's resolution for 2015 was to get a job (making videogames (and I did)). My new year's resolution for 2016 is to get a life -- which means I need a dang HOBBY

I took a few flight lessons in college, and I'm thinking about taking it up again and getting my pilot's license. Also thinking about learning a language! I'm torn between Chinese and Japanese. Chinese deffo seems like the more practical language to learn, but it's also like a billion times more complicated???

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah I started trying to learn French.

How do you learn French.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

How do you learn French.

Omelette Du Fromage.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

How do you learn French.

I say something then ask SimBen to turn it into French for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Or ask me and I'm sure I'll offer you something back in french.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I learnt some basic carpenterialising and have occasionally put it to use. Now that I have a house with a shed I have all sorts of plans, just need to sort out materials and whatnot. I'd like to have a crack at making a copy of one of thise wyrmwood dice towers because they are gorgeous. I think I can do it, just need to like.. do it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I can prune rose bushes pretty well.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    I delved into the terrible rabbit-hole that is open-source CNC equipment. The smaller version of one of these, specifically:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ_PgTjC-yM
    Fortunately, there happen to be a few free and legit CAD/CAM packages these days, otherwise this would be WAY more expensive (cost was comparable to a mid-range 3D Printer).

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I used to work leather! Made a key-chain for my... confirmation? First communion? Either way, it was a church thing. Also made a few christmas ornaments and such. I'm also learning to play harmonica!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like cooking.

I ordered a pigs head today.

When I get it I will call it Colin.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I paint figures....is that practical?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I like cooking.

Did you get the matching conch to go with it?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It needs to be sanded and finished, but I made a side table!

ga1l7b7d3ldm.jpg
    ths2hcw4f7iu.jpg
    qwyynxnrgkf6.jpg

Hand cut mortises, tenons, and lap joints (which contributes to it not quiiiiite sitting perfectly but sssshhh)

edit: sideways WHY

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    That sure is on its side!

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    *sob*

• Options
    I like cooking.

Seems like a good way to ensure it never goes away.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like cooking.

Thank you for getting the reference.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    It's a reference to the universally omitted extra verse to "Catch a Falling Star", right?

If you buy a pig's head
    and you call it Colin
    It will never go awaaaay

• Options
    I like cooking.

Thank you for getting the reference.

I discovered Fables after playing The Wolf Among Us and was really glad to see Colin in the first issue, since I liked him in the game. That comic got real very quickly.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I once used pipe cleaners to make some squares that our Cleric could drop into the table to mark out various areas of effect

That's a really good idea. I'ma still it next time I play some physical D&D.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I like cooking.

I also like cooking

I have been asked to make christmas dinner this year

I'm really bad at full meal planning though and haven't really figured out how that's going to go yet

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I like cooking.

I also like cooking

I'm really bad at full meal planning though and haven't really figured out how that's going to go yet

My family usually does a thing where one person makes the main dish and everyone else brings (coordinated) sides. Takes some of the pressure off the host.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I recently came to the realisation that my entire life is mindless work, video games, sleep, which was all I ever wanted as a kid, but not so much now. I've decided to try and find a hobby to get me away from this, and decided to spend my evenings making let's plays, having a small amount of dusty, old experience editing videos. It does kind of sound a bit like trying to distract an alcoholic by suggesting they take up homebrewing, but I spent my first evening editing a video last night and it was really fun! It felt good to do something different and to wake up feeling like doing more of it.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm in the process of making a knife from steel that I helped smelt. I've done all the forging, hammering, and rough grinding already, now I just have to do some finish work and make a handle for it. I should really do that since I started the whole thing 2+ years ago.

• Options
    I like cooking.

I also like cooking

My family usually does a thing where one person makes the main dish and everyone else brings (coordinated) sides. Takes some of the pressure off the host.

Yeah, but my family's planning is a bit less as in the meal planning my mum literally wrote down, "Blake's Salad".

• Options
    I like cooking.

I also like cooking

Yeah, but my family's planning is a bit less as in the meal planning my mum literally wrote down, "Blake's Salad".

And are you?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    "You're lucky you're family, mom. No one else calls me 'salad' and gets away with it!"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    You better not call me Salad, Johnny. My mother called me Salad once.

Once.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    A couple years ago I stitched together a bunch of frames of animation to make a modern version of a classic Cartoon Network bumper.

https://youtu.be/LnamrC0_MGA

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I like cooking.

I also like cooking

Go for a surprise hotdog theme. Hotdogs in everything.

And for the centerpiece:

vvon2g35mepu.jpg

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I like cooking.

I also like cooking

Go for a surprise hotdog theme. Hotdogs in everything.

And for the centerpiece:

vvon2g35mepu.jpg

:bigfrown:

• Options
    Aww man, not groβe Zwiebeln!

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Aww man, not groβe Zwiebeln!

I agree that's too much. Better substitute kleine Zwiebeln.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i recently picked up rosetta stone for mandarin chinese

i've always wanted to do one but had a hard time selecting a language

i really like rosetta stones technique. it works pretty well. i did the first chapter of french one time like 7 years ago and I still remember some of the words

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Would gardening count in here? Especially since it's not vegetable gardening but I've been working on a rain garden/wildflower bed.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Would gardening count in here? Especially since it's not vegetable gardening but I've been working on a rain garden/wildflower bed.

As someone who's successfully managed to kill every plant they've tried to grow: yes.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Sure!

Me and mrs chilla have a pretty thriving indoor garden we're really proud of

prouder if we hadn't just completely murdered a poor rosemary bush

our apartment doesn't have enough good window space

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    We just completely murdered poor Rosemary Bush.

Saving this out of context quote for when I inevitably have to frame you for a crime.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

How do you learn French.

It's bullshit, pardon my French

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Speaking of hobbies, does anyone have any good suggestions for a fairly stationary person in her 50s?

My mom, who is normally a marathon running, dog training, long distance cycling sort of person, has developed numerous surgery requiring muscle tears in one of her legs

So she's not gonna be very mobile for a while next year, and I fully expect her to go completely insane during this time

And I was thinking of trying to get her into a hobby of some sort for Christmas, but I have very few actually good ideas for that