As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Non-spoiler thread

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    ...you beautiful, glorious bastard.

see317 on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Not personally complaining, but that's a bit of a spoiler. And it makes sense, but I don't recall how "official" any news of that character appearing was.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yeah can you throw that behind a spoiler? Even the preview image is spoiling stuff.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow. That's a bit of a spoiler...wish I hadn't seen that preview image.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Comment for the spoiler clip:
    I guess he should have stayed on Yavin a bit longer eh?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    It begins.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/neo-nazis-call-for-boycott-of-star-wars-rogue-one-a-jew-mturbation-fantasy-of-anti-white-hatred/
    White supremacists are continuing their call for a boycott of upcoming Star Wars film Rogue One, accusing the film’s producers of promoting multiculturalism and an “anti-white” agenda, forward.com reports.

“(((Star Wars))) Is Anti-White Social Engineering,” reads a Reddit post by GenFrancoPepe on the subreddit r/altright, including a gif showing the cast from the movie; according to the image, predominantly white characters fight with the oppressive Empire while an array of multicultural characters support the rebel fighters.

“So basically star wars was SJW propaganda from the beginning?” Another user, stanicpriest13 asked the forum. “Good now I don’t feel as bad about not watching the new films. The new films are going to flop big league anyway. You can push the female heroes as much as you like, but even most women don’t find it interesting.”

Calls for a boycott have been mounting since August, when a white supremacist site called InfoStormer complained that the trailer for Rogue One, “is another Jew masturbation fantasy of anti-white hatred.”

“This film should be boycotted. Episode 7 was bad enough featuring that retarded storm trooper Negro and another empowered White female in the lead roles,” InfoStormer wrote, later adding “It looks as if the Jew run company of Disney is going to pump out as many of these awful multicultural Star Wars films as possible.”

In November, two Rogue One writers took up the cause of multiculturalism, digging at the alt-right calls for a boycott. “Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human) organization,” screenwriter Chris Weitz wrote in a tweet. Write Gary Whitta retweeted his coworker’s statement, adding, “Opposed by a multi-cultural group led by brave women.”

Both writers deleted their tweets, but Weitz followed up with a more subtle statement:

The safety-pin symbol first appeared following the UK Brexit vote. The pin is meant to show solidarity with immigrants, people of color, LGBTQ people and others minority groups. Responding to Twitter user, Weitz said simply the symbol shows “solidarity with people who are afraid.”

The last Star Wars movie to get a boycott got over a billion dollars.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It begins.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/neo-nazis-call-for-boycott-of-star-wars-rogue-one-a-jew-mturbation-fantasy-of-anti-white-hatred/
    White supremacists are continuing their call for a boycott of upcoming Star Wars film Rogue One, accusing the film’s producers of promoting multiculturalism and an “anti-white” agenda, forward.com reports.

“(((Star Wars))) Is Anti-White Social Engineering,” reads a Reddit post by GenFrancoPepe on the subreddit r/altright, including a gif showing the cast from the movie; according to the image, predominantly white characters fight with the oppressive Empire while an array of multicultural characters support the rebel fighters.

“So basically star wars was SJW propaganda from the beginning?” Another user, stanicpriest13 asked the forum. “Good now I don’t feel as bad about not watching the new films. The new films are going to flop big league anyway. You can push the female heroes as much as you like, but even most women don’t find it interesting.”

Calls for a boycott have been mounting since August, when a white supremacist site called InfoStormer complained that the trailer for Rogue One, “is another Jew masturbation fantasy of anti-white hatred.”

“This film should be boycotted. Episode 7 was bad enough featuring that retarded storm trooper Negro and another empowered White female in the lead roles,” InfoStormer wrote, later adding “It looks as if the Jew run company of Disney is going to pump out as many of these awful multicultural Star Wars films as possible.”

In November, two Rogue One writers took up the cause of multiculturalism, digging at the alt-right calls for a boycott. “Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human) organization,” screenwriter Chris Weitz wrote in a tweet. Write Gary Whitta retweeted his coworker’s statement, adding, “Opposed by a multi-cultural group led by brave women.”

Both writers deleted their tweets, but Weitz followed up with a more subtle statement:

The safety-pin symbol first appeared following the UK Brexit vote. The pin is meant to show solidarity with immigrants, people of color, LGBTQ people and others minority groups. Responding to Twitter user, Weitz said simply the symbol shows “solidarity with people who are afraid.”

The last Star Wars movie to get a boycott got over a billion dollars.

Clearly, as they say, they are going to be a failure. Only a billion dollars?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Why would the Empire be white supremacist? That would pointlessly evil. White and black would live in harmony to pick on green.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why would the Empire be white supremacist? That would pointlessly evil. White and black would live in harmony to pick on green.

If Earth starts having green people to hate on in real life, you might have a point.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

It feels weird worrying that about making the Empire cartoonishly over the top evil, but having them be racist in addition to anti-alien is laying it on a bit thick. These guys enslaved Chewbacca, if you can't get your audience to figure out they're evil from that then either they're unreachable or you're a really bad writer.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

He's not saying they're literally white supremacist, he's saying they are equivalent to real such organizations.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

It feels weird worrying that about making the Empire cartoonishly over the top evil, but having them be racist in addition to anti-alien is laying it on a bit thick. These guys enslaved Chewbacca, if you can't get your audience to figure out they're evil from that then either they're unreachable or you're a really bad writer.

Yeah. The Empire is a text book example for cartoonishly evil.

• Options
    The key is that cartoonishly evil is distinct from stupid-evil.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    The Empire is human supremacist which is a metaphor for racism. Dude is just fucking with alt-right nazi assholes.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The original trilogy is pretty stark with its representation of an almost entirely white, completely human Empire fighting a much more diverse rebellion. If anything the new movies are just doubling down on that pre-existing framework, which frankly I wholeheartedly endorse.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    They've already ruined the "racist" part of the First Order, if that's what they are going for, by simply having Finn be someone who was a part of it. Also, they can't be doubling down on sexism, either, since Phasma is like a poster child for the group.

The original Empire was totally racist, though, since it was clear they were almost literally an analogue for Hitler Germany. So yeah, it makes sense that would be the case in Rogue One. I'm not sure they were sexist, though, were they? Were there no female officers on any of the SD bridges we saw in the movies? Was Nazi-ism particularly sexist for the time period?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    ObiFett wrote: »
    They've already ruined the "racist" part of the First Order, if that's what they are going for, by simply having Finn be someone who was a part of it. Also, they can't be doubling down on sexism, either, since Phasma is like a poster child for the group.

The original Empire was totally racist, though, since it was clear they were almost literally an analogue for Hitler Germany. So yeah, it makes sense that would be the case in Rogue One. I'm not sure they were sexist, though, were they? Were there no female officers on any of the SD bridges we saw in the movies? Was Nazi-ism particularly sexist for the time period?

For the latter, it was. Nazis came to power in an era where women - in the wake of the suffragette movement and other global shifts that allowed more access to wealth and power for women - and were very adamant that this feminization of culture was a sign of liberal decadence. The offical Nazi rhetorical line was that the rightful place of women was in the home bearing children for the state and instilling German culture into them.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Well

Then the Empire should be totally sexist as well. That would only make sense.

I don't get anyone complaining about this. Its a story and the Empire are the bad guys. Sexism and racism are bad things. Checks out to me!

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Well

I don't get anyone complaining about this. Its a story and the Empire are the bad guys. Sexism and racism are bad things. Checks out to me!
    The people doing the complaining are literal Nazis. In their minds the bad guys should be self empowered women, beta cucks, minoroties and aliens.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well

The people doing the complaining are literal Nazis. In their minds the bad guys should be self empowered women, beta cucks, minoroties and aliens.

Well, these people are obviously not Star Wars fans because the Empire has been the bad guys since the seventies.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I'm okay with the First Order using Finn as a programmed-from-childhood cannon fodder Trooper.

Wait--I mean I'm okay with it as it relates to them being a bag of racist dicks. I'm totally against the brainwashing of innocents of any race to create an army.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well

In a setting where all sorts of alien races exist, the difference between what color skin you have or what gender you are is less important. You're still human, which means you're still better than all those alien scum.

Yes, that's right, xenophobia as a cultural uniter.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well

Well, these people are obviously not Star Wars fans because the Empire has been the bad guys since the seventies.

"From a certain point of view."
    That POV being, people who are not ****in' Nazis.
    :rotate:

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    The Empire and the rebels were all white guys in the originals because that's how all major movies were at that time.

I'm glad they threw out the whole racism/sexism angle that was added later in some of the EU and made the Empire more of a generalized oppressor. The last thing I want in a Star Wars movie is to be dragged back into today's problems (which would also kill their classical appeal).

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm okay with the First Order using Finn as a programmed-from-childhood cannon fodder Trooper.

Wait--I mean I'm okay with it as it relates to them being a bag of racist dicks. I'm totally against the brainwashing of innocents of any race to create an army.

Well shit, now I have to rethink my Secret Santa

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The original trilogy is pretty stark with its representation of an almost entirely white, completely human Empire fighting a much more diverse rebellion. If anything the new movies are just doubling down on that pre-existing framework, which frankly I wholeheartedly endorse.

The OT is just more white in general I think--heroes and villains both. In ANH everyones white -- the first (and only?) non-white human character is lando in ESB I think.

heres an interesting essay on this very issue: https://spottedtoad.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/star-wars-and-identitarian-power/

valiance on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

The OT is just more white in general I think--heroes and villains both. In ANH everyones white -- the first (and only?) non-white human character is lando in ESB I think.

heres an interesting essay on this very issue: https://spottedtoad.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/star-wars-and-identitarian-power/

There was a random xwing(?) pilot in ROTJ who was African American.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Morons. After all this time and all these boycotts don't they know that you are supposed to pick safe bombs to "boycott"? That way you can even claim victory.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Darth Vader is way more James Earl Jones than Prowse or the other guys.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

There was a random xwing(?) pilot in ROTJ who was African American.

I think that was an A-Wing

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I think it would be hard to not be a little racist in a world where gungans exist.

Ya burnt

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think it would be hard to not be a little racist in a world where gungans exist.

Ya burnt

Oh boy, time for me to break out my Gungan rant.

What race in the galaxy has more reason to hate the Empire than the Gungans? Think about it for a moment: Palpatine was the Senator for Naboo. Then, the one day a Gungan is given temporary Senatorial power, he uses it to enact Emergency Measures that put Palpatine in charge of the whole Republic, and Palpatine turns it into a human-centric facist dictatorship. And since the Emperor loves to vacation on his old homeworld, the Gungans get oppressed even harder than most alien races. They're driven underground (well, underwater) out of necessity of survival. What race has more drive to rid themselves of the Empire than those who were spurned by those who were supposed to uphold and represent their interests?

BTW when I roll up a Gungan character for Age of Rebellion I use the name "Binks" like a WWII resistance fighter would use "Quisling".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Well

Lots of things are bad things, that doesn't mean that the Empire needs to do them in order to drive home their evilness. Anti-alien bigotry is a perfectly good stand-in for other forms of bigotry without getting too on the nose and having the script scream, "Do you get it? Huh? Do ya?"
    Plus the Empire is supposed to be a scary, competent opponent. Slather on too many negative traits and you start wondering how such a worthless bunch of assholes manage to get anything done.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Apostate wrote: »
    The Empire and the rebels were all white guys in the originals because that's how all major movies were at that time.

Yes, and that had wide reaching implications for the setting. The Rebels being lead by a woman, and one of strongest, iconic leaders (Leia) being woman were political in nature, too. For the time that was a progressive move. Lando being a prominent player in the movies was, as well.
    I'm glad they threw out the whole racism/sexism angle that was added later in some of the EU and made the Empire more of a generalized oppressor. The last thing I want in a Star Wars movie is to be dragged back into today's problems (which would also kill their classical appeal).

The EU was built on a foundation, where they took it to the likely conclusion. And the Disney Empire has been more progressive on that front than it was in the past, which was a political decision by the creators to appeal to larger demographics overtly.

The Empire has also been a thinly veiled analog for the Nazis from the word go.

Star Wars is an IP which has been drenched in politics from the first screenshot. The premise of the OT setting was - in a galaxy plucky rebels try to overthrow a tyrant and his horrendous regime. That's inherently political, and is as relevant today as it was back then. The PT do that, too, though various means and the spin-offs (Clone Wars cartoons etc) go deeper into detail with those consequences. Many episodes were about themes and ideas about what was the right choice for politics, because war is a political subject. I remember one ep where Ahsoka had to make difficult choices about how to not make the local rebel cells on a planet dependent on the Republic, another was about Padme trying to convince a high profile Separatist friend to stop the war from the other side. Most episodes had things like that. Others dealt with child soldiers, and how expendable the clones were. There was even an episode about slavery, and they weren't shy about how bad it was. The PT were shockingly docile about the subject in comparison. The PT is filled with these themes and subjects, too. They just did them poorly.

The Force Awakens having a woman and black man leads were also political in nature. This is what created a boycott against the film. The backlash has continued at a lower simmer on both fronts with Rogue One.

TFA spoilers
    This is why when Kylo says he'll "take what he wants" from a captured Rey it has a different context than if he said it to Poe.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Well

Lots of things are bad things, that doesn't mean that the Empire needs to do them in order to drive home their evilness. Anti-alien bigotry is a perfectly good stand-in for other forms of bigotry without getting too on the nose and having the script scream, "Do you get it? Huh? Do ya?"
    Plus the Empire is supposed to be a scary, competent opponent. Slather on too many negative traits and you start wondering how such a worthless bunch of assholes manage to get anything done.

Unfortunately it isn't the hard to believe assholes can get a lot done, no matter how horrible they are. It's surprising how bad a group can get at being assholes before they stop being a threat to people.

• Options
    Well

Unfortunately it isn't the hard to believe assholes can get a lot done, no matter how horrible they are. It's surprising how bad a group can get at being assholes before they stop being a threat to people.

Rampaging assholes can break a lot of things, but you need a not-insignificant level of competence in order to hold together an empire. Plus you already have the antagonist being bigoted, enslaving people, and building a weapon designed to eliminate entire planets. You already have plenty of stuff to drive home the whole 'bad guy' bit.

This discussion has been closed.