As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Non-spoiler thread

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Oh well, it's not "Attack of the Clones" bad.

It's not even anything bad.

You know what, I agree. I wasn't sure at first but I've warmed to it in the last few hours. A lot.

And, actually unrelated, had it pointed out that it was the title of a book from the old EU (that I never read).

But yeah, that red logo means something. It can't not.
    Blue for Episode IX?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Logo reminds me of Revenge of the Jedi.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The Force Awakens The Last Jedi Knights of the New Republic?

KOTOR is a great acronym. I'm not digging KOTNR.

better than NKOTB

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I said it back when TFA was revealed, and I'll say it again: I fucking love that they dropped the "Episode [n]" from the title.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Oh well, it's not "Attack of the Clones" bad.

It's not even anything bad.

You know what, I agree. I wasn't sure at first but I've warmed to it in the last few hours. A lot.

And, actually unrelated, had it pointed out that it was the title of a book from the old EU (that I never read).

But yeah, that red logo means something. It can't not.
    Blue for Episode IX?

Please let that happen because going by the Clone Wars colour coding that could only mean
    R2D2 / BB8 buddy copy movie!

• Options
    Wasn't the original Revenge/Return logo red?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I said it back when TFA was revealed, and I'll say it again: I fucking love that they dropped the "Episode [n]" from the title.

They didn't really, though

it's in the films

it's in the media literature and some of the ads

they just don't put it front-and-center like the prequels did

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The red is very Return of the Jedi.
    uULu4I4.jpg

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a thematic reason for it too, though.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Taximes wrote: »
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:
    Luke's not making it out of this one alive.

(which does not mean he can't appear in IX, of course.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »

They didn't really, though

it's in the films

it's in the media literature and some of the ads

they just don't put it front-and-center like the prequels did

It was always called "Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace" not "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace".

Around the same time, they made the IV-V-VI more prominent in the OT.

I always hated that.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

The Last Jedi speculation:
    The driving arc will be Rey (and probably Finn) trying to convince Luke to teach, while learning about the fall of his Order/Kylo's descent. Meanwhile, the First Order will be trying to capitalize on what happened in TFA to destroy the Resistance/Republic.

There will be no real time skip between the end of TFA and the opening, at most a few days. Betting the opening scene will feature Kylo, followed by Finn waking up. Then cut back to Ach'to.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    It also ignores that a redemption arc is, namely the description of a narrative trope, not a moral judgment of a character's guilt or innocence in who they are or what they've become.

Yes, this would be the actual issue with that argument. Kylo Ren's (potential) redemption arc is specifically about him deciding to stop trying to be a bad person.

Well, the problem is that we don't know why he chose to become a bad person in the first place.

That's not a problem for saying a redemption arc is not "problematic".

• Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

The driving arc will be Rey (and probably Finn) trying to convince Luke to teach, while learning about the fall of his Order/Kylo's descent. Meanwhile, the First Order will be trying to capitalize on what happened in TFA to destroy the Resistance/Republic.

There will be no real time skip between the end of TFA and the opening, at most a few days. Betting the opening scene will feature Kylo, followed by Finn waking up. Then cut back to Ach'to.

Speculation as well:
    I think there will be some amount of convincing Luke to teach but the majority of Rey's time will be spent with the actual teaching. This will be shown in contrast with Kylo Ren's training. This will illuminate what happened in the past with Luke's school and all that. I expect parallel and contrasting arcs here. And personally, I'm expecting a Rey moves towards the bad side, Kylo Ren moves towards the good side ending here.

Finn will be off with Poe on some adventure related to the political situation.

I would not be surprised if this ends with Rey running off to save them somehow or something which leads to bad things.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Killing off all the trio would certainly let Disney orient the franchise away from the Legends continuity, who had an almost obsessive fascination by making sure every single one of them was involved in every Important Event. It gets repetitive and predictable when they've done it over a hundred times, and counting. It gets very silly when a really old Han and Leia are running around having adventures like they're teenagers.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't like the subtitle smashed inside the title. It immediately read as Star the Last Jedi Wars to me. Otherwise, cool sub and the coloring is ominous.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I just really want it to not have anyone lose a hand.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I just really want it to not have anyone lose a hand.

Come on now, I can count on one hand the number of Star Wars movies this happens in.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Stolen from someone on Twitter - both movies now make a sentence:

The Force Awakens the Last Jedi.

Don't know what it means though.

Episode IX: For One Last Job

And together, they fight crime.

Oh my god, this is brilliant.

zpxxfqyepr5o.png

Sorry for the offtopic (but hey, there is a Stormtrooper involved, so slightly on-topic).

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:
    I think there will be some amount of convincing Luke to teach but the majority of Rey's time will be spent with the actual teaching. This will be shown in contrast with Kylo Ren's training. This will illuminate what happened in the past with Luke's school and all that. I expect parallel and contrasting arcs here. And personally, I'm expecting a Rey moves towards the bad side, Kylo Ren moves towards the good side ending here.

I would not be surprised if this ends with Rey running off to save them somehow or something which leads to bad things.

My theory on this title is that
    Luke is the last Jedi and wanted to keep it that way. I think he realized that both Jedi and Sith are nothing but fanatics on opposing ends of the force and that balance only lives somewhere in the grey area in between the two. He's going to train Rey in the ways of the force but not in the ways of the Jedi. Ultimately we're both going to see Rey and Kylo become the start of a new order that has moved beyond the concepts of dark side Vs light.

Titles is red because it's referencing both Sith in a thematic way and Jedi in a direct way. I think that the idea fits pretty thematically when you consider our real-world climate today.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I hope The Last Jedi refers to Luke. Not like... "Oh Luke kinda trains Rey and then dies, now she's the last Jedi!" I want it to heavily feature Luke being a badass Jedi master effing up tons of First Order pricks, and slapping around that massive douche, Kylo Ren.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I hope The Last Jedi refers to Luke. Not like... "Oh Luke kinda trains Rey and then dies, now she's the last Jedi!" I want it to heavily feature Luke being a badass Jedi master effing up tons of First Order pricks, and slapping around that massive douche, Kylo Ren.

Could be plural, Rey and Luke being the last Jedi - or the obvious.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:

Luke is the last Jedi and wanted to keep it that way. I think he realized that both Jedi and Sith are nothing but fanatics on opposing ends of the force and that balance only lives somewhere in the grey area in between the two. He's going to train Rey in the ways of the force but not in the ways of the Jedi. Ultimately we're both going to see Rey and Kylo become the start of a new order that has moved beyond the concepts of dark side Vs light.

Titles is red because it's referencing both Sith in a thematic way and Jedi in a direct way. I think that the idea fits pretty thematically when you consider our real-world climate today.

Yes. Go go Potentium Heresy.

There have been about a dozen instances of "maybe the Jedi are/were wrong" in the old EU, but good ol' Uncle George slapped them each down pretty quickly. At one point, Qui-Gon was a Potentium Heretic (or the version that was era-appropriate).

I'd love to see it as the validated in-universe reality.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:

There have been about a dozen instances of "maybe the Jedi are/were wrong" in the old EU, but good ol' Uncle George slapped them each down pretty quickly. At one point, Qui-Gon was a Potentium Heretic (or the version that was era-appropriate).

Agreed. A lot of the more interesting characters have dabbled in the middle too - Ulic Qel Droma and Quinlan Voss come to mind (though it's been years since I've been deep into this stuff). Not to mention KOTOR 2 had themes along the same lines, so it's not unprecedented.

• Options
    There is to be NO REDEMPTION for Kylo Ren!

He knows what he did. >:[ The sentence... is death!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    There is no death.

There is the Force.

Kylo is not a Jedi, he doesn't get to use Jedi code. He gets death.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Seriously...its not like Kylo killed his Dad in a fit of Dark side induced rage. He did it methodically and purposefully in order get over this "hump" of being a good kid.

Its not a crime of passion...it was first degree and then some. Dude's getting the sabre (or a long fall in an illogical pit). They'll make the audience work for it though.

• Options
    Yeah, he doesn't get to be a blue ghost and hang out with Obi-Wan and the others. They'd shun him and run him off... even Anakin slaying the younglings pales in comparison to his heinous crime!

Then they start hanging out with the blue ghost of a kind of intense fellow named Matt. He was a radar technician on Starkiller Base.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:

They've touched on it in both Clone Wars and Rebels a bit.

• Options
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:

I really doubt this. It's not in the style of what the movies have ever wanted to do.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The Last Jedi is talking about
    Luke and how he passes that torch onto Rey.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Also seems to fit how each movie is the swan-song of one of the main three: Han, Luke, Leia.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:

I really doubt this. It's not in the style of what the movies have ever wanted to do.

The prequels are pretty explicit about both religions being terrible.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Luke also trained as a Jedi for a month, tops.

Assuming Rey receives a similar amount of training from him, she's not really a Jedi in any meaningful way besides maybe outlook.

The Order that trained Obi-Wan is essentially dead already.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Luke also trained as a Jedi for a month, tops.

Assuming Rey receives a similar amount of training from him, she's not really a Jedi in any meaningful way besides maybe outlook.

The Order that trained Obi-Wan is essentially dead already.

So obviously it mean they intend to bring in Ahsoka and Kanan.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:

Not really, no. They are, perhaps, about the jedi being overly stodgy and blind to what is coming but they are 100% on the side that Jedi are good and Sith are evil.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    uULu4I4.jpg

Agreed.
    Speculation:

Speculation as well:

Not really, no. They are, perhaps, about the jedi being overly stodgy and blind to what is coming but they are 100% on the side that Jedi are good and Sith are evil.

At most the movies portray the protagonists as good people, but the Jedi Order is consistently depicted as a group of incompetent bureaucrats. They're not the cool wandering samurai like a lot of people thought they would/should be, they're bored office workers. The prequels have nothing good to say about the state of the Jedi.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Logo is red. That seems ominous.

It's fine. If it's red during the title crawl, then you should be worried.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Logo is red. That seems ominous.

It's fine. If it's red during the title crawl, then you should be worried.

The red denotes the return of lightsaber dismemberment instead of the lamer lightsaber impalements?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Common comment on Reddit is that the title for VII released two weeks before the Super Bowl and then a trailer was released during the week of the Super Bowl. Which is matching up perfectly with what is happening now so expect a trailer in two weeks (edit) which coincidentally means it would come during the Super Bowl!

But then wikipedia has completely conflicting data on trailer release dates (22 days after the title release) so I don't even know.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    lightsaber fleshwounds

Gvzbgul on
This discussion has been closed.