As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Fifth Republican Primary Debate] Thread: Watching Sober Not Recommended

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Okay, so there's yet another one of these things tonight. Once again, the rundown, courtesy of Politico (a.k.a. Tiger Beat on the Potomac):
When is the next Republican presidential debate?
The fifth Republican presidential debate will be Tuesday, Dec. 15th, live from The Venetian in Las Vegas. It will be hosted by CNN and Salem Radio.

What time and how long is the debate?
The first of the night’s debates – the undercard forum – starts at 6 PM EST, which means the prime time session doesn’t begin until 8:30 EST. A CNN spokesperson says details on formatting are to come, though one network announcement notes that the web stream of the debate lasts until 11 PM EST.

How can I watch the debate?
The debate will air on CNN and stream for free at www.cnn.com, which earned the network an additional four million viewers during their Sept. 16 debate. No cable subscription is necessary to stream. CNN also will allow access to the debate on mobile devices. Radio listeners can tune into any Salem Network broadcast across the country.

Who will participate in the debate?
The prime time debate includes Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Carly Fiorina, Chris Christie, Rand Paul, and John Kasich. The undercard features Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, Lindsey Graham, and George Pataki.
The qualifications for this debate are a twist on recent standards: it’s the first 2016 debate that features polling from the early voting states. Candidates with an average of at least 4 percent in selected polling from either Iowa or New Hampshire earned a spot in Las Vegas. Candidates with an average of at least 3.5 percent in national polling between Oct. 29 and Dec. 13 also made the stage.

Where will they stand on stage?
With an odd number of candidates participating in the main debate, Trump is now truly centerstage. To his left will be Cruz, Bush, Christie, and Paul, and to his right will be Carson, Rubio, Fiorina, and Kasich.

Who will moderate the debate?
Wolf Blitzer will be the primary moderator. Hugh Hewitt--returning from the last CNN Republican debate--will contribute questions, as will CNN’s Dana Bash. The format should feel familiar, with CNN simply swapping out Jake Tapper for Blitzer. In October, Blitzer was part of a contentious exchange with Ben Carson over some of Carson’s comments on gun control. (Any buzzer sounds used at the debate might trigger flashbacks for Blitzer, who lost in a rout in an episode of Celebrity Jeopardy in 2009.)

Will there be a new approach to taking on Donald Trump?
With concerns from the RNC and “establishment” conservatives such as Mitch McConnell, Trump is privy to a new level of internal scrutiny, facing the prospect of a brokered convention if he’s successful in the primaries. Trump has spoken of running as an independent, which was echoed on Friday by Ben Carson, who threatened to leave the Republican Party if he deemed it too unfriendly to less orthodox candidates.

Could this debate seal the deal for Ted Cruz in Iowa?
With Cruz surging in the Iowa polls, endorsements rolling in, and conservatives starting to treat him as a sober alternative to Donald Trump, a strong performance on stage will likely propel him that much closer to winning the first round of 2016. Trump has insisted that the moment he starts attacking Cruz, the Texas Senator will suffer (he referred to Cruz as a “maniac” Sunday morning), but Cruz has shown durability as a Trump alternative. He took a commanding lead in Iowa polling over the weekend. There’s only one Republican debate after the next one before Iowans flock to the caucuses.

How important is this for Rand Paul?
The political world speculated all weekend about Paul's likely demise, but his team says it was all nonsense. No doubt, he’s struggling to gain any traction in the polls. But his team is holding events and CNN made space for him on the main debate stage, giving him another chance to make an impression.

What about Jeb Bush?
Money talks, and it’s telling Jeb Bush he doesn’t have to go anywhere. Some of Bush’s most vocal advocates are still pleading with Republicans about his singular electability. It's still unclear though whether a strong performance on stage or on the stump can generate some points in the polls for the one-time front-runner.

When is the sixth Republican debate?
The sixth Republican debate and first presidential primary debate of 2016 is scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 14 in South Carolina at the North Charleston Coliseum and Performing Arts Center. Fox Business Network will return as the host; the network received praise from the Republican Party after they sufficiently tempered the fury following the widely criticized October CNBC debate.

When is the next Democratic debate?
With a return to the weekend format used last time, Clinton, Sanders, and O’Malley will debate this Saturday at 8 PM at Saint Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire. The debate will be hosted by ABC News, the New Hampshire Democratic Party, WMUR-TV, and the Union Leader. David Muir, Martha Raddatz, and Josh McElveen will moderate.

As pointed out, the poll requirements were altered to consider early state polling, resulting in Christie returning to the varsity team, and Graham and Pataki being welcomed back to the JV squad. Also, with nine people in the main debate, the layout is thus:

151213085036-prime-time-debate-podium-exlarge-169.jpg

Yes, it's pretty much a menorah of mendacity, with Trump as shamash. (He's probably got enough hair product in him to burn for eight days and eight nights on his own.)

So, will any of the not-Trumps be able to take down the Don? Will Fiorina spout off new Planned Parenthood conspiracy theories? Will Carson demand the Luxor surrender its grain reserve? Will ¿Jeb? live up to the soft bigotry of the low expectations everyone has of him now?

Also, a few guidelines, so as to keep The Management happy, and not ban-happy:

1. This is the Republican debate thread, not the primary thread. If you have something to say that's primary related, but not debate related, you know where to go.
2. This is the Republican debate thread. Yes, the Democratic debate is this weekend, and there will be a thread for it then.
3. Discussing your choice of alcohol to dull the pain of the debate is a valid (and recommended!) topic. Again, we do not recommend watching this sober.
4. Given the crowd in this debate, the chance for Episode VII spoilers is high. Make sure you spoiler tag any that come up.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I've already got the CPT Morgan in mah system.

I primed myself.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This thread, brought to you by alcohol, because your liver might hate you, but your brain can't face derp of this magnitude without protection.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I have a 12 pack of beer, a thimble, a 5 gallon bucket, and a hammer.

I think I'm ready.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I have the willpower to limit my exposure through the filter of y'all. So I'm set.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    I've duck taped my patio door shut just in case I'm taken with the sudden urge to jump off the balcony.

Also I have a brand new bottle of this to help me out:
    jefferson_s-reserve-groth-reserve-cask-finish-very-old-straight-bourbon-whiskey-1_1.jpg

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Heading to the local bar to watch this one. Only going to do the main event, don't think my liver would survive if it had to last through the warm-up act too.

Remember folks, one of these people is going to get around 45% of the vote next year!

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I spent my PT today on the punching bag just in case anyone opens a time portal.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wait, how do we get to Ep VII spoilers here?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Here is the top two things I hope will happen tonight:

1) Donald Trump calls Ted Cruz a godless Canadian, asks him to provide his long form birth certificate.
    2) Carly Fiorina's eyelids finally tire themselves out, causing her blinking to pause just long enough for her brain to finally escape through her eye sockets.

What are you hoping for to happen in this most glorious night?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    notdroid wrote: »
    Here is the top two things I hope will happen tonight:

1) Donald Trump calls Ted Cruz a godless Canadian, asks him to provide his long form birth certificate.
    2) Carly Fiorina's eyelids finally tire themselves out, causing her blinking to pause just long enough for her brain to finally escape through her eye sockets.

What are you hoping for to happen in this most glorious night?

My list is in the OP.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Here's a proper link to the debate for convenience. Should be free for everyone.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/14/politics/republican-debate-live-updates/index.html

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I want an open carry dildo question.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It'll be interesting to see the questions CNN throws, since the GOP has been treating them like a punching bag so much these past months, and with Trumps attempted extortion, I wonder if they'll end up punching back a bit?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see the questions CNN throws, since the GOP has been treating them like a punching bag so much these past months, and with Trumps attempted extortion, I wonder if they'll end up punching back a bit?

Are they sending in Candy Crowley to sooth their concerns?

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I've got a mostly full whiskey bottle, a half full fireball bottle in case of emergency, and an apparently endless wine fridge.

Bring it on

Khavall on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

It's CNN, my bet is they'll cave in and throw softballs/lose control of the debate.

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    Barley wine is my drink of choice for the debates enough alcohol to numb the pain with a sweeping hoppy bitterness that complements my distaste for most of the candidates.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I've decided to sit out this debate and go play DnD...for the good of The Republic.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    These guys are so frightened of their own shadow.

• Options
    These guys are so frightened of their own shadow.

But not frightened enough that they would ever think that their shadow shouldn't be able to buy a gun at will.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Santorum: I don't know anything about Islam.

Huckabee: We need to insert spies into mosques.

• Options
    DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
    My stream doesn't seem to be working but that's probably for the best

• Options
    Santorum: I don't know anything about ISIS.

• Options
    Santorum: I don't know anything about ISIS.

If we take their land, then they'll have to roll a hurt die, and if they get a 5 or 6, then the islamic rules state that they have to take a negative attribute, which under the ISIS rulebook means that they aren't legitimate anymore, and their +5 mental domination goes away!

• Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    Huckabee: No college for you, just death.

• Options
    Huckabee seems to want to force all young men to join the military to earn their freedom.

Also, we need bodies to throw at the meat grinder.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, this is pretty awful so far.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    We're getting closer to Starship Troopers, apparently, where people don't get the rights of citizens until they've served in the armed forces. Let me know when the power armor gets released!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Rick Santorum just accused other Republicans of not wanting to defeat ISIS

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    Rick Santorum just accused other Republicans of not wanting to defeat ISIS

How would they scare us if they did?

Also, someone page Joe Haldeman to come smack Huckabee.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I guess this is the part of the debate where we find out how many times they can talk about destroying enemies and blaming Obama for being a pussy.

• Options
    Graham: I don't know anything about history.

• Options
    Yeah we wouldn't be in this mess if GWB was our president!

I mean, mostly because the USA probably wouldn't actually exist anymore, because the economy would've completely collapsed, but... we wouldn't be in this mess probably?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    These people are still running?

• Options
    So, uh, I'm wondering how he would've stayed in Iraq. If I remember correctly, Obama offered to stay but the Iraqi president insisted that US troops be held accountable under Iraqi law instead of US Military law if they did and that was a total non-starter. Is he suggesting we should've stayed there against the will of their government as an occupying force?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Wasn't Huckabee literally just rallying against leading from behind? It sure sounds like he's complaining about leading from the front.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Princess Bride reference ftw!!!

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    So, uh, I'm wondering how he would've stayed in Iraq. If I remember correctly, Obama offered to stay but the Iraqi president insisted that US troops be held accountable under Iraqi law instead of US Military law if they did and that was a total non-starter. Is he suggesting we should've stayed there against the will of their government as an occupying force?

No, he is just making up bullshit.

Uhh....

Wow...

Like..

Do you actually understand the concept of inconceivable in connection with the princess bride?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I am not sure it is a serious policy position so much as an effort to rehabilitate the Republican brand by claiming Bush won the Iraq War and everything bad in the Middle East (but especially ISIS) is Obama's fault (and by extension, Hillary Clinton's fault).

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Most bullies don't have nuclear arsenals.