As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Justin Trudeau's Great Canadian Electoral Reform Personality Test

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Does anyone here care that Maryam Monsef was born in Iran and not Afghanistan? People are saying it's a big deal and she should resign from cabinet, but after reading a bit about it, I honestly don't give a damn. It may have consequences for her immigration status, which is more an issue with immigration laws than with her, but beyond that it just seems like a really minor thing.

Seriously, am I off base here? Is this a major scandal that I'm simply too jaded to recognize?

I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue being blown out of proportion

Edit: a quick Google had it being compared to the Birther conspiracy, so yeah. Non-issue.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Does anyone here care that Maryam Monsef was born in Iran and not Afghanistan? People are saying it's a big deal and she should resign from cabinet, but after reading a bit about it, I honestly don't give a damn. It may have consequences for her immigration status, which is more an issue with immigration laws than with her, but beyond that it just seems like a really minor thing.

Seriously, am I off base here? Is this a major scandal that I'm simply too jaded to recognize?

Edit: a quick Google had it being compared to the Birther conspiracy, so yeah. Non-issue.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. There was an editorial in the G&M, so I thought it might be a thing, but I just remembered that the G&M editorial board is full of crap. We're really scraping the bottom of the scandal barrel these days. It makes one long for the days of $90,000 backroom cheques.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. There was an editorial in the G&M, so I thought it might be a thing, but I just remembered that the G&M editorial board is full of crap. We're really scraping the bottom of the scandal barrel these days. It makes one long for the days of $90,000 backroom cheques.

Kinda like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/30/rona-ambrose-stornoway-residence-charges-expense_n_12263618.html?ncid=tweetlnkcahpmg00000002

Until you read that she needed to break her lease on her condo to move into Stornoway (as is her right as the leader of the opposition).

I hate waste but there is a cost to running a goverment. Trudeau is really dropping the ball on generating scandals.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    It sounds like a horrifying experience for her mother to have gone through, and shame on the opposition members who are using a terrifying refugee situation to try to make political hay. Hopefully this prods the Liberals into gear to get rid of that Harper law they promised they'd get rid of.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    It sounds like a horrifying experience for her mother to have gone through, and shame on the opposition members who are using a terrifying refugee situation to try to make political hay. Hopefully this prods the Liberals into gear to get rid of that Harper law they promised they'd get rid of.

They've been backtracking on a lot of anti-Harper stuff lately.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

I know, and I'm making angryface at them for it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I do mostly agree that it is a non issue. And `00% it doesn't affect her ability to do her job. However the one thing is does show is a lack of vetting by the Liberals. If a journalist could find the information relatively easily, why didn't/couldn't the liberals? It just makes them look a little silly when President Obama actually singled her out in the House of Commons when he was here, for something that actually isn't true.

So again, not really an issue on her ability to do her job, and I don't care in that regard, but it shows a lack of research/vetting by the Liberals. That's the part where I raise an eyebrow a bit.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I do mostly agree that it is a non issue. And `00% it doesn't affect her ability to do her job. However the one thing is does show is a lack of vetting by the Liberals. If a journalist could find the information relatively easily, why didn't/couldn't the liberals? It just makes them look a little silly when President Obama actually singled her out in the House of Commons when he was here, for something that actually isn't true.

So again, not really an issue on her ability to do her job, and I don't care in that regard, but it shows a lack of research/vetting by the Liberals. That's the part where I raise an eyebrow a bit.

They had no reason to doubt her though. Like, she said her mom never told her about it, so why would anyone without an agenda think otherwise?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

They had no reason to doubt her though. Like, she said her mom never told her about it, so why would anyone without an agenda think otherwise?

Because in politics people lie, and you should properly vet anyone who you're wanting to put into a high level position. I'm not saying she lied, or knew. I fully believe she didn't know. But that doesn't change that she should have been vetted. It just raises the question of "if they missed this, what else have they missed about other people?"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Because in politics people lie, and you should properly vet anyone who you're wanting to put into a high level position. I'm not saying she lied, or knew. I fully believe she didn't know. But that doesn't change that she should have been vetted. It just raises the question of "if they missed this, what else have they missed about other people?"

i'm not sure i understand why her birth country being Iran instead of being Afghanistan changes anything about how she can do her job? Like..... isn't she already a citizen? Wasn't she already a politicien before the vetting process happened? How would her birth country be relevant in the vetting process?

• Options

i'm not sure i understand why her birth country being Iran instead of being Afghanistan changes anything about how she can do her job? Like..... isn't she already a citizen? Wasn't she already a politicien before the vetting process happened? How would her birth country be relevant in the vetting process?

As I said above, I do not believe it affects her ability to do her job. I am not questioning that at all. The vetting process is supposed to find out all of the background/information about a person, that way there are no surprises at all. You vet people so you don't have surprises after the fact, no matter what those surprises are. And again, even if they would have known, it doesn't affect her ability to do her job, but politics is 100% about message management and they put a lot of stock and message management into the fact that she was the first Canadian cabinet minister born in Afghanistan, to the point where the US president even singled her out for it, when it isn't true, and it just make the liberals look silly from a PR/messaging standpoint. So she's from Iran? that's fine. It would have let them craft a different message about her, one just as fine, and they wouldn't have to look a bit silly after the fact.

Again, cannot stress this enough, this is not about her at all. It is just about the Liberals vetting process, and the question as to how good it is. But you can be sure that's a mistake they won't make again, which is a good thing for everyone.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

As I said above, I do not believe it affects her ability to do her job. I am not questioning that at all. The vetting process is supposed to find out all of the background/information about a person, that way there are no surprises at all. You vet people so you don't have surprises after the fact, no matter what those surprises are. And again, even if they would have known, it doesn't affect her ability to do her job, but politics is 100% about message management and they put a lot of stock and message management into the fact that she was the first Canadian cabinet minister born in Afghanistan, to the point where the US president even singled her out for it, when it isn't true, and it just make the liberals look silly from a PR/messaging standpoint. So she's from Iran? that's fine. It would have let them craft a different message about her, one just as fine, and they wouldn't have to look a bit silly after the fact.

Again, cannot stress this enough, this is not about her at all. It is just about the Liberals vetting process, and the question as to how good it is. But you can be sure that's a mistake they won't make again, which is a good thing for everyone.

i mean, it's like if you check whether every political candidate likes long haired carpets.
    it serves no purpose, so i don't see why it needs to be found out in the vetting process?

Like, AFAIK, very few people (basically just her close family) even knew and they probably didn't have much of a reason to not stick to the established story.

i just don't get how it's in any way relevant. It was in the news this week and all i could think was "uh, okay? So? how is this relevant to anyone other than Maryam Monsef and her family?"

i don't think it's disingenuous to say that she's from Afghanistan since she did spend a good part of her childhood there, from what i read? Plus, didn't she end up in Canada pretty early on in her life?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I had to google this because this is the only place I've heard this being discussed.

So, her family is Afghani, and were refugees in Iran at the time of Maryam's birth. However, her mom had told her that she was born while they were still in Afghanistan, and she only found out when the Globe dug up the story.

I'm curious why the Liberals were somehow supposed to know to place extra scrutiny on this one cabinet minister's mother when vetting? What makes her stand out to you that you would expect them to go the extra distance?

Maryam Monsef didn't know about this until the article. That's not in dispute.

She's not responsible for what someone else says or does.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Yeah, this seems like the definition of a non-story.
    1) It doesn't in any way affect her ability to do her job, or her qualifications.
    2) She legitimately didn't know, so she hasn't lied about anything.
    3) It's a pretty pedantic detail. She's still of Afghani heritage, and grew up in Afghanistan.

Anyone who cares about this story was probably already looking for some kind of "scandal" from the Trudeau government. It's partisan hackery disguised as "Just asking questions. What else could they be hiding?".

For the record, the Rona Ambrose expense thing also seems like a non-story from what I've read.

I'm all for keeping elected officials accountable, but this kind of mud slinging doesn't serve anyone.

• Options

I'll ask it again, in a different way: why would anyone without a partisan agenda even try?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Political cartoon in Halifax today;
    1609305rchr.jpg

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I feel like Russia or North Korea should be red.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    definitely russia

• Options
    edited October 2016

I know, and I'm making angryface at them for it.

Coincidentally, Thomas Walkom wrote on this today: Trudeau government remains oddly Harperesque: Walkom

Edit: While I'm at it: Prominent security expert says legislation fatally flawed:
    Bills C51 and C22 need to be repealed and rewritten, says constitutional lawyer Paul Cavalluzzo

Cavalluzzo believes C51 should be repealed for several crucial reasons.

First, C51 lacks real, “adequate” oversight by an independent experts’ tribunal that would have the power, money and resources to look into all of the agencies that make up Canada’s cobweb-like security intelligence matrix. ...

Second, Cavalluzzo says C51 allows 21 mostly anonymous federal agencies to share personal information about “you or me” with little, if any, constraints, transparency or accountability. In fact, most of those departments and agencies have no existing oversight.

Third, in Cavalluzzo’s view, C51, in effect, “criminalizes speech” since the wording contained in the law around the “promotion” or “advocating” of “terrorism” is too broad and vague and could see an untold number of Canadians being charged with an indictable offence.

“The problem with that,” Cavalluzzo adds, “is that no one knows, in general, what terrorism means.”

Finally, and, for Cavalluzzo, perhaps most offensively, C51 gives CSIS the ability to go to federal court to get authorization “to violate” the Charter of Rights.

“The Charter of Rights is the supreme law of the land and no judge in this country can authorize its violation,” he says.

Bad legislation is bad.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Al_wat wrote: »
    definitely russia

I'm honestly not even sure if Russia really wants it. I mean... Trump might actually be crazy enough to be the one to press the button to launch nuclear weapons....

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I know its a small sample size or whatever

but the two actual Russians that i know both:

-Hate Clinton

-Love Trump

-Love Putin

-Believe as 100% truth all Russian media and 100% lies all American Western media

Al_wat on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    definitely russia

I'm honestly not even sure if Russia really wants it. I mean... Trump might actually be crazy enough to be the one to press the button to launch nuclear weapons....

well they invested enough money in to his campaign.

• Options

-Hate Clinton

-Love Trump

-Love Putin

-Believe as 100% truth all Russian media and 100% lies all American Western media

Even that one Russian paper that's critical of Putin?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

-Hate Clinton

-Love Trump

-Love Putin

Even that one Russian paper that's critical of Putin?

American sponsored propaganda, of course.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Montreal pit bull ban temporarily suspended after only a few hours.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Montreal pit bull ban temporarily suspended after only a few hours.

It's a good call by the judge since regardless of your feelings on the bylaw itself there's little reason it can't wait till a ruling to be enforced. Or not if the city loses.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Whether real change will come to the RCMP or not, that is one of the better public apologies that I have seen. It is especially evident when contrasted with Trump's apology.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Good old Alberta political news

We have a variety of names being thrown in the hat for leader of the Alberta "Progressive" Conservative party..

We have Jason Kenney who wants to "Unite the Right" and merge with the Wildrose to form a stronger conservative party (oh and one that isn't divided)

Ric McIver (current interim leader) - Pablum Personafied imo

Richard Starke - not a direwolf

Donna Kennedy-Glans Quit the Conservative party during Redfords reign citing "concerns over a culture of entitlement, top-down management and lack of fiscal discipline"

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Definitely had to google "pablum"... Solid word!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So, House of Commons fiscal reports for the first half of 2016 are out. You'll never guess which MP has spent the most taxpayer money.

And by "never" I mean "right away if you just picked the one who spends her time attacking the government for spending taxpayer money".

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Richy wrote: »
    So, House of Commons fiscal reports for the first half of 2016 are out. You'll never guess which MP has spent the most taxpayer money.

And by "never" I mean "right away if you just picked the one who spends her time attacking the government for spending taxpayer money".

damn..
    thats some interesting numbers, I can see how the interim leader of the Cons has a higher amount as they are trying to rebuild after getting owned by the liberals.. though some of the ones below her... the rep from Delta BC... spending 280,000+ .. on what? ]

2nd place is the fort Mac dude.. and well I could see more cash being spent there due to the place being burnt to the ground and then drowned.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I don't begrudge politicians things like a "designated traveller" at all. It's good for people to be able to do their job and have a family at the same time.

Speaking of which, somebody who has a designated traveller shouldn't begrudge the PM a nanny...

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I have no problem with the designated traveller stuff.
    Overall, I don't see anything objectionable there. If this is what it costs to run a govt then so be it.

Call me when people start buying their friends and kids cars.

• Options
    I deeply appreciate the level of context put forth in that article. Dunno if that's Akin's doing or whoever his editor was, but it's extremely clear that the raw numbers themselves mean very little.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I deeply appreciate the level of context put forth in that article. Dunno if that's Akin's doing or whoever his editor was, but it's extremely clear that the raw numbers themselves mean very little.

It was a good article, I had to double check that it was the national post.

edit: changed "hate" to "had". Must have had hate in my mind for some reason... oh yeah, National Post.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Plane crash in Kelowna where 4 people have died including Jim Prentice, former Alberta Premier

EDIT: Here's a more reputable source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jim-prentice-plane-crash-killed-1.3804941

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Very sad to hear Mr. Prentice has passed away. When I worked for an MLA in Calgary, his EA would talk a lot about working with Prentice and how nice a man he was.

• Options
    re: the MP spending; without context the numbers mean very little. I think this will be useful data over time as we have more data points to compare to. Do we know if Rona Ambrose spent more/less/the same as Mulcair when he was the opposition leader? Comparing numbers to the equivalent predecessors while accounting for inflation is what I would like to see, and that will only come in the future.

About Jim Prentice: sad to hear. I think he was fairly underrated as a politician, and when he went to Alberta there was no way to save the PC party at that point. People say he drove the final nail into the coffin but at best it was a finishing nail. That party had lost the election before he even took over as leader.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Its either Castlegar or Kelowna that has a pretty good angled turn to get out and into the airport.. its been awhile since I have flown in to either so I can't remember which was which... Either way terrible news, while his look in the mirror comment didn't help I agree with Wunderbar that he was handed a turd (much like the NDP after the PC left)

Oh.. looks like it is both.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041