As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Justin Trudeau's Great Canadian Electoral Reform Personality Test

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    they performed the DNA test late

...How late? That can be pretty big deal.
    general consensus is he did

Well, in fairness, that's all you really need for a jury trial.

Well, not really fair. General consensus is not helpful, the higher the media profile of a particular case before the courts, the more likely people are to think the person is guilty, with or without all the evidence brought to the court.

right. outside consensus is not the same as consensus in the jury. The media and reporting of the events can heavily sway opinion. plus the general public doesnt have to abide by the strict rules of trial and jury considerations.

The late testing was an issue that the police had a length of time for the warrant and evidence. the testing occurred after the end date of the warrant. The judge let the jacket come into evidence, basically stating that it was a procedural error. There was also some things with a cell phone, trying to pinpoint the son's location using the fact that his cell phone used a tower nearby, but from all reporting it seemed like a pretty flimsy way of putting the son in the office.

Yeah; there's not really a way to do that.

The jacket just seems pretty damning to me (both that it had the victim's blood on it and that he lied about wearing it).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    So, I've never even heard of this case until now, and I have done no research on it. All my information is coming from this thread, so I apologize if I say something that's not even relevent, also IANAL, but...

I was a jury member for a murder trial, and it's really goddamn hard. The trouble with things like lies and contradictions is that everybody lies and everybody contradicts themselves.

My trial took place almost 3 years after charges were laid, and that's not even a super long time as far as these things go. It turns out that nobody goddamn remembers what they're doing or wearing 2 days later, much less 2 years.

There was a lot of confusion in my trial as witnesses told different stories between their actual testimony, their police interviews, and their pre-trial testimony. And you better believe that both sides are milking these contradictions as much as possible to show unreliability in some way.

Mix that in with "sometimes people lie because they don't want to get in trouble", "witnesses are filled to the brim with bias", "the police investigation can be sorely lacking because it's not always apparent at the time what evidence is important and what evidence isn't", and so much more and it's a right bastard to untangle.

I wouldn't want to do it again, and my general position is that unless you go to the court for every day of the proceedings, you should accept the verdict that's handed down by people who have.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.

(sorry popped into my head today and been chuckling ever since)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.

(sorry popped into my head today and been chuckling ever since)

troof

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Good for him! Nice to see a politician set an example with wellness instead of using it as damage control after a scandal.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, Harper's former bandmate was sentenced to 2 years for statutory rape of a 13 year old girl.

Also, "tryst" is not a proper way to describe a teacher grooming and abusing his student. At all.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Was it the drummer? I'm being it was the drummer.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Forget penetration. It's about consent. Legally, of course, she couldn't give it. But in the average everyday sense, she did

...Just keep being you, Ottawa Sun. Stay classy.

:+1:

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Forget penetration. It's about consent. Legally, of course, she couldn't give it. But in the average everyday sense, she did

I have to ask - is that par for the course for the Sun?

• Options

Yes. All of Sun Media's former papers (Sun Media now being defunct, because it turns out nobody wants to buy rags that basically amount to elaborate snarky shitposts anymore) follow the same MO & format: pick a sensitive issue from a hat (usually tied to a Tory politician, but not always) and just go full tilt troll.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

Yes. All of Sun Media's former papers (Sun Media now being defunct, because it turns out nobody wants to buy rags that basically amount to elaborate snarky shitposts anymore) follow the same MO & format: pick a sensitive issue from a hat (usually tied to a Tory politician, but not always) and just go full tilt troll.

Sheesh. How sad do you have to be to become a low rent Murdoch ripoff?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Was it the drummer? I'm being it was the drummer.

You would be correct.

Here is the CBC article on the matter:

• Options
    I'm linking this op-ed on Edmonton's new light rail project, just for this one line:
    Taken together, the whole project is the equivalent of a candy company releasing a new chocolate bar called Herpes Al-Qaeda. I struggle to understand how such an obviously horrific idea was able to pass so many levels of approval and be unleashed on an innocent and unsuspecting citizenry. And I’ve lived in Toronto.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

You joke, but the entire goal was to become a Murdoch rip-off. They even started a conservative news channel... which died.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    They also tried to get the government regulator to force them to be carried by the various cable/TV providers. Free market!

• Options
    edited January 2016

It's difficult to convey using words how much Sun Media wanted to be Fox News, but just couldn't quite get there. You'd basically have to comb through the microfilm archive while just looking on in stunned wonder at things like the 'Sunshine Girls' and cover stories about how bullied elementary school kids are totally just asking for it.

The best, though - as @hippofant said - was the short-lived tragedy that was Sun News Network. I'm not sure if clips from it still float around, but it's worth the effort to try and dig one up.
    I'm linking this op-ed on Edmonton's new light rail project...
    The chief problem is that the train was built at grade and cleaves through several major intersections. Traffic needs to be halted well in advance of its arrival, leading to the Kafkaesque nightmare of an intersection where all sides are given a red light for up to 90 seconds before a train arrives (if it does at all).

I’ve personally clocked a six-minute wait. A co-worker clocked an incredible 12 minutes. Online, disbelieving drivers have taken to Reddit to report waits of 15 minutes.

To put it in context, that’s about half the time needed to cross the entire city by highway from one “Welcome to Edmonton” sign to the other.

During these frequent traffic stoppages, a huge swath of northern Edmonton becomes a gridlocked nightmare of idling cars, trucks and city buses.

I’ve counted as many as four buses filled with a cumulative 40 people forced to wait the entire length of Gordon Lightfoot’s Canadian Railroad Trilogy (6:22) just so a train can pass by carrying fewer than half a dozen passengers.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha what the fuck?

We really need to either just swallow our damn pride and dig out subway tunnels or go vertical and build raised railways / maglev. Honestly the light rail in Calgary (while limited) did work just fine, and the Edmonton trains were okay when I was living there, but the whole concept of mixing road traffic with rail traffic was inevitably going to lead to this kind of mess. There's just not enough room for expansion.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

You joke, but the entire goal was to become a Murdoch rip-off. They even started a conservative news channel... which died.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Make a flippant comment, get your faith in humanity ground down.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    PEI coming under fire ( and other provinces) for its lack of women's health providers
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2426906/your-stories-navigating-canadas-abortion-provider-patchwork/

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm linking this op-ed on Edmonton's new light rail project, just for this one line:
    Taken together, the whole project is the equivalent of a candy company releasing a new chocolate bar called Herpes Al-Qaeda. I struggle to understand how such an obviously horrific idea was able to pass so many levels of approval and be unleashed on an innocent and unsuspecting citizenry. And I’ve lived in Toronto.

Yep, as someone who frequently travels between downtown and the north end, I have had to change all my routes to avoid this new LRT line.

The old LRT is almost flawless, and while it can cause some gridlock areas where it passes by Southgate, it is nothing close to as bad as the new line causes at Kingsway.

I have frequently had to sit and wait 6 minutes at a red light at 11pm for a pretty much empty train to pass by.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Why are the waits so long?

Calgary has an LRT that runs at city street level. I've never had to wait more than a couple minutes.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The article seems to explain why for the most part, but I didn't really grok it well enough to be able to summarize it.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Why are the waits so long?

Calgary has an LRT that runs at city street level. I've never had to wait more than a couple minutes.

Integrating the new switching system with the old one. And then the contracted company making the new system fucked up, but the city civil servants in charge of it didn't think that was worth telling city council until it was too late to really fix it. So fired the initial company, brought it another to fix it, fired some city employees over it as well.

So now trains have to run at reduced speed near the signals until they get it all sorted out leading to longer delays.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Wow all my fellow Edmontonians coming out of the woodwork.

Yeah this LRT line has been a complete boon-doggle. We have other lines running at grade, and while there were teething pains at first, the city civil engineers have been able to iron things out. This new line runs at grade, cuts through a rather old neighbourhood, and runs very close to a five way intersection. I had to proceed through this area returning from my dad's one night. Saturday night, near midnight, and I got stuck for 11 minutes waiting for trains to clear.

Of course we also have people who complain about raising taxes to pay for things in the city, and some NIMBY jackassery going on, so I guess you can't win.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    all sides are given a red light for up to 90 seconds before a train arrives (if it does at all).
    wait, what? it's an LRT, shouldn't it just be following regular streetcar rules of the road?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    well, I was worried about the prospects for the LRT being built in my area right now. But apparently it should be fine, so long as the city didn't hire jackasses and idiots to design the system that runs it?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    well, I was worried about the prospects for the LRT being built in my area right now. But apparently it should be fine, so long as the city didn't hire jackasses and idiots to design the system that runs it?

It is GRT though...

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »

It is GRT though...

True. hm.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Edmonton represent! I'm glad that the only hassle I have to deal with is the northeast section of the Henday under construction, and even that isn't bad since they don't block anything off during rush hours. It's going to be sooo nice once it's finished though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    From what I can see the LRT in Ottawa should be much better than all this when it's completed (in 2018). They're digging tunnels under downtown for one, and using existing transit-only infrastructure for most of the rest. I'm cautiously optimistic for now...?

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    From what I can see the LRT in Ottawa should be much better than all this when it's completed (in 2018). They're digging tunnels under downtown for one, and using existing transit-only infrastructure for most of the rest. I'm cautiously optimistic for now...?

So does the east-west line use the same path as the transit-way that the 95 uses, or does it deviate? I haven't lived in Ottawa since 2001, so curious how they developed out the LRT infrastructure.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Oats wrote: »

It is GRT though...

True. hm.

Though they are doing grade separation and dedicated rights of way, which should help

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

So does the east-west line use the same path as the transit-way that the 95 uses, or does it deviate? I haven't lived in Ottawa since 2001, so curious how they developed out the LRT infrastructure.

As far as I understand it, it pretty much follows the Transitway from Blair station in the East end out to Tunney's Pasture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Line

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

My understanding is that it'll run on/parallel to the transitway from Place D'Orleans to U of O (they're building an impressive-looking raised bridge just beside Hurdman station), and then there will be a tunnel under the downtown until it emerges to the west somewhere around Bayview or Lebreton(?), and then continue west to Bayshore on or beside the transitway. So generally along the 95 route, though continuing west instead of going south to Baseline.

Right now of course the whole eastern side of the transitway is closed up to Hurdman and there's all sorts of weird route shifts and such going on... but it should be worth it down the line.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    In BC political news, Medical Services Plan (MSP) is making the local Chek news due to a petition online from a lady in my village.

http://www.cheknews.ca/huge-groundswell-of-support-for-b-c-msp-premium-petition-128345/

Here is the direct link to the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/christy-clark-justin-trudeau-abolish-msp-premiums-in-bc

I think it makes a valid point especially due to how seasonal much of our variable net income is here in BC, a $150 a month isn't so bad in the summer but in the winter...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sadly, Canada has become a nation divided.

Literally.
    A newly constructed bridge in northern Ontario has heaved apart, indefinitely closing the Trans-Canada highway — the only road connecting Eastern and Western Canada.

The Nipigon River Bridge has been closed for "an indefinite time due to mechanical issues," according to the Ontario Provincial Police. The bridge remains open to pedestrian traffic.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The West! Run, we are free!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    PEI coming under fire ( and other provinces) for its lack of women's health providers
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2426906/your-stories-navigating-canadas-abortion-provider-patchwork/

Not surprising. It seems like every day the opinion page for the Charlottetown Guardian has another "Christian" pro-lifer calling people who get/perform abortions murderers and wanting politicians to make the "brave" choice and ban abortion on PEI(instead of just de facto banning it by not having anybody provide it).

Geddoe on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    i open the paper today and see an article saying "Tories press government to justify Saudi deal".

the sheer hypocrisy of those fuckers is insane. a deal YOU drafted while in power, you are now trying to use to smear the governing liberals?!

im not even commenting on the deal itself. just the behaviour of the conservatives.

edit:

"mr. clement ackowledges that the conservatives are asking for information they refused to release while in office under harper"

Al_wat on