As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer support - where to buy a nice computer desk?

HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
We all have a computer and we all need a place to put our computers. We (GF and I) are looking for a new smallish desk to put in the living room and we can't seem to find any suitable piece of furniture. We've been to: BestBuy, Target and Staples. Their models either have too much junk on top of the desk or the keyboard tray is too narrow to also fit the mouse and we can't stand having the mouse not on the same surface as the keyboard.

We want the simplest desk that has just a flat surface and a keyboard tray, no storage other useless other parts.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go, if it helps we are in the Albany NY area.

Also what do you guys have and where did you get it?

Handkor on

• Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Handkor wrote: »
    We all have a computer and we all need a place to put our computers. We (GF and I) are looking for a new smallish desk to put in the living room and we can't seem to find any suitable piece of furniture. We've been to: BestBuy, Target and Staples. Their models either have too much junk on top of the desk or the keyboard tray is too narrow to also fit the mouse and we can't stand having the mouse not on the same surface as the keyboard.

We want the simplest desk that has just a flat surface and a keyboard tray, no storage other useless other parts.

Anyone have suggestions on where to go, if it helps we are in the Albany NY area.

Also what do you guys have and where did you get it?

Ikea Jerker 31693_PE121155_S4.jpg

No problems in 6 Years

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd love to go to Ikea but the closest is in Long Island or Montreal (unless their website store locator sucks). Maybe online shopping will be the answer.

Handkor on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My brother has that Ikea desk as well and it works well enough. If they ship then that desk might be great for you.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    athenacomputerdeskky1.jpg

Athena makes a decent cheap computer desk. But this thing is huge. Easily holds dual lcds and my 360. Its not exactly what your looking for but its small enough in the corner of your room. Its very space efficient.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where do your feet go?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The beauty of those desks is that you don't have to put all the shelves on top. I got one from Target that had a myriad of shelf space up top that wouldn't fit anything I owned (20 inch monitor didn't help), so I simply didn't put it on there.

Next time you go look, make sure you look at what it would be without all the 1996-styled shelf space, built for 14 inch CRT monitors.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is a lack of a tray an absolute dealbreaker? 'cause I use a table along the lines of this:

b_school_computer_lab_table.sized.jpg

...that's about 9x3 feet (though you can find various other sizes for it) and it's been just wonderful, with no crap blocking your legs or limiting monitor size or anything. Simple, but extremily effective.

EDIT: Er, I picked it up at Walmart, but you can find stuff like that at a lot of places, specially those that do school/college furniture.

Sorenson on