As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] New Event, New Thread. Get a Move On!

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, boss rush is all Machina! Lightning spells for the win, right? I've still got plenty from Proud Clod back in the day, too. I'll just use my mage meta team, swap out Tyro for Rikku (she can even use Mana's Paean!) and easy win!

*gets to third fight*

Oh, right. :rotate:

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I hate the crawler. Granted him and spheremoph are 100x easier when they aren't right next to eachother. Press press counter counter press press everyone has few hundred life left. Go into fight with no healing no mitigation and start taking huge aoe damage. Good Times.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Got Yunalesca Ultimate down this morning. As others mentioned, it was even easier than previous yunalesca. For me she basically spammed Osmose in the final phase which was slightly irritating but didn't really affect much.

I brought Armor break, Boost, and Full break to get in as much damage as possible. Started Cloud with Self Sacrifice, and just went to town. A few spot heals here and there from some of the random holy attacks but finished the fight only losing 2 overall medals.

I hadn't considered farming Defender Z but given how easy it is to fight him with berserk it sounds like an amazing use of Stamina.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I found the X boss rush really pleasant/ fair. Lulu stacked with Thundaga and Thundaja, Rikku with Intimidate for fight 1, the rest just normal mitigation and DPS. Only trouble spot is the damage guy #3 does before you break his Negator, a couple of S/Ls fixed that though.

The three sisters were easy but kept stealing my Champion rating by ganging up on somebody before the heal could come out. Defender X today.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    I hate the crawler. Granted him and spheremoph are 100x easier when they aren't right next to eachother. Press press counter counter press press everyone has few hundred life left. Go into fight with no healing no mitigation and start taking huge aoe damage. Good Times.

Yeah, that was probably one of the few times doing dungeons I said screw it and used a camp refresh. Worth it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So I got a five star FFXII spear for my first/free draw (Danguro?). Is that pretty common or was I especially lucky?

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I've been thinking a lot about Gacha style games recently, since I spend a lot of my game time on either this, PAD, or Brave Frontier. I think there's another Square property that could make a really interesting transition to this style, and that's Valkyrie Profile.

Think about it.

The general play style would be dungeon-based, possibly similar to Brave Frontier in presentation. The Gacha element would be where you go and listen for death to find new souls. Then you could play through or watch the scene where the new character dies. You're always going to want new characters because in training them up and sending them to Asgard, you get gifted with equipment/abilities in return.

It's almost a perfect fit.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Delta Attack looks so cool. Worth getting hit by it.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I beat Defender Z without using berserk (don't have it crafted/honed, couldn't bother, especially since I'm not bothering with Rikku either). Took a couple reloads due to some bad timing where he would Blast Punch and then punch everyone rather quickly before I could react.

The trick was saving up my best damage abilities and soul breaks for the end of the fight. He never used blast punch on me in the first half of the battle. Power Breakdown and Protectga will drastically reduce the damage of his punch-all attack. Save up either a wall or haste RW SB for the second half. Don't take any actions with your dedicated healer except firing a Curaga/ja the second he starts the blast punch animation; otherwise, without haste, you're likely to get hit twice between heals, and that'll drop you. A secondary group heal option isn't bad to have, and regen can make a big difference too.

Of course if you're trying to master it then the answer is probably to just wait until 50% to start your berserks. It's okay if he does blast punch or his area attack rather than both, so adjust your methods accordingly (mitigation & slow burn first half, berserk & damage rush second half).

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    EDIT: accidentally left Double Post RM equipped

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Magus` wrote: Β»
    So I got a five star FFXII spear for my first/free draw (Danguro?). Is that pretty common or was I especially lucky?

That spear is a dagger, which makes it fantastic because everyone can use daggers. It's a bit on the weak side once it's fully leveled up, but it's still a great item. Your first pull as part of the tutorial is always a 5* weapon, but it varies between the Danjuro, an FFVI sword (Zantetsuken) and an FFVIII sword (Blitz Blade).

• Options
    Gotcha. Right now I'm running things until the game actually requires strategy. So far nothing required anything but hitting the auto button. On the downside all the front loaded stamina gems means I don't even get to use all my stamina before it refreshes.

• Options
    Gotcha. Right now I'm running things until the game actually requires strategy. So far nothing required anything but hitting the auto button. On the downside all the front loaded stamina gems means I don't even get to use all my stamina before it refreshes.

That will start to change early on once you get past the wealth of FF4 and FF6 dungeons.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    @Magus` see if you can knock out a few daily dungeons or event dungeons if you have extra stamina since they never give stamina shards.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    My average level is 12 and from the looks of it, current event dungeons would murder me. I did the easiest daily one, though!

Some questions:
    When should I start focusing on upgrading things? So far it seems very cost prohibitive gil wise.

Should I be saving growth eggs for something?

When should I splurge on relics? I assume there are certain times it would be better to spend the mythril.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    My average level is 12 and from the looks of it, current event dungeons would murder me. I did the easiest daily one, though!

Some questions:
    When should I start focusing on upgrading things? So far it seems very cost prohibitive gil wise.

When should I splurge on relics? I assume there are certain times it would be better to spend the mythril.

Always do events until you can't do them anymore. Even the lowest level ones. The rewards are much better than what you would get from story dungeons of similar difficulty.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

Some questions:

Do whatever events you can. I'd use Growth eggs on Cloud and Tyro (of your party right now) since they'll always be useful. The others I would just save until you find a party member you want or need them for a particular event. At your level they're best used rather than saved. When you have a good cast of characters most people save eggs to level up a character as a requirement for a particular boss objective during an event.

Splurging for relics is probably best during Soulbreak Festivals. We just had one so there's not going to be another for a few months. The beginner banner would be really good for you also since it guarantees a character relic and gives a shot at other relics. It would give you a good character relic and potential relics for other relatively early accessible characters.

Other then that I say splurge on relics for characters you like or save for when certain relics are on banners. There's generally a holy trinity of relics you want. There is Sentinel's Grimoire/Thyrus (they give a buff usually referred to as Wall that raises defense and resistance), a hastega + other effect relic (you'll usually see Lunatic High or Boon referenced), and a heal all relic (usually a shared SB or a white mage character type relic with a group heal + other effect).

I'd not worry about upgrading anything as a new player except for 5 star stuff you get. That Danjuro is probably worth upgrading since it will be a good weapon for you for a long time.

Cirira on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Defender X down. But more importantly?

AWESOME SWORD TIME
    r8n9k975atz0.png

Celes has a beautiful monster.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Is that the Glowy sword attack that is wind element for some reason or the absorby one?
    I've been using Celes quite a bit since it turns out her SB for the wind attack one does as much damage as Rinoa's SSB.
    Also Terras SSB is apparently better than Rinoas in every way by a lot.
    Rinoa has 5 attacks x10
    Terra has 10 attacks x15
    Crazy.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

Some questions:

1* and 2* equipment will eventually be useless only good for selling, 3* will be your go to for realm specific gear (gear of the same realm as the dungeon gets bonus stats), 5* is the best and always the priority but also really rare, 4* fits between 3*/5* in terms of power versus rarity. Focus on your 5*s first then I'd recommend upgrading gear that shares synergy with the dungeons you're working. At the start that's IV and VI and since we have a IV event popping up doubly so.

Eventually Gil will not be a problem, so don't feel bad about splurging. Just know that using gear instead of upgrade materials (adamantite for armor, scarlatite for weapons) is more expensive.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    most events seem to give a 3* weapon and armor in the first 2-3 stages so even if that's all you can manage at first, it'll boost you for future events/those realms' dungeons

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Is that the Glowy sword attack that is wind element for some reason or the absorby one?
    I've been using Celes quite a bit since it turns out her SB for the wind attack one does as much damage as Rinoa's SSB.
    Also Terras SSB is apparently better than Rinoas in every way by a lot.
    Rinoa has 5 attacks x10
    Terra has 10 attacks x15
    Crazy.

Rune Blade, so her x3 Wind SB. Especially with a buff, her damage output is outstanding.

My reward for dumping 115 mithril trying to get Organics.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    most events seem to give a 3* weapon and armor in the first 2-3 stages so even if that's all you can manage at first, it'll boost you for future events/those realms' dungeons

Speaking of, the first couple stages of the X event spit out 2 3* swords. I leveled these up to max, but is it more worthwhile to combine them for 1 better synergy weapon, or to keep them separate to have 2 slightly less powerful weapons?

I'm just now to the point where I'm ready to start focusing on making abilities and honing. I've got 70 stamina, and a group all around L40. I can get through the hard daily stages, but heroic poses problems. What abilities should I be focusing on? I have a 6 charge retaliate, a ruinga (which has been a godsend for the hard dailies), and some other stuffs.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    I'd combine them, they have a pretty awesome attack when you get three. Also note that unlike a lot of other games, you only need to max level ONE of them to combine.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Ok, I might combine them then. I leveled them both so 2 dudes could equip them.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    The final elite of the latest Dungeon Update with Exdeath 140 is no joke. I had a harder time with him than I did with the Ultimate fight a couple of weeks ago. His speed is absurd and even with a Wall SB, he puts out damage at an insane pace. I had a few close calls in my kill fight with him where the only reason I didn't S/L is an attack missed a character at critical HP, or left them with a magic pixel.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    The final elite of the latest Dungeon Update with Exdeath 140 is no joke. I had a harder time with him than I did with the Ultimate fight a couple of weeks ago. His speed is absurd and even with a Wall SB, he puts out damage at an insane pace. I had a few close calls in my kill fight with him where the only reason I didn't S/L is an attack missed a character at critical HP, or left them with a magic pixel.

Most of the DU have bosses that are weak to slow. Bring slow always

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    At what point does grinding for mats/gear/xp start? I'm doing FFVI dungeons at the moment. I don't have nearly enough mats to hone/create anything.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    How much stamina do you have? If you are under 60, I would honestly say to continue running story dungeons until you have at least 60 stamina.

I would also recommend immediately using any growth eggs you might acquire from login bonuses and other sources. Did you happen to get the big 5-star dump of eggs from the other day? I have a work friend who only started like two weeks ago at this game and he already has a party of 40-somethings because of all the free eggs they've been giving out.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    At what point does grinding for mats/gear/xp start? I'm doing FFVI dungeons at the moment. I don't have nearly enough mats to hone/create anything.

In the beginning, just keep doing Classic dungeons as far as you can go, stopping only do the Classic half of events. Clearing the whole Classic side of an event should be possible with Cloud wielding your 5* weapon and keeping the Retaliate buff up. Have all your other characters attack him. Try to bring high damage Roaming Warriors as well.

Once Sunday rolls around, you should grind EXP in the Daily Dungeon, as high a difficulty as you can manage.

On Tuesday, if you can clear the Hard Daily Dungeon, do that until you have enough Lesser Power Orbs for R5 Retaliate, and 1-2 copies of R4 Double Cut. Eventually you'll want to move up in difficulty on the Tuesdaily as well.

Eventually Classic dungeons might get too hard, in which case go back to the beginning and do Elite versions of dungeons you've already cleared.

• Options
    Classic side? Also I can't make Retaliate (R2?) just yet, sadly.

• Options
    R1 should be fine if you save it for the boss. Can you make boost or double cut?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    I have a Boost not equipped on anyone and Cloud came with Double Cut.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    are there any core characters worth leveling (beside WHM, BLM and summoner) i was thinking of using them (cores) to run the regular part of the event dungeons, since the characters i have for this event gain a pittance from the early levels

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Maguano wrote: Β»
    are there any core characters worth leveling (beside WHM, BLM and summoner) i was thinking of using them (cores) to run the regular part of the event dungeons, since the characters i have for this event gain a pittance from the early levels

Short answer:no. Pedantic answer:Tyro.

Focus on the FF2 charecters since they generally have good RMs and will not have many events (specifically Joseph and Ricard).

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    forgot tyro is core (he's in his 50s)
    thanks re: the F2 tip. paging Dr Ricard your time has come.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Anyone know at what point +Damage is better than +Attack?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Agree with the earlier thoughts posted earlier. Ultimate Yunalesca is a chump compared to the Elite Yunalesca fight. She cast Holy twice, which did little since I had Shellga up. A medica from the Healing Rod (IX) I've been throwing on my WM brought everyone back up once the Sap ticks started to bring them lower then I liked.

• Options
    Holy with Shellga up was still hitting me for 2.5k ish. Wasn't really doable for me without curing the sap. Why was the 99 so much harder?

38thDoE on steam

This discussion has been closed.