As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warframe] lets you murder things as a space ninja

DarmakDarmak RAGEvympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Games and Technology
This OP originally written by @TOGSolid, and quite definitely in need of overhauls. Yell if you find any inaccuracies!

PLEASE STATE WHETHER YOU ARE ON PC, PS4 or XBone WHEN ASKING FOR AN INVITE TO THE PA CLAN

warframe_logo_by_jackshepardn7-d681vst.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzMaXVxpLQ
We play on the Penny Arcade Ventrilo server, it's dangerous to go alone, take this!
http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php
Host: vent15.gameservers.com
Port: 4384
Password: Ask one of the thread regulars!

The Official PA Warframe Player List!

This OP brought to you by a pitcher of Alaska Summer Ale and the bar on the M/V Taku where I wrote this.

What is Warframe?
Warframe is a free to play, 3rd person co-op shooter, developed by Digital Extremes on the Evolution Engine and is available for PC, Xbox One, and the PS4. In Warframe you play as a member of the Tenno, a group of highly skilled space ninjas armed with everything from swords and guns to magic like powers. The Tenno run an assortment of missions throughout the solar system that range from simple extermination missions to having to capture high value targets. You can play all of the missions alone, with your buddies, or with completely random pickup groups and they can be approached however you want. Whether you want to try and sneak through with stealth weaponry or just start setting the entire place on fire with your flamethrower Warframe has something for everyone’s play style!
Warframe is also big on customization. Both your weapons and your frames can be altered to have different properties by using the mods that you get from running missions. You can make your bow shoot exploding arrows or turn your frame into a power spamming artillery cannon.
Warframe had plans for cross-platform play between the PS4 and PC but due to the cert process taking so long, the PC version of the game is always ahead in terms of version number and whatnot so that won't be changing any time soon.
TLDR: It’s like Mass Effect 3’s multiplayer with a lot of the really stupid shit taken out and space ninja country gravy poured on.

The quick start guide for space ninjas that just want to go slit some throats right fucking now.
1.) Get Warframe installed via Steam or the PS Store or on the Xbox One
2.) Create an account
3.) After logging in with your minty fresh account you will play through a short tutorial and will need to select a starter frame. They break down as follows:
Excalibur – Excalibur is an all-around solid frame that focuses heavily on punching and shooting things in the face. His powers all revolve around getting in and kicking the shit out of the bad guys and in the case of Slash Dash, doing both at the same time. For a long time he was the top recommendation for newer players, but Mag’s buffs have made her a much more attractive choice. Regardless, he’s still one of the easiest frames to get into the game with thanks to his straightforward powers and great durability.
Volt - Volt has the power to wield and bend electricity. He is highly versatile, armed with powerful abilities that can damage enemies, provide cover and complement the ranged and melee combat of his cell. The electrical nature of his abilities make him highly effective against the Corpus, with their robots in particular. He is one of three starter options for new players. (this description stolen directly from the Warframe wiki)
Mag - A caster frame through and through, Mag is probably the funniest frame in the game to watch at work due to her Pull power ragdolling entire packs of enemies. While not an inherently durable frame hitpoint wise she can still give zero fucks about the opposition thanks to her ability to essentially Force Pull entire packs of bad guys to the ground and her ability to redirect shots being fired at her does a lot to keep her up and running. Mag is a very solid starter pick and her powers scale wonderfully well into the high level areas.
4.) The game will then direct you to the very first mission. Start tearing through Mercury and have fun!
5.) Buy the Braton (not the Mk.1, the other one) as soon as possible! The starter Mk.1 is a piece of crap that you will quickly outgrow. The regular Braton will serve you well for a while and can be easily purchased with a few credits.

The Great Playstation 4 Information Center - Courtesy of super Tenno bro @Hahnsoo1
1.) When you download Warframe (it's free!), you also download a patch automatically. After booting the title with the patch, then you download an update in-game (about 250MB) before you start to play. Occasionally, this third download (the update in-game) will hardlock your PS4. Fortunately, there is a download cache so you don't lose any progress, but when this occurs, you'll have to hold your power button for 30 seconds to power off your system. Don't pull your power cable unless there is no other alternative.
2.) PS Plus users can download a free Starter Pack (you can find this separately at the "PlayStation Store") which includes 100 Platinum, 50,000 credits, a few free Mods (Falcon Mod pack), and 3 day Affinity/Credit booster.
3.) There is currently a bug in which you cannot select a stack of more than 1 in your Inventory to sell. D'oh! You can sell a single blueprint just fine, but a stack of, say, 4 blueprints appears to not work. You can press L1 and R1 to change the stack size, but there is no way to select OK or Cancel.
4.) I have not figured out a way to get Party Chat to work with this game. If you are in a Party, you can't hear the in-game Group Chat, either.
5.) Crossplay with PC is not implemented yet, but is coming in the future.
6.) The in-game Friends list is separate from your PS Friends list, so you'll have to add your friends in-game manually. Presumably, this is because of the Crossplay functionality.
7.) To get party chat working: Open a party while the game is running and shut off the in-game chat in the options. Set the Chat Audio Priority to the Party in the Party screen.
pTq3bRb.jpg
The Space Knights of Arcadia – The official Penny Arcade PC clan!
The Space Knights Prime Trading Doc! A great list of who has what in the clan available for trading.
Joining a clan in Warframe grants access to the clan dojo. This is a user built base that functions as a physical hangout complete with dick around rooms like an obstacle course to practice your ninja flips in, a dueling room, and much more pertinent facilities like the research labs. Of everything you can build in the dojo the research labs are the most important. They unlock a huge array of weapons and Sentinels that are unavailable through normal means and require a communal effort via resource donation to acquire the blueprints for.
The Space Knights of Arcadia already have the majority of research complete (mostly because the old regulars for this game are insane) so joining up will grant you instantaneous access to all of these features! Joining is as simple as letting us know what your in-game name is in the thread, what system you’re playing on, and one of the veterans will grant you access. While there is decent in-game VOIP we still all hang out on Ventrilo. We may switch to the in-game depending on how Crossplay works out so that both PC and PS4 PA bros can enjoy Kashaar’s sultry German accent and my drunk dick jokes.

We Are Nice Guys – The official Penny Arcade PS4 clan!
For an invite to the shiny new PS4 PA clan, We Are Nice Guys, PM @Nightslyr with your PSN/Warframe name. WANG has its dojo up and running so get out there and start researching more dakka! Note: Clan invites must be manually accepted/denied (options button on the main screen).

@Nightslyr‌ wanted me to let you all know:
I haven't played since late spring last year. I logged in for the last time around Thanksgiving to add someone to the clan, but it was full. I started a barracks in the dojo, but dunno if it's been completed. From what I can tell, clan WANG is essentially defunct.

That said, I did give most of the first 20-30 members full admin powers, so if someone else wants to take over, they likely can right away. I'm not sure if it's possible to actually transfer the clan leader title to another player, or if there are important mechanics that require the title, but I'll transfer it to whomever wants it if that is indeed the case. PM me @Nightslyr if you want the title.

The big list of shit this game doesn’t tell you about.
Ok, it’s not really all that big but there are some important bits of information this game does not tell you about that you’re going to want to know beforehand. The lack of under the hood information is my one big criticism about this game but it is being worked on a little bit and the Codex introduced in Update 11 has done a lot to alleviate this issue. However, there are some things not really well explained or even mentioned so this section is devoted to that information. This list will be constantly updated and if it needs something added to it let me know.
Damage 2.0
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0
That link will tell you everything you need to know about the system and include charts for each faction.

Parkour 2.0
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Maneuvers
This link will tell you about the new and improved parkour movement system, including slides, double jumps, bullet jumps, and bullet glides. Super useful stuff!

Grouping
Grouping itself is pretty straight forward but what's not mentioned about it is that you can invite someone to your session and they will be able to run missions you have unlocked but they don't. After the mission is completed that player will then have that mission unlocked and will then be able to start doing all the surrounding missions.
warframe.jpg
Odds and Ends

Hay, I reelly liek Naruto can I…
NO, GO AWAY!

Wait, where’s the technical support section!?
Because it’s never really been an issue with this game actually. It sounds like the PS4 version might have some peculiarities to it but that is way out of the realm of things I know anything about. As mentioned at the start of this I will need help getting something for the PS4 players together if needed. As far as the PC side of things go this game is actually really damn stable thanks to Digital Extreme’s using their own proprietary engine. Any oddities you run into are 99.999999999% of the time due to a bug we can’t do anything about on the client side of things but DE is very fast about fixing those. The only things worth noting are that you may want to turn off PhysX particles and Bloom since they tend to cause the screen to look like a New Year’s Day fireworks display which can get grating on a small screen, but that’s a matter of personal taste. But really, this game doesn’t have any real technical issues requiring a big ole write up for so that’s that.
If you are having technical issues do not hesitate to ask for help in the thread and if they ever do come up I will be sure to start listing them here and create a proper tech help section. Be sure to submit a ticket at https://support.warframe.com if you are having issues.

Is there a way to track alerts out of game?
Yes there is! Internet denizen King Taro put together a website based alert tracker: http://www.kingtaro.com/warframe/ This tracker will play a sound whenever a new alert goes up and it has the option to filter cash alerts out entirely. There is also a Facebook page, Twitter account, and Android app. Warframe Nexus is on iOS and Android platforms, and just recently got an update that not only lets you keep track of alerts, but lets you start and finish item builds and do various other things from your phone. The update is a bit rough and needs a bit more work but overall is pretty nice.

What is the Design Council?
For a long time Warframe was offering starter packs. The Master and Grand Master packs, however, came with access to what is known as the Design Council. These packs granted access to a forum in which ideas for new frames, new features, and so forth are bounced off the community for feedback. This group of players act essentially as a player based focus group for Digital Extremes to bounce upcoming features off of. For instance, Valkyr was originally presented to us as the Berserker with a very different power list than what she has now. The original concept art they showed us for her also had her a fair bit lither than what she is now. What originally started out as a request from the devs for a third power idea for her ended up as a 60 page discussion about how all four of her powers weren’t very good and how they could be improved. The result is the Valkyr we have now which is proving to be a ton of fun. Occasionally the devs will also give the Council a chance to design a frame or Sentinel that will then get put into the game (Nova and Carrier both came from these sort of sessions). The Design Council also has a dedicated in game chat room but it’s not all that different from the standard global chat though it does tend to be a fair bit more sane due to the aforementioned requirement of having purchased either the Master or Grandmaster packs so everyone tends to lean towards the “adults with lives” side of the demographic.
The devs do read the regular forums and interact with the community there (they even hang out in the game’s global chat regularly) so don’t think your opinion doesn’t matter just because you aren’t in the Council! Warframe is a very community orientedgame and the level of attention everyone gets from DE is one of the things that makes this game as great as it is. There is talk of allowing ways for people to join the Design Council now that the original packs are gone, DE is just trying to figure out a good and fair way to do it that doesn’t result in the Council getting a little too crowded.

Didn’t Digital Extremes make Dark Sector?
Yes they did and that game was originally supposed to be Warframe before, in the grand tradition of the industry, the publishers deemed it “too risky” and completely altered the design of the game. The original trailer for the game looked almost exactly like what we have now. The “hero” of Dark Sector has the last name of Tenno and once he is fully powered up ends up running around in armor that looks a lot like Warframe’s Excalibur frame. The Infested infection is a huge part of the story and even the Lotus’s symbol appears in game. Dark Sector has been confirmed to be part of the overall Warframe story so if you enjoy Warframe a lot it’s recommended to go pick up Dark Sector off Steam or wherever console guys get their 360 and PS3 games from. It’s pretty cheap and fun to play from the angle of seeing how it evolved into Warframe and because it serves as a big chunk of the lore of Warframe. You basically get to be the original Tenno though do be warned, playing Dark Sector will leave you even more curious about wtf is going on in Warframe but discovering the history of everything in this game is proving to be a pretty fun aspect unto itself.
Dark Sector is definitely a bit rough around the edges but dismembering people with the glaive never really gets old. It should run on basically anything these days so give it a go! I hope that Digital Extremes sent a letter back to their old publisher that simply said I TOLD YOU SO with a picture of the devs rolling around on hundred dollar bills, hookers, and blow.

If anyone wants to read up more on the game, here's a link to the Warframe Wiki. Like most other wikis it's kept reasonably up to date and is full of useful information for new and old players alike.

JtgVX0H.png
Darmak on

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I just stole the OP from the last thread because it works well enough and I'm super lazy. Have at it!

JtgVX0H.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Consider your it haved at.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    God, we really need an updated OP. That is super out of date.

I'm at work on my phone at the moment but I should have access to a computer with internet soon. I'll go through the OP and update things as needed then, so if you have suggestions just PM me and I'll see what I can do.

JtgVX0H.png
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    thx to the new op! i considered making a new thread, but i've felt so burned out of the game recently. only logging in to do some daily stuff and pull/make forma's.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I got a 75% off coupon as a login bonus and figured I might as well spend a little bit of money on this game I've spent over 200 hours on, so I bought 370 platinum. Now I don't even know what I would want to spend plat on besides warframe/weapon slots.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Haven't played in the better part of a year but a friend told me to check out the Second Dream.

Hopped on, got bit by the bug and now I'm the better part of sixty hours into it again.

Chroma currently has 12 hours left to go, just had Nezha pop out today and also hit MR12 so I can start burning up all this Syndicate standing that has been building up.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    There's been a platinum sale going on on the xbox one (IDK if it's up on the other platforms), just a heads up.

Got an irradiating disarm and I think I'm going to try my hand at this clear a T4 Exterminate with only headshots achievement tomorrow. Should be fun.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I got a 75% off coupon as a login bonus and figured I might as well spend a little bit of money on this game I've spent over 200 hours on, so I bought 370 platinum. Now I don't even know what I would want to spend plat on besides warframe/weapon slots.

Cosmetics... cosmetics as far as the eye can see!

1Gn4PNI.png
    Bought my Vaykor Hek and got it leveled, potatoed and modded.

Daddy likes.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Last night I ran a 3 for 3 Assassination on Levantius and how have Nekros cooking in the hopper.

Ugh, getting enough Alad V cords to get Mesa is going to be a bear. I might try a Key share via reddit and see if others are hunting as well.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    Last night I ran a 3 for 3 Assassination on Levantius and how have Nekros cooking in the hopper.

Ugh, getting enough Alad V cords to get Mesa is going to be a bear. I might try a Key share via reddit and see if others are hunting as well.

Keyshare is definately the way to go for Mesa.

Mind you these days she's only really necessary if you're a completionist, the nerf she was dealt went farther than it needed to.

I don't have any T4 Exterminate Keys! lol... still have like a million T4 Captures. >_>

Ivara finished and I ran a mission with her. I like the option to pick arrows but gotta get used to the beat in activating the power as a result.

So gotta hit the market for a key, but first... pancakes.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    T4 capture... Wouldn't you just run that as fast as possible over and over?

What is this I don't even.
    edited January 2016
    Nah, there's nothing on the tables there that I need atm.

Trying to do the clear a T4 Ext mission with only headshots achievement today.

edit: got a key, time to fail a lot!

tastydonuts on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I'm on a roll. Ran T3 MD and got both of the Boltor Prime parts. Off to hut T1 and T4 for the rest of the parts.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Anyone have some input on what mod I should work on maxing next? This'd be what I've got maxed so far:
    7frsPof.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Seeing that makes me wish there was a Primed Hyperion Thruster mod. Shit would be insane

JtgVX0H.png
    Hyperion Thruster is already a 10-rank mod, a Primed version wouldn't be any different.

Make it a 20-rank mod then!

JtgVX0H.png
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    The very first sortie I did I got a legendary core. A 20 rank mod would be what I spend it on.

...watch the first 20 rank mod be something like prime hawk eye or something.

Here's a pic of severen and I doing today's first sortie mission. We were fooling around with Ivara's ziplines and I hit f12 at just the right moment to capture the last remaining enemy's sniper shot that took out severen.

5E7774E076A6A83A197E0E2A1268988FAD9F06D4

JtgVX0H.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Anyone have some input on what mod I should work on maxing next? This'd be what I've got maxed so far:
    7frsPof.jpg
    Primed Fast Hands.

edited January 2016
    So... this is worst achievement I've encountered in a very long time. Such a terrible idea... and now I understand why it came to be:
    First prize and winner of the Ash Prime Access Pack and Prime Accessories Pack: Dilluvium for the entry 'No Brainer': As a squad or solo, complete a Tower IV Exterminate with only headshots.

A player thought this nonsense up. I'm not surprised that this player's gamertag and general internet presence disappears shortly thereafter.

Got to 109/129 kills and Dread decided to shoulder shot a guy to death. I'm guessing it's due to multishot but I was pretty close to the guy and pointing directly at his head... and this happened a few times. Other failure highlights include shooting one guy in the head, having the arrow gib the next guy who happened to be a descendant of Achilles. Never mind that you have no way of knowing if you've failed the achievement's requirements unless you track every single kill you make. More than a few aborts came from my kill tracker bumping up from a radial disarm killing someone... or ancient infested tanking slash procs because fuck you.

Supposedly, killing drones, rollers, infested, and Vor doesn't count against you. I have no way of knowing.

However, I'm 90% certain that I just lost out on the achievement on the 130 some odd enemy run that I just finished because the headshot didn't kill the target, and proc'd a goddamn slash effect. The game's very mechanics work against you. Such a terrible idea.

edit: the thing was a goddamn level 40 leech eximus too, so yeah.

edit2: 50 some kills into the next run, the game hard crashes. :|

tastydonuts on
    The absurdity that is clearing a T4 Exterminate with only headshot kills is complete. The thirst of the lasers has been thoroughly quenched.

Sortie season 3 is up on PC, dera vandal parts have been swapped out for karak wraith parts, everything else looks the same.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Am I right in assuming that you can only get Nezha parts from the sorties?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming that you can only get Nezha parts from the sorties?

They're tradable, but otherwise yes.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Sortie season 3 is up on PC, dera vandal parts have been swapped out for karak wraith parts, everything else looks the same.

I'm not sure if lucked out is the right was to say it, but I just got the last Dera Vandal part from yesterday's sortie.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I should really figure out something that's capable of running sorties

steam_sig.png
    I have given up and just practiced until I can do spy Sorties on my own.

Doing them in a group is just waaay too frustrating.

Ember or Resonance Banshee are both great for Sorties.

• kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    The only sorties you should need groups for are interception, maybe defense. Most of the others you can just stealth through.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Valkyr is great for interception / defense. Hysteria / Warcry for general killing, and Paralyze / leaping / sliding attacks for tougher enemies.

I just switch between that and Loki depending on mission type. Maybe Excalibur for the general exterminates.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah I took to using Loki until I got tired of Grineer consoles and stopped doing sorties. Corpus consoles for me plz

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Anyone have a spare Lex Prime Receiver?

steam_sig.png
    I might, but we're in a parallel universe.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I've been away for a while, what the heck are sorties and how long do they take to farm for parts

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited January 2016
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I've been away for a while, what the heck are sorties and how long do they take to farm for parts

They're basically a thing you can do once a day. They're 3 missions long and are high level, but depending on the enemy type and mission type it can sometimes end up being super quick and easy. Each mission also has a special condition associated with it, like only being able to use shotguns/melee/bows/sniper rifles/etc. for one mission and increased enemy shields/armor for another or halved energy levels or enemies deal additional radiation/fire/toxic/etc. damage. Once you beat all three of the sortie missions you get one reward from the sortie pool, which range from weapon parts to Nezha parts to 50 fusion cores, etc. The reward pool changes every 15 days so if you don't like the current rewards you'll get a chance for other stuff later.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    Olivaw wrote: »

You know how they ran events a couple of times where there would be some sort of unique condition like "Melee only" or "Enemy has boosted shields" and you earned emblems and some sort of reward for beating three separate waves? And enemies eventually scaled up really high.

Basically those, but they're randomised now and instead of having set rewards you're probably going to get parts for a gun, maaaaybe fusion cores or pooooossibly Nezha.

They're not too bad, but avoid doing them with random pubs.

• DakkarethDakkareth Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    No dera vandal or nezha parts for me so far :(. A ton of lenses, but since they dropped in price selling them is useless too.

I've actually done almost all of them with randoms. Well, the ones where you need a group and can't just stealth!Loki your way through.

Dakkareth on
This discussion has been closed.