As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Pots and Pans?

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
I'm looking for recommendations on a new set of pots and pans. I have a glass-top electric stove and I'm looking to spend under $200. I'm hoping to find something in a store (like Target) so I can go look at it before I buy it, but I'm not 100% against ordering them online.

I'd like to get something that has two sauce pans (small and large), two skillets, a saute pan, a big cooker (6 quart, I believe) and lids.

I was looking at the Rachael Ray stuff at Target, and the reviews seem very good, but I don't know if I can do better or what. My store has this and this, for reference.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Tramontina Cookware is usually considered one of the best budget cookware sets/brands. Honestly I think sets are a waste of money and you're better off going to a restaurant supply store and buying what you want off the shelf. It wont be as pretty, but it's what cooks use every day around the world. I'd also recommend against buying an entire set of non-stick. If you need a non stick pan for eggs or pancakes or whatnot, buy one nonstick pan.

Edit: By restaurant supply I don't mean Kitchen Kaboodle or some other trendy retailer. Depending on your location someone here may actually even be able to recommend a place, we have lots of professional cooks/chefs around the board.

ahh here is the Tramontina set that was raved about on Americas Test Kitchen and a few other spots recently. 8-piece stainless steel.

Still I'd buy things one piece at a time. Single pans show up on overstock.com and stuff all the time and really the 10" saute pan size in sets seems too small to me.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I bought a set of T-Fal cookware off Amazon a few years ago and love them.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=kitchen&field-keywords=t-fal

I also picked up this years ago for a large nonstick pan option (11") and it's been amazing. No warping, no sticking, no flaking.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Honestly I think sets are a waste of money and you're better off going to a restaurant supply store and buying what you want off the shelf. It wont be as pretty, but it's what cooks use every day around the world.

Er, be careful with this notion. These products aren't the best just because they're in a restaurant. They're designed to be serviceable and easily replaced. And if you're looking for top notch from one of these places, you're going to pay for it. But for your average restaurant looking for pots and pans from a supplier, they aren't buying the greatest stuff.

We have some cheapy T-fal stuff for things like frying eggs.

Then we have some Lagostina stuff for less delicate foods.

I would recommend picking as choosing pieces, though, rather than going with a set. Unless you can find a major bargain. You're going to end up with stuff you never use.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Like any tool, you really do get what you pay for with cookware. But it's also kind of important to think about the kind of cooking you'll be doing.

If your planning on doing a lot of cooking from scratch your needs are rather different than if your just cooking a few vegetables and a bit of meat.

For example, if you're wanting to cook down sauces or make stocks, then it's really important to have really solid bases on the pans. But you do pay for that. If you get good quality then you can get pans that will last you a lifetime.

So if you're really doing serious cooking, then your much better to pick up a smaller number of good quality pans individually than a set.

I'd start with a really good quality frying pan & a casserole that's also usable on the stove top like this. And stay away from teflon or other non-stick coatings, they tend to not last. I favour anodised for pots and cast iron for pans, but that's as much personal preference.

But it only makes sense to go this way if your going to doing a lot of cooking. If your just looking to get some basics in the kitchen then there are cheaper options.

As others have said, it's not usually worth buying a set in reality, buy individual items. The exception to this rule in my experience is a basic 2 or 3 pot set, just to give you a couple of different sizes to boil things in. But do compare to buying the individual pots as it's not always cheaper.

orthanc
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Hi, I'd like to talk to you today about our Lord and Saviour, the 6-quart Lodge Enamel Dutch Oven.

I currently own and love the 3qt model, and while I'd love to replace it with a 6qt, we already have enough kitchenware and this thing will most likely outlast my unborn children. It is ideal for sauces and chilis and whatever else you want to cook in bulk. The cast iron will take a long time to heat up, but it holds heat especially well and is safe to transfer from the stovetop to the oven. Also, the enamel finish is remarkably solid and mine only has a few chips along the very edges to show for ... shit, seven or eight years of frequent use?

Echoing @Orthanc on the non-stick coatings. I've used both anodised aluminium, and seasoned cast-iron, and both are amazingly hardy (the latter requires a bit more upkeep and investment, but it pays dividends in the long term and there's no better pan to fry an egg in).

(Also, I did a quick Google and it seems as if cast iron is safe to use on glass cooktops, as long as you're careful not to drag the pans around. But I have no personal experience so hopefully someone else can weigh in on whether it's actually a terrible idea.)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Is it an induction stovetop? That's the kind you can put an ice cube next to a boiling pot of water as it's only heating the pot.

If so, make sure you find cookware that works with induction.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I like the Emerilware I have (stainless), as it's not too spendy and the tops for the sauce pans have holes in the side so you don't need to use a strainer or colander.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Is it an induction stovetop? That's the kind you can put an ice cube next to a boiling pot of water as it's only heating the pot.

If so, make sure you find cookware that works with induction.

Most will, anything magnetic works with induction.

I think stainless steel isn't magnetic? I'm actually not 100% sure.

I wish I could remember the brand of pots and pans I have - they're amazing. I got 'em from Visa Rewards so I can't imagine they're very expensive either. I'll check 'em when I get home.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I think stainless steel isn't magnetic? I'm actually not 100% sure.
    It may or may not be magnetic, that depends on the particular alloy of the steel and how it is processed. A lot of the cookware I've seen tends to advertise that it is compatible with induction cooktops, and that includes the popular (and rather affordable) Tramontina Tri-Ply sets.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Hi, I'd like to talk to you today about our Lord and Saviour, the 6-quart Lodge Enamel Dutch Oven.

I respectfully disagree. The real life-changing cookware isn't stovetop-to-oven, it's stovetop-to-dishwasher. ;)

Lately, my weapon of choice is the 5 quart SS-clad saute pan (I got this one as a gift, here's another that's somewhat within OP's budget. But how much is it worth to never wash pots and pans again?).

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If going non stick, make sure you have some non-metal spatulas and such so you don't scratch the coating

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't want to turn this into a religious argument, but personally I wouldn't worry about dishwasher-ability if your focus is on serious cooking.

And lot of things are either not dishwasher safe, or degrade if dishwashed. Wooden spoons, good knifes etc all should be kept away from a dishwasher, so you'll be doing dishes regardless.

Good quality pots and pans, when treated well are pretty easy to clean in my experience. So I never find it that bigger deal. When it comes to seasoned cast iron, it requires little more than a rice as almost nothing sticks unless you burn something badly.

But again, this is really only applicable if you cook for pleasure and have the time. In other circumstances I would probably choose differently. And I haven't used the pans Pure Din linked to, so perhaps the differences have become less extreme.

orthanc
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Pure Din wrote: »

I respectfully disagree. The real life-changing cookware isn't stovetop-to-oven, it's stovetop-to-dishwasher. ;)

Lately, my weapon of choice is the 5 quart SS-clad saute pan (I got this one as a gift, here's another that's somewhat within OP's budget. But how much is it worth to never wash pots and pans again?).
    I'm not going to lie, I've lusted after All-Clad for a long time and if I ever had to start over I'd use them for anything stainless. But even your budget model is literally 5c under his budget for one pan, and the Lodge's enamelled surface is easy enough to clean that I've never once thought to try it in the dishwasher (it's allegedly dishwasher-safe).

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I honestly have never put a pot or pan in a dishwasher. They're usually pretty easy to clean. If they aren't, you let those suckers soak until they are.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular

I'm not going to lie, I've lusted after All-Clad for a long time and if I ever had to start over I'd use them for anything stainless. But even your budget model is literally 5c under his budget for one pan, and the Lodge's enamelled surface is easy enough to clean that I've never once thought to try it in the dishwasher (it's allegedly dishwasher-safe).

You're right, that's not a good example because All-Clad is still an expensive brand. For what it's worth, Cooks Illustrated recommends this saute pan, which is only $80 for the 5.5 quart. On the other hand, there are tons of people who would pay $200-300 for Le Cruset Dutch ovens, even though it's pretty much the same as the Lodge.

(Slightly off-topic, how heavy is a 6 quart enameled dutch oven? The reason I thought they weren't dishwasher safe isn't because of the material, but because it would be too heavy...)

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    You can't go wrong with a Lodge cast iron skillet and dutch oven. They will outlive you.

Congrats on finally getting the recipe for Krabby Patties.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

You're right, that's not a good example because All-Clad is still an expensive brand. For what it's worth, Cooks Illustrated recommends this saute pan, which is only $80 for the 5.5 quart. On the other hand, there are tons of people who would pay $200-300 for Le Cruset Dutch ovens, even though it's pretty much the same as the Lodge.

(Slightly off-topic, how heavy is a 6 quart enameled dutch oven? The reason I thought they weren't dishwasher safe isn't because of the material, but because it would be too heavy...)

Tramonita 6.5 quart dutch oven comes in right under 18 lbs shipped.

They aren't dishwasher safe because they usually still have some exposed iron on the rim.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA